PDA

View Full Version : Bank of America Fraud?

Cole Sanger
10-15-2006, 12:18 AM
I am not 100% sure, but I might have just received a pretty official looking e-mail that I think is fraud. It comes from "online banking". Basically it looks like a letter from my bank saying that I changed my primary e-mail address. It says if this is false, that I should click the link below and log in to verify. It says that this e-mail is deliberately being sent to my old e-mail address. I have two problems with this. One is I didn't change anything. Second is that if I roll over any of the links including "contact us", it shows that it is going to send me to www.bofa-banking.org. I pulled up this address and it looks real close to the bankofamerica.com website. But when I click any of the links, it says the page could not be found...the typical HTTP 404 - File not found error when internet explorer can't find a page.
Anyone know how to verify this as fraud? Anyone else get something similar?
Here is the bulk of the e-mail...
The primary email address you have registered for your Bank of America Online Banking Account was changed on 10/14/2006.
At Bank of America we care about your security so, for your protection we are proactively notifying you of this activity. This alert has deliberately been sent to your old email address. You should have also received a confirmation to your new email address.
If you did not change your email address, please sign in to Online Banking and review your email addresses.

YeLLowBoaT
10-15-2006, 12:19 AM
BofA does not send out emails.

Cole Sanger
10-15-2006, 12:21 AM
I get e-mails on my other e-mail account (the one I use with bankofamerica) for the online reminders about a new bill.

Rexone
10-15-2006, 12:52 AM
It's a scammer, I get them all the time... banks, paypal, etc.
If you suspect a problem with ANY account, logon to it through your normal login and never use a link in an email. Safe practice.
There are people who just harvest email addresses and send this crap out. If they get 1 out of 1000 to bite, they're making money.

CARLSON-JET
10-15-2006, 12:53 AM
I think somebody is phishing.. you can right click on the hyperlink provided and check the properties. if the address has sa yahho, google or bogus looking link file it under spam.

DelawareDave
10-15-2006, 01:00 AM
NEVER click a link in any unsolicted email, such as the one you got. Use either a normal search engine, like Google, or Yahoo, etc to get an address, or type in the name of the site you want to go to in the address bar. Hovering over a link can be spoofed, or you can be taken to a fake web-site. BofA web site address is BankofAmerica.com, not .org. It also uses a secure web page, as noted by the HTTPS at the beginning of the address, not HTTP.

Red Horse
10-15-2006, 05:23 AM
BoA will only send an email thru their online banking website. If you are not on their secure site, then it aint them :cool:

racecar.hotshoe
10-15-2006, 07:04 AM
Bank of America is aggressively investigating with law enforcement authorities a fraudulent e-mail sent this week from an individual posing as a Bank of America associate. This unauthorized e-mail asked recipients to enter personal financial information at a Web site masquerading as the Bank of America site. Bank of America became aware of the situation within hours of its onset and alerted authorities. The fraudulent site was quickly shut down.
Bank of America systems were not compromised in this scam and the company is unaware of any negative customer impact at this time. Details about the distribution and its source are under investigation.
"We alerted authorities and are working closely with them to solve this case and protect our customers,รถ said Robin Warren, privacy executive for Bank of America. It is important to emphasize that our systems were not compromised.
This is simply a new twist on an old scam that historically has been done mainly over the phone.
Bank of America does not contact customers to request or verify security information. However, when customers contact the bank, associates will ask for information to verify identities and ensure customer privacy and protection .
Consumers who have questions or believe they have been victims of fraud should call Bank of America Offices 877.833.5617, option No. 5

Boatcop
10-15-2006, 07:12 AM
If you do on-line banking with BofA, make sure your pre-selected picture and accompanying phrase on the log-in.
Also, any message that they send you will also be in your on-line file.
I've gotten similar emails from Capital One CC (which I have) and Discover Card (which I don't). Also Pay-Pal and Ebay, and a few others.
They're all scams.

Dribble
10-15-2006, 08:49 AM
I got one from Chase. Said my account was locked due to too many incorrect login attempts. Provided a link to enter my user ID and password. Problem is that I don't have an onlline account and never tried to login. Called Chase and they said it was a definitely scam.

KLEPTOW
10-15-2006, 10:36 AM
I always forward the offending emails to the security dept for the said institution, I dont have time to chase that shit down cause we get them every day.

deltaAce
10-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Allways phone the banks call center reguarding questionable e-mail notices from your financial institution.

buzzaro
10-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I am not 100% sure, but I might have just received a pretty official looking e-mail that I think is fraud. It comes from "online banking". Basically it looks like a letter from my bank saying that I changed my primary e-mail address. It says if this is false, that I should click the link below and log in to verify. It says that this e-mail is deliberately being sent to my old e-mail address. I have two problems with this. One is I didn't change anything. Second is that if I roll over any of the links including "contact us", it shows that it is going to send me to www.bofa-banking.org. I pulled up this address and it looks real close to the bankofamerica.com website. But when I click any of the links, it says the page could not be found...the typical HTTP 404 - File not found error when internet explorer can't find a page.
Anyone know how to verify this as fraud? Anyone else get something similar?
Here is the bulk of the e-mail...
The primary email address you have registered for your Bank of America Online Banking Account was changed on 10/14/2006.
At Bank of America we care about your security so, for your protection we are proactively notifying you of this activity. This alert has deliberately been sent to your old email address. You should have also received a confirmation to your new email address.
If you did not change your email address, please sign in to Online Banking and review your email addresses.
Call BofA directly or go the website that you already use for any online banking and check with them. The key is to use info you already have rather than what is newly sent or what can be found when you look them up....not the other way around.

Cole Sanger
10-15-2006, 04:48 PM
All very good information. I have received a few other e-mails in the past, but nothing this good.
Rex, thanks for the info. I do check my site picture, but I would hate to be someone that clicked the fake login and give them my SSN.