PDA

View Full Version : RHINO'S, I just dont get it

catman-do
10-30-2006, 08:11 AM
So we are out in Glamis from Thursady to last night. These things are everywhere! Even worst off, 99% of the people driving them are jackass's and shouldnt be behind the wheel. These things are like jet ski's on sand. Cheep to buy and take little or no experience for someone to drive. We saw kids that looked to be about 5 or 6 driving down the drags!!! WTF were the parents thinking. There was a set of 8 year olds that flipped one in front of our camp, and then one flipped at Olds on Sat, saw one upside down in a bowl on saturday by China Wall. One almost got landed on by a longtravel rail jumping into the drags on Friday. I just dont get it. Sure the rails have a lot of power and get a little crazy sometimes but those things are 100k and most likely the person driving has a fair amount of duning experience to spend that kind of money. Bikes take a certain amount of skill just to be able to ride in the soft sand in the first place, and quads are kinda like Rhinos, unless your a girl or 60 years old then you probably shouldnt be on one. just my .02 after seeing some of the morons out there this weekend.

Todd969
10-30-2006, 08:16 AM
I think you nailed it with " Jackasses"

Trailer Park Casanova
10-30-2006, 08:21 AM
So we are out in Glamis from Thursady to last night. These things are everywhere! Even worst off, 99% of the people driving them are jackass's and shouldnt be behind the wheel. These things are like jet ski's on sand. Cheep to buy and take little or no experience for someone to drive. We saw kids that looked to be about 5 or 6 driving down the drags!!! WTF were the parents thinking. There was a set of 8 year olds that flipped one in front of our camp, and then one flipped at Olds on Sat, saw one upside down in a bowl on saturday by China Wall. One almost got landed on by a longtravel rail jumping into the drags on Friday. I just dont get it. Sure the rails have a lot of power and get a little crazy sometimes but those things are 100k and most likely the person driving has a fair amount of duning experience to spend that kind of money. Bikes take a certain amount of skill just to be able to ride in the soft sand in the first place, and quads are kinda like Rhinos, unless your a girl or 60 years old then you probably shouldn't be on one. just my .02 after seeing some of the morons out there this weekend.
Millions of them,, vast, vast counts of them at the dunes.
Most were having a good time acting normal,,, but:
Thanks be it they don't go that fast up dunes,, YET.
This time next year people will be stuffing them in the sides of bowls with a little more HP.
What scared us were the families all whose heads were higher than the roll bars.
They were looking OVER the roll bars.
They take off the stock bar, and fashion a POS full length one that is way too flimsy and way too short.

Jyruiz
10-30-2006, 08:26 AM
I can see it now, dune lice. :)

BoatFloating
10-30-2006, 08:34 AM
So we are out in Glamis from Thursady to last night. These things are everywhere! Even worst off, 99% of the people driving them are jackass's and shouldnt be behind the wheel. These things are like jet ski's on sand. Cheep to buy and take little or no experience for someone to drive. We saw kids that looked to be about 5 or 6 driving down the drags!!! WTF were the parents thinking. There was a set of 8 year olds that flipped one in front of our camp, and then one flipped at Olds on Sat, saw one upside down in a bowl on saturday by China Wall. One almost got landed on by a longtravel rail jumping into the drags on Friday. I just dont get it. Sure the rails have a lot of power and get a little crazy sometimes but those things are 100k and most likely the person driving has a fair amount of duning experience to spend that kind of money. Bikes take a certain amount of skill just to be able to ride in the soft sand in the first place, and quads are kinda like Rhinos, unless your a girl or 60 years old then you probably shouldnt be on one. just my .02 after seeing some of the morons out there this weekend.
As being cheap to buy???? Not compared to a quad but to a Long travel yes. Every thing you said about them you saw I've seen with kids and dumb asses on quads so I don't see a difference. I've seen 7 year olds riding a Raptor and almost got hit 3 times at the drags. It doesn't matter what your on if you don't get it then you don't get it....

phebus
10-30-2006, 08:37 AM
As being cheap to buy???? Not compared to a quad but to a Long travel yes. Every thing you said about them you saw I've seen with kids and dumb asses on quads so I don't see a difference. I've seen 7 year olds riding a Raptor and almost got hit 3 times at the drags. It doesn't matter what your on if you don't get it then you don't get it....
What, I don't get it? :D

h2oski2fast
10-30-2006, 08:41 AM
Untrue statement.
As with boats, just because you can afford to buy it doesn't mean you are qualified to drive it.

BigDoug
10-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Rick, your to old to understand !!!!!!!!!...........................got it ? :)

BADBLOWN572
10-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Rhinos are great for out in Glamis. We rolled one all weekend through the dunes. Never had a problem. Don't blame the toy for operator's lack of experience or lack of judgment.

HocusPocus
10-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Don't blame the toy for operator's lack of experience or lack of judgment.
Amen! its not the toys that are the problem but the loose nut behind the wheel.
:crossx:

Jyruiz
10-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Rhinos are great for out in Glamis. We rolled one all weekend through the dunes. Never had a problem. Don't blame the toy for operator's lack of experience or lack of judgment.
Well said, this should go for PWC's as well.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-30-2006, 09:02 AM
Was it BoatCop who once said long ago:
-"Ya Can't Legislate Common Sense".

Ziggy
10-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Fads are fads, soon enough legislative regulations will kill the current rage of the Rhino's......as they are beginning by not allowing more passengers than the design originally was built for..... 2
Jruiz hit it right on with Dune Lice but I like to say Sand Fleas.....you have a mix of responsible riders with "jackasses"........
The bad apples will ruin it for the good oranges ;) :D

Jyruiz
10-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Fads are fads, soon enough legislative regulations will kill the current rage of the Rhino's......as they are beginning by not allowing more passengers than the design originally was built for..... 2
Jruiz hit it right on with Dune Lice but I like to say Sand Fleas.....you have a mix of responsible riders with "jackasses"........
That does seem to fit better.

bohica
10-30-2006, 09:49 AM
I saw a lot of a-holes out on them as well. Your right on with your comparison to a Jet Ski. Some people have no clue when driving them and suffer from a bad case of tunnel vision. I had a few close calls with some rhinos and quads on the flats.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Believe it or not, the Effective Sand Groups I hang with that have some juice with the BLM are trying to hold back some rules.
A rule becomes a benchmark starting point that can sprout and grow and start restricting all kinds of other activities. It can become a cancer that spreads to the brain.
Ya can't legislate common sense.
A drivers license is a good start.
Other BLM rules are in effect relating to the back seat, reasonable seat belts.
The helmet idea is being kicked around.
Little Sahara Sand dunes requires the flag mounted on front, no kid drivers, and one hell of a roll cage, judged by the LEOS descretion.
Sadly, no kids under 12 on any quad reguardless of the size of the quad.
A good example how one rule will bleed over effecting something non-related.
Once the rule Metastisizes,, ya can't stop it. It's a cancer.
Look, ya have to have hub caps on your cars wheels now because it's illegal to go around with your nuts showing.
http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/photographs450/sahara1.jpg
Little Sahara Sand Dunes.

BoatFloating
10-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Believe it or not, the Effective Sand Groups I hang with that have some juice with the BLM are trying to hold back some rules.
A rule becomes a benchmark starting point that can sprout and grow and start restricting all kinds of other activities. It can become a cancer that spreads to the brain.
Ya can't legislate common sense.
A drivers license is a good start.
Other BLM rules are in effect relating to the back seat, reasonable seat belts.
The helmet idea is being kicked around.
Little Sahara Sand dunes requires the flag mounted on front, no kid drivers, and one hell of a roll cage, judged by the LEOS descretion.
Sadly, no kids under 12 on any quad reguardless of the size of the quad.
A good example how one rule will bleed over effecting something non-related.
Once the rule Mastasizes,, ya can't stop it. It's a cancer.
Look, ya have to have hub caps on your cars wheels now because it's illegal to go around with your nuts showing.
http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/photographs450/sahara1.jpg
Little Sahara Sand Dunes.
Bingo.......
Don't matter the cost of the equipment.... Dumb asses have now spending limit....

squirt'nmyload
10-30-2006, 10:25 AM
those things are 100k and most likely the person driving has a fair amount of duning experience to spend that kind of money.
lol.......good one

OGShocker
10-30-2006, 11:13 AM
I saw a lot of a-holes out on them as well. Your right on with your comparison to a Jet Ski. Some people have no clue when driving them and suffer from a bad case of tunnel vision. I had a few close calls with some rhinos and quads on the flats.
Don't you sponsor a Rhino Race Team? :idea:

bohica
10-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Don't you sponsor a Rhino Race Team? :idea:
I've seen the race rhino with the Bohica name, but that's not me. I bought Tobteks rhino, took it out in the dunes and decided it's not the right toy for the dunes for me. I'll keep it as a camp crusier, but for the dunes, I much prefer my buggy. They're way underpowered for my driving style and definitely not a toy for a newbie. I'm not saying they shouldn't be out there, but experience in picking a good line, knowing the power limitations and reading the dunes correctly will make for a much safer and fun time. Pick a bad line and they will bite you in the ass.

Outnumbered
10-30-2006, 12:58 PM
... and quads are kinda like Rhinos, unless your a girl or 60 years old then you probably shouldnt be on one...
LMAO!

havaduner
10-30-2006, 02:10 PM
I've seen the race rhino with the Bohica name, but that's not me. I bought Tobteks rhino, took it out in the dunes and decided it's not the right toy for the dunes for me. I'll keep it as a camp crusier, but for the dunes, I much prefer my buggy. They're way underpowered for my driving style and definitely not a toy for a newbie. I'm not saying they shouldn't be out there, but experience in picking a good line, knowing the power limitations and reading the dunes correctly will make for a much safer and fun time. Pick a bad line and they will bite you in the ass.
I disagree with this 100%. Back in the day, you needed to know how to pick a line to get through the dunes. Now just about every quad will go up any hill at glamis, with speed it ( and a hell of a lot faster than a quad from 10 years back)
And IMO, way to many people have purchased high HP long travel cars, not knowing anything about how to travel through the dunes. Too many inexperienced operators is not a good thing.

dicudmore
10-30-2006, 02:33 PM
You should have come to Havasu...weather was perfect and it was a ghost town all weekend...

squirt'nmyload
10-30-2006, 02:39 PM
[/B]
And IMO, way to many people have purchased high HP long travel cars, not knowing anything about how to travel through the dunes. Too many inexperienced operators is not a good thing.
yes!!!! and they don't give a fock about anyone else either... my worst year ever was last year after seeing my life flash in front of me way too many times....i will NEVER go back out there ANY holiday weekend to ride. actually i'm not going at all this year because of it. not saying i'm the best rider out there but i pay attention to EVERYTHING that is going on around me.

djunkie
10-30-2006, 02:40 PM
yes!!!! and they don't give a fock about anyone else either... my worst year ever was last year after seeing my life flash in front of me way too many times....i will NEVER go back out there ANY holiday weekend to ride. actually i'm not going at all this year because of it. not saying i'm the best rider out there but i pay attention to EVERYTHING that is going on around me.
I haven't been out since 1998 cause of the same thing. Having a hard time talking myself back into the sand.

bohica
10-30-2006, 02:42 PM
[/B]
I disagree with this 100%. Back in the day, you needed to know how to pick a line to get through the dunes. Now just about every quad will go up any hill at glamis, with speed it ( and a hell of a lot faster than a quad from 10 years back)
You've got to be kidding me. What are you disagreeing with?
1) Experience in picking a good line
2) Knowing the power limitiations
3) Reading the dunes correctly
Read it again, I'm saying all three will make for a much safer and fun time. Your comments about inexperienced duners buying LT cars have nothing to do with what I posted.
In my experience, driving a rhino thru the dunes can be compared to the vehicles back in the day. You weren't going to blast up any dune out there or power thru a witches eye in an old 1600 standard travel car and your definitely won't be doing it in a Rhino.

catman-do
10-31-2006, 07:59 AM
I never said ALL rail drivers are experienced, but MOST of them are. I equated them to quads and jetskis because they dont require a ton of money to purchase like a rail or boat. They dont require a ton of money to maintaine and operate like a rail or boat, and they require no experience unlike a rail or boat. Ever see someone drive a boat that has no experience, its apparent immediately. Same thing with a rail, someone that cant drive it will be apparaent immediately. Jet ski is small and just give it gas and you can have fun. Rhino is small, easy to see around, and has no shifting... just give it gas and go. Almost makes it too easy for these morons to come gunning me down. Just like any "generalization" it does not include ALL owners, just most! :)
BTW happy Halloween!! :skull:

Trailer Park Casanova
10-31-2006, 08:41 AM
Utah is usually requiring one way traffic on most it's sand dunes.
This has made a huge difference on collisions.
A little of an annoyance at first, but like Parker, lanes and directions work wonders for safety.
They can do it because they have the manpower to enforce it in their relatively small areas.
Off weekends are the norm for us at the dunes.
Just like the river,, we don't do holidays, or on Tday, the kids never leave camp.

Froggystyle
10-31-2006, 08:46 AM
I never said ALL rail drivers are experienced, but MOST of them are. I equated them to quads and jetskis because they dont require a ton of money to purchase like a rail or boat. They dont require a ton of money to maintaine and operate like a rail or boat, and they require no experience unlike a rail or boat.
This is a poor generalization. EVERY 660 Rhino owner could have two 1600 rails for the same price. There are mulitiple great rails for sale at FiberTech here in El Cajon for under $5,000... some with a trailer. All will handily outperform a Rhino in the sand. By the time I am done with my Rhino, I could have easily gotten a used LT car. I have seen many, many mid-travel rails for under $15,000.
This is no more a barrier to entry than anything else though. Most new Jet-skis cost a lot more than a good used boat. I traded my first sit-down ski (GP1200) straight across for a big block powered jet boat and got some cash too.
I see what you are saying, but it has nothing to do with finances. It has everything to do with the turn-key, no effort mentality pervasive in both genres. 10 year financing, 0% interest, aggressive sales tactics and inventory on the floor all compound to make the barriers to entry non-existant, and at the end of the day it is new, shiny and warrantied.
I have a blast on my Rhino (which hardly resembles it's original form now) and can't wait to spend more time on it this winter.

riverroyal
10-31-2006, 04:17 PM
you 12k for it :rollside: