PDA

View Full Version : Man gets 24 years for fatal crash

fasthtm
10-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Man gets 24 years for fatal crash
LAKE HAVASU: He drove his boat into a watercraft and a Norco husband and father was killed.
10:00 PM PDT on Thursday, October 19, 2006
By SONJA BJELLAND
The Press-Enterprise
A man convicted of being drunk when he drove his boat into another watercraft on Lake Havasu, killing a Norco man, was sentenced Thursday to more than 24 years in prison.
Before Superior Court Judge Bob Krug sentenced William Wayne Anno in the San Bernardino Courthouse, the family of Lance Furman told the court what life has been like without a father and husband. He was 32.
Furman's wife, Wendy, and son Nick suffered head injuries that continue to plague them. Both take medication, and Nick continues in rehabilitation for the brain damage.
"I hate taking medicine every day," Nick, 13, told the court. "My friends don't call me as much or come around. I will never be able to race BMX or dirt bikes or play football because of my brain injury."
Wendy Furman and other family members asked the judge to give the maximum sentence allowed. A San Bernardino County jury convicted Anno in August of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and negligent use of a watercraft for the 2004 death and injuries.
"The man that killed my husband is still here with his family and they can visit and talk to him," Wendy Furman said as she cried. "He will get to come home at the end of his sentence, but Lance will never be able to come home."
Since 1990, Anno has been in and out of Southern California jails and prison. Days before the collision, the Downey resident attended a court-mandated alcohol-education class for a previous conviction for driving under the influence, said Deputy District Attorney David Varman.
Anno's attorney, M.J. De La Pena, argued the case should be dismissed or taken to a lesser charge because Lance Furman had methamphetamine in his system when the two boats collided. Krug denied all of her motions.
Factoring in a prior strike for a robbery conviction and a number of probation violations, Krug sentenced Anno to 24 years and four months in prison.
"His record is deplorable," Krug said.

centerhill condor
10-20-2006, 12:23 PM
boats, booze, and speed just don't mix!

Jyruiz
10-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Thats not enough.

2Driver
10-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Thats not enough.
Yep, should have hung em. :crossx:

Kilrtoy
10-20-2006, 12:52 PM
About time someone gets a decent sentence.
i recall the last few accidents got off on probation

RitcheyRch
10-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Definitely shouldnt be able to get out on parole.
Thats not enough.

callbob4homes
10-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Anno's attorney, M.J. De La Pena, argued the case should be dismissed or taken to a lesser charge because Lance Furman had methamphetamine in his system when the two boats collided. Krug denied all of her motions.
WTF?????????????????? he should get double and she should just be in the joint too, for even coming up with that lame ass strategy. :mad:

Dribble
10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
boats, booze, and speed just don't mix!
And stupidity.

Mrs 2LKHVSU
10-20-2006, 02:04 PM
The Furman family were our old neighbors before they moved to Norco. We see Wendy and the kids around town and occastionally in Havasu.

Moneypitt
10-20-2006, 02:17 PM
WTF?????????????????? he should get double and she should just be in the joint too, for even coming up with that lame ass strategy. :mad:
His attorney was arguing that the victim (Furman) was partially at fault because the victim had speed in his system, not the defendant (Anno) . Trying to spread the blame towards the victim is not uncommon in cases where both drivers/operators could've been impaired..........MP

BoatPI
10-20-2006, 02:20 PM
If he had been prosecuted in Mohave County he might have received 24 months.

Boatcop
10-20-2006, 02:28 PM
If he had been prosecuted in Mohave County he might have received 24 months.
In La Paz he would have got 12. :mad:

callbob4homes
10-20-2006, 02:31 PM
His attorney was arguing that the victim (Furman) was partially at fault because the victim had speed in his system, not the defendant (Anno) . Trying to spread the blame towards the victim is not uncommon in cases where both drivers/operators could've been impaired..........MP
ok stand corrected here, just pissed me off so much I read past that part.