PDA

View Full Version : Looking for top notch machine shop in AZ!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-16-2006, 08:12 AM
I am getting ready to build a high compression 540 and want to know who is top notch out here. I have dealt with alot of them and it seems like everyone doesnt really care anymore.I dont want games or B.S!! I am ready to spend some coin but want the best. I have heard that Larry Peto in tucson is good but need more feedback about him. Anyone have any ideas??????? Paying extra$$$ doenst bother me one bit. I want it done right the first time and I want someone that can stand behind the work. They will be dealing with all BRAND NEW parts even the block. Any info please let me know....thx 396

boater72
10-16-2006, 08:50 AM
You will not go wrong with Larry Peto !

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-16-2006, 09:01 AM
You will not go wrong with Larry Peto !
Thats what I have heard. I have also seen his work at the track but want to be sure.
I want someone with a rep like DNE,tom papp or dougans with out the drive to another state. Tucson is only an hour away so that wouldnt be bad. I have heard that there is a guy in tucson named eddies. any info on him??

lilrick
10-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Motor Magic (760) 665 -5036

seanv
10-16-2006, 09:34 AM
larry peto by far. 3 of my friends i boat with have his motors and NONE have engine issues. i've got blowers and parts off of him and will have him freshen my engines when it's time. my.02

Sleek-Jet
10-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Peto... just make absolutely sure you talk to him personally...
You might PM Art (GoFast)... he's got someone that does all his block machining, and we all know how anal he is about stuff getting done right... :D
Eddie does outstanding work as well. I don't have a card on me right now, but if you PM Azmandella, he's got the info.

prosthogod
10-16-2006, 09:51 AM
I had Larry build my 548 EFI motor, and shortly after that two of my friends had him build their motors. Nothing but good thingd to say about him. Tell him kevin the dentist sent you.

AzMandella
10-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Thats what I have heard. I have also seen his work at the track but want to be sure.
I want someone with a rep like DNE,tom papp or dougans with out the drive to another state. Tucson is only an hour away so that wouldnt be bad. I have heard that there is a guy in tucson named eddies. any info on him??
Hey Mike.Larry's is a good choice for machining.But like Sleek said make sure you talk to Larry himself.Eddie's is who built my engine,and boat as a matter of fact, but he does not have his own machine shop.Here's Eddies #520-400-1423. He can tell you who he uses for machine work.Eddie is one of the best in Tucson.

Chicken Ship
10-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Call Jim At Lewis Performance 928-680-5974. Lake Havasu City. You will not be disappointed.

squirt'nmyload
10-16-2006, 12:40 PM
I want it done right the first time and I want someone that can stand behind the work.
call timm.....@ tuf-enuf in avondale. he does everything in house 623.877.8553

Some Kind Of Monster
10-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Good luck man. What happened with the shop you were using? Everywhere I go, they goof up the work so all i can tell you is where NOT to go, but I think you already know :220v:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Good luck man. What happened with the shop you were using? Everywhere I go, they goof up the work so all i can tell you is where NOT to go, but I think you already know :220v:
They screwed up jonathans motor!! The pin came out of the piston :220v:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Peto... just make absolutely sure you talk to him personally...
Then they are cut from the list. I want to be able to trust everone in the shop,not just a particular guy. If his crew is shotty then I cant trust him. Besides, I might be a low dollar guy and get one of the screw ups working on my mill....:rolleyes:

Sleek-Jet
10-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Then they are cut from the list. I want to be able to trust everone in the shop,not just a particular guy. If his crew is shotty then I cant trust him. Besides, I might be a low dollar guy and get one of the screw ups working on my mill....:rolleyes:
No no no... don't take my post as a bash toward Peto, it's not... just make sure you talk to him so that everyone is on the same page... it's his shop. And the guy's got decades of experiance, he might have some suggestions on how to go about things... He's there all the time... I still will take my engines there to get machined.

AZKC
10-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Larry does most all of the machine work. He's crew is mostly support staff. Parts people, tear down people, assembley people, gophers and such. He's done work for me for over 20 years.
There is a guy at Desert Cylinder Head in PHX (George) He does great work also and boy does he stand behind his work. He came to Tucson and swapped some heads of a buddies strip car that were having problems, No Charge :)

Sleek-Jet
10-16-2006, 04:48 PM
He's done work for me for over 20 years.
And that's alot of work... :D

Classic Daycruiser
10-16-2006, 04:57 PM
I had some Block work done at the machine shop next to "Lopers" near 7th street and indian school. Guy named Eric helped me spec out a complete engine. I had no problems with the block work (4 years ago).
The machine shop is no longer there, but maybe someone knows where Eric went.

Cole Sanger
10-16-2006, 05:22 PM
They did all of the machine work on my 468. No problems. They are in Glendale. Ask for Mike 602-938-7316.

Boa1277
10-16-2006, 05:41 PM
First of all drive down to Tucson and check out Larrys shop I guarantee you you will be impressed, watch him work and check out how clean the shop is. He will come out and meet you and he is usually wearing a apron. The guy is a genius when it comes to machining, he can build incredible motors, I have a 460 he built for me and the thing is top notch, I have never ever had a problem. He machined a new shaft for my Drake jet drive for me and after 2 other people screwed it up and it would only last about 2yrs I have had the one Larry did for me for about 8yrs and it is still perfect. I am telling you you cant go wrong with Peto. The only problem is it will take a while, last time I talked to him about building me a 383 there was a 6wk wait just to get him to start it. Good Luck.

AZKC
10-16-2006, 06:00 PM
And that's alot of work... :D
Hey that hurt a little, Focker :yuk: :) :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
10-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Hey that hurt a little, Focker :yuk: :) :crossx:
I helped fock one up... remember... :idea:
Besides, it's better than Jordy saying it first. :D

DAVEY B
10-16-2006, 06:34 PM
I have used Larry for years. He did all the machine work on my super stock engines for 8 years, he built me a blown 540 in my vector and he did the 572 quad whipple motor in my 28 daytona. I have never had any problem with any of the peolpe in his shop and he just finished a LS2 for me.
Give him a call and tell him what you are looking for and he will give you a quote. 520-623-5373 :) :)

Craig
10-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Larry's done 2 motors for me and I'll probably take my current one back for a freshen up in 07 :D You won't be sorry!

AZKC
10-16-2006, 08:19 PM
I helped fock one up... remember... :idea:
10 minutes that was a record :) :rollside: Better than paddling though :crossx:

Jordy
10-16-2006, 08:20 PM
It's just too easy of a target though. :D :D :D

dicudmore
10-16-2006, 08:25 PM
only ever heard good about Larry Peto...
PREDATOR 'nuff said :D