PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound legit?

SFV2RVR
10-15-2006, 06:02 PM
OK...here's the deal. Im selling my truck on the internet, and this is an e-mail that I got sent to me in reguards to buying my truck. What do you guys think? It sounds like a scam to me!
Hello,
Thanks for your immediate response. Asking price is okay. Presently I am off the shores of Angola where I work as a Drilling Engineer on the coastal explorations with Exxon Mobil Oilfields. So I will need to ask a colleague from my home town in Texas to send you a Cashier's Check. Please send me your address, full name and telephone number so that I can instruct my colleague to send you the Check. Since that is the only means of payment I can offer now due to my present location. Do not bother about the shipping to Angola I have a shipping agent who will come over to the USA to ship some of my items from my home in Texas so he would also come over to your house for pick up of the truck. Please reply ASAP.
Regards,
Jim
P.S: Please send some pictures

YeLLowBoaT
10-15-2006, 06:08 PM
its a scam... if you really want to mess with the guy... tell him you work for exxon mobil... ask him whats his location and employee numbers so you can have it taken out of his check...

soupersonic
Sounds like a new twist on an old scam. :)

deltaAce
Those are the most hokie of scams ever. Iv'e seen several variations of
that stupid stuff. I sent a reply to one before pretending to sound interested,
but they never replied back. See if you can scam them back, or delete it.

Phat Daddy
10-15-2006, 06:11 PM
OK...here's the deal. Im selling my truck on the internet, and this is an e-mail that I got sent to me in reguards to buying my truck. What do you guys think? It sounds like a scam to me!
Hello,
Thanks for your immediate response. Asking price is okay. Presently I am off the shores of Angola where I work as a Drilling Engineer on the coastal explorations with Exxon Mobil Oilfields. So I will need to ask a colleague from my home town in Texas to send you a Cashier's Check. Please send me your address, full name and telephone number so that I can instruct my colleague to send you the Check. Since that is the only means of payment I can offer now due to my present location. Do not bother about the shipping to Angola I have a shipping agent who will come over to the USA to ship some of my items from my home in Texas so he would also come over to your house for pick up of the truck. Please reply ASAP.
Regards,
Jim
Anything with the words offshore or cashiers check is a scam. They all say about the same thing. This looks like they tried to change it up a bit by using a home base of Texas. Nothing like cold hard cash nowadays. :)

Hardly Satisfied
10-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Hello,
Regards,
Jim
get cash only then give him the title, cashiers take a day or 2 to clear

SFV2RVR
10-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I thought it sounded a little shady!

RitcheyRch
10-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Darn scammers.

FLOJO
10-15-2006, 06:52 PM
was that through the recyler? i ve got one of those responses for some rims i was selling, i wanted 400.00 for them the person said that he would send me 800.00 and that would cover shipping, my time and if i could send him back what ever was left back to him in a check. ya right

ULTRA26 # 1
10-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Hello,
Regards,
Jim
It's a scam. My Son received similar emails when he was selling his car.
John M

SFV2RVR
10-15-2006, 07:39 PM
was that through the recyler? i ve got one of those responses for some rims i was selling, i wanted 400.00 for them the person said that he would send me 800.00 and that would cover shipping, my time and if i could send him back what ever was left back to him in a check. ya right
No. It was an ad on mautofied.com

KreatinKaos
10-15-2006, 07:50 PM
I just sold a car on craigslist ... I had four to five scam attempts a day for the duration of my ad :220v: :crossx:

SHOTKALLIN
10-15-2006, 10:38 PM
they are all nigerians too

upsman105
10-15-2006, 10:46 PM
The people that tried that one on me were from Canada. I made them keep calling me over and over again, I kept changing things tell them I was going to do what they said, then told them I had the cash waiting for them. I called the police and the FBI nobody would do anything, so I messed with them as much as I could, only thing I could do is keep their phone bills high.

boatsnblondes
10-16-2006, 12:23 AM
The hell with your truck..I'll send you a cahiers check for your boat.... :rollside:

SFV2RVR
10-16-2006, 04:18 AM
The hell with your truck..I'll send you a cahiers check for your boat.... :rollside:
HaHa :)

jbone
10-16-2006, 04:24 AM
The people that tried that one on me were from Canada. I made them keep calling me over and over again, I kept changing things tell them I was going to do what they said, then told them I had the cash waiting for them. I called the police and the FBI nobody would do anything, so I messed with them as much as I could, only thing I could do is keep their phone bills high.
I did the same thing. It actually got kinda funny because I kept telling them things had happened to the car, like minor accident stuff. They still seamed interested. They actually started getting a little aggressive with trying to close the deal and send a check. I kept refusing to give my home address though. Eventually I had to tell them I sold it to get them off my back. It was still fun though.
J

SmokinLowriderSS
10-16-2006, 04:43 AM
its a scam... if you really want to mess with the guy... tell him you work for exxon mobil... ask him whats his location and employee numbers so you can have it taken out of his check...
Yes, it's a scam, I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!
Here's the main scam clues:
Asking price is okay.
Not even offering to haggle a bit.
Presently I am off the shores of Angola where I work as a Drilling Engineer on the coastal explorations with Exxon Mobil Oilfields.
Remote overseas location.
So I will need to ask a colleague from my home town in Texas to send you a Cashier's Check.
Hundreds of forged cashiers check scamms running everywhere.
Please send me your address, full name and telephone number so that I can instruct my colleague to send you the Check.
3rd party sends you a check.....not the buyer of course.......
Do not bother about the shipping to Angola I have a shipping agent who will come over to the USA to ship some of my items from my home in Texas so he would also come over to your house for pick up of the truck.
Soooo convenient, and someone WILL pick the truck up, will probobly hand carry you the cashier's check too, and want to pick the truck up that very day.
Please reply ASAP.
jump before checking the pool depth, quick now, JUMP!
If you want to screw with them farther, accept the deal, have them send you the check, have your bank clear the check before you release the truck. This may take 5 to 8 days. If they are legit, they know this and would understand and accept. If not, they will press you to move fast due to their "limited time" available.
I have $1 that says the cashiers check you get turns out to be a forgery. If you deposit it, no harm as long as you don't try to spend it. Then, the regulatory agencies can chase it as well to try to stop some of this forgery/fraud. Yes, sometimes they do.
There are actually folks on the internet who spend time beating the nigerian scammers at their own game, just to screw with them. They aren't all in Nigeria, just most of them it seems.
Here's just a few of the "scambaiters"......... God bless these folks. :)
http://www.419eater.com/
http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/
http://www.scamorama.com/
http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/