PDA

View Full Version : "Oil Sweating" on my HD..

River918
10-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Anyone headr of this? Here's what's going on...
Truck is a 2006 Chevy 2500HD with a LBZ DUramax and Allison Trans. just under 7k miles...
About a month ago I noticed a small oil leak towards the rear of the engine, above the oil pan. I took the truck in to have it looked at and they told me the oil pan seal was leaking. I though to myself, "Self, I'm not a mechanic or an expert on the laws of gravity, but I wonder how oil can leak up?" and no, I haven't spent anytime inverted with the truck. I explained my non-expert observations to the service advisor and he assured me the leak was coming from the oil pan.
I brought the truck home and it sat for about a week before it was driven any more. The Mrs. then drove it about 100 miles one day and when she got home I noticed the oil residue was back in the same place. It wasn't dripping, but it was definately there. It is actually right above the the oil pan, on the passenger side of the motor, where where the bell housing connects.
I took it back to the dealer and dropped it off again. I got a call today and the advisor said it was normal "oil sweating" of the seal. I went down and picked it up. prior to leaving the lot, I saw that the area was almost clean before I left to come home. I explained my concern to the advisor and he said to bring it back if it actually "drips."
I drove home (about 15 miles) and when I got here, I noticed the area was "sweating" again. It wasn't dripping (yet), but there is dust coated oil in the same area.
So My quesion is...Has anyone heard of this diagnoses before "Sweating oils seals?"... I figure at this rate I should sweat through about a quart of oil every month or so. :mad: :mad: :mad:

cc322
10-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Brian you might get a better response here.
http://dieselplace.com/forum/index.php

Nubbs
10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
River,
I feel your pain. However, after going through what I've gone through the past year with my Ford, I can't help but laugh. It's amazing what they'll say to get the customer off their back. I had the same problem with my Ford, except Ford calls it "seepage". LOL This "seepage" was perfectly normal and acceptable too. When the leak got worse, Ford changed the condition to "excessive seepage". All I can say is be persistant.

River918
10-25-2006, 09:00 AM
River,
I feel your pain. However, after going through what I've gone through the past year with my Ford, I can't help but laugh. It's amazing what they'll say to get the customer off their back. I had the same problem with my Ford, except Ford calls it "seepage". LOL This "seepage" was perfectly normal and acceptable too. When the leak got worse, Ford changed the condition to "excessive seepage". All I can say is be persistant.
I will.....I went through alot of problems with my Ford and eventually got it bought back...

HMF'er
10-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Try going to a different dealer. They may have a different opinion.

soupersonic
10-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Lmao, god forbid they actually call it a leak,much less fix it :rolleyes: That phrase "normal" and "couldnt reproduce the condition " is becoming commonplace. Dealers these days :yuk: I guess i bunch of people actually believe them and go away until its much worse,out of warranty and on the customers dime. I would definatly get another dealer to look at it

EmpirE231
10-27-2006, 04:18 PM
mine seemed to have the same problem at around 7-8k (2005 durumax) ... front transfer case/diff ...took it in and said they put some dye in it to see if it keeps leeking..... never really paid much attention to it since then.... got it lifted and tada... there's a leak coming from the same area!! one dealer completly said not covered due to lift! another dealership covered the leak , but charged me $600 in labor for the lift being in the way of them fixing it :crossx:
ohh and yeah that "could not duplicate problem" pisses me off! they cant duplicate shit!! I have so many small ratelling noises / clicking noises in the cab that drive me crazy.... but they cant duplicate them?? they found one in my rear seat,.... but then claimed that its not covered due to "modification for subwoofer" (it's behind the seat) .... and the box for the woofers is your regular sub box... just placed behing the seat? no customization... and it's deff not causing the ratteling? gues if you put a toolbag back there that can void the warranty too??? the dealers are pricks and warranty's are almost a joke!

Trailer Park Casanova
11-01-2006, 03:31 AM
Try going to a different dealer. They may have a different opinion.
There it is.
And like Nubbs said, they're trying to get you off their back.
It's a bad seal, it needs replacing.

RitcheyRch
11-01-2006, 05:03 AM
Most dealers dont have "true" mechanics that can actually diagnosis problems. All they are is "high dollar" parts changers. If the computer doesnt tell them something wrong with the car they cant fix it.
This not typical of most dealers but the ones I have dealt with in the past.

Norseman
11-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Anyone headr of this? Here's what's going on...
Truck is a 2006 Chevy 2500HD with a LBZ DUramax and Allison Trans. just under 7k miles...
About a month ago I noticed a small oil leak towards the rear of the engine, above the oil pan. I took the truck in to have it looked at and they told me the oil pan seal was leaking. I though to myself, "Self, I'm not a mechanic or an expert on the laws of gravity, but I wonder how oil can leak up?" and no, I haven't spent anytime inverted with the truck. I explained my non-expert observations to the service advisor and he assured me the leak was coming from the oil pan.
I brought the truck home and it sat for about a week before it was driven any more. The Mrs. then drove it about 100 miles one day and when she got home I noticed the oil residue was back in the same place. It wasn't dripping, but it was definately there. It is actually right above the the oil pan, on the passenger side of the motor, where where the bell housing connects.
I took it back to the dealer and dropped it off again. I got a call today and the advisor said it was normal "oil sweating" of the seal. I went down and picked it up. prior to leaving the lot, I saw that the area was almost clean before I left to come home. I explained my concern to the advisor and he said to bring it back if it actually "drips."
I drove home (about 15 miles) and when I got here, I noticed the area was "sweating" again. It wasn't dripping (yet), but there is dust coated oil in the same area.
So My quesion is...Has anyone heard of this diagnoses before "Sweating oils seals?"... I figure at this rate I should sweat through about a quart of oil every month or so. :mad: :mad: :mad:
I had a similar problem years ago with a used BSA and later a new Truimph motorcycle I had. I learned when they stopped sweating they were out of oil!!!
The Truimph dealer told me it was normal too!!!!!!!
If it were mine I'd keep complaining, somethings not right!

Trailer Park Casanova
12-02-2006, 09:27 PM
I had a similar problem years ago with a used BSA and later a new Truimph motorcycle I had. I learned when they stopped sweating they were out of oil!!!
The Truimph dealer told me it was normal too!!!!!!!
If it were mine I'd keep complaining, somethings not right!
The Brits drink their beer warm because their refers are made by Lucas.

Ken F
12-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Norseman, Both of those bikes came with the warranty that if they didn't leak from the factory, you could send them back to have them fixed.
ken F