PDA

View Full Version : Dana Hinges...anybody else have problems with them?

DILLIGAF
10-30-2006, 12:13 PM
When I got them on the new boat a few people told me that they seem to spring leaks all the time. Well it is happening to me and I am getting sick of this shit. I looked into adding braided lines for all the connections but it really costs a lot more than I want to spend on it. The last three times I have been out the friggin' hoses leaked :(. Twice one came off and now the left side is leaking. That tubing they use seems to be pretty lightweight considering it is a hydrolic type set up. The fluid going all over the engine is not fun at all :(
Anybody else have problems with leaking with their Dana Hinges or is it just me having some bad luck?

Jyruiz
10-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Sucks to hear, hope it gets resolved.

ChumpChange
10-30-2006, 12:34 PM
You're talking the Dana scissors right? No problem with mine. Almost three years now.

Dribble
10-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Wanted to put them on my boat but the guy who rigged it said that unless I went with all steel braided lines, I would have nothing but problems.

Dana Marine Products
10-30-2006, 01:05 PM
There's a few questions to go over to figure out why they're leaking. It's not a common problem. Is it leaking at the fittings? Is the hose bursting? Is the hose ejecting from the nut and farrel? The hose is a 2500 lb burst rated line. The line is not the problem. The Power Hinge system doesn't operate at half of that pressure. Once I have some specific information we can figure out why this is happening. The pump is set up to put out X amount of pressure, if a bypass valve is stuck in the pump, when the cylinder bottoms out in either direction, it can put out an excess of pressure. That can cause the hose to fail. Give me a call 951-279-5005, Bob, we'll get you going in the right direction.

Dana Marine Products
10-30-2006, 01:09 PM
As far as the braided lines being a requirement, not at all. Unfortunately some installers make installation mistakes, or use the product on hatches that are too heavy. Just like anything else, care must be taken during installation to assure no future problems will arise. When the product is used and installed correctly, they're great. Pump failures are extremely uncommon, but that is pretty much the only thing that can cause failures.

Dana Marine Products
10-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Sounds good, I'll be here till 6pm.

Cat & Mice
10-30-2006, 01:19 PM
As far as the braided lines being a requirement, not at all. Unfortunately some installers make installation mistakes, or use the product on hatches that are too heavy. Just like anything else, care must be taken during installation to assure no future problems will arise. When the product is used and installed correctly, they're great. Pump failures are extremely uncommon, but that is pretty much the only thing that can cause failures.
Nice to see a manufacture step up and try and help. I was considering going with setup and when I read your post I thought I may reconsider. With a manufacture willing to step up I would go with them in a heart beat. I would rather buy from people who care and do the right thing to help. These custom parts get thrown into so many configurations it makes it really hard to biuld a product that will never fail. The question is will they step up.
Good luck working out the problems.
MP

gmocnik
10-30-2006, 01:23 PM
have to give the nod to dana on customer service also...had issues with some hydraulic trim tab cylinders a few years back...dana (owner), helped me everytime and did not let it go until he figured out the issue....

BADBLOWN572
10-30-2006, 01:41 PM
I have installed probably over 100 pairs of the hinges. Not one have we ever had a problem with (unless installation error). If installed properly, you will not have a problem and will last you a LONG time. :) :)

slink
10-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Tom, never had a problem w/mine. If you don't know, DANA's new shop is on Railroad, not to far from SW. They have a large parking lot you could easily manuever your rig in there. Might want to swing it by and have them tell you exactly what the fix is then take it to SW. Just a thought

shockwavebd
10-30-2006, 02:09 PM
I have been there and it is a nice facility. I will drop the boat off at SW and get the hell out of their way :)
Wise choice..........the gettin outta the way part that is.............. :cool:

HMF'er
10-30-2006, 03:52 PM
I had minor leaks on both sides when they were new, but SW and DMP took care of the problem with no hassle. Good luck.

Dan Lorenze
10-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Nice to see a manufacture step up and try and help. I would rather buy from people who care and do the right thing to help. These custom parts get thrown into so many configurations it makes it really hard to biuld a product that will never fail. The question is will they step up.
Good luck working out the problems.
MP
I agree... Kudos to Bob at Dana Marine..

INSman
10-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Had the hinges on my last 23' Dana and of course on the 29' Shockwave and no problems ever. Sounds like a part somewhere needs to be replaced and it is nice to see DMP address the issue immediately. :cool:

shadow
10-30-2006, 04:27 PM
5 seasons with mine & no problems.Although the powdercoat could use alittle love.

Havasu Carrera
10-30-2006, 04:49 PM
I have them on my 257 (rigged by bad blown come to find out)
They work awesome! One of the coolest things on my boat!
I would not have a boat without them.
NO leaks
NO problems
Just push the button and whammmo!!
Gotta be carefull not to hyperextend them (keep pushing the button after full up or down) (I am anywhays)
By the way I open the hatch for the speakers, for getting fumes out, etc etc all the time! Probibly 15 times a day!!

Ziggy
10-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Its one of the best options I decided to buy for my boat........I have observed numerous people fighting with their screw jacks and decided to go with the Dana's.
No hinges on the rear of the deck to snag nads or tailbones, fast open/close...best thing I ever got.

Havasu Carrera
10-30-2006, 04:51 PM
I have them on my 257 (rigged by bad blown come to find out)
They work awesome! One of the coolest things on my boat!
I would not have a boat without them.
NO leaks
NO problems
Just push the button and whammmo!!
Gotta be carefull not to hyperextend them (keep pushing the button after full up or down) (I am anywhays)
By the way I open the hatch for the speakers, for getting fumes out, etc etc all the time! Probibly 15 times a day!!
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/Carrera 06-15-06 (6).th.jpg (http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=Carrera 06-15-06 (6).jpg)

phebus
10-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Between SW and Dana, you're in good hands. Too bad you had a problem, but at least you know it will be corrected.

Huckleberry
10-31-2006, 01:35 AM
DMP,
A quick question for ya. What is the maximum weight for a hatch to use your hinges? The jacks on my 33 Daytona are painully slow.

Dana Marine Products
10-31-2006, 07:15 AM
The hinges with the stock plastic lines and stock pump pressure settings are good up to 125 lbs. They are capable of lifting much more, but you have to keep in mind the leverage point of where they're lifting. Lifting a 125 lb hatch from the rear 12" of a hatch that is 48" long is actually equivilant to lifting over 300 lbs. The shorter the hatch, the easier it is to lift. You can step up to the full braided line set where we also set the pump pressure higher making the lifting capacity 155 lbs. We are in the process of developing a monster version of these hinges for larger twin engine applications.

Huckleberry
10-31-2006, 07:37 AM
Guess I'll wait until the monsters come out. Will you be sure to post it here for us???

Dana Marine Products
10-31-2006, 09:12 AM
I'll keep you posted, of course it will have to be in the over crowded spam section. I've tried communicating with ***boat about creating a new marine products section for paying advertisers. Offshore Only does it, HB should too. There's always alot of new cool stuff out there and it's a damn shame to be stuck in the spam section. By the time you finish posting something, you're already bumped three pages back.

Robbie Racer
10-31-2006, 01:23 PM
I have had the Dana hinges on my Carrera for 5 years and over 400 hours with zero leaks or other problems. I love how fast they open the hatch. :rollside: Good luck getting to the bottom of the problem.

DILLIGAF
11-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Just an update...Bob at Dana bench tested the pump and it came back good. Might possibly be a leak in some of the tubing so it is getting all redone by Shockwave. Thanks for helping out Bob.
Rick at Shockwave is getting me taken care of and the boat is done and ready for pickup.
I love it when a plan comes together :)
Just to say it again...I was not looking to slam Dana and was just trying to see if others were having the same problem. Bob came on and attacked the problem along with Shockwave and it should now be a thing of the past.
That is what I call excellant service from both Dana and Shockwave.

Havasu1986
11-04-2006, 03:59 PM
In the boating industry you rarely find anyone to stand by there products...Good job and Dana and SW... I wonder if Rex Marine would do this :idea: Don't give me a vacation Rexone :boxed:

Jbb
11-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I had those on my Edge jet......when I first installed them the plastic hoses blew off and made a mess a few times....I installed some t shaped tiny stainless fittings we use at work on plastic air hose .......never blew another hose.....Im sure I still have some laying around ....pm your address and I can send you some to try....problem solved.... :p
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860IMG01294175646A.jpg

Kachina26
11-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the offer JBB. I didn't see your post earlier but they got me all squared away.
I also was looking to bump this thread to thank Dana and Shockwave again :)
If you want to keep this thread at the top, you gotta add some drama to it. Ya know like Bob called you a dirty drug dealing low life for starting a thread about his product. :D Seriously though, it's cool to see a quick resolution to your problem. I'll go get my dose of drama on the treadspectresunktheboat thread. :rolleyes: