PDA

View Full Version : Toy Haulers at the river?

SLOWMAN
11-07-2006, 10:22 PM
A question for those of you that leave/use your toy haulers at the river during the summer. How do they hold up in the 110+ temps in the summer? Do things like warning stickers start falling off the walls or things that are laminated together start falling apart because of the heat or do you guys keep the A/C on all the time. Thinking about leaving my WW in a RV campground in Bullhead City in the summer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Fire Angler
11-07-2006, 10:30 PM
I've had mine in Parker from april until late November for the last 4 years, no problems. If you have a big trailer or 5er, you will need a second AC.

Riomouse911
11-07-2006, 10:36 PM
I leave my travel trailer at Park Moabi all year round, so far never had an issue. Cover the tires and A/C's when you're gone, and they won't cook in the sun.

lawbreaker2
11-08-2006, 07:08 AM
This is going to be a good learning thread, I have never thought about this stuff, I'm from the midwest, and it don't get hot here. :) So how do you keep things like your cars and boats, and campers, from getting to hot.

SLOWMAN
11-08-2006, 07:18 AM
I've had mine in Parker from april until late November for the last 4 years, no problems. If you have a big trailer or 5er, you will need a second AC.
Do you keep your A/C on when you are gone to keep the inside of the trailer at a temp of around 85 to 90? Or do you just turn everything off and leave?

91nordic29
11-08-2006, 07:28 AM
This is going to be a good learning thread, I have never thought about this stuff, I'm from the midwest, and it don't get hot here. :) So how do you keep things like your cars and boats, and campers, from getting to hot.
park in the shade whenever possible. not much else we can do.
it is kinda funny sometimes. there could be one little bush/tree far out in the parking lot and it is always the first space taken.
we all spend some time thinking about where the afternoon shade will be when parking next to buildings, etc.. :cool:

gmocnik
11-08-2006, 07:31 AM
we leave our trailer for 6 months every year. no real issues. tried leaving the ac set at 90 when gone this year. that bumped the elec bill up about $50. keeping tires covered is mandatory...we also fill the sinks with water to add some humidity...we always shut the main water supply off when gone..
when the trailer was new, after leaving it all closed up for a week, the first time you open the door the fumes from all the glues and crap they use to put it together would almost knock you out...that went away in a few weeks...

Havasu Luvr
11-08-2006, 07:38 AM
I keep mine at Havasu RV Resort during the past 2 summers. Yes, you will need 2 A/C's. The only appliance I leave on while I'm away is the refer. I would also seal the drain plugs and add water to the sinks/toilets and tub to hydrate the inside to keep the noleum (sp?), wood and wallpaper from peeling or curling (drying out the glue) It also helps the grey/black tanks from burpping up into the coach as the heat/gases expand. Cover your tires and do NOT leave your sides out, this will expose your weather stripping and premature roiting (sp?) will occur. Try to choose a camp spot that will minumize exposer to the sun, in other words pick a site that faces east/west (tongue/ramp) this will only expose the smaller surfaces of your trailer to the sun during the tracking of the day.

catman-do
11-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Anyone with toyhaulers, travel trailers or motorhomes may be interested in checking out my dads website. www.rvskirts.com
The skirts wont help for Havasu all too much, but if you go to sandy areas such as Glamis, Pismo, or Dumont you may want to check them out. Helps kep the sand from blowing out underneath the rig and your stablizers from getting blown out.

bullseye
11-08-2006, 08:30 AM
I have a trailer in Needles ,a couple things that I have done is leave 2 vents cracked open , leave the fridge open to air out (dont trust the power company ), and leave a couple of buckets full of water in the trailer while Im not there this helps put a little bit of moisture in the air , never had any big problems on the interior , and do regular maintenance on it when there , wash it ,and lite oil on the cabinets . Good luck

HMF'er
11-08-2006, 10:13 AM
A few years back, I left my brand new Weekend Warrior at Black Meadow's storage lot. Not plugged in, just covered with a canvas cover and in the sun all day. Came back to it about 2 weeks later and the interior wall panels were bowed in, staples that held it on popped off. I would not do that again with a trailer I cared about. It may be different if it stays plugged in with the A/C running.

riverroyal
11-08-2006, 05:54 PM
A few years back, I left my brand new Weekend Warrior at Black Meadow's storage lot. Not plugged in, just covered with a canvas cover and in the sun all day. Came back to it about 2 weeks later and the interior wall panels were bowed in, staples that held it on popped off. I would not do that again with a trailer I cared about. It may be different if it stays plugged in with the A/C running.
A/C off until we get there.ALL trailers are built about the same.You wont have any issues :rollside:

riverroyal
11-08-2006, 05:56 PM
way to look at it.The sell toy haulers in phoenix,they sit all year in side yards and storage lots all over the desert.

JB in so cal
11-08-2006, 06:03 PM
they do get noisey, though!! Gawdam!!!

Riomouse911
11-08-2006, 07:29 PM
I've never used the water in the buckets trick, I'll try that next time I'm out. No A/C or fridge while we're gone, (No 'lectric hookups in the lot) but never had an issue so I haven't thought of it. I know the vent covers on the roof will get brittle after a few years in the baking sun, so invest in an extra one or two and leave them where you can bring them for repairs in case you find a broken one.. I also bring a pancake compressor and check the tires avery trip out...nuthin' worse than a flat found on the trailer at 11 PM after a Friday slog on I-40...