PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read any good books lately........

barbigrl
10-25-2006, 09:47 AM
seriously!!!
ok I am totally bored....... :)

Aqua Boogie1
10-25-2006, 09:54 AM
I read MONSTER.....................I forgot the author.

3 daytona`s
10-25-2006, 09:58 AM
seriously!!!
I`ve become a fan of Mitch Albom, here are three of his books I`ve read and really enjoyed. "The five people you meet in heaven" "Tuesday`s with Morrie" and For one more day" very easy reads,make you think,about friends,family and what is really important. :)

MR HARLEY
10-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Fox magazine. :cool:

eliminatedsprinter
10-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Micheal Crichton's "State of Fear".
The book is a few years old, but it is the best one I've read in a long time.

UltraClean
10-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Playboy October issue....just the articles :devil:

Her454
10-25-2006, 10:08 AM
I read Under and Alone recently. It is a true story about an undercover ATF agent that rose to a national officer rank in the Mongols. Pretty interesting stuff.
Wasn't there a documentary done on that also? Seems I remember seeing something about it, very interesting too.

lucky
10-25-2006, 10:10 AM
John steinbecks - torrtilla flats :)
and if that doesn't work - hustler - great for right arm workouts - My forarm is huge :) :crossx:

76ANTHONY
10-25-2006, 10:11 AM
i just got done reading HOW TO KICK BARBIGRLS AZZ IN TWO EASY STEPS, does that count??? :crossx:

Not So Fast
10-25-2006, 10:19 AM
I read Under and Alone recently. It is a true story about an undercover ATF agent that rose to a national officer rank in the Mongols. Pretty interesting stuff.
Very good book for a true story, William Queen has balls of steel. Another good book is Chuck Zitos auto called "Street Justice" of life becoming the President of N.Y. Chapter of the Hells Angels. Lots of good info in that one. NSF

Her454
10-25-2006, 10:25 AM
I have heard they will be making it into a movie in the next couple of years. Don't know about the documentary though.
I have also read the Sonny Berger books. I forget the last one I read but the Mongols book was a little more interesting to me.
Nevermind, it was Sonny that I was thinking about.......... I got my gangs mixed up ;) :crossx: I guess that Red Bull hasn't kicked in yet Tom. :rollside:

GrapeApe
10-25-2006, 10:33 AM
That was a great Book... I read it in 2 Days.. Couldn't put it down.. I actually read it because I knew someone who was mentioned in the Book...
It would make for a great Movie!!!
*** Grape Ape ***

BajaMike
10-25-2006, 10:39 AM
“Forever Odd” by Dean Koontz was good, so was James Patterson’s “Mary, Mary”….
All of John D. MacDonald’s “Travis McGee” books are excellent…..
“Nature Girl” by Carl Hiaasen, very good and funny!
:idea: :rollside: :)

Biglue
10-25-2006, 10:42 AM
I read ***boat, their free shirt with subscription part had me LMAO. :crossx:

ViB
10-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Finally got around to reading the Da Vinci code...thought the ending was a letdown, but the reading was good!

switchin'addiction
10-25-2006, 10:47 AM
That was a great Book... I read it in 2 Days.. Couldn't put it down..
It would make for a great Movie!!!
*** Grape Ape ***
Same here...couldn't put it down. That Red Dog was a mean bastard!

BajaMike
10-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Finally got around to reading the Da Vinci code...thought the ending was a letdown, but the reading was good!
I thought the first half of the book was great, the middle was too far fetched and ridiculous, and the last quarter of the book was barely readable! :idea:
:cry:

Cole Trickle
10-25-2006, 10:56 AM
I thought the first half of the book was great, the middle was too far fetched and ridiculous, and the last quarter of the book was barely readable! :idea:
:cry:
Agreed....but it was a page turner.
Still better than the movie. :)

syke-o
10-25-2006, 10:58 AM
currently reading An American Tradegy, which is ok so far, and before this one i read 2 Years Before the Mast which i really enjoyed...

spectras only
10-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Just finished reading the oct issue of ***boat :rollside: .
Seriously , you should read some from Wilbur Smith , like the 'Burning shores' , 'A time to die' etc..... Some classics from Zola are pretty good with some juicy content ;) .

barbigrl
10-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone....i read a lot. Currently I am reading The Historian, it is about the history of Count Dracula, with a fictional storyline.....and "I Elizabeth".... and listening to on cd "A Million Little Peices" ok so I am dork!! :) (my job is boring)
by the way i said BOOKS!!! :rolleyes:

BajaMike
10-25-2006, 11:04 AM
currently reading An American Tradegy, which is ok so far, and before this one i read 2 Years Before the Mast which i really enjoyed...
"2 Years Before the Mast" by Richard Henry Dana, (ie..Dana Point, CA)....never read it but would like to. If you like that, you would probably like the "Master and Commander" series by Patrick O'Brian, actually about 20 books, I've read or listened to most on audio books, very good!

TAF
10-25-2006, 11:15 AM
John steinbecks - torrtilla flats :)
and if that doesn't work - hustler - great for right arm workouts - My forarm is huge :) :crossx:
I thought it was from playing air hockey?

TAF
10-25-2006, 11:19 AM
seriously!!!
I just finished "City of Bones" by Micheal Connelly the
two of his I've read all take place in L.A. County and you can visualize driving down most of the streets he's talking about past many of the not so big landmarks some of have grown up around. The first was great and t5he second was not as good but I liked it. Cops and lawyers stuff.

FMluvswater
10-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Recently read David Eddings' Elenium trilogy: "The Diamond Throne", "The Ruby Knight", and "The Sapphire Rose". It's kinda weird I am not all that impressed with his writing and yet I read all 3 books and I became fond of some of his characters. He at least has a sense of humor I can appreciate- laughed out loud a few times while I was reading. :idea:
Finished John Grisham's "The Summons" just last night - found the ending kinda ho-hum after all the intense lead in but I usually love JG's books.

DILLIGAF
10-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Nevermind, it was Sonny that I was thinking about.......... I got my gangs mixed up ;) :crossx: I guess that Red Bull hasn't kicked in yet Tom. :rollside:
Is this one of those blonde moments? You can blame it on the RB if you want to though...:)

spectras only
10-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey FM , send some of your early fiction writings to Barbigrl :rollside:

DILLIGAF
10-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Very good book for a true story, William Queen has balls of steel. Another good book is Chuck Zitos auto called "Street Justice" of life becoming the President of N.Y. Chapter of the Hells Angels. Lots of good info in that one. NSF
I haven't read it yet and I know it has been out for a while. I ordered it but it was not in stock at the time.

syke-o
10-25-2006, 12:12 PM
"2 Years Before the Mast" by Richard Henry Dana, (ie..Dana Point, CA)....never read it but would like to. If you like that, you would probably like the "Master and Commander" series by Patrick O'Brian, actually about 20 books, I've read or listened to most on audio books, very good!
thanks i will have to check them out..

Miss Jackie
10-25-2006, 12:15 PM
M- you could help me this weekend and allllll next week too. Call me!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-25-2006, 12:44 PM
LMAO! I'm teaching the kids about the Mongol invasion of China right now and I actually had to read that post 3 times to figure out what an ATF agent had to do with the 13th century. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132smashfreak.gif
I just finished "In Cold Blood" by Capote, and even though I knew how the story ended, I seriously could not put it down. That doesn't happen to me very often.

DILLIGAF
10-25-2006, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=My Man's Sportin' Wood]LMAO! I'm teaching the kids about the Mongol invasion of China right now and I actually had to read that 3 times to figure out what an ATF agent had to do with the 13th century. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132smashfreak.gif
[QUOTE]
That is funny Angie :) Maybe they could go on a field trip and check out the Mongols in person...lol They would be fine but you might get in a little trouble

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-25-2006, 12:55 PM
That is funny Angie :) Maybe they could go on a field trip and check out the Mongols in person...lol They would be fine but you might get in a little trouble
LOL, probably wouldn't be much different than what they are used to. You know I work in Perris, right? :D Good idea, I should put in a request.

Debbolas
10-25-2006, 03:35 PM
:D
just finished Vince Flynn "Consent to Kill" and the sequel "Act of Treason".
Currently working on Michael Connelly "Echo Park" then Steven Kings new one...."Lisey's Story".
and...........I KNOW I'm a nerd, my tattoo artist sister called me one when I told her my Hot Boat Name:D and I'm a Stephan Hawking Groupie :D ;)
Loved Michael Critton's global warming book :D
and anything by Carl Haaisen:D, is that nature girl a new one? :idea:
I couldn't get into the Historian, I will try again :D

BajaMike
10-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Carl Haaisen:D, is that nature girl a new one? :idea:
yes, his newest one. :idea:

Debbolas
10-25-2006, 03:51 PM
yes, his newest one. :idea:
cool beans :D
I will check it out!
Also John Mac Donald was an awesome writer, I read all the books my library had by him :D
I liked the Jimmy Buffett book, but my friend told me something unflattering about him, so I don't like him so much anymore..... :rolleyes:

YeLLowBoaT
10-25-2006, 04:38 PM
what about a classic??? Most of the books that i have loved have been older then I am...

Devil's Advocate
10-25-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm a big Dean Koontz fan. I've got that one but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm finishing "One Doorway Away From Heaven" first. I bought "The Da Vinci Code" maybe that one will be next instead. :rollside:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-25-2006, 04:43 PM
what about a classic??? Most of the books that i have loved have been older then I am...
That is what I usually read. Classic American Literature. Although I did force myself through "The Prince" by Machiavelli recently which I would NOT recommend :yuk: English and European Lit :yuk: :yuk:
But I love American Lit. Love, love, love, love :p

ratso
10-25-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm a big Dean Koontz fan. I've got that one but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm finishing "One Doorway Away From Heaven" first. I bought "The Da Vinci Code" maybe that one will be next instead. :rollside:
I think I've been through a few of those doors... :idea:

Devil's Advocate
10-25-2006, 05:41 PM
I think I've been through a few of those doors... :idea:
And exiting through the back door of hell. :idea:

Throttle
10-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Playboy October issue....just the articles :devil:
what articles

Throttle
10-25-2006, 05:43 PM
ok, seriously... i was dumb enough to read a couple of new quad manuals... I missed the pictures so I went back to playboy...

ratso
10-25-2006, 05:55 PM
And exiting through the back door of hell. :idea:
lol...

FMluvswater
10-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey FM , send some of your early fiction writings to Barbigrl :rollside:
If she was interested in that sort of writing I would. Barbigrl if you wanna read some smut I wrote PM me and I'll hook you up. :smile:

Throttle
10-25-2006, 07:52 PM
does ***boat count, cuz I read some of that today...

Mandelon
10-25-2006, 07:59 PM
I read all 2000 something posts in later's Sunk the Boat thread.... :mad: :yuk: :cry: :rollside:

Old Texan
10-25-2006, 08:50 PM
If you like John D Mac and Hiassen, try Randy Wayne White's "Doc Ford" series and Tom Corcoran's series based in Key West. Great reads.
Randy is a real colorful guy who used to guide in south FL and still lives near Sanibel Island. Corcoran co-wrote some stuff with Jimmy Buffett.

Old Texan
10-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Read Dan Brown's other book "Angels and Demons". I think it's better than the DV Code. Some real wild stuff.

Old Texan
10-25-2006, 08:57 PM
I liked the Jimmy Buffett book, but my friend told me something unflattering about him, so I don't like him so much anymore..... :rolleyes:
C,mon ya gotta tell us....what'd they say about Jimmy?????

3 daytona`s
10-25-2006, 09:09 PM
I will check it out!
Also John Mac Donald was an awesome writer, I read all the books my library had by him :D
That`s a classic=my friend told me something= I read it on the internet :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BajaMike
10-25-2006, 09:33 PM
I will check it out!
Only bother with the John D MacDonald books in the "Travis McGee" series, they are all great. They all have a "color" in the title, like "Deep Blue Goodbye"....his others (like "Condominium") are a waiste of time. But the Travis McGee are great, one of the great fictional characters of 20th Century "paperback" fiction. I've read some a couple times.
:rollside:

a catered life
10-26-2006, 06:39 AM
does playboy count :p

Debbolas
01-26-2007, 09:09 AM
C,mon ya gotta tell us....what'd they say about Jimmy?????
My friend went to a concert with him. He worked for a alcholic beverage company, so they had a private suite. Jimmy came up to say "hi" and wouldn't sign a jacket my friend had because he was convinced my friend would sell it off. My friend had like 50 artists sign his jacket. Which he still has......:rolleyes:
Currently reading The Hostage by Web Griffin
I see Joseph Wambaugh has a new book out :D

Froggystyle
01-26-2007, 09:12 AM
I am just finishing up "How to Get Rich" and "Think like a Billionaire" by Donald Trump. Great advice. Working on Donny Deutch's book as well.
One by the bedstand to start on is Colin Powell's autobiography.

Riverless
01-26-2007, 09:27 AM
for all you dog lovers out there, i just finished Marley and Me, great book!

AltarGirl
01-26-2007, 09:28 AM
for all you dog lovers out there, i just finished Marley and Me, great book!
Best book ever! I cried my eyes out at the end though!
I just finished "Running w/Scissors" it was great. I read it in about a week or 2 & just loved it

My Man's Sportin' Wood
01-26-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm into Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley" now. When he got in his 60s, he determined that he had been in New York City for so long, that he didn't know what America or Americans were like anymore, which are the main subjects of his writing. So he bought himself a pickem' up truck and cabover camper, packed up his dog, and spent several months incognito just traveling around the country talking to Americans and getting to know the country again. His insight throughout this book so far are fascinating and humorous.

bunny 166
01-26-2007, 09:35 AM
My friend went to a concert with him. He worked for a alcholic beverage company, so they had a private suite. Jimmy came up to say "hi" and wouldn't sign a jacket my friend had because he was convinced my friend would sell it off. My friend had like 50 artists sign his jacket. Which he still has......:rolleyes:
Currently reading The Hostage by Web Griffin
I see Joseph Wambaugh has a new book out :D
Deb, did you bump this thread to prove Froggy's point that readers type (speak) better on the internet?:rolleyes: :D Just finished Robert Crais' "The 2 Minute Rule." Good one....

Riverless
01-26-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm into Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley" now. When he got in his 60s, he determined that he had been in New York City for so long, that he didn't know what America or Americans were like anymore, which are the main subjects of his writing. So he bought himself a pickem' up truck and cabover camper, packed up his dog, and spent several months incognito just traveling around the country talking to Americans and getting to know the country again. His insight throughout this book so far are fascinating and humorous.
oh, i've been meaning to pick up that book for a long time, thanks for reminding me, it does sound fascinating. i love steinbeck.

Riverless
01-26-2007, 09:38 AM
Best book ever! I cried my eyes out at the end though!
I just finished "Running w/Scissors" it was great. I read it in about a week or 2 & just loved it
i cried my eyes out too, having lost my beloved cocker spaniel to a brain tumor a little over a year ago. :(

Debbolas
01-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Deb, did you bump this thread to prove Froggy's point that readers type (speak) better on the internet?

Windy
01-26-2007, 09:52 AM
I just finished an excellent book. Its one of those books you can not put down. Incredible true story.
Stolen Lives, Twenty Years in a Desert Jail.
http://www.justicedenied.org/stolenlives.htm

Windy
01-26-2007, 09:53 AM
One by the bedstand to start on is Colin Powell's autobiography.
I want to read that. Wes, have you read, "Its your ship?"

dumbandyoung
01-26-2007, 10:59 AM
I just read Awaking the Giant Within by Anthony Robbins.. Great Book. I just started the autobiography of Ben Franklin.. its good so far!

Froggystyle
01-26-2007, 11:06 AM
I want to read that. Wes, have you read, "Its your ship?"
No... Who wrote that one?

Tremor Therapy
01-26-2007, 12:09 PM
I read all 2000 something posts in later's Sunk the Boat thread.... :mad: :yuk: :cry: :rollside:
So I take it you are a fiction fan? :D

Craig
01-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Finished Scott Smith's second book "The Ruins" It was good, going to go and get his first book. Other recent ones were "Human Monsters, An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Worlds Most Vicious Murderers" The wife thought that one was weird :D Then "Gangsters & Goodfellas, The Mob, Witness Protection and Life on the Run" This was by Henry Hill, the main character in Goodfellas. It tells about his life after the movie story and gives more details not in the movie.
Just starting Lee Child's "The Hard Way"

Windy
01-26-2007, 12:29 PM
No... Who wrote that one?
I dont know...I'll have to ask my LT, he recommended we all read it. I will let you know.

Windy
01-26-2007, 12:31 PM
I just picked up NY Times Bestseller...."Flags of Our Fathers," by James Bradley.

Debbolas
01-26-2007, 02:44 PM
:D Michael Crichton has a new book out as does Carl Hiaasen. :D

AltarGirl
01-26-2007, 02:46 PM
:D Michael Crichton has a new book out as does Carl Hiaasen. :D
I really like "Skinny Dip" from Carl Hiaasen

Debbolas
01-26-2007, 02:57 PM
I really like "Skinny Dip" from Carl Hiaasen
He is so funny :D That is a great book! His new one is called "Nature Girl" I can't wait to read it :D
"StripTease" was good and "Sick Puppy" he is so "off the wall":jawdrop:

AltarGirl
01-26-2007, 03:04 PM
He is so funny :D That is a great book! His new one is called "Nature Girl" I can't wait to read it :D
"StripTease" was good and "Sick Puppy" he is so "off the wall":jawdrop:
I really like Augusten Borroughs, I just discovered him about a year ago. He's amazing.
I really like Janet Evanovich too

Riverless
01-26-2007, 03:08 PM
I just picked up NY Times Bestseller...."Flags of Our Fathers," by James Bradley.
I didn't read the book, but I saw the movie and it was great.