PDA

View Full Version : Buggy and Pre-Runner opinion?

2Driver
10-16-2006, 02:26 PM
For those who know buggies and pre-runners I'd be interested in your thoughts on this value. I'll be tooling in the desert 95% time and dunes once a year maybe. Owned a lot of jeeps, Land Cruisers and an H1, but not a buggy so I need some help here.
2005 CHENOWTH Genesis, Chenowth Genesis, 5-Seat Pre-Runner, A-Arms front and rear, chromoly frame, 20 inches of travel, Bilstein bypasses on all 4 corners, Kartek microstub 930 race CV joints and race axles, power steering w/ Howe rack, Mendeola 4-speed trans, Fat Type-4 2825cc motor, dual carbs, dry sump, Fluidyne oil cooler, custom aluminum fuel tank under rear seat, Heim race shifter, all stainless brake lines, turning brake, parking brake, full body w/ windshield, roof rack w/ spare, 4 Hella HID lights, Centerlines w/ beadlocks, Beard seats, Carbon Fiber gauges, Garman color GPS, $55K
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/334786155976_1.jpg

bohica
10-16-2006, 02:40 PM
55K for a VW powered car? Way way over priced imho. You could by this LS1 Predator for less.
Predator (http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=85991&st=0)

Sportin' Wood
10-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Good chassis, Lots of deals out there right now, I'd look for an LS1.

2Driver
10-16-2006, 03:26 PM
55K for a VW powered car? Way way over priced imho. You could by this LS1 Predator for less.
THanks...
My understanding is that the Fat type 4 isn't an inexpensive engine either and for running and tooling in the open desert it may not have the over heat issues? My gut was telling me it might be high, just hard to find comps

bkplesh
10-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Predator (http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=85991&st=0)
way to high, more like 32k to 35k maybe.Sorry, Go to GlamisDunes.com,look that the buggys there.

bkplesh
10-16-2006, 03:40 PM
124” wheelbase chromoly chassis with windshield and B pillar bracing
Tig welded chromed front A-arms, chromed tie rods
Boxed 2” hollow spindles
King 2.5 billet piggy back front shocks
King 2.0 reservoir and 2.5 triple bypass rear shocks
Wilwood 4-piston f&r disc brakes
Howe 2.5 power steering with Howe reservoir/filter
Quick disconnect steering
Mastercraft Pro seats with lumbar and pockets and custom headrests
Mastercraft 3x3 seat belts with pads
Autometer gauges
Sealed switches
Billet front flood lights
3 Hella HIDs in chrome light rack (2 pencil, 1 euro)
Full-length center console/tunnel
LED lights in roof mount wing (tail lights, brake lights, center mount amber dust light)
DRIVETRAIN:
SUBARU 2.5 DOHC dyno tuned by OUTBACK (200rwhp @ 6lbs boost)
T3 turbo running ~9 lbs boost
Aluminum radiator with 14” Spal fan
OUTBACK: EMS Stinger computer, 550cc injectors, fuel rails, fuel pump and filters, exhaust, Tial wastegate, oil pan, billet dipstick and oil fill cap, K&N filter and Outerwears cover.
Mendeola MD4S-2D transaxle
930 CVs with race cages and Gear One 300m axles
35” Xtreme Eliminator on 15x12 Douglas beadlocks
8.80 Apex on 15x5.5 Douglas beadlocks
35x15 ProComp M/T on BTR beadlocks (NEVER RUN, only on car for SSSS 2005!)
ASKING $47K OBO
COME AND GET ME FOR $42,500
This is one of my buddy's cars(jp cars)

Boa1277
10-16-2006, 05:53 PM
I will tell you this the Chenowth is a much nicer frame than the Predator. They have years and years of experience in short course and desert racing and they make a nice frame. The Fat motor is a expensive motor it is also light you should try and drive it, I bet you it is really nice. It is easy to talk about something they have never driven or seen in action, right now the flavor of the week is LS1 which is a nice motor but alot I mean alot of companies are building these back yard projects and putting LS1s in them and selling them for 50gs, find out what kind of tubing the Predator has find out how balanced the car is by driving it then make a decision. Good Luck, I am not trying to put down the Predator if it handles as well as the Chenowth it is probably a better buy, but the question is how proven is it, Chenowth has proven itself where it counts on the track.

W.O.T
10-16-2006, 06:35 PM
like everyone else my first thought was to stay away from the type 4 motor. they are expensive and there are better options available these days. i think you would be much happier with the LS1. cool car though. i would shop around first. seems like there are a lot of new long travel builders out there today. shop wisely

Ivan Dan
10-16-2006, 10:21 PM
I will tell you this the Chenowth is a much nicer frame than the Predator. They have years and years of experience in short course and desert racing and they make a nice frame. The Fat motor is a expensive motor it is also light you should try and drive it, I bet you it is really nice. It is easy to talk about something they have never driven or seen in action, right now the flavor of the week is LS1 which is a nice motor but alot I mean alot of companies are building these back yard projects and putting LS1s in them and selling them for 50gs, find out what kind of tubing the Predator has find out how balanced the car is by driving it then make a decision. Good Luck, I am not trying to put down the Predator if it handles as well as the Chenowth it is probably a better buy, but the question is how proven is it, Chenowth has proven itself where it counts on the track.
This is some good info! Most of the cars built nowadays that are in this price range are "Sandcars" not capable of living through the abuse of the desert. Most of the sandcars nowadays wouldn't go 30 miles pre-running the off-road courses. I would stick with Penhall, Kreger, Chenowth, Dunebuggy.com, Alumicraft, and some of the other well know pre-runner/dual sport cars if you want the thing to live in the desert.

Enen
10-16-2006, 10:33 PM
I can tell you first hand that the Preadator is an amazing chassis. It is built by Revenge Racing. www.revenge-racing.com They have a chassis called the Avenger that is their dual sport model. I know several of the race teams are using these cars for their pre-runners. Call Justin, he will take care of you. Good luck in your search.

victorfb
10-16-2006, 10:50 PM
you cant go wrong with the Chenowth framed car and the type4 has an amazing power to wieght ratio. i for one still use a type1 vw (2275) in my sand car and dont plan to build anything more. though it is a two seater. i am old school and still have a great admiration for the air cooled stuff, but trends are trends and you have to consider aftermarket supply. the 55k price is a tad high in my opinion but then again i havnt seen or drivin that car. drive it before you buy and ask yourself if your having fun, and if you think this car is for you.

Boa1277
10-17-2006, 05:35 PM
I can tell you first hand that the Preadator is an amazing chassis. It is built by Revenge Racing. www.revenge-racing.com They have a chassis called the Avenger that is their dual sport model. I know several of the race teams are using these cars for their pre-runners. Call Justin, he will take care of you. Good luck in your search.
Ok I checked out the web site and I can tell you right now the Predator isnt near the car as the Chenowth, you are talking about 2 different animals, the Predator is built for the the sand and would not hold up really romping on it in the desert. The guy was asking what we thought about the Chenowth at the top of the page and did we think it was worth it. Someone chimed in with check out the Predator it is a way better deal, and if you do not know shit about offroad it would be, but to anyone who has logged a mile in Baja will call your bluff. Now the Avenger is more comparable to the Chenowth but I will bet you big bucks you couldnt purchase it for less than 60 grand with a Fat or LS1 motor. That is what you are comparing apples to apples. Again Good Luck. I would really look at and drive the Chenowth.

2Driver
10-17-2006, 05:47 PM
I know that car. You will not find a more anal person in the entire world to build a car (or boat or bike or house.or run a business etc..etc etc..for that matter)then Rich. Everything he does is first class A+++. As for the motor package it wouldn't be my first choice but it wouldn't be my last choice either. I think it's worth the money..
Thanks all, Yes he seems like a great guy and even claimed to be very particular about his stuff. Just hard finding comps and it seems high. I think for running the desert and tooling around the engine fits over trying to cool an LS1 at low speeds in 90 degreee heat.
Thanks for the repsonses. GEE just think, if I titled the thread "what shade of orange should I paint my Rhino" this thread would have run out to 10 pages :rollside: :) :rollside: Still may do a Rhino at this point. I'm scitz

riverroyal
10-17-2006, 05:53 PM
thats my opinion :rollside:

2Driver
10-17-2006, 06:16 PM
thats my opinion :rollside:
Just having trouble with my manhood with a Rhino over a buggy :D

CornWater
10-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Dunebuggy.com......
i.e. Predator......