PDA

View Full Version : Trailer bunks

truksnboats
10-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey guys, im sure this has come up more than once but I am in the process of rehabing my trailer. Any suggestions on what type of carpet to cover the 2x6"s with? Thanks

ratso
10-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Hey guys, im sure this has come up more than once but I am in the process of rehabing my trailer. Any suggestions on what type of carpet to cover the 2x6"s with? Thanks
Marine...

david_396
10-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Glued my carpet down with LIQUID NAIL adhesive. Works and holds up great.

HocusPocus
10-14-2006, 05:22 PM
i used the same marine carpet i put in the boat, good glue then stainless staples to keep it in place, only on the underneath side. :rollside:

ThongMagnet
10-14-2006, 07:57 PM
I used Home depot green wood.
Lowe's marine black carpet, use their outdoor carpet glue.
Stapled carpet to bunk with galvinized staples.
Also Stainless steal hardware to attach bunks.
Be sure to take a few pictures of how old bunks are attached before removing them, for future reference.

david_396
10-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Glued my carpet down with LIQUID NAIL adhesive. Works and holds up great.
Homie Depot carpet also without using staples.

Froggystyle
10-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Make sure you don't use pressure treated lumber. (The green stuff) It is designed to keep bugs from eating it, but it DOES NOT hold up to water. The way they PT it is to jam a bunch of blades into it and forcing in a bug preventative. All of those blade holes make places for water to collect, stay and rot. The treatment will not keep it from rotting, and the punctures will make it rot a lot faster.
Get a good quality kiln-fried fir or something for the bunks. Use full on bolts from the top side (counter-sunk) and counter-sink nuts from the bottom side. That will hold your bolt in place without having to worry about a carriage bolt slipping, which they always do. As has been said, wrap the carpet around the bunk and staple from the back side with monel, stainless or galvanized staples. No glue needed. Rubber-backed outdoor carpet works good, and they sell it at HD.
Make sure your ends are wrapped without a break. Make your slits on the sides, so that both fore and aft the bunks will wear on the edge properly without having the carpet fray. I also recommend radiusing the corners of the bunks to keep the edge not as sharp on the carpet inside.
Have fun!

YeLLowBoaT
10-14-2006, 08:24 PM
I used "bunk carpet" it comes on a role . its cheap and ez. I glued( out door carpet adhesive...) and nailed it with my roofing nailer. I used red wood. If your really anal, you could go buy a quart of a good "slow dry" oil base ext primer( unless your in CA... gd fooking tree huggers) and prime, then top coat with a oil based ext paint.

Nubbs
10-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Champions Trailers sells rolls of carpet in pre-cut widths for bunks. I think the website is www.championtrailers.com.

truksnboats
10-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the help guys!! So the trailer is going to be white as well as the boat with blue accents. What color carpet should I do the bunks? Gray??

ratso
10-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the help guys!! So the trailer is going to be white as well as the boat with blue accents. What color carpet should I do the bunks? Gray??
Blue.