PDA

View Full Version : Pharmaceutical Sales

Hallett19
10-17-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm desperately looking for a pharmaceutical sales rep job for someone and I need an in !!! If somebody knows anyone, even if its a friend of a friend I need somewhere to start. Any company really, Pfizer, Eli Lilly, GSK, etc. Its harder to get into this than it is getting into the movie biz!! Thanks !!
-Aaron

squirt'nmyload
10-17-2006, 05:05 PM
pm sent

wsuwrhr
10-17-2006, 05:07 PM
MY wife is a Certifed Phamarcy Technician.
I have been trying to get her to do something else for better pay.
Brian

beaverretriever
10-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Why? Its a crappy job. I sold Pharm for a month. Hated it so bad I then moved to medical device. Med device is much more money and you dont deal directly with doctors.
The problem with pharm sales is you cap out. Very few make it to management. You dont see too many sales reps in the pharm world over 28 yrs old. There is a reason for it, they dont last.
Any rep that tells you they are making over a 100k is full of shit. Most make around 60-85 depending the drug they are hocking.
If you are going to do somthing along those lines, look into med device.
Good luck.
Oh, there is a good side; you get a new Taurus every 2-3 yrs...LOL :rollside:
Edit... Dont get me wrong, there is a handfull that may make 100k, but I sure didnt know any.

Thorsinc
10-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Sent you a pm

3 daytona`s
10-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Why? Its a crappy job. I sold Pharm for a month. Hated it so bad I then moved to medical device. Med device is much more money and you dont deal directly with doctors.
The problem with pharm sales is you cap out. Very few make it to management. You dont see too many sales reps in the pharm world over 28 yrs old. There is a reason for it, they dont last.
Any rep that tells you they are making over a 100k is full of shit. Most make around 60-85 depending the drug they are hocking.
If you are going to do somthing along those lines, look into med device.
Good luck.
Edit... Dont get me wrong, there is a handfull that may make 100k, but I sure didnt know any.
I don`t recall him asking you your or anyone else`s advise.He was requesting job openings. :crossx:

squirt'nmyload
10-17-2006, 05:20 PM
lmao.....my friend got a mercury mariner

beaverretriever
10-17-2006, 05:22 PM
I don`t recall him asking you your or anyone else`s advise.He was requesting job openings. :crossx:
He wasnt asking but I was offering. If he can maybe get into somthing better, why not? Are you a pharm rep? Is that why your upset? Sorry if you took the wrong career path.
If he/she has a degree that will get them into the pharm world, why not sell med device. The knowledge needed is usually more but the payoff is better down the road. Med device is not as cutthroat as the pharm world. Im just trying to help out.
What are all the pharm companies going to do when Wal-mart starts selling every drug out there for 5 bucks a prescription? Pharm reps are not going to make squat.
It will be some time before Wal-mart starts making Mercury Curing systems or blood filtration units. LOL....

AZKC
10-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Pharmaceutical Sales :idea:
Let me talk to Carlito, I think Chappo got shot or something. He may need some help :cool:

stvneil
10-17-2006, 05:53 PM
every sales rep i ever saw qualified as a 9-10. i think looks sell the product, you better not get old. :cry:

beaverretriever
10-17-2006, 06:09 PM
every sales rep i ever saw qualified as a 9-10. i think looks sell the product, you better not get old. :cry:
Exactly. Many pharm companies are recruiting college cheer leaders...NO JOKE.

New Mexico
10-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Interesting responses! Devices has its own set of issues. Done both. PM me if you are still interested in a contact in the industry.
I had a grand prix!

Devil's Advocate
10-17-2006, 06:15 PM
I looked into it. I even bought the book (almost $200! :220v: ) to take the damn test. Never went any farther then because it was just way too sales than what I wanted. I'm in the medical field and always took an interest in medications and pharmacy, just don't want to be a pushy salesperson. :yuk:
I did have one connection and Hallet if I can find the name/# of the person I spoke with (I think she was with Pfizer) I'll pass it along to you. :)

Hallett19
10-17-2006, 06:20 PM
All help is appreciated, happy woman=happy man...job seeking frustrated woman=unhappy man, catch my drift :cry:

wsuwrhr
10-17-2006, 06:30 PM
All help is appreciated, happy woman=happy man...job seeking frustrated woman=unhappy man, catch my drift :cry:
Crystal clear my friend.

beaverretriever
10-17-2006, 06:52 PM
I would recommend going to a recruiter. I believe Culver Personel places pharm reps. It does not cost you a penny and I hate to say it, they are pretty good. Im sure there are others out there but that would be a good step for you to take. Recruiters are very, very hungery and they will get you in to the industry.
Im just trying to give some good advice. I have been there and done that, and its tough. Like I said, the average life span of a pharm rep is about 2 yrs, if that.
I have to admit, if I didnt get a pharm job I would have never got in to the med device industry. I sold med device for about 3 and a half yrs. It was a good career, just not for me. I love sales, I just love somthing a little more exciting.

JMC
10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
I agree Pharma. sales is tough. Your subject to the success of the drug your offering and that bounces from company to company year to year. The pipeline of newer drugs in development is a roll of the dice and which one will be sold to your company or even approved is a bigger if. Some of the companies are starting to offer a new car each year for their reps and I know one company in paticular that offers a M3 or Cayenne to the two top reps. I didnt mention the 4-5 hour work days or the free dinners for you and your friends which are posing as doctors. Not all companies can expense dinners though. Managed care is a huge obstacle...it can make or break you whether or not you are on formulary. As far a payout goes most reps making over 100k have been with a company at least 5 years and have a base very close to 80 but these are the guys at the top of sales. The hardest problems getting into Pharma sales is being qualified....its all about sales and experience.......good looks help too! I know its nor fair, but true in this world. Pharma companies love to hire ladies that have a good outside sales background. Any insurance background is a major plus.

beaverretriever
10-17-2006, 08:15 PM
I agree Pharma. sales is tough. Your subject to the success of the drug your offering and that bounces from company to company year to year. The pipeline of newer drugs in development is a roll of the dice and which one will be sold to your company or even approved is a bigger if. Some of the companies are starting to offer a new car each year for their reps and I know one company in paticular that offers a M3 or Cayenne to the two top reps. I didnt mention the 4-5 hour work days or the free dinners for you and your friends which are posing as doctors. Not all companies can expense dinners though. Managed care is a huge obstacle...it can make or break you whether or not you are on formulary. As far a payout goes most reps making over 100k have been with a company at least 5 years and have a base very close to 80 but these are the guys at the top of sales. The hardest problems getting into Pharma sales is being qualified....its all about sales and experience.......good looks help too! I know its nor fair, but true in this world. Pharma companies love to hire ladies that have a good outside sales background. Any insurance background is a major plus.
Great post, and to the tee. :)
BTW, I had a Volvo then a BMW X5 when I worked for the med device company. I had a Taurus when I worked for the Pharm company. I dont even think they make that POS any longer.

THOR
10-17-2006, 08:17 PM
I would recommend going to a recruiter. I believe Culver Personel places pharm reps. It does not cost you a penny and I hate to say it, they are pretty good. Im sure there are others out there but that would be a good step for you to take. Recruiters are very, very hungery and they will get you in to the industry.
Im just trying to give some good advice. I have been there and done that, and its tough. Like I said, the average life span of a pharm rep is about 2 yrs, if that.
I have to admit, if I didnt get a pharm job I would have never got in to the med device industry. I sold med device for about 3 and a half yrs. It was a good career, just not for me. I love sales, I just love somthing a little more exciting.
What do you do now?

THOR
10-17-2006, 08:18 PM
I tried for years to get into pharm sales and now the industry sucks and I am glad I didnt.
What kind of device jobs are out there? I would entertain the idea of getting into that, or capital equip sales. Anyone have connections for that here? I have a few graduate degrees and plenty of sales experience.

beaverretriever
10-17-2006, 08:23 PM
What do you do now?
LOL, I sell Harley Davidsons...
I worked a few (right out of college) jobs. I worked for Enterprise Rent-a-Car for about 3-4 yrs. Hard to believe but they are one of the largest college recruiters in the US. I was an fleet manager for them when I got hooked up in the med industry.
I eventually got sick of such corporate style jobs. I left Cali and moved to Vegas. I ended up getting a job for HD and have been here ever since (4 yrs) its an awesome company. It is cool to do somthing you really love. I dig talking about bikes every day.

THOR
10-17-2006, 08:25 PM
LOL, I sell Harley Davidsons...
I worked a few (right out of college) jobs. I worked for Enterprise Rent-a-Car for about 3-4 yrs. Hard to believe but they are one of the largest college recruiters in the US. I was an fleet manager for them when I got hooked up in the med industry.
I eventually got sick of such corporate style jobs. I left Cali and moved to Vegas. I ended up getting a job for HD and have been here ever since (4 yrs) its an awesome company. It is cool to do somthing you really love. I dig talking about bikes every day.
Congrats to you. Not many folks actually love what they do. I do for the most part. I sell heavy equipment and the normal job stuff is fine. Dealing some of the idiots in my own company makes me look elsewhere sometimes. I cant beat the flexibility though. :cool:

beaverretriever
10-17-2006, 08:26 PM
I tried for years to get into pharm sales and now the industry sucks and I am glad I didnt.
What kind of device jobs are out there? I would entertain the idea of getting into that, or capital equip sales. Anyone have connections for that here? I have a few graduate degrees and plenty of sales experience.
This was a BIG client of mine... They would be a good solid company to work for. I think they are still in Northridge. It has been some time since I talked to anyone there, so I cant say I have any connections.
http://www.minimed.com/
To actually narrow it down. I sold equipment that helped make medical device. Same sort of industry.

voodoomedman
10-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Kinda funny but it seems that these things suck because it's Southern California. My wifes friend is a pharm rep and did it here in SoCal and liked the pay but it was a little tiring working with rude people all day and no one has time for you. She got married and moved to South Carolina and the job is completely different there. Everybody has time for you and no one is rude. Just an observation though. I don't know anything else about the industry. Her company lets her pick a new Dodge every 2 years I think. I wouldn't work for a company unless they gave me Chevy's. :D

Hallett19
10-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Her sis works for Eli Lilly in Kansas City and some of the top sales reps get Dodges of their choice, one just got a Magnum, her sis has an Impalla. Thanks for all of the input guys, I need to get this girl a job though !! :cool:

Trailer Park Casanova
10-17-2006, 10:51 PM
AMGEN hires mostly through recruiters,, and I S#it you not, even more thru temp agencies.
They like the temp agency angle to see what you're made of before putting you on the generous benefits plans.

fatboy95
10-18-2006, 07:57 AM
I'm desperately looking for a pharmaceutical sales rep job for someone and I need an in !!! If somebody knows anyone, even if its a friend of a friend I need somewhere to start. Any company really, Pfizer, Eli Lilly, GSK, etc. Its harder to get into this than it is getting into the movie biz!! Thanks !!
-Aaron
I sold pharmaceuticals for 16 years. Stay away from Pfizer, most of their DM's are A--holes. They run you hard for 2 years at a low wage and then find a way to screw you. Most companies are looking for young big titted Barbie Dolls. Most of those bimbos are right out of college and aren't smart enough to sell a budweiser to a Raiders's fan. They get into the doc's office by flashing tits and legs. Merck is hiring reps almost as fast as they settle law suits. A good company to start with because they have great training and most companies will always hire a current or former Merck rep.
Also look at Ventiv and Innovex. These are contract companies that back fill positions for the larger companies and also provide a sales force for companies that are launching new products. Their contracts last from 1 to 5 years. If you prove yourself, the parent company will offer you a permanent position. Start your search on Monster and good luck.

topless
10-18-2006, 08:15 AM
MY wife is a Certifed Phamarcy Technician.
I have been trying to get her to do something else for better pay.
BrianShe needs a college degree.

THATJEFFGUY
10-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Oh c'mon..anyone can sell drugs. The trick is not getting caught ! :D

Goad
10-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Exactly. Many pharm companies are recruiting college cheer leaders...NO JOKE.
this is true....i work at allergan (botox)....you should see some of the tail wondering around that campus.

Hallett19
10-18-2006, 09:48 PM
All good info, thanks for the replys !!