PDA

View Full Version : Just leave the kids alone...

Liberator TJ1984
10-31-2006, 08:20 AM
JERSEYVILLE, Illinois (AP) -- A teenager carrying a Bible and shouting "I want Jesus" was shot twice with a police stun gun and later died at a St. Louis hospital, authorities said.
In a statement obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press, police in Jerseyville, about 40 miles north of St. Louis, said 17-year-old Roger Holyfield would not acknowledge officers who approached him and he continued yelling, "I want Jesus."
Police tried to calm the teen, but Holyfield became combative, according to the statement. Officers fired the stun gun at him after he ignored their warnings, then fired again when he continued struggling, police said.
Holyfield was flown to St. Louis' Cardinal Glennon Hospital after the confrontation Saturday; he died there Sunday, police said.
I hope the cops get hung from their nutz for this one :mad:
Like he was really hurting anything :rolleyes: :yuk:

ratso
10-31-2006, 08:25 AM
JERSEYVILLE, Illinois (AP) -- A teenager carrying a Bible and shouting "I want Jesus" was shot twice with a police stun gun and later died at a St. Louis hospital, authorities said.
In a statement obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press, police in Jerseyville, about 40 miles north of St. Louis, said 17-year-old Roger Holyfield would not acknowledge officers who approached him and he continued yelling, "I want Jesus."
Police tried to calm the teen, but Holyfield became combative, according to the statement. Officers fired the stun gun at him after he ignored their warnings, then fired again when he continued struggling, police said.
Holyfield was flown to St. Louis' Cardinal Glennon Hospital after the confrontation Saturday; he died there Sunday, police said.
Yeah, sounds like kid was messed up, and it's hard to blame the cops for doing that to subdue him, and although we weren't there to witness it, they could have over reacted to the situation... who knows? I'm sure the entire story will be spread nationwide very soon, and there will be opinions from both sides of this...

roostwear
10-31-2006, 08:32 AM
Well, he's got Jesus now.....

Ultracrazy
10-31-2006, 08:34 AM
Nice knee jerk reaction..............without being there, how can you make a snap judgment? Tasers are saving WAY more lifes than they are taking.

RitcheyRch
10-31-2006, 08:35 AM
He might be in the other place.

Mrs.Killer
10-31-2006, 08:50 AM
He became combative???? Cops did nothing wrong.......

wsuwrhr
10-31-2006, 08:52 AM
He hopes.

Howie Feltersnatch
10-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Dammit!! You beat me to it!

ratso
10-31-2006, 08:53 AM
I still say most of the problems nowdays stem from the parents... kids taking guns to schools and killing, probably due a lot to "Just leave the kids alone"... Things are just way out of control!

Biglue
10-31-2006, 08:55 AM
Officers.....plural. Could they not have subdued him by just outnumbering him? Fokd situation though.
Like it was mentioned those things are saving more lives than taking.

Ziggy
10-31-2006, 09:02 AM
So he was yelling............. and that requires cops to approach him???? I've seen plenty of people walking down the street yelling, sometimes at the trees, sometimes at the invisible person next to them, sometimes at the person next to them..........
There's scores of people yelling the same thing he was every Sunday..

Trailer Park Casanova
10-31-2006, 09:03 AM
When the cops tell me to do something, I comply.
If I don't like it, then I tell the judge.
The kid didn't comply, so now he can tell the judge why.
The cops are OK. Probably followed proceedure with an unruly person that refused to comply.
Yelling Jesus isn't a free password to disturb the peace.

NOTALENT
10-31-2006, 09:08 AM
Best to wait to hear details rather than pointing fingers. No matter if there were two or not maybe they could have tackled him down or used another method. What if the kid had split personalities???
2 years ago on Halloween my buddys other side came out. He stopped taking his medication..Long story short we h ad to try and subdue him. We had 8 guys on top of him and he literally just through us off of him like he was the incredible hulk. I had to choke him out and he snapped out of it. Crazy

77Woodbridge
10-31-2006, 09:10 AM
More information is definitely needed before forming an opion. I will say that the way that it is written makes it sound bad for the police. Who knows what wasn't written. Could be that this kid had a history with the police, was 6'5, 280lbs and foaming at the mouth.
Definitely need more info before choosing sides. IMHO

Ultracrazy
10-31-2006, 09:10 AM
So he was yelling............. and that requires cops to approach him???? I've seen plenty of people walking down the street yelling, sometimes at the trees, sometimes at the invisible person next to them, sometimes at the person next to them..........
There are some many variables that the paper does not share.........it goes way beyond just someone "yelling". What was he yelling? Who was around? Kids? What time of day? Was he creating danger for himself or others? Etc.........
Damn people.........it's easy to sit here and make judgments on others when you just read a VERY small part of the story.

Mrs.Killer
10-31-2006, 09:11 AM
How do you know what to expect of someone who is yelling at trees, invisible person, or at themself. It sounds like a mental issue. Have you ever delt with someone like that? I know i wouldn't want to......

NOTALENT
10-31-2006, 09:14 AM
I will say that the way that it is written makes it sound bad for the police.
Media once again trying to make a story... :rolleyes:

Mrs.Killer
10-31-2006, 09:18 AM
Best to wait to hear details rather than pointing fingers. No matter if there were two or not maybe they could have tackled him down or used another method. What if the kid had split personalities???
2 years ago on Halloween my buddys other side came out. He stopped taking his medication..Long story short we h ad to try and subdue him. We had 8 guys on top of him and he literally just through us off of him like he was the incredible hulk. I had to choke him out and he snapped out of it. Crazy
Well said....

Jyruiz
10-31-2006, 09:20 AM
Media once again trying to make a story... :rolleyes:
That is exactly what I am thinking, for all we know, he could have had a concealed weapon and they are not telling us because then that would justify the means and nobody would get the shock value out of there story.

NOTALENT
10-31-2006, 09:20 AM
How do you know what to expect of someone who is yelling at trees, invisible person, or at themself. It sounds like a mental issue. Have you ever delt with someone like that? I know i wouldn't want to......
Its not fun. Scary as hell....and I knew the guy...if it was someone I didnt know...I dont know what I would do...

Liberator TJ1984
10-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Exactly ! , you never see Cop's tazing the crazy people on the corner yelling at you when you drive by , or tazing the jerks trying to sell me newspapers at a redlight by jumping in front of my truck while the other one is trying to shove the paper at me , or the panhandlers trying to bum money pulling the same trick... :yuk:
The Kid had a Bible in his hands !!! not a knife or a AK !!
And yea , I don't know the whole story , but i've heard enough

DSW
10-31-2006, 04:28 PM
What happened to people getting beat with the cops baton??? Why all the tazers now?

NOTALENT
10-31-2006, 05:01 PM
What happened to people getting beat with the cops baton??? Why all the tazers now?
Tasers dont leave marks like batons.... :crossx:

MudPumper
10-31-2006, 05:24 PM
And yea , I don't know the whole story , but i've heard enough
Ignorance at it's finest!!

Ultracrazy
11-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Ignorance at it's finest!!
No shit.........that is your typical response of a people who sit at home and want.........no.....demand.....to be protected yet don't want to do it themselves.

Sleek-Jet
11-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Just be careful what you wish for... :idea:

KreatinKaos
11-01-2006, 11:04 PM
I wish my local cops would use a taser on the jesus freaks that go door to door in my neighborhood :crossx:

Kilrtoy
11-01-2006, 11:33 PM
POOR INNOCENT KIDS :rolleyes:
Police from two St. Louis-area departments used Tasers on teens this week following the case of a 17-year-old who died after Jerseyville officers shot him twice with the gun.
In the other cases — one in Fairview Heights and another in St. Charles — both teens were treated for minor injuries, police said.
Meanwhile, at the request of Jerseyville police Chief Brad Blackorby, Illinois State Police began an investigation Wednesday into the weekend Taser shooting of Roger Holyfield.
State police will turn their findings over to prosecutors to determine whether charges should be filed against any of the Jerseyville officers, Master Sgt. Sue Culp said. Advertisement
Holyfield had been yelling, "I want Jesus," in the 600 block of South State Street on Saturday night when police approached him. The former Jersey Community High School student was carrying a Bible and a cordless house phone. After a struggle broke out, police shot the teen twice with a Taser. Holyfield died the next night.
In the other two cases this week, police said the Tasers prevented situations from getting worse.
In St. Charles, a high school resource officer used a Taser to subdue a 14-year-old special education student Monday afternoon after the student overturned desks, threw chairs and assaulted two students and the principal, police said.
The St. Charles High School student, who is 6-foot-1 and weighs 220 pounds, struck students with a broomstick and kicked the principal five times, police said. The police officer used the Taser after several failed attempts to calm the student. While he was on the ground, the officer used the stun gun function on the Taser.
A school nurse treated the boy at the scene. The students and principal suffered minor injuries, police said. The boy had a recent history of behavioral problems at the school, police said. The teen has been suspended from school. The case is under investigation.
The boy's mother told police she had taken him off some off his medication because she felt he was overmedicated. RELATED LINK
Taser danger?
St. Charles Police Capt. Gerry Pollard said Tasers had been used to subdue St. Charles students two other times since the weapons were issued to officers three years ago. No one was injured in those incidents.
Also on Monday, police used a Taser gun to subdue a teen after an argument in a Fairview Heights home.
Police were told the 16-year-old had a handgun that he pulled on his mother's boyfriend when he tried to intervene in a heated discussion between the teen and mother over a school matter, said Lt. Ron Burckhardt of the Fairview Heights Police Department. The weapon was actually a BB gun.
When police arrived on the domestic-dispute call, the mother and her boyfriend were outside, and the teen and his two younger sisters were inside. About an hour and a half later, one of the sisters left the house. A moment later, the girl's brother ran out a back door. Police gave chase and yelled repeatedly for the teen to stop, Burckhardt said.
An officer eventually got close enough to use a Taser on the teen. He received medical attention at the scene but was not hospitalized, police said.
Charges of domestic battery, aggravated assault and resisting an officer are pending, Burckhardt said.
Taser critics have called for police to stop using the weapons until more is known about them.
Supporters, though, say Tasers are the safest way to protect both the suspects and the officers charged with keeping the peace.
A preliminary autopsy showed that Holyfield died from a condition called excited delirium, a highly active mental state in which a person is no longer able to control himself. The medical examiner didn't see signs of trauma or foul play.
Visitation for Holyfield will be 4 to 8 p.m. today at Alexander & Gubser Funeral Home, 108 North Liberty Street, Jerseyville. The funeral is at 10 a.m. Friday.

voodoomedman
11-02-2006, 06:29 AM
Taser critics have called for police to stop using the weapons until more is known about them.
Yeah they should just use their guns instead.

ratso
11-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Yeah they should just use their guns instead.
Agreed... People need to get out of this "poor little kid" mentality. They should start a TV show that has cameras in the classroom just so some of these people can see how their precious teens behave... :yuk:

Ultracrazy
11-02-2006, 03:04 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1394minigunbig.gif
No disrespect UC but it'll be a cold day in h*ll before I'll ever expect, or call someone to protect me. I also expect no BS when I call for someone to come p/u the garbage.
Rio
Understood.........I'll cross your address, and name, off the list. Good luck with your trash.