PDA

View Full Version : Best Hand Held GPS?

Trailer Park Casanova
10-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Sons birthday is Friday and I'd like to get him a new GPS for Glamis, and crossing the channel.
Pocket/backpackable/handheld is what we'd like.
The Garmin camo was the BFD for a spell, is it still?
Any recomendations?
Any price range is fine, where the best deal on the best unit?
Thanks for your help.

Todd969
10-15-2006, 07:36 PM
I just got the Garmin E-trex Legend CX and have found it to be a pretty awsome toy. It mounts on the rhino dash and has more features than I could ever need. It was under $300.00. Do some research and find what works for your purpose.

cnj
10-15-2006, 07:53 PM
I just got the Garmin E-trex Legend CX and have found it to be a pretty awsome toy. It mounts on the rhino dash and has more features than I could ever need. It was under $300.00. Do some research and find what works for your purpose.
Do you hav pics of your mount? I would like to put my ETREX in the Rhino as well.

GUGS102
10-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Sons birthday is Friday and I'd like to get him a new GPS for Glamis, and crossing the channel.
Pocket/backpackable/handheld is what we'd like.
The Garmin camo was the BFD for a spell, is it still?
Any recomendations?
Any price range is fine, where the best deal on the best unit?
Thanks for your help.
I have the garmin 60C. Color readout, batteries last quite a while, has computer interface etc. I got it from someone here on the boards that has a store in Il??? Can't remember.
Also got the handlebar mount for the bike, pretty slick.
Good Luck!

beaverretriever
10-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Garmin E-trex here as well. The only thing I have ever used it for is MPH. I really couldnt tell you if anything else about it is any good...LOL :)

DMOORE
10-15-2006, 09:45 PM
I just purchased the Lowrance ,Finder H2O, from West Marine. It has a color screen with chart plotter. Up-gradeable chip with world wide charting and it is waterproof to 10ft. It is one of the best handhelds I've seen so far. Color screen is fantastic, and when upgraded, has unbelievable detail for North America. Can do searches for Hospitals ,fuel stations ect. Best part is it is only $ 300. I looked at a bunch before buying, it's worth a look.
Darrell.

Tom Brown
10-15-2006, 09:53 PM
I bought a game boy deluxe. Color model. Garage sale... $30.
I couldn't be happier with it. :cool:

Trailer Park Casanova
10-16-2006, 04:00 AM
I bought a game boy deluxe. Color model. Garage sale... $30.
I couldn't be happier with it. :cool:
We have a junk drawer full of them.
PSP is Da kine now.
-----------
Anyone have the RINO GPS?

sorry dog
10-16-2006, 06:56 AM
I tried both Etrex and took them back because of crappy reception. A good tree cover might block'em out.
I got a Magellan instead and the reception is much better (picks up in a plane), but it is a larger more bulky unit. They've since made'em a little smaller but still kinda bulky.
BTW - Brown, your a nerd.

Jbb
10-16-2006, 06:59 AM
I tried both Etrex and took them back because of crappy reception. A good tree cover might block'em out.
I got a Magellan instead and the reception is much better (picks up in a plane), but it is a larger more bulky unit. They've since made'em a little smaller but still kinda bulky.
BTW - Brown, your a nerd.
Your sister uses the term...."larger,more bulky unit"...oftentimes..when she speaks of me....... :p
Sup cuz ...Killin season is upon us!

Chipster27
10-16-2006, 08:19 AM
I started with the etrex, it was a great little unit, but too small to use on the bike, plus I had trouble using the little thumb numb/curser. The 60cs has a larger display and the pad you use to move the curser is easier to manuver. I think the 60CS is also a little more durable.
There is a new 60CSx that allows you to use a SD memory card to load more maps..my experience it that you can never have too much memory!
I might be selling my 60CS to buy a 60CSx, let me know if you're interested. PM me.

sorry dog
10-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Your sister uses the term...."larger,more bulky unit"...oftentimes..when she speaks of me....... :p
Sup cuz ...Killin season is upon us!
I heard her say that...and something about a backwards scoop...is that your new hairstyle?
I think I'm going to hire Brown to do my killin for me this year.
BTW- Magellan meridians take SD cards. 64meg card gives mine about 100mi sq map for land. Don't have the sea maps so don't know about those.