PDA

View Full Version : Rhino vs Arctic Cat Prowler

me4drvr
10-15-2006, 02:56 PM
http://www.arcticcat.com/atv/vehicle.asp?id=800
I know this is a Rhino town, but does anyone have any input about the Prowler?? Any aftermarket stuff? I know my buddys Rhino has a ton of suspension (long travel) done and rides like a dream, but is there anything out yet for the Prowler?? Pros - cons....

riverroyal
10-15-2006, 03:08 PM
I know this is a Rhino town, but does anyone have any input about the Prowler?? Any aftermarket stuff? I know my buddys Rhino has a ton of suspension (long travel) done and rides like a dream, but is there anything out yet for the Prowler?? Pros - cons....
they had head warping issues,they look good,but not as reliable

LuckyStrike
10-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Heads Warping Due to Heat????

Trailer Park Casanova
10-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Most of Artic Cats products are OP's.
That is, made by other people.
Their 400 quad is a Zuki, several other things too.
A little closer searching and ya can probably find out who the parent company is that built it.
Yamaha has lots of contracts with other companies.
Some Mercury four Stroke outboards ar Yami, Some Ford engines are Yami,,,
Not saying this is mind ya, but good chance it is available under a different name, and ya might be able to get more info that way.

Todd969
10-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Talk to BigDoug, he has one and loves it.

RiverRatMike
10-15-2006, 05:06 PM
no one can touch Yamaha reliability!

jimslade
10-15-2006, 05:13 PM
A little closer searching and ya can probably find out who the parent company is that built it.
Not saying this is mind ya, but good chance it is available under a different name, and ya might be able to get more info that way. ALL Arctic cat engines are Suzuki.ONLY. No Fords are Yamaha's. Yamaha's are bullet proof even though I'm a Skidoo fan.

Todd969
10-15-2006, 05:14 PM
ALL Arctic cat engines are Suzuki.ONLY. No Fords are Yamaha's. Yamaha's are bullet proof even though I'm a Skidoo fan.
Wrong, the Taurus SHO was\is a Yamaha motor :)

jscarab
10-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Your right, not much aftermarket yet....I just put 60 miles on my prowler with a buddy yesterday going from Havi to Bill Williams bridge via dirt trails. I have over 200 total miles and love it so far. We went everywhere the rhino went :) And got in a little mud and had a blast... I think the comparisions are pretty equal for the recreational user. Classic ford vs chevy.
Big Doug PM me where you bought your accessories please.........jesse

Trailer Park Casanova
10-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Ford Yamaha V8:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Yamaha_V8_engine

SummitKarl
10-15-2006, 06:56 PM
no one can touch Yamaha reliability!
EXCUSE ME!!!! mister :yuk:
Honda RFVC :D

me4drvr
10-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Who gives a rats ass about a Ford - Yamaha... it's Ford :yuk: j/k
Anyone have pics of their Cat... no one has heard of mods for them yet??
Might just have to roll baller and get a Rhino..

Todd969
10-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Who gives a rats ass about a Ford - Yamaha... it's Ford :yuk: j/k
Anyone have pics of their Cat... no one has heard of mods for them yet??
Might just have to roll baller and get a Rhino..
Seriously PM BigDoug. he has a Prowler and it's looking really good.

Redneck
10-15-2006, 07:28 PM
I havent heard much about the artic kat but we were interested in one until we picked up a dvd from yamaha on their rhino. They of course showed the flaws of the artic cat and I would have to agree with yamaha the rhino is the best one. Stop by a yamaha dealer and get a flyer on the rhino. It has a dvd in the flyer that compares the rhino with all the carts.

cnj
10-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Actually, I believe the Prowlers are ALL Arctic Cat. No Suzi or Kawi motor as in most of their ATVs. The Prowler is powered by the 641cc H1 motor designed and built in house.

jscarab
10-15-2006, 07:42 PM
still stock......

BigDoug
10-15-2006, 09:57 PM
I just sent my pics over to Todd that i took tonight (not the best) however Todd is asleep and will post them up in the morning.
If your a big guy you'll want the AC for the room, the AC is 5-6 inches wider than the rhino and can tow 1500 pounds, i towed my jet boat already to the lake and stopped just fine when needed.
The 06 models had head issues and overheating problems, my 07 runs bitchin and iv'e had 1 month with a little over 500 miles on it, it comes with nice wheels that are 2 inches taller than the rhino and a front tow hitch, under hood storage with built in ice chest and drain, dump bed.
52-53 miles per hour stock and gets 22-25 miles per gallon.
There are many after market parts for this thing and growing everyday with more companys stocking them.
Things iv'e done...
1. Billet steering wheel
2. carbon fiber tape on dash etc.
3. chrome shifter
4. soft top
5. wind shield
6. custom rear seat re-covered (early bronco)
7. 2.5 inch wheel spacers all the way around
8. carpet kit
9. custom pedals i painted
10. custom stereo install from car toys here in Havasu (franky)
11. green l.e.d. light for license plate
12. billet grill im still fabricating
13. custom exhaust (this week)
14. bullet off road lights for front bumper (this week)
15. im still not finished, so stay tuned
I think the rhino is an excellent product but im 6ft. 3in. and 295 pounds (fat) i don't fit in the rhino so my choice had to go with the AC and im glad i did, we go grocery shopping and to wall-mart in the cat, since iv'e pimped mine out the local dealer has sold 4 cause of this and thanks me everytime we go in there, we don't beat up on ours but can get to the river or mountains on back roads and thats why we got it, the rhino will too but i didn't fit (fat)

wildbillg
10-15-2006, 10:09 PM
UMMMMMM
What about a thing called a JEEP WRANGLER??
Wont it do all the things that one of these POPULAR lil things will do?
and there are tons and tons of mods to do, anddd they can go over 50 mph?
Just wondering what is the BIGGGG hype of these things?
Dont get me wrong, they are ok and all but for the money you can buy a Wrangler and do about the same thing.. :confused: :confused: :confused:

BigDoug
10-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Bill stay out of this !!!..........when you become mini budget ballers like us you too can have a little monster on steroids !!! as for now, you can go and buy a jeep and follow us lol. :)

Kilrtoy
10-15-2006, 10:57 PM
UMMMMMM
What about a thing called a JEEP WRANGLER??
Wont it do all the things that one of these POPULAR lil things will do?
and there are tons and tons of mods to do, anddd they can go over 50 mph?
Just wondering what is the BIGGGG hype of these things?
Dont get me wrong, they are ok and all but for the money you can buy a Wrangler and do about the same thing.. :confused: :confused: :confused:
RHINO'S ARE A FAD
THAT IS WHAT IM BUYING, for those exact reasons, and it is made for 4 people
25K for a trick rhino....PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I'll pay 18k and call it a day and drive it around just a little faster, did i say just a little

djunkie
10-15-2006, 11:12 PM
RHINO'S ARE A FAD
THAT IS WHAT IM BUYING, for those exact reasons, and it is made for 4 people
25K for a trick rhino....PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I'll pay 18k and call it a day and drive it around just a little faster, did i say just a little
Can you fit the Jeep in the back of your truck and take it with you in the carpool lane? Different strokes for different folks. Its no a fad. Just a different option for people who don't have room for a sandcar or jeep. Have you ridden in/ driven a Rhino yet? My g/f thought they were the stupidest things in the world till she rode in mine this weekend. I couldn't get her out of it after the first ride.

YeLLowBoaT
10-15-2006, 11:20 PM
maybe she liked the vibrations of that v twin motor... I have heard thats the main reason why chicks get HDs. :)

Kilrtoy
10-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Can you fit the Jeep in the back of your truck and take it with you in the carpool lane? Different strokes for different folks. Its no a fad. Just a different option for people who don't have room for a sandcar or jeep. Have you ridden in/ driven a Rhino yet? My g/f thought they were the stupidest things in the world till she rode in mine this weekend. I couldn't get her out of it after the first ride.
Yes I have several times and so has the wife.
As TODD969 discussed with me after his lenghty study, they can be very dangerous, due to the short wheel base, I really dont think they are designed for 4 people either, just because there is after market product does not make it safe.
Yes they roll easy( but you are doing some trick stuff on the dirt)
and they way I would want a rhino it would cost more than a jeep.
Now if I was in a campground, I could see its use.
But to go out in otherwise a waste of money.
And I did not feel safe in one at all

djunkie
10-15-2006, 11:31 PM
As TODD969 discussed with me after his lenghty study, they can be very dangerous, due to the short wheel base, I really dont think they are designed for 4 people either, just because there is after market product does not make it safe.
Great answer. Now where in there does it explain how the Rhino is a fad? I agree the Rhino can be unsafe. I also agree that it is not designed for 4 people. But my comment for the different strokes for different folks fits right in here. I don't have room for a Jeep. I don't want the extra maintenance/insurance the jeep will require. The rhino is perfect for my g/f and I as some of our friends have them and we plan to take trips with. And keep in mind that a jeep is just as unsafe as the Rhino. Its all about who's operating it and knowing its potential.

Kilrtoy
10-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Great answer. Now where in there does it explain how the Rhino is a fad? I agree the Rhino can be unsafe. I also agree that it is not designed for 4 people. But my comment for the different strokes for different folks fits right in here. I don't have room for a Jeep. I don't want the extra maintenance/insurance the jeep will require. The rhino is perfect for my g/f and I as some of our friends have them and we plan to take trips with. And keep in mind that a jeep is just as unsafe as the Rhino. Its all about who's operating it and knowing its potential.
Ok, Golfcarts were all the rage, as were little 50's, now its rhino's.
and yes D.S.F.D.F. is correct as I stated in the uses and yes jeeps can be just as dangerous, but I would rather roll at 30mph in a jeep than a Rhino, not That I would like to do either.
yes Ins and maintenance is more in a jeep and I do have room in the garage or the side yard.

djunkie
10-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Ok, Golfcarts were all the rage, as were little 50's, now its rhino's.
and yes D.S.F.D.F. is correct as I stated in the uses and yes jeeps can be just as dangerous, but I would rather roll at 30mph in a jeep than a Rhino, not That I would like to do either.
yes Ins and maintenance is more in a jeep and I do have room in the garage or the side yard.
Golf carts are still very popular. I know lots of people who are still building them. Its mostly just us knuckleheads on these forums who are making the change over.

Kilrtoy
10-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Golf carts are still very popular. I know lots of people who are still building them. Its mostly just us knuckleheads on these forums who are making the change over.
Ok in 3 years lets revisit this and the winer gets lunch
Rhino's are a fade

djunkie
10-15-2006, 11:59 PM
Ok in 3 years lets revisit this and the winer gets lunch
Rhino's are a fade
I think they'll last Kilr. I'm sure people thought a Quad was a fad too.

YeLLowBoaT
10-16-2006, 12:01 AM
I bet with in 5 years a tree hugger will get a splinter in thier ass and have the deserts shut down... 2 days later you will be able to buy a rhino for next to nothing. :crossx:

Kilrtoy
10-16-2006, 12:07 AM
I think they'll last Kilr. I'm sure people thought a Quad was a fad too.
No doubt they wil last, But they wont be flyin off the shelves like they are today

Riomouse911
10-16-2006, 01:49 AM
I'm actually buying a rhino because I need to access the lower half of my lot, and a diesel tractor I bought (and subsequently sold) kept getting stuck on my hillside road.. I need sumptin' to haul dirt/bricks up and down the hill (cause I am SICK of hauling it in a wheelbarrow), and the 4x4 will run the hill, and haul 400 lbs +/- so i won't have to. I looked at the Ranger, but it was too wide for my gate, and the the rhino will fit with 2" to spare (stock). On river trips, I'll roll it into the bed of the Ford and still tow the boat out. Ya, it's expensive, but what fun/popular/versatile thing isn't?

Todd969
10-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Yep they can be dangerous! Of course any vehicle can be just as dangerous. Accidents happen and stupidity happens. Ours was bought to use as a trail driver\explorer for 2 people. No jumping,racing, 4 seats etc. Buy a Mule with 4 seats and tolerate the 25/30mph top speed, but go everywhere a rhino can. Jeeps could also roll depending on the driver and conditions. Maintenance and running cost could be more with a jeep,never owned one so I honestly don't know.
This argument could go on forever. The bottom line is " if you can afford it and are happy who the F cares what others think!"

me4drvr
10-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Yep they can be dangerous! Of course any vehicle can be just as dangerous. Accidents happen and stupidity happens. Ours was bought to use as a trail driver\explorer for 2 people. No jumping,racing, 4 seats etc. Buy a Mule with 4 seats and tolerate the 25/30mph top speed, but go everywhere a rhino can. Jeeps could also roll depending on the driver and conditions. Maintenance and running cost could be more with a jeep,never owned one so I honestly don't know.
This argument could go on forever. The bottom line is " if you can afford it and are happy who the F cares what others think!"
10-4!

79Challenger
10-16-2006, 07:58 AM
Anyone seen the four wheel drive dual motor electric cart? It may not be fast, but I bet it will climb every bit as well. and its silent.

OutCole'd
10-16-2006, 08:00 AM
Exactly.....

djunkie
10-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Great post Todd.

me4drvr
10-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Sooo back to the topic... if you were gonna pull the trigger which way would you go?? The AC has 10" travel stock, so I was thinking of a nice set of King shock and spacers then bling out from there... and a rhino aftermarket has I think 12"-14" travel after $6k of suspension...
Squeeky.. :rollside:

djunkie
10-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Sooo back to the topic... if you were gonna pull the trigger which way would you go?? The AC has 10" travel stock, so I was thinking of a nice set of King shock and spacers then bling out from there... and a rhino aftermarket has I think 12"-14" travel after $6k of suspension...
Go ride in both. You will know right away which you like better. Reasons I chose a Rhino- It felt more comfortable when sitting in it than the others. The others felt like I was sitting too upright kinda like a golf cart. The Rhino fits good in the back of my truck. Lots of aftermarket parts and is made by the trusted Yamaha corp.

Todd969
10-16-2006, 11:30 AM
The arctic cat is a nice ride. Doug is sending me some pictures that I will post. It all comes down to what you like and are happy with.

Tunnel Vision
10-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Just to clarifiy things the heads did not warp, but the copper washer under the head nuts failed and was addressed on the 2006 models.

Tunnel Vision
10-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Not saying this is mind ya, but good chance it is available under a different name, and ya might be able to get more info that way.
The Arctic cat 400, the Kawasaki 400 and the Suzuki 400 (Quads)are the exact same machine with the exception of the Arctic Cat plastic which is styled different.
Kawasaki's plastic is a direct replacment for the Suzuki.

Tunnel Vision
10-16-2006, 12:01 PM
ALL Arctic cat engines are Suzuki.ONLY. No Fords are Yamaha's. Yamaha's are bullet proof even though I'm a Skidoo fan.
You are absolutely incorrect, the 650H1 used in the Prowler and the 650 limited is all AC.

Brewzed
10-16-2006, 12:58 PM
"pull the trigger" what a homo!

me4drvr
10-16-2006, 01:01 PM
I know what a pimped Rhino rides like... nice and smooth, I just wanted to know if anyone with AC's have put better shocks and spacers (King, etc.) and then compare the ride. Stock is for Pussies :cry: unless you roll in Rangers with baby seats....
Squeaky out :p
Throw on my spacer fool ...

djunkie
10-16-2006, 01:30 PM
I know what a pimped Rhino rides like... nice and smooth, I just wanted to know if anyone with AC's have put better shocks and spacers (King, etc.) and then compare the ride. Stock is for Pussies :cry: unless you roll in Rangers with baby seats....
Squeaky out :p
Throw on my spacer fool ...
Ya well my stocker kicked a long travel Rhinos ass this weekend. He even told me afterwards that he felt stupid. If a $5k suspension rides the way he does I say F- that. He was getting the shit beat out of him.

me4drvr
10-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Ya well my stocker kicked a long travel Rhinos ass this weekend. He even told me afterwards that he felt stupid. If a $5k suspension rides the way he does I say F- that. He was getting the shit beat out of him.
Must have been a home job... I know the suspension that's on the homo's Rhino a few post's up (Brewzed) rides excellent, but I guess that's what 15k in work gets you... cash money.. that's how I roll :rollside:

Brewzed
10-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Sure ya did

djunkie
10-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Must have been a home job... I know the suspension that's on the homo's Rhino a few post's up (Brewzed) rides excellent, but I guess that's what 15k in work gets you... cash money.. that's how I roll :rollside:
Socal Fab long travel. Walker Evans shocks. Full cage. Alluminum side doors. Fuel cell. It was pretty tricked out. Poor guy couldn't make it up this hill. He tried and tried but just couldn't do it. I did it twice for fun. Also are the long travel Rhino rear ends supoosed to hop like a pogo stick? Seemed like money well wasted. We did get a good laugh out of it. :rollside: :rollside:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18794&stc=1
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18795&stc=1

djunkie
10-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Sure ya did
Actually I did. :cool:

Cole Trickle
10-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Actually I did. :cool:
Please help the guy find the 4x4 button next time you see him.
If he still can't make it up take the keys from him and hand them to his wife!!! :crossx:

76ANTHONY
10-16-2006, 02:56 PM
so does this mean im not cool anymore cause i still own a golfcart :crossx:

djunkie
10-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Please help the guy find the 4x4 button next time you see him.
If he still can't make it up take the keys from him and hand them to his wife!!! :crossx:
It was funny. We first came up the back side of that hill. Stopped at the top to enjoy the view and saw him running around. He then shot straight over and tried to go up it. He came about 20 feet short and stopped. Told me he even had it in 4 wheel drive. So I went down and went up it once and made it. Decided to do it again for good measures. :crossx: :crossx:

djunkie
10-16-2006, 02:57 PM
so does this mean im not cool anymore cause i still own a golfcart :crossx:
Your not cool cause your a homo!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx:

76ANTHONY
10-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Your not cool cause your a homo!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx:
hey fag thats all in your mind, stop trying to get me to convert to djunkieism.... :crossx:

Todd969
10-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Posting for BigDoug
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634PICT0001.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634PICT0002.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634PICT0003.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634PICT0004.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1634PICT0005.JPG

BigDoug
10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks for posting those up for me Todd. :)

RiverRatMike
10-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Socal Fab long travel. Walker Evans shocks. Full cage. Alluminum side doors. Fuel cell. It was pretty tricked out. Poor guy couldn't make it up this hill. He tried and tried but just couldn't do it. I did it twice for fun. Also are the long travel Rhino rear ends supoosed to hop like a pogo stick? Seemed like money well wasted. We did get a good laugh out of it. :rollside: :rollside:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18794&stc=1
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18795&stc=1
Ah very familiar area. Right across the river from Badknocks. Been over on that side a couple of times and love it.

BigDoug
10-17-2006, 10:10 AM
There are alot of aftermarket stuff and growing more everyday for the AC. :)