PDA

View Full Version : Are Katrina victims this dim?

JB in so cal
10-15-2006, 03:42 PM
To prevent explosions, FEMA paints stove knobs red in Katrina victims' trailers
BILOXI, Miss. Trying to prevent deadly explosions, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has sent contractors to over 100-thousand government-issue trailers on the Gulf Coast to paint stove knobs a distinctive red.
FE-MA spokesman Aaron Walker says the change will help trailer residents tell the difference between the knobs that control the igniters and those that operate the burners on propane stoves.
Walker says four gas- or stove-related fires in FE-MA trailers have been reported in Louisiana, including one in April that killed a man in Slidell. He said FE-MA has had no reports of gas or stove fires in Mississippi.

RitcheyRch
10-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Apparently so.

wolfie
10-15-2006, 03:49 PM
That's why they are "victims".

SmokinLowriderSS
10-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Apparently so.
Yes, Apparently so.
Looks like they's cain't reed duh de-structions, so's da man haz ta go "color-code" da nawbs.

wolfie
10-15-2006, 03:53 PM
My brother worked for FEMA for a couple of months and his response would have been HELL YES they're that dim

SHOTKALLIN
10-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Wow.

grads2112
10-15-2006, 04:07 PM
It is the South we're talking about.

RitcheyRch
10-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Actually kind of sad.
Yes, Apparently so.
Looks like they's cain't reed duh de-structions, so's da man haz ta go "color-code" da nawbs.

ROZ
10-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Yes, Apparently so.
Funne.. I thaut it was duhrecshuns :D

olbiezer
10-15-2006, 06:25 PM
It is the South we're talking about.
i am sure everyone in roseville ca has a graduate degree in gas stove lighting........ :) :rollside: its not that its the south.......its that a gov agency has to protect everyone lol........that means the dumb ones and the smart ones........wonder how long these people are going to live for free in those trailers anyway........

JAY4SPEED
10-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Walker says four gas- or stove-related fires in FE-MA trailers have been reported in Louisiana, including one in April that killed a man in Slidell. He said FE-MA has had no reports of gas or stove fires in Mississippi.
The trailers built towards the end of the staging process have some pretty serious fit and finish issues. There have been 2 trailer explosions from the propane gas systems leaking in the FEMA trailers from the manufacturers building the trailers so fast. Including the one in Slidell as stated in the quote above which they attributed to a propane gas leak not operator error. Since the explosions, FEMA maintenance contractors come once a month with a propane detector to check for leaks. A good friend of mine got his trailer at the beginning of last winter, spent one night in it, woke up with a headache and could smell propane. He called the company that had the maintenance contract and 2 days later they showed up with a propane detector and then fixed the gas leak behind his stove (loose fitting). The propane detector that is installed permanently in the trailer to detect propane leaks was not functional, they had to replace it. Now, when they deliver the trailers they have to pressure test the propane systems before they let the occupants in. FEMA put this practice in order after about 100,000 trailers have already been delivered and set up. So they have had to go back and check a lot of trailers including mine. Now I know that a lot of us Southerners "just aint dat smart" but I think I can read directions...LOL.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/jay4speed/1015_215520.jpg
Besides that's like saying that a southerner can't operate a BBQ pit. And God knows that we can cook anything. :p
Jay

JAY4SPEED
10-15-2006, 07:25 PM
wonder how long these people are going to live for free in those trailers anyway........
LoL...."these people" are a part of the HB community too. And, I wouldn't exactly call it free. I'll need my trailer to house my family as long as it takes to settle with homeowners insurance, flood insurance, LRA, SBA, FEMA, to cut through the bureaucratic B.S. and get my life back together. Want to come and help sling sheetrock? :)
Jay

phebus
10-15-2006, 07:27 PM
What qualifications does one need to be a "knob" painter. :rollside:

Her454
10-16-2006, 05:48 AM
LoL...."these people" are a part of the HB community too. And, I wouldn't exactly call it free. I'll need my trailer to house my family as long as it takes to settle with homeowners insurance, flood insurance, LRA, SBA, FEMA, to cut through the bureaucratic B.S. and get my life back together. Want to come and help sling sheetrock? :)
Jay
Jay, although I find some humor in this thread I don't find any in your situation and my heart goes out to all of you that were displaced during Katrina.
Good luck to you and your family, and if I were closer I would be happy to sling sheetrock, or anything else to help out a little.
:)

hoolign
10-16-2006, 06:02 AM
.......wonder how long these people are going to live for free in those trailers anyway........
I imagine until they can get their lives back together and get themselves into a home of their own again! :idea: