PDA

View Full Version : They Got The F*%K

BoatFloating
11-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Who started the fire and killed the 5 brave firefighters. Great job from the Riverside County Sheriff Dept.
RIVERSIDE, Calif. - Authorities on Thursday filed murder and arson charges carrying the death penalty against a man suspected of setting a Southern California wildfire last week that killed five firefighters.
The suspect, Raymond Lee Oyler, 36, was already under arrest on suspicion of setting two other wildfires over the summer. Officials were investigating whether he was involved with more than three dozen fires since May.
Last week's blaze was the deadliest for firefighters since July 1994, when 14 were killed near Glenwood Springs, Colo., according to the National Interagency Fire Center.
District Attorney-elect Rod Pacheco said the evidence against Oyler was "overwhelming." Prosecutors charged him with five counts of murder, 11 counts of arson and 10 counts of use of an incendiary device. The charges include seven fires in June, one in July, one in September and two in October.
Oyler, an auto mechanic with tattoos on his neck and forearms, appeared in court in handcuffs and a jail jumpsuit as his attorney denied all charges.
Oyler "adamantly denies involvement in this fire and in any of these fires," attorney Mark McDonald said outside court. "He's very distraught and scared ... The finger is pointing at him."
Oyler, who said nothing during the brief hearing, was held without bail.
Authorities were checking whether Oyler was involved with a total of at least 40 fires in the area since May, according to an official involved in the investigation who spoke on condition of anonymity because the case is continuing.
Investigators were also looking at a 1998 fire in which the pilot of a firefighting aircraft died in a crash. That blaze burned more than 24,000 acres in the San Jacinto Mountains and had a burn pattern similar to last week's fire, the official said.
Authorities did not immediately disclose a motive and would not say what led them to Oyler.
Oyler will also face two so-called special circumstances, one alleging murders committed during arson and another alleging multiple murders.
The charges are punishable by life in prison without parole or the death penalty. Prosecutors will decide in the next 60 days which sentence to seek.
"The feelings of the surviving family members of the victims will be consulted and be given great weight by our office in what is always a difficult decision," Pacheco said.
A woman who answered the phone at the home of Oyler's mother said she had no comment.
The fire was stoked by Santa Ana winds as it swept southwest through the San Jacinto Mountains about 90 miles east of Los Angeles. The flames overran the fire crew, destroyed 34 homes and charred more than 60 square miles before being contained Monday.
Three firefighters died at the scene, and a fourth died soon after at a hospital. A fifth was taken off life support and died this week.
Investigators interviewed Oyler on Oct. 27, served a search warrant on his residence Monday, then arrested him Tuesday.
"This arrest really does help with some of the closure, the healing that we in the Forest Service community, and in the families, need," said Jeanne Wade Evans, the San Bernardino National Forest supervisor.
California court records show Oyler was convicted in September 2001 of possession of a controlled substance and pleaded guilty to taking a vehicle without the owner's consent in 1995.
In Joplin, Mo., police and court records show Oyler had mostly minor run-ins with the law from 1997 through 1999. The most severe was a 1999 misdemeanor charge of violating a protection order by entering his wife's apartment while she was out. The couple divorced in 2001.

squirt'nmyload
11-02-2006, 06:04 PM
with tattoos on his neck and forearms. wtf does this have to do with anything .......... glad they got there guy..i say they set him on fire if he's guilty......

wsuwrhr
11-02-2006, 06:04 PM
I hope the POS gets the death penalty AND the sentence is carried out.
I love the idea of a deterent for the next POS to try something like this in the future.
I moved into my house in San Bernardino the same day as the last big fire we had in '03 I think. That fire was also set intentionally. Burned our whole mountain range and caused so much damage.
It is a tragic that people lost their lives doing their job due to someone's malicious intent.
Brian

BoatFloating
11-02-2006, 06:09 PM
wtf does this have to do with anything .......... glad they got there guy..i say they set him on fire if he's guilty......
Just the liberal media stereotyping...

squirt'nmyload
11-02-2006, 06:54 PM
yep

RitcheyRch
11-02-2006, 06:56 PM
Typical

GHT
11-02-2006, 07:15 PM
wtf does this have to do with anything .......... glad they got there guy..i say they set him on fire if he's guilty......
Hope the evidence is good and this is the real guy. And I believe he has to be the one because someone with tatoos all over has to be a bad person... :rolleyes:

slink
11-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Hope the evidence is good and this is the real guy. And I believe he has to be the one because someone with tatoos all over has to be a bad person... :rolleyes:
I was in the courtroom right next to his arraignment today. What a media circus. The hallway was full of press. His defense attorney got hammered the minute he walked into the hall. I spoke to some of my DA friends. There is pretty much a gag order around the office, but reading between the lines it sounds like they are sure it's the right guy.

Kilrtoy
11-02-2006, 07:29 PM
I was in the courtroom right next to his arraignment today. What a media circus. The hallway was full of press. His defense attorney got hammered the minute he walked into the hall. I spoke to some of my DA friends. There is pretty much a gag order around the office, but reading between the lines it sounds like they are sure it's the right guy.
And Marsha clark thought they had the right guy
THANK GOD THIS IS IN RIVERSIDE

GHT
11-02-2006, 07:29 PM
I sure hope so..... Wish they could "burn" him to death. But then again THAT would be inhumane... :rolleyes:

slink
11-02-2006, 07:31 PM
And Marsha clark thought they had the right guy
THANK GOD THIS IS IN RIVERSIDE
She did....................

Kilrtoy
11-02-2006, 07:34 PM
She did....................
We all know that , but the fine CITIZENS from SOUTH LA did not think so

slink
11-02-2006, 07:36 PM
That was pay back for Rotney :cool:

Throttle
11-02-2006, 07:41 PM
should he go to all the funerals? one each day for the next 5 dayz!

slink
11-02-2006, 07:43 PM
should he go to all the funerals? one each day for the next 5 dayz!
I doubt he would make it away from the 1st one............................alive

bigq
11-02-2006, 08:50 PM
So if he is the right guy and set all these fires from May, why is he walking around to start more..? how much evidence could they have. BTW nice parade of all the to be re-elected government officials today, i think they named them all. :rolleyes:

RiverToysJas
11-04-2006, 07:22 AM
I'm wondering if they had been watching him, waiting for him to set another before they nabbed him on a bulletproof case. That would be sad for the 5 who died so this guy could get a stiffer sentance.
RTJas

ratso
11-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Can we just try him here in Texas??? :idea:

Ultrafied
11-04-2006, 09:13 AM
with tattoos on his neck and forearms.
Walk like a duck ...

THATJEFFGUY
11-04-2006, 10:03 AM
I think it's kinda strange how they said he was only a "person of interest", for a few days.. then changed it to "the suspect"..even though they say they have overwhelming evidence. If they had that much evidence, why wasn't he arrested immeiatley after the fire was started..or aftere the other previous fires they say he is responsible for ? With all the media coverage and the number of deaths and homes lost, maybe they had to find someone to pin this on...quick ! I guess with all his brushes with law enforcement and criminal background, along his close proximity to the fire, he could be the perfect person to blame. If they really do have the right guy..I hope he suffers as mush as the families have !

echo
11-04-2006, 10:25 AM
What became of him?