PDA

View Full Version : Sin Cal...crazy mofo rode his Harley thru this...

DILLIGAF
10-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Friday I got in here to BH about 1/2 hour before Sin Cal. You could see the storm building and coming up from Topock. As I came out of Safeway the storm was in all it's glory and I made a mad dash to the truck. The ride home from Safeway was pretty intense with lightning hitting everywhere, tons of rain and heavy winds. That is when I got a call from Sin Cal who had ridden his Harley down from Monterey. He was hiding in the car wash at the bottom of the bridge at Needles when you come into AZ. I told him he was going to hit rain. He got hit all the way down and even got hail in Tehachipi. Crazy mofo :)
Storms rip area; funnel clouds seen
Saturday, October 14, 2006 7:34 PM PDT
DAVE WELLER/Contributed FUNNEL: A tornado snakes its way toward earth in Golden Valley Saturday morning. Several rare twisters were spotted throughout the Tri-state.
TRI-STATE- Park rangers rescued dozens of stranded visitors at the popular Willow Beach and Black Canyon areas on the Arizona side of the Colorado River Saturday after a strong storm lashed the region.
Locally, funnel clouds were sighted in some parts of the Mohave Valley, Golden Valley and Kingman as a hard-hitting storm punched its way through the Tri-state Friday and Saturday.
The local impact included widespread power outages from King Street south through Golden Shores, caused by a Microburst around 5:30 p.m. Friday.
The storm caused a variety of damage throughout the lower Mohave Valley, with downed power lines, downed trees and some moderate structure damages reported.
Minor flooding of some local roadways and structures were also reported, according to a press release from the Mohave County Sheriff's Office Sunday.
Some roadways were blocked by downed trees and power lines and Mohave County Roads Department workers were attempting to clear the roadways Saturday in the wake of the powerful storm that hit the area Friday evening.
Highway 95 and scattered debris in the roadway causing some traffic problems and congestion.
A local Emergency Operation Center was activated in support of the weather and reported damages.
Mohave County Sheriff's Office and Mohave Valley Fire Department are working under a unified command.
Mohave Electric Cooperative representatives reported that major transmission lines were damaged which served the lower Mohave Valley and Golden Shores areas.
MEC officials said they hoped to have partial power restored to some areas by mid-morning and the remainder of the power restored Saturday. MEC officials did not return calls .
By mid-afternoon Saturday power was still out near River Valley High School, according to Barry Bower, whose power had been off for almost 24 hours. Bower said he rented a generator to keep the lights on in his own home.
The MCSO press release stated that residents need to stay in their homes when the power company re-energizes the power lines due to potential hazards that may occur when they energize the lines. Outside hazards may exist due to storm damages that may not be readily evident.
County Route 1 was re-opened for public access as of Saturday afternoon.
Officials with the National Parks Service said they rescued 36 boaters in Black Canyon whose tents, kayaks and canoes were washed away during hours of wind and rain overnight.
Another two dozen fishermen and boaters were cut off at the Willow Beach area when heavy rains caused severe road damage, said Roxanne Dey, a spokeswoman for the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. No one was reported injured or missing.
The tourists were being driven up the damaged road in 4-wheel-drive vehicles Saturday afternoon and were to be bused to Boulder City, Dey said.
The storm that moved into the area late Friday brought up to 2 inches of rain to the area around Lake Mead, said Charlie Schlott, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Las Vegas. Winds in excess of 50 mph were common.
The same storm system pummeled Needles, late Friday, knocking out power and police in Bullhead City, reported that a large circus tent had blown over, Schlott said.
No injuries were reported from the storm. More rain was forecast Saturday afternoon in Mohave County and southeastern Nevada.
The storm brought up to 1 1/2 inches of rain in Flagstaff and a tornado warning was briefly issued Saturday morning, but no damage was reported. In Phoenix, the weather service recorded about .07 of an inch of rain as of 7 a.m., with up to an inch in higher elevations north of the city. Areas of southern Arizona also received scattered rainfall.
The chance of rain across Arizona will diminish significantly Sunday, forecasters said.
Black Canyon, where the kayakers were stranded, runs from the Hoover Dam 13 miles south to Willow Beach and is the most popular part of the Lake Mead National Recreation Area for canoeing, rafting, hiking and fishing, Dey said. Half-day river rafting trips launch there and have been canceled for at least two days.
Heavy rain is not uncommon in the region and hikers and boaters need to be aware of the forecast and take appropriate precautions when warnings are issued, Schlott said.
‘‘A few years back around Nelson's Landing they had a similar situation that killed 10 or 15 people,'' Schlott said. ‘‘It looks very tranquil and everything to begin with but when these storms roll in they're nothing to fool with.''
It could be days before the road to Willow Beach is reopened, Dey said. The St. Thomas Road just north of Overton Beach Marina in Nevada also was washed out Saturday morning. There were no reports of injuries or missing visitors, Dey said.

Garrddogg
10-15-2006, 08:53 AM
I was @ sams in bullhead and drove through some wicked shiat commin back to havi and i had a cal king mattress and a vizio 42" tv in the back of the truck..goin through bullhead there was shit scattered everywhere,power poles blown over.. it looked like some intense stormin went on..

RiverRatMike
10-15-2006, 09:04 AM
yeah I heard about those funnel clouds. I got a tornado weather alert on my weather radio as it was happening.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18730&stc=1
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18731&stc=1