PDA

View Full Version : Which Dirt bike helmet to buy?

Itsahobby
11-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Gonna start riding again and need some new gear. Anyone have any recommendations on Helmets? I like doing all day rides, so I would be looking at something that is vented well. I haven't road in 15 years so the last helmet that was the Shiz was the Bell Moto III :)
Thanks for any input.
Jerry

Chadman!
11-01-2006, 03:09 PM
I would look at the Troy Lee Designs helmets. They have good ventilation and some cool styles. Plan on spending about $350 to $400 though. Good luck.

djunkie
11-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Gonna start riding again and need some new gear. Anyone have any recommendations on Helmets? I like doing all day rides, so I would be looking at something that is vented well. I haven't road in 15 years so the last helmet that was the Shiz was the Bell Moto III :)
Thanks for any input.
Jerry
Whatever you get, don't buy the cheapest, get a well known name brand, and make sure its fits perfect!!!!!!!

racecar.hotshoe
11-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Dont get this one............. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar5277_8.gif

Itsahobby
11-01-2006, 03:19 PM
I hear ya, I never scrimped on helmets and gear.
Whatever you get, don't buy the cheapest, get a well known name brand, and make sure its fits perfect!!!!!!!

Mrs.Racer277
11-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Arai or Shoei

Caribbean Jet
11-01-2006, 03:51 PM
The first time I bought a helmet on my own, the owner of the shop asked me a question. "How much is your head worth." Arai, Shoie, Troy Lee and Thor are all good. I wear Troy Lee for the Dirt and Arai for the Street. My buddy took a pretty good dinger off of the 90 ft table at Perris while wearing a Thor. The doctor said of it weren't for his helmet it could have been a lot worse. Make sure you get one that fits and don't let your buddies wear it, they form to your head after a while.

Cole Trickle
11-01-2006, 03:56 PM
HJC
Nice helmet for a decent deal. (Usually $100.00 and under)

blown dough
11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Oneal 9 Series, run about $300.00

Mrs.Racer277
11-01-2006, 04:12 PM
HJC
Nice helmet for a decent deal. (Usually $100.00 and under)
Aren't those plastic??? Not sure I would trust my head with that.

Throttle
11-01-2006, 04:15 PM
I would look at the Troy Lee Designs helmets. They have good ventilation and some cool styles. Plan on spending about $350 to $400 though. Good luck.
hey stranger, whats been goin on?

Itsahobby
11-01-2006, 04:16 PM
How are th Fox helmets? I maybe able to get a really good deal.

Throttle
11-01-2006, 04:17 PM
I just bought a fox (i think it is the v3), about 400 bucks. Its nice but I am new to riding and dont have anything to compare it to.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
I have always worn Fox helmets and the contents of my head are still in tact. :rollside:

Mrs.Racer277
How are th Fox helmets? I maybe able to get a really good deal.
Go with their top of line fiber glass and kevlar

blown dough
11-01-2006, 04:20 PM
I have a Fox and Oneal and to me my oneal helmet is more comfortable, and yes I ride.

JetBoatRich
11-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I have always worn Fox helmets and the contents of my head are still in tact. :rollside:
I bought the V3 last year, Like Dia said great helmet :cool:

thumbs
11-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Like the others have said .......buy the best helmet that you can afford.
Here is a good helmet at a great price.
Fox Racing
2006 V3 Helmet
$169.99
MSRP $375.00
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=17417&department=201&division=2

OGShocker
11-01-2006, 04:27 PM
I like my SixSixOne.
http://www.sixsixone.com/media/store/style/6123-00_2.jpg

EmpirE231
11-01-2006, 04:31 PM
I currently have the troy lee ryno replica... awesome helmet! fits awesome and is made of all the good stuff (kevlar) and super light and ventilated... + they look the best... I think they are around 350-450 or so??
and I also will stand behind the shoei helmets... took a major spill with one of these down the backside of a steep dune (came up short on a step up) .. fell down the landing a good 15-20 ft.... shatered my humurous (upper arm) banged up and scratched up everywhere... helmet held up!! not even a headcahe :)

NashvilleBound
11-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I have a brand new Bieffe small. Closable vents across the brow, the top each side and in front. DOT approved. Model number GR 1400 6 7/8 USA. Looks very sleek like a street application...... If anyone is interested I will take a picture.....

Nordic35Flame
11-01-2006, 04:48 PM
The new Fly Racing helmets are great. My friend Jerry who designed Troy Lee's Helmet now designs for Fly. Their helmets are Light, Comfortable, Well Vented and priced very well.

SoCalHD
11-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Arai
Without a doubt, Arai. Have them for both street and dirt. Knocked down on the 91 at 60mph with an arai on, my head was the only thing NOT banged up.....

CA Stu
11-01-2006, 05:01 PM
HJC makes a good helmet at a great price.
I went to go riding in Utah (1000 miles in 3 days), forgot my Arai XD at home, and bought an HJC at the motorcycle shop in St. George Utah before rising to Moab to camp and ride and then ride back to St. George.
I couldn't believe how well the HJC fit and vented for $89 when I spent about 4 times that much for my Arai!
Go HJC, you won't regret it.
Thanks
CA Stu

AZJD
11-01-2006, 05:02 PM
ARAI ARAI ARAI ARAI ARAI....................best fit, most visibilty!

AZJD
11-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Also remember all these Fox, Oneal, Thor, ect... helmets are private labeled out to other companies! This makes them more affordable but less protective! If you want a helmet that will keep you from getting a concussion or worse, go with a reliable helmet company.

phebus
11-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Go old school..........
http://www.profootballhof.com/images/upload/items/large/00208_3317.jpg

Havasu1986
11-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Rick...You still have your high school football helmet :crossx:

Boa1277
11-01-2006, 05:21 PM
EVS is coming out with a new helmet, they sponsor my kid and sent me one to try, it is a nice helmet looks like it is put together the way it should be. I have always worn Shoei but I think I would buy one of these EVS helmets.

Cheap Thrills
11-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Old School.
Bell Moto 3 (http://www.genuineaccessories.com/Vintage/VMot3Pro.htm) :D
C.T. :wink:

Tom Slick
11-01-2006, 05:39 PM
I guess it all depends on how much your head is worth. If you've got a $99 head, get the $99 helmet. I for one would stay away from helmets not manufactured by a big name Japanese company like Shoei or Arai. Bell makes great auto racing helmets, but there moto helmets leave a little to be desired. The Shoei and Arai are the top of the line as far as protection, fit, finish and quality. Don't be a cheap skate when it comes to your melon and by a top of the line brain bucket.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-01-2006, 06:24 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/PigPenKLX300/7superx_spitfire.jpg

CJ Skier
11-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Fox helmets are nice but they tend to run on the small size. So do the Troy Lee Designs. The most important thing is to try it on and make sure it fits properly. It should be snug but comfortable.
Good luck
CJ

RUSHIN ROULETTE
11-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Shoei, Arai or Bell....

cc322
11-01-2006, 06:58 PM
I will third the HJC great helmet at a great price.

ZBODaytona
11-02-2006, 07:25 AM
the shoei and arai are great. I have worn the HJC for a long time with no complaints..and have been down a few times, no problems with melon. I wear the HJC on the street and dirt. my roomate is a mechanic for yamaha and he likes the shoei but says all three are good. he prefers the shoei and arai to the hjc but says nothing is wrong with any of them and they all do protect. Like someone said before make sure the rating is up on all them, and then find the one with the fit you like the best....

Dan Lorenze
11-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Arai and Shoei are the "Outerlimits and Skaters" of helmets.. You pay more and get more.. I love my Arai VX-Pro... Fit is key..

Caribbean Jet
11-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Old School.
Bell Moto 3 (http://www.genuineaccessories.com/Vintage/VMot3Pro.htm) :D
C.T. :wink:
I had one of those, they were cool :)

catman-do
11-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Go try them on and see which one is the most comfortable. Ive had HJC, TLD, ONE, and Fox. As of right now im using the ONE industries.
HJC - "head just cracked", these helmets are a POS, I took a digger on a 20 foot table a few years back and split the helmet. They are cheap plastic and you might as well put a soft sided cooler over your dome.
Troy Lee- I liked the helmet alot, however the only thing I didnt like was the way they mount the mouth piece. Its too close to your mouth and when I would breath early in the morning it would end up sending my stanky hot breath up into the goggles and fogging them up.
One Industries- protectiveness is about the same as the TLD and was about the same price (415), but the mouth piece is further out and more comfy, however the chin strap is short and sometimes is kinda hard to get the helmet off my big ass head.
Fox- I didnt think the helmet was comfy, so i would end up not wearing it if I was just putting around (which could be disasterous if something does end up happening).
Look for a glassed helmet. Plastic breaks to easy and doesnt have alot of protection, and then the carbon fiber ones are so stiff that when you get impacted it doesnt absorb enough energy. The glassed helmets will crack sending the energy through the helmet instead of directly to your head like a acrbon fiber one. You may have to buy helmets more frequently, but atleast your not brain dead.

wright27
11-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Everyone on here is going to have there opinion on what is the best. I like 661 myself. Whatever you do, do not go cheap. With helmets you really do get what you pay for, and with riding the chances of landing on your head are very very possible. Most important is quality, comfort and then style (graphics and such). Good luck.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Also remember all these Fox, Oneal, Thor, ect... helmets are private labeled out to other companies! This makes them more affordable but less protective! If you want a helmet that will keep you from getting a concussion or worse, go with a reliable helmet company.
Snell rated are the best.
Many lines offer a Snell rated helmet.
Read this link before you choose:
http://www.smf.org/testing.html

Itsahobby
11-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Looks like I will be getting a Shoei. The Arai's are nice but I got a better fit with the Shoei. Now I need socks, pants, boots, jersey, goggles, gloves and body armor :cry: $$$
Oh yea, anti-fog, chain lube and a big bottle of Advil :rolleyes:
Thanks for everyones input.
Jerry

Itsahobby
11-02-2006, 12:57 PM
That's cool but I ain't that good. LOL
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/PigPenKLX300/7superx_spitfire.jpg

AZJD
11-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Looks like I will be getting a Shoei. The Arai's are nice but I got a better fit with the Shoei. Now I need socks, pants, boots, jersey, goggles, gloves and body armor :cry: $$$
Jerry
Don't forget supplimental insurance for the time spent recovering from injury........... :rollside:

Chadman!
11-02-2006, 01:02 PM
hey stranger, whats been goin on?
Not much man! Just workin away. How have you been? Did you work the last show?

Mrs.Racer277
11-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Don't forget supplimental insurance for the time spent recovering from injury........... :rollside:
LOL
Aflac :)

Mrs.Racer277
11-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Jerry
Have a great time riding. Just before X-mas you will find some great sales on gear. I think you will be very happy with the helmet. :)

socalmofo
11-02-2006, 01:42 PM
I had a fox helmet about 4-5 years ago and crashed pretty hard. Well that's what I am assuming happened as I don't remeber anything.
I ended up with a major concussion.
The fox helmet I had is cracked very badly on the top of the head and also on the side. Not a scuff, but a LARGE CRACK! Also, The Front part that protects your chin, mouth, lower face broke and is only held together by the outer layers of the helmets decals/fiberglass. I can move the front to either side 2-4 inches.
you can look at it either way. Either it did it's job and took all the damage or it busted and so did my head!

Dusty Times
11-02-2006, 02:04 PM
I made a coment years ago about safety gear going up in price. An old timer that I always thought of the biggest tight ass told me this....
WHAT IS YOUR HEAD WORTH?
I've always remembered this statement

Trailer Park Casanova
11-02-2006, 02:09 PM
I made a coment years ago about safety gear going up in price. An old timer that I always thought of the biggest tight ass told me this....
WHAT IS YOUR HEAD WORTH?
Well said.
Ya can't fall and not hit your mellon.

Itsahobby
11-02-2006, 02:51 PM
I hear ya. I rode for years and never scrimpt. Matter of fact, I think I will get my son a new helmet, also.
When I first started riding my buddy that was teaching me, would remind me always wear your gear, even if you're just making short run. We were at an Enduro and he had won a hat, jumped on his bike to go pick it up, no gear. On the way back he decides to do a bit of show boating and gets off!! Slices his foot wide open on a cotter key. He was wearing tennis shoes :rolleyes:
I didn't have to say a word and "HE" always put on his gear after that.
WHAT IS YOUR HEAD WORTH?

Trailer Park Casanova
11-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Also, the impact dispersion shirts and pants are the BFD now too.
Far more comfortable than the washboards chest protectors.

Itsahobby
11-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Are you talking about the Alpinstars?
Also, the impact dispersion shirts and pants are the BFD now too.
Far more comfortable than the washboards chest protectors.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Are you talking about the Alpinstars?
Their are several makers out there.
Much more comfortable than the big lexan chest protector.
The pros use them, seeing more and more of them.
Gotta have it when ya stuff it.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/tpc123/HalloweenDumont06027.jpg

Itsahobby
11-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Well, pulled the trigger:
Shoei Helmet
Moose over the boot pants
Alpinstar Tech 6 boots
Scott works goggles with roll offs(cause I'm a follower :cry: )
Moose body armor( on order, all they had was orange)
Moose jersey
fox gloves
knee guards, forgot the brand but they have the perf foan.
Socks
Jerry

hoolign
11-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for any input.
Jerry
Just buy one that looks better and costs more than anyone elses ..and it's sure to be great!