PDA

View Full Version : Tranny mount on 1972 F100

19Kona
10-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Ok, I am new to this truck. It has a C6 tranny, but did not come with a tranny mount for the cross member (trans was not installed when I got the truck). Does anyone know if the C6 requires a special mount or ??? I guess the truck didn't originally come with a C6 tranny. Help appreciated, thanks in advance. I will be using the truck to pull by boat around Parker, and the truck has a 429 in it.

DelawareDave
10-25-2006, 11:14 AM
It probably came with a 3 speed Ford-O-Matic, or a manual trans in it. Aluminum bell housing, cast iron center section, and aluminum tailshaft. Hard to remember what had what back then, although I did work as a wrench at a Ford dealer back then. You may be able to use a stock mount that fits the C6 and adapt it to the x-member.

FryJet
10-25-2006, 03:45 PM
What did the truck come with originaly, auto or maual ? Also what engine? 360-390? I've had a few of these trucks and know them pretty well. If you need to know anything just let me know. Here's a pic of my old 67 F-2fiddy.
F.J.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1909Picture_097-med.jpg

N2Lake
10-25-2006, 04:37 PM
I used a mount out of a later 70s F150 when I swapped the FE out of my 65.

19Kona
10-25-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't actually know what it came with origin, but it does have what looks like the original shifter on the column. Now it has a 429, and like I said it has the C6 auto. The engine and the fact that it is a CA/AZ and has no rust are the only things going for it. It is otherwise rough. I will need the tranny mount, a grill, an alternator, a seat, etc... before it can venture out from the yard. I will get some pix of the project on my next trip to the Parker house. I am planning on getting some of the parts I need here in Los Angeles - any recommended junk yards???

FryJet
10-26-2006, 01:11 PM
I don't actually know what it came with origin, but it does have what looks like the original shifter on the column. Now it has a 429, and like I said it has the C6 auto. The engine and the fact that it is a CA/AZ and has no rust are the only things going for it. It is otherwise rough. I will need the tranny mount, a grill, an alternator, a seat, etc... before it can venture out from the yard. I will get some pix of the project on my next trip to the Parker house. I am planning on getting some of the parts I need here in Los Angeles - any recommended junk yards???
Ok......thats easy. Use a mount from a 74-79 F-250 2wd that had a C6, that should cover you. The alternator will be the same as whatever came in the truck, Ford was good about that. The seat........any bench seat out of any ford truck up to 96 will work, all you need to do it is the stock seat rails off of a 67-72. Just unbolt the rails off of the newer seat and bolt the old rails onto it and bolt it in. You might have to trim the latch that flips the back of the saet forward to clear the gas tank but that no big deal. I had a seat out of a 93 in my 67. Hope that helps.
F.J.

19Kona
10-28-2006, 09:20 AM
thank you for the responses.
I found a place that has a bunch of the trans mounts, but I need pictures and a part number or??? to tell the difference between the Ford Trans mounts. Fry Jet, if you can get pics or part numbers, please email me alexanderreyman@yahoo.com. Thanks again.

FryJet
10-28-2006, 03:26 PM
The Napa # should be a 620-1032. See if that mount will fit around the crossmember. The lower bolt goes through the crossmember horizontaly and I cant remember if the early trucks crossmember is narrow enough to accept it. I have a new stock mount for my 67 that I never used so I will take some measurements on monday to see if it will bolt up to a C6, the 67 had a Ford-O-Matic but if I rembwer correctly the bolt spacing on the tranny was the same. I'll check it out.
F.J.