PDA

View Full Version : Question for RHINO owners

Nautitwins2
11-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Lets just say that I wanted to buy one for use around town. In AZ they can be made street legal.
Questions.
1. Saftey. What are you adding to become more secure?
2. Theft. What can be done to deter people from stealing it? Club, kill Switch etc....
3. Tires. Do they make an All-terrain type tire?
Thanks in advance. I am looking to build something mainly for around town, with the bi-monthly off road trip.
4. The rear seat is a must, but do you guys add springs to carry heavier loads.
5. Can you launch and retrieve a boat with it. HONESTLY???? (21 Nautique)

djunkie
11-06-2006, 01:03 PM
1. Saftey. What are you adding to become more secure?
Better belts, side protection is a big plus for safety along with offset wheels to make it a little more stable in turns.
2. Theft. What can be done to deter people from stealing it? Club, kill Switch etc....
Any of those might work. I bought a Kryptonite cable lock for mine just in case. But get theft in your insurance just in case.
3. Tires. Do they make an All-terrain type tire?
Some of the guys that are racing are running a BFG All Terrain tire on there Rhinos for racing. Might fit you well.
Thanks in advance. I am looking to build something mainly for around town, with the bi-monthly off road trip.
4. The rear seat is a must, but do you guys add springs to carry heavier loads.
With kids in the back you should be fine but it may bottom out a little offroad. If you plan on taking adults in the back than I'd be carefull.
5. Can you launch and retrieve a boat with it. HONESTLY???? (21 Nautique)
Honestly? I'd say no. But others will disagree with me on this. I think its not safe personally.

Cole Trickle
11-06-2006, 01:03 PM
1.)I would add 4/5 point belts for all occupants.
I would get a new stronger cage designed to hold a rear seat.
Leg Minders
2.)Alarm,Quick dissconect wheel,store in locked garage
3.) I believe they do but you have to run a 26-27" tire.
4.) You can get aftermarket shocks that will support more weight in the rear.
5.) I would probably launch that boat as long as the ramp was nice and level.
You need to check out Froggystyles thread. You guys sound like you are looking at accomplishing the same goals. :)

sigepmock
11-06-2006, 01:06 PM
For what you're looking at doing I'd look at the Polaris Ranger, the Kawasaki Mule and the Rhino.
They all have benefits and down sides. The Mule is the slowest but a lot cheaper. The Ranger is big and the best all around vehicle stock. It can fit three people across no problem. The Rhino is the most nimble and easiest to upgrade, but the Ranger aftermarket parts are catching up fast. Best thing to do is ride in each one and decide what will work best for you.
Most are adding after market cages, and four or five point seatbelts. Front and Rear bumpers are nice and better seating all help.
There a quite a few all terrain style tires out there like the golf cart styles. Also with a 14" rim you can get a set of BFG All Terrains on a Rhino.
You can add an alarm or do a removable steering wheel.
For the rear seats be careful the added weight really affects handling. I have an aftermarket suspension that uses heavier rear springs, although before this I simply cranked up the pre-load on the stock springs.
I think a 21 Nautique would be no problem on all but the slipperiest ramps. Just watch the tounge weight.

Nautitwins2
11-06-2006, 01:08 PM
1.)I would add 4/5 point belts for all occupants.
I would get a new stronger cage designed to hold a rear seat.
Leg Minders
2.)Alarm,Quick dissconect wheel,store in locked garage
3.) I believe they do but you have to run a 26-27" tire.
4.) You can get aftermarket shocks that will support more weight in the rear.
5.) I would probably launch that boat as long as the ramp was nice and level.
You need to check out Froggystyles thread. You guys sound like you are looking at accomplishing the same goals. :)
He has a bigger check book then me. LOL.
Thanks for the responses. So it would be left in grocery store parking lots and the like, that is why I was worried about the theft part. My wife wants to be able to take the kids to school and run errands. It just seems to make more sense to drive this then a big vehicle around town.

Nautitwins2
11-06-2006, 01:11 PM
For what you're looking at doing I'd look at the Polaris Ranger, the Kawasaki Mule and the Rhino.
They all have benefits and down sides. The Mule is the slowest but a lot cheaper. The Ranger is big and the best all around vehicle stock. It can fit three people across no problem. The Rhino is the most nimble and easiest to upgrade, but the Ranger aftermarket parts are catching up fast. Best thing to do is ride in each one and decide what will work best for you.
Most are adding after market cages, and four or five point seatbelts. Front and Rear bumpers are nice and better seating all help.
There a quite a few all terrain style tires out there like the golf cart styles. Also with a 14" rim you can get a set of BFG All Terrains on a Rhino.
You can add an alarm or do a removable steering wheel.
For the rear seats be careful the added weight really affects handling. I have an aftermarket suspension that uses heavier rear springs, although before this I simply cranked up the pre-load on the stock springs.
I think a 21 Nautique would be no problem on all but the slipperiest ramps. Just watch the tounge weight.
That is what I was worried about. Hooking it on and just watching the rear suspension breaking in half does not sound like fun.

racecar.hotshoe
11-06-2006, 01:11 PM
1.Saftey. What are you adding to become more secure?
WIDER IS BETTER!

BigDoug
11-06-2006, 01:28 PM
We go to the grocery store and wall-mart all the time here in Havasu, i only hope someone doesn't steal it, i feal safe doing it though !! :)

Nautitwins2
11-06-2006, 01:31 PM
We go to the grocery store and wall-mart all the time here in Havasu, i only hope someone doesn't steal it, i feal safe doing it though !! :)
I was thinking that a kill switch would work. I also like the cable idea, to tie it up like a bike. Alarm I think would be overkill, because who really listens for them anymore.

BigDoug
11-06-2006, 01:52 PM
A hidden kill switch would be very nice and functional too, i think that is what im going to have to rig up !!.............good idea :idea:

Cole Trickle
11-06-2006, 02:01 PM
I just leave my Guard dog in the Rhino to make sure no one steals it:D :crossx:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2491bamrh.jpg
She is a mean bitch :p

Nautitwins2
11-06-2006, 02:02 PM
LMAO> Knowing my dog, he would be so happy that someone was going to take him for a ride he would like the thief to death. LOL

2Driver
11-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Are you bringing Yoda on the Nov 11th ride? :D
Nautitwins2: I am just finishing my build out on my new 07 Rhino. Highly suggest checking in with everythingoffroad.com Physical location for items and installation is in Peoria. Mine will be a neighborhood vehicle as well.

djunkie
11-06-2006, 02:10 PM
I think my guard dog can beat up your guard dog. :crossx: :crossx:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19574&stc=1

Cole Trickle
11-06-2006, 02:16 PM
I think my guard dog can beat up your guard dog. :crossx: :crossx:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19574&stc=1
We both know your mom will never let you take the dog with you because she thinks your irresponsible. :crossx: :crossx: :p

Cole Trickle
11-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Nautitwins2: I am just finishing my build out on my new 07 Rhino. Highly suggest checking in with everythingoffroad.com Physical location for items and installation is in Peoria. Mine will be a neighborhood vehicle as well.
She goes everywhere with us.:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491bamrvr.jpg
Don't be surprised when she bites you for calling her Yoda;) :crossx: she is 14lbs of pure fury!!!

djunkie
11-06-2006, 02:19 PM
We both know your mom will never let you take the dog with you because she thinks your irresponsible. :crossx: :crossx: :p
Probably. I'd rather have him along instead of these 2 rats though. :rolleyes: :crossx:
(don't tell my g/f I said that) :skull: :skull:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19575&stc=1

Cole Trickle
11-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Probably. I'd rather have him along instead of these 2 rats though. :rolleyes: :crossx:
(don't tell my g/f I said that) :skull: :skull:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19575&stc=1
Don't tell blondie that I think you have better taste in dogs than her.
If Jen had those dogs they would "accidently" get left behind at a rest stop;) :crossx:

Nautitwins2
11-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks. I will have to check them out. Right now I am just trying to get prices in my head and what is needed and not needed. Thanks again!

Froggystyle
11-06-2006, 02:33 PM
That is what I was worried about. Hooking it on and just watching the rear suspension breaking in half does not sound like fun.
Everyone has favorites, but I will tell you this... Brian at www.longtravelrhino.com has been extremely productive for me with regard to building, modifying and tricking out the Rhino so it will easily tow the boat. From suspension design, re-inforcement, bumpers and placement, clutch work and shock springs/valving he has really made it an easy deal for us.
We haven't launched the Revolution yet with it in the current state. We did it before stock and it did fine, but squatted really badly. The new suspension doesn't squat now, and it rides amazingly well considering how stiff it is.
If you tow with it, electric brakes are mandatory in my opinion. You will have a tough time backing down the ramp safely without them. Going forward, the surge brakes work fine, but who wants to get towed into the water by the boat? Not me. Convert the boat to electric brakes, put a controller in the Rhino and end the concerns.
I will have some more information about the tow capabilities here shortly. We will be doing some extensive testing with the new BFG All-Terrains that came in today. Brian can hook you up with the wheels for them too (14" Climax from Motosportalloys.com)
Best of luck. Let me know if you need anything. I will tell you to call Brian... ;)

Nautitwins2
11-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Everyone has favorites, but I will tell you this... Brian at www.longtravelrhino.com has been extremely productive for me with regard to building, modifying and tricking out the Rhino so it will easily tow the boat. From suspension design, re-inforcement, bumpers and placement, clutch work and shock springs/valving he has really made it an easy deal for us.
We haven't launched the Revolution yet with it in the current state. We did it before stock and it did fine, but squatted really badly. The new suspension doesn't squat now, and it rides amazingly well considering how stiff it is.
If you tow with it, electric brakes are mandatory in my opinion. You will have a tough time backing down the ramp safely without them. Going forward, the surge brakes work fine, but who wants to get towed into the water by the boat? Not me. Convert the boat to electric brakes, put a controller in the Rhino and end the concerns.
I will have some more information about the tow capabilities here shortly. We will be doing some extensive testing with the new BFG All-Terrains that came in today. Brian can hook you up with the wheels for them too (14" Climax from Motosportalloys.com)
Best of luck. Let me know if you need anything. I will tell you to call Brian... ;)
Thanks Wes! Do have a pic of the BFG's? And good advice on the surge brakes.

2Driver
11-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks Wes! Do have a pic of the BFG's? And good advice on the surge brakes.
Remember much of the suspension in a UTV/ATV comes from the tires. I suspect the BFG's will take all if not most of that away and give you a very hard ride. All ok if you have a $6K long travel suspension but not for the stock one.
I'l be at $14K for mine OTD with all the mods which are all comfort and saftey mods. No bling or long travel (yet)

Cole Trickle
11-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Remember much of the suspension in a UTV/ATV comes from the tires. I suspect the BFG's will take all if not most of that away and give you a very hard ride. All ok if you have a $6K long travel suspension but not for the stock one.
I'l be at $14K for mine OTD with all the mods which are all comfort and saftey mods. No bling or long travel (yet)
agreed....also any tire over 26" really starts to hurt performance.

Froggystyle
11-06-2006, 05:13 PM
I dunno... The suspension is pretty well designed on the Rhino's. It isn't like a standard ATV...
The problem is you damn near double your un-sprung weight. You will want to shock it accordingly. You can upgrade your shocks though, and then do the long travel later. It uses the same shock but different spring rate.
I will post pics with the new rims and tires in the next couple of days. The tires came in today, but the rims won't be here until Wednesday.

phebus
11-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Hey, how come that dog's head doesn't fit it's body??????

RiverRatMike
11-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Ok dogs and Rhino's
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19615&stc=1

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-06-2006, 09:11 PM
agreed....also any tire over 26" really starts to hurt performance.
Put 30's pn it:D

n8dawg
11-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks. I will have to check them out. Right now I am just trying to get prices in my head and what is needed and not needed. Thanks again!
My buddy in palm springs has one and took me for a ride recently. Man I was not at all impressed when I first saw it, but after cruzing around town and blasting through some dirt roads thoughs things kick ass! He has the 660 motor with digital dash, electronic locking diffs., and a computer chip. Stock suspension so he can load it into his truck and take it to the river. Has the tilt bed so he can carry the cooler! It cooks along pretty good. We were cruzing on a dirt/sandy road at 50mph and he was able to climb up anything!
Later

RiverRatMike
11-09-2006, 03:43 PM
My buddy in palm springs has one and took me for a ride recently. Man I was not at all impressed when I first saw it, but after cruzing around town and blasting through some dirt roads thoughs things kick ass! He has the 660 motor with digital dash, electronic locking diffs., and a computer chip. Stock suspension so he can load it into his truck and take it to the river. Has the tilt bed so he can carry the cooler! It cooks along pretty good. We were cruzing on a dirt/sandy road at 50mph and he was able to climb up anything!
Later
yup the Rhino's are some kick ass machines. With mine, I couldn't believe how well it could climb. I've climbed some very steep hills near my river house in Parker and it goes right up them without any problems. Very impressive!

Froggystyle
11-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Quick update on the BFG's... HEAVY!
The combined weight of stock rim and tire is 28# per corner. The BFG's on 14" rims are 48#, 20# heavier per corner. Unsprung weight too.
It rides MUCH nicer on the street though, and has a much bigger contact patch as well. Now you really notice the locker in the rear though. Any really tight corners will squeal the rear tires a bit.
They look totally pimp though. :D

phebus
11-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Come on Wes, you know that post is worthless without pics. Geeeeesh.

Froggystyle
11-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Come on Wes, you know that post is worthless without pics. Geeeeesh.
Here's one...
The logos, lights and winches are going on soon. Hopefully, the seats will be done early next week...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/bfgs.jpg

Nautitwins2
11-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Here's one...
The logos, lights and winches are going on soon. Hopefully, the seats will be done early next week...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/bfgs.jpg
Wes,
They look really good. Have you been hasseled driving around town? How does she handle at 50 with those tires?