PDA

View Full Version : What to Do????

BRSTQUEST
10-18-2006, 03:19 PM
I don't know what to do. Well I take that back, I know what I want to do just not sure what other people think.
I had a person on this board do some stereo work for me. They work for a large custom stereo shop and have given advise and opinion on this board before. I had them install a very mild stereo upgrade in my truck. I have had problems with it from the very start. One of the pieces installed was a JL Cleansweep. The entire system is JL with the stock headunit. The installer thought the trouble was the Cleansweep and removed it and installed a normal line converter in its place. We had the understanding the Cleansweep would be replaced or I would get my money back. I have sent the installer several PM's and e-mails, but I have not gotten a response. Iam still having problems with the system and I want to either get money back for cleansweep or have it replaced.....
The problem is do I "out" this person or what???? I don't want anyone to take me being kind for easy. I think I have been more than patient and am tired of my stuff not working. Hopefully the installer reads this and handles the situation correctly....
Thanks, any suggestions would be appreciated

RitcheyRch
10-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Take it back to their shop and have them try to fix it again.

BRSTQUEST
10-18-2006, 03:22 PM
This job was done as a side job, and was installed at his house. He has looked at it twice but it still does not work.

Mandelon
10-18-2006, 04:37 PM
That sucks. Maybe this will help them find time to get to it....

Nord
10-18-2006, 05:51 PM
are you having problems with motor noise???
Replace that stock head unit. I'm guessing there is a RCA converter in there somewhere and making noise.
Is that it??
What are the symptoms??

blown dough
10-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Cleansweep that's 100% of the problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Hardly Satisfied
10-18-2006, 10:50 PM
let him know your going to post this on the boards

Nord
10-19-2006, 12:10 AM
let him know your going to post this on the boards
I have a feeling, he already knows....................

JetBoatRich
10-19-2006, 04:47 AM
Looks like you are making him aware of your concern by starting this thread :rolleyes:

a catered life
10-19-2006, 07:05 AM
since you asked
first off remember its your money and your truck...but i dont think you should have aired it on here.... :rolleyes: thats your opinion...personally i would rather approach the person and demand that they start over on the install from the start....i hope that if he is a fellow boater then he will have the heart and friendship and be decent about it and fix the problem.....but to be really honest with you...you f'ed up by letting someone do it at their home regardless of who the are...your vechile is a expensive part of your life and you should always make sure if your going to do something without a written reciept you better be prepared to accept the issues that come with a under the table jobs

Hardly Satisfied
10-19-2006, 07:17 AM
I have a feeling, he already knows....................
I yhink he should step up and take care of it

DILLIGAF
10-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Call him directly instead of an em. If you need to go by his house. If you have done everything you can think of to get in contact with him and you still have no results the HBF can get you attention but once out of the bag you can't put it back in. Be careful and make sure you have done everything first before you name them here.
Does the shop know he is doing side jobs? If he worked for me and I didn't know about the side jobs that could be a major problem right there.
Hmmmmmm.......

All-Star
10-19-2006, 08:09 AM
Thinking about what DILLIGAF said....
Maybe you can hint to him that "Perhaps his employer would like to know that he is doing side jobs"...??? :idea:
Maybe that get his attention.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
10-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Post the name damit!! Ther is not enough drama around hear!!!!! LOL!

a catered life
10-20-2006, 06:47 AM
give it another month and the drama will be in full swing :p

Froggystyle
10-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Why would anyone want to get someone in trouble with their employer for doing them a hot-boat favor?
I agree that I would be pissed to find out that one of my employees was doing "garage marine" using our stuff, purchased or not. If you got a great deal (his price) on components and a great deal on install (his cost was likely well below shop rates) than you are on your own. You aren't going to get a warrantee from the shop, because there isn't one and you aren't likely going to get a guy who probably figures he is about to lose whatever profit he was going to make on this thing by diving into a hardware issue.
Basically, you have no support, and that is the price you pay for not buying the support a shop gives you. Hopefully, the guy wants to get the thing resolved as best as he can, but I don't think it is your place to look a gift horse in the mouth and complain about paying probably less than half of what it would cost to have had the store do it.
Now, on the flip side, if you bought all of the gear retail, you can then install it in whatever means you want to, including hiring a friend (essentially what this situation is...) to do it. If the gear doesn't work, you can return it.
One of the key aspects of shop ownership is compatibility and research. You need to know what works with what, and what you can expect from the system. Properly designed systems cost some cash, and something as simple as power wires co-located with the RCA wires can cause all of these problems. Shops will have a performance warranty. Guys doing it out of their garages have no means of providing that for the most part.
Good luck to you. I certainly wouldn't involve his employer. That would be a terrible means to solve the problem.

ratso
10-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Why would anyone want to get someone in trouble with their employer for doing them a hot-boat favor?
I agree that I would be pissed to find out that one of my employees was doing "garage marine" using our stuff, purchased or not. If you got a great deal (his price) on components and a great deal on install (his cost was likely well below shop rates) than you are on your own. You aren't going to get a warrantee from the shop, because there isn't one and you aren't likely going to get a guy who probably figures he is about to lose whatever profit he was going to make on this thing by diving into a hardware issue.
Basically, you have no support, and that is the price you pay for not buying the support a shop gives you. Hopefully, the guy wants to get the thing resolved as best as he can, but I don't think it is your place to look a gift horse in the mouth and complain about paying probably less than half of what it would cost to have had the store do it.
Now, on the flip side, if you bought all of the gear retail, you can then install it in whatever means you want to, including hiring a friend (essentially what this situation is...) to do it. If the gear doesn't work, you can return it.
One of the key aspects of shop ownership is compatibility and research. You need to know what works with what, and what you can expect from the system. Properly designed systems cost some cash, and something as simple as power wires co-located with the RCA wires can cause all of these problems. Shops will have a performance warranty. Guys doing it out of their garages have no means of providing that for the most part.
Good luck to you. I certainly wouldn't involve his employer. That would be a terrible means to solve the problem.
I totally agree!
People that work for me get propositioned to do work on the side, and if they choose to do that for a friend, then I really don't mind. A guy that used to work for me years ago would do all kinds of things on the side, at a much cheaper price, and a lot less quality... We guarantee our transom jobs for as long as the customer owns the boat. My "help" at the time decided to take one of them on the side and do it. A few years later this customer came back and said that "Scott" put a transom in for him (Scott was recently fired) and it went bad. Naturally I go to pull his information up and can't find a transom job that he ever paid for. I found out that it was done on the side, Scott collected the money, and also did one of the shittiest jobs I've ever seen. The customer still expected me to cover it!!! What a freakin' Idiot! I offered to do it again with our warranty at a reduced rate... and this guy still complained and I hear to this day that he still goes around bad-mouthing us... You can't please everyone in this business, but what sucks is someone bad mouthing you when you never did the repair to begin with. :mad:
Come to think of it, I see that type of attitude a lot on these forums... :idea:

Mandelon
10-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Don't forget the other side to the story too. It seems the bandwagon here gets rolling before all facts are on the table. Maybe the guy installed everything right but it still doesn't work right due to a faulty piece of equipment......is that his fault?

Her454
10-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Don't forget the other side to the story too. It seems the bandwagon here gets rolling before all facts are on the table. Maybe the guy installed everything right but it still doesn't work right due to a faulty piece of equipment......is that his fault?
Agree with both Froggy and Mandy on this. Talk to them AGAIN and make sure they understand HOW upset you are before you do any more damage with a thread. Seems lately they have had a way of biting back when both sides are out in the open.

BRSTQUEST
10-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Well Iam glad to see some input on the topic.
First, I would never get the shop involved because they have nothing to do with this project at all and I think that would be C.S. to possible get someone in trouble.
Second, I didn't really get that big of discount on any aspect of the project, in fact I gave the installer $100 tip because they were able to get the project done fast.
Third, I don't know what the problem is, cause it has been impossible to get a response about the piece that was removed (JL Cleansweep), but the issue has continued with the traditional line converter installed.
This has been a project since the end of March and I just want the truck to be right. I think I have been more than patient.
Thanks for the opinions

a catered life
10-20-2006, 02:10 PM
since you asked
first off remember its your money and your truck...but i dont think you should have aired it on here.... :rolleyes: thats your opinion...personally i would rather approach the person and demand that they start over on the install from the start....i hope that if he is a fellow boater then he will have the heart and friendship and be decent about it and fix the problem.....but to be really honest with you...you f'ed up by letting someone do it at their home regardless of who the are...your vechile is a expensive part of your life and you should always make sure if your going to do something without a written reciept you better be prepared to accept the issues that come with a under the table jobs
this guy made a few good points :p

Moneypitt
10-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Who supplied the equipment? If he did then you have every right to bitch. If you bought the stuff and he just installed it then his end would only be attached to the labor, not the componants. Could you clairify???.......MP

Boatandrvloanguy
10-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Mike you crack me up.....

BRSTQUEST
11-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I just want to say thanks to Competition Sound in Artesia. They found the problem that has been plaguing my system for months in about ten minutes. As it turned out it was a bad RCA from a less than perfect installation. They are standup guys and do great work...If any of you need quality work done to any of your toys I would reccomend Competition Sound in Artesia. I guess I should have went to them the first, second or third time.....Good job guys and thanks