PDA

View Full Version : 5 Star Shine Teflon wax

Sleek316
10-28-2006, 07:28 AM
I would be interested if anyone has tried this product.
I'm sure Big Doug is aware of this stuff.
Would be nice if there is something that resists the summer heat.

RitcheyRch
10-28-2006, 07:34 AM
Never tried. I like Collinite 845. Seems to last awhile and is easy to put on and take off.

Sleek316
10-28-2006, 07:48 AM
This 5 Star Shine stuff has PTFE which is Polytetraflouorethylene (Teflon)
I'ts unlike any kind of carnuba or other based wax. I just saw the article at the Corona Airport for detailing planes. I was just wondering if anyone has any experiance with this or similar product.
I'm thinking for a base coat and then normal ongoing maintenance @ wipedown

INSman
10-28-2006, 02:08 PM
I have used their products before, not cheap but seem to work pretty well

locogringo
10-28-2006, 07:05 PM
I used their product on the Magic and it really really kept it cleaner longer and washing it basically consisted of turning on the hose and then drying it.
I also have it on our vehiles (all black) and the same with these. Less clean time between washes (it doesn't attract dirt as fast), when I wash it, I hardly need to do any more than rinse it off and then dry it and it has a great shine.
That's it on my opinion.

Sleek316
10-29-2006, 07:31 AM
Thank you for the comments. I am going to try this product.
Hoping it will last in the heat

BigDoug
10-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Here is what your up against.
Teflon last 4-6 months but isn't a brilliant shine like wax
Wax last 2-4 months and is brilliant in color (shine)
When a customer uses a Teflon sealer from the factory it makes my job as a detailer very hard, wax is tough to get off the car, washing the car and then drying leaves streak marks and then im chasing myself.
Teflon on a boat ? ive never detailed a boat with it on so i can't give any insight on this, i just know that i tell my customers who buy a new car to not fork over a grand or two for this gimmick, if they absolutely want it i'll do it for them at a fraction of the cost but i won't keep their car up for them cause its tough to work with, this has been my experience with cars though. :)

INSman
10-29-2006, 08:37 PM
When a customer uses a Teflon sealer from the factory it makes my job as a detailer very hard, wax is tough to get off the car, washing the car and then drying leaves streak marks and then im chasing myself.
Teflon on a boat ? ive never detailed a boat with it on so i can't give any insight on this, i just know that i tell my customers who buy a new car to not fork over a grand or two for this gimmick, if they absolutely want it i'll do it for them at a fraction of the cost but i won't keep their car up for them cause its tough to work with, this has been my experience with cars though. :)
Great, where is my magical yellow wax I keep hearing about ??!!?? :rolleyes:

BigDoug
10-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Oh crap blane !!!!!!!!!!!!!! did i say i would get you some ? :)

INSman
10-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Oh crap blane !!!!!!!!!!!!!! did i say i would get you some ? :)
Uh yes sir, I believe you did .....

BigDoug
10-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Damn damn damn, maybe i should get a spanking ?
From the wife of course :)
I'll put it in the house for ya, ..................spankings are welcome :)

INSman
10-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Damn damn damn, maybe i should get a spanking ?
From the wife of course :)
I'll put it in the house for ya, ..................spankings are welcome :)
You are way too big for a spanking, but we will figure something else out for ya'

SOCALDETAIL1
10-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Doug is right. I worked for GM and applied Teflon (Permaplate) on many cars for many years, it's a total gimmick. They charge you $700 bucks and add it to your finance, so at the end you paid about $1500 bucks for a half ass detail. I have it and if you request it I will apply it, but I reccomend a good pure carnuba. I have been detailing for about 19 years and have never seen any reputable wax company sell or try to market Teflon to commercial detailers.

Magic34
10-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Doug is right. I worked for GM and applied Teflon (Permaplate) on many cars for many years, it's a total gimmick. They charge you $700 bucks and add it to your finance, so at the end you paid about $1500 bucks for a half ass detail. I have it and if you request it I will apply it, but I reccomend a good pure carnuba. I have been detailing for about 19 years and have never seen any reputable wax company sell or try to market Teflon to commercial detailers.
We had a program where we were competing with Perma Plate at the car dealers. It was a damn hard sale because Perma Plate is really an insurance company in disguise. They dont know much about detailing and the give the dealership the product at ZERO cost to the dealership. It was hard because we were trying to market a legit program, but that didn't matter and they are making a ton of $$ on PP.
The only time the dealership actually has to pay PP, is if they sell a warranty. So if the dealer says it HAS to be part of the deal because it is already applied, walk away because it is not true. The only expense they actually have is the $30 or so they had to pay the detail shop to thorw the stuff on... if it is really even on or not.

Sleek316
10-30-2006, 08:14 AM
I'll think pretty hard about this one. I think I'll take the advice of Big Doug.
It seems to be 50/50 pro/con but unless the applicator buys in you could be in trouble. I was looking for a solution and not a problem. I would like to encourage Big Doug to examine the 5 Star Shine Web site to see their compelling data.
I want Big Doug to do my boat so like I say leave it up to the applicator.

BigDoug
10-30-2006, 08:40 AM
In my honest opinion about using something as a teflon for boats im not convinced that anything can beat a quality wax from a quality detailer, as many of you know who's boats i take care of here in Havasu will tell you that what i use out here is made specific for me and for the harsh conditions we see, i will put my wax up against any others for ease of use, take off, less water spotting, and shines like no other without a doubt until im proved wrong !!!
I go to detail seminars yearly to keep up on todays trends down in San Diego where you would think they would push the Teflon in the marine environment and for the car industry........................but nope, they discourage it, they would rather see repetitive quality than once or twice a year sealants like Teflon, was this a ploy to buy their wax more often ? probably !! however i gained knowledge about this stuff and its a gimmick.
Im not bashing it, i just know its hard to work with, then a customer thinks he can go so long before the next scheduled service and has already forgot about it and wants me to come fix the end result months later, so this is why we push to recommend when it's time for a scheduled oil change its time for a scheduled detail as well from a quality base wax or polish and you need to trust your detailer cause your paying him for his knowledge.
We work hard to please our customers in every way, as many of you know, you just can't please everyone.........but we try. :) ............Doug

locogringo
10-30-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure, maybe the 5StarShine isn't all teflon then because the characterizations Big Doug stated did't happen to my boat and they don't hold true for th cars so maybe there is something else in this product besides just teflon. All I know is that it works great on black, stays on for a long time and if I am not careful, when I am walking by one of the vehicles in the garage and I am naked, it still adds 10 pounds to my alligator (if u know what I mean)

Throttle
10-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Great, where is my magical yellow wax I keep hearing about ??!!?? :rolleyes:
be carefull... when he uses yellow wax it turns everything yellow, (really yellow), except the blue, lol.

BigDoug
10-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Easy there Cam, your being a little to harsh !! :)

BigDoug
10-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Hey Loco, if you need to walk around your garage naked to add pounds to your alligator then you should seek some help....................... :cry:

Throttle
10-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Easy there Cam, your being a little to harsh !! :)
ooops, sorry. but the only place I did not use that yellow wax is the bottom of my boat - its still white... j/k :rollside:

BigDoug
10-30-2006, 10:38 PM
You need to talk to the manufacturer then, i would let them know !! :)