PDA

View Full Version : What is up with...

DSW
11-09-2006, 11:32 AM
The jobs in Havasu? It's like if your not mexican and are not willing to work for $5 per hour, your wasting their time! I had a lady tell me today while applying today that "The pay is horrible, we don't give raises, we don't offer benifits, and we need you avaliable 24 hours a day." Geez sure! Sign me up!
I mean throw a dog a bone!

chub
11-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Arizona = "Right to work" State.

Kilrtoy
11-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Dont say anything bad about Havasu and their jobs, I did and got attacked....
THEY DONT LIKE QUALIFIED PEOPLE HERE IN TOWN....

riverbound
11-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Desert people :rolleyes:
Look at the living conditions of most the "locals" and Im not talking about the ones that sold their house in Ca. at the peak of the market and now have no mortgage in Az. These people have learned to live poor and thats what employers are willing to pay.

rrrr
11-09-2006, 11:55 AM
I'll pay you $5.75 and not a penny more.

Her454
11-09-2006, 11:56 AM
When was that? I didnt read that but I agree, I HATED working there and it was very discouraging. This was in 92/93 though but it sucked.

IN2-IN2MX
11-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Mike has suggested that we move there a few times but I keep shooting down that plan :argue: . Where the heck would I work? Seriously, I'm just not willing to be a greeter at Walmart for $7 an hour. We wouldn't survive on that.

ratso
11-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Mike has suggested that we move there a few times but I keep shooting down that plan :argue: . Where the heck would I work? Seriously, I'm just not willing to be a greeter at Walmart for $7 an hour. We wouldn't survive on that.
I bet you could if they let you accept tips... :idea:

Mrs.Racer277
11-09-2006, 12:05 PM
When was that? I didnt read that but I agree, I HATED working there and it was very discouraging. This was in 92/93 though but it sucked.
It has not changed. :cry:
I went on many interviews and never made it past salary.

OutCole'd
11-09-2006, 12:07 PM
The jobs in Havasu? It's like if your not mexican and are not willing to work for $5 per hour, your wasting their time! I had a lady tell me today while applying today that "The pay is horrible, we don't give raises, we don't offer benifits, and we need you avaliable 24 hours a day." Geez sure! Sign me up!
What do you do?

IN2-IN2MX
11-09-2006, 12:08 PM
I bet you could if they let you accept tips... :idea:
LOL. :)
:) Hi, welcome to Walmart...now gimme a dollar biatch :mad: !
Oooooh, I like it. :idea:

Flyinbowtie
11-09-2006, 12:14 PM
I think it is a combination of things. The community I live in is much the same.
There is a real small-town mentality, it starts in the local politcal power structure and reaches out from there.
There is a fear of change, even if it can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the change will be good for everybody. Change represents a loss of power to the locals, so whether it is good or bad is irrelevant.
There is a defined clique of "home boys". They get the contracts, the public works jobs, and any form of employment that moves people into what most of us define as middle class. Local businesses are paying exactly what it takes to get a warm body to do a job, nothing more, nothing less. As long as people show up for the job, and the applicant pool doesn't dry up completely, nothing is going to change.
It takes about 25 years to get a membership card in the home boy local.
We have talked of moving there as well, but my other half needs to work for at least five more years and she cannot even come close to making what she is here down in Havasu.
She isn't getting rich, but we have membership in the club here. I have don't have the patience or motivation to go through that again, and since nobody down there can impact my income, I would probably become a giant pain in the ass to the local power-brokers. Speaking your mind and pointing it out when, "the Emperor has no clothes", can sometimes help you make sergeant, but it will kill you when the Lieutenant promotion comes along. It's a managment thing, ya know.
I made it to # 1 on the Lt. list 3 times.
I retired as a Sergeant. :boxed:

djunkie
11-09-2006, 12:17 PM
You got attacked cause your Mexican and was crying racism. :crossx: :crossx:

Kilrtoy
11-09-2006, 12:19 PM
It has not changed. :cry:
I went on many interviews and never made it past salary.
Glad to see you had the same problem Yvonne did and still does...
(I am really not glad, I was making a joke)
Seriously it sucks when you know what your doing and you are worth the pay and the job. I guess that is why you guys have not made the move.

Kilrtoy
11-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Last year at this time, when the wife was looking for a job and there was four openings and could not even get an interview

Kilrtoy
11-09-2006, 12:21 PM
You got attacked cause your Mexican and was crying racism. :crossx: :crossx:
I am not a MEXICAN
I am NORWEGIAN

AZKC
11-09-2006, 12:23 PM
I'll pay you $5.75 and not a penny more.
$6.75 now thanks to Prop 202 :)

DSW
11-09-2006, 12:31 PM
What do you do?
I do Boat and Jet Ski rentals here during the year and do whatever there is to do during the winter. I've done auto-body work, fiberglass work, and all kinds of other stuff before moving down here..

Mr. Crusader 83
11-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I will tell you its not easy in havasu.
My ex and I lived there for 1 1/2 years. She never found a job, we ended up moving back to San Diego so we could live. She would go on interviews and get sh*t like
" OH!!! Your from California" No call back
" How long are you planning on staying in Lake Havasu?"
This is the best one. After we moved back to california, we were out there boating and I was triing to pull into the gas station but couldnt fit, I would have blocked the street, i had the boat. There was 2 people talking at a car that was done pumping gas. Nozzle already put back on pump. I waited 3-5 mins while they were talking and finally I tapped the horn. the guy that owned the car walked over to my truck in the middle of the road and said if you dont like how we move, go back to california, and spit on my window. I then removed myself from the truck to inform him that Lake havasu would not be what it is today if it wasnt for the money that comes from California. He didnt like that very much. Needless to say me and Lake havasu's finest had a chat over a warrning ticket.
I still love the place though. and im sure going to miss it living here in florida now.
But good luck with your job search. I know a landscaper and my uncle sells trusses. if that helps.

DSW
11-09-2006, 12:33 PM
$6.75 now thanks to Prop 202 :)
Not til Jan. 1st
I might end up going to Vegas for the winter time. Since my Business is seasonal, I have had to work during the wintertime. From November til end of Feb. It just gets really depressing somtimes here. 2 years ago when we moved here it seemed like Havasu was a thriving growing town. Now it seems like it will be a ghost town in a few years. It just seems like you can never make enough here or in California....

superdave013
11-09-2006, 12:43 PM
I do Boat and Jet Ski rentals here during the year and do whatever there is to do during the winter. I've done auto-body work, fiberglass work, and all kinds of other stuff before moving down here..
so pretty much you are unskilled labor then. That makes it hard to comand a good wage these days.

SHOTKALLIN
11-09-2006, 12:46 PM
How do you expect her to pay for her Big house, DCB, Rhino, and Motorhome???

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
11-09-2006, 08:28 PM
I am not a MEXICAN
I am NORWEGIAN
LMAO sure you are

phebus
11-09-2006, 08:40 PM
I am not a MEXICAN
I am NORWEGIAN
Do you mean Norwegican? :rollside:

slowinhavasu
11-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Arizona = "Right to work" State.
Define that...it has very little to do with wages...look it up...
Were just a backwards little town....I guess we have only done well, because I'm only half Mexican. I did deliver pizzas for a while, but were still here....
My wife does pretty good too, and she is German or something like that.... :cool:

Todd969
11-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Were just a backwards little town....I guess we have only done well, because I'm only half Mexican. I did deliver pizzas for a while, but were still here....
My wife does pretty good too, and she is German or something like that.... :cool:
Well, that explains a few things :p
Struddel :D

phebus
11-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Could be that you have a skill, and work hard?

Daytona100
11-09-2006, 08:51 PM
F- Havasu. I think im moving to Reno. Awesome scenery lots of lakes. Tahoe Lahoten etc. Deep clear water no long drive different atmosphere and you can get a real job there.

YeLLowBoaT
11-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Thats acatully the main reason why I won't move to AZ...I was shocked at what the pay scale is( called the local union down there...)...Even if you added up the cost of living in CA vs AZ you were still behind.

MudPumper
11-09-2006, 08:53 PM
You probably have too many teeth. I'm sure that's the problem. LOL

slowinhavasu
11-09-2006, 08:56 PM
You probably have too many teeth. I'm sure that's the problem. LOL
Easy now, that's Kingman..... :p