PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Turkey on a Weber

Her454
11-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Heading to Pismo the weekend before Turkey Day and I always cook my Turkeys in the Barrel but don't want to haul it down there this year so Im going to do in on the weber. I've seen it done before but can't remember how they did it. Anyone ever cook one like that and how do you do it?

Lightning
11-09-2006, 12:52 PM
indirect heat, with a drip pan in between the coals.... Put coal on edges of weber and turkey in the middle. We cooked a 12lb pork shoulder, it took 2 hours that way.

RiverDave
11-09-2006, 12:54 PM
indirect heat, with a drip pan in between the coals.... Put coal on edges of weber and turkey in the middle. We cooked a 12lb pork shoulder, it took 2 hours that way.
Pork Shoulder (aka pork butt) should take alot longer then 2 hours? Even if you foil it to speed up the cook time it's going to take 5 - 6 hours. I think it's an 1.5 hours per pound at BBQ temps?
RD

clownpuncher
11-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Correct-a-mundo. 'Cept a larger turkey will take longer than 2 hours. A good brine session (12 hours) doesn't hurt either. Keep the coals going by adding a couple here and there throughout the process. Keep the dang lid on, no unneccesary peek-a-booing. Take a meat thermometer and pull the turkey off the grill at 165-170 degrees. Let it sit for about fifteen minutes before cutting into it.
Good luck.
ROC

clownpuncher
11-09-2006, 01:00 PM
One more thing. Don't forget about the vents, top and bottom. Oh, it usually takes me about a 12 pack to BBQ a nice bird :p

lucky
11-09-2006, 01:01 PM
just get drunk and buuuuuuuurrrrrnn it - then go to safeway :buy some steaks

Her454
11-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Correct-a-mundo. 'Cept a larger turkey will take longer than 2 hours. A good brine session (12 hours) doesn't hurt either. Keep the coals going by adding a couple here and there throughout the process. Keep the dang lid on, no unneccesary peek-a-booing. Take a meat thermometer and pull the turkey off the grill at 165-170 degrees. Let it sit for about fifteen minutes before cutting into it.
Good luck.
ROC
Thanks, I was planning on a 15lb Turkey......... and just letting it go all day while were out riding...... or until its done so I dont do what Lucky suggested LOL.
just get drunk and buuuuuuuurrrrrnn it - then go to safeway :buy some steaks
DONT even say that out loud............................ :cry:

AZKC
11-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Need to get ahold of that Moofer RiverCook Dave, I'm sure he'd know :)

Her454
11-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Need to get ahold of that Moofer RiverCook Dave, I'm sure he'd know :)
I dont think his talent stretch's outside the realm of the river. :rollside:

Biglue
11-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Stoneman on the forums is an excellent grillman. Perhaps he would have some tips for you H454. He's not a bad cook either and makes one hell of a margarita. :rollside:

Desert Rat
11-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I cover the Turkey with foil in a foil pan. I start with about 30-40 coals on each side (I have a Weber add on that holds the coals to the side), I put about 2-3 full cubes of butter in with it, salt and pepper and baste about every 1/2 hour. Add coals to keep the heat even. Each 1/2 hour after basting I place the top vent 180 out from where it was so the hot air will flow over both ends of the turkey. At about 160 degrees I uncover and add a few soaked hickory cips to the coils to finish it up. Haven't had any complaints! :D Enjoy

Debbolas
11-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks, I was planning on a 15lb Turkey......... and just letting it go all day while were out riding...... or until its done so I dont do what Lucky suggested LOL.
DONT even say that out loud............................ :cry:
:D Where are you getting your turkey from? :rollside:

Her454
11-09-2006, 02:21 PM
:D Where are you getting your turkey from? :rollside:
I dunno, why?

Debbolas
11-09-2006, 02:23 PM
I know a guy, who knows a guy that can get good turkeys ;)

Her454
11-09-2006, 02:25 PM
I know a guy, who knows a guy that can get good turkeys ;)
Oh shit LOL, I always forget that you know a guy, that knows a guy...that can get good Turkeys ! :rollside:

Her454
11-09-2006, 02:27 PM
I cover the Turkey with foil in a foil pan. I start with about 30-40 coals on each side (I have a Weber add on that holds the coals to the side), I put about 2-3 full cubes of butter in with it, salt and pepper and baste about every 1/2 hour. Add coals to keep the heat even. Each 1/2 hour after basting I place the top vent 180 out from where it was so the hot air will flow over both ends of the turkey. At about 160 degrees I uncover and add a few soaked hickory cips to the coils to finish it up. Haven't had any complaints! :D Enjoy
Im getting hungry for Turkey already............... Thanks!

edog_103
11-09-2006, 02:44 PM
The Weber is the best way to cook a Turkey IMO. I usually start with about 10-15 coals per side. Add 5 or 6 per side once an hour. the 12 pack theory is your best plan of attack. If you like add some some smoke chips the last hour. Cook it until it is 175 deg. in the brest.

robsformula
11-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey T, hows it going with the ticket situation? Also for the turkey indircted heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per pound. I have done it in the past and they are great that way, I have always taken our turkeys and put a mixture of butter and chicken broth a little paprika and garlic salt then covered the bird in cheese cloth and made sure that all of the cloth is soaking wet with broth and spices. Place on grill (with all coals on outside edges with drip pan in the center). cover wing tips and leg ends with foil so they dont burn. After bird starts releasing juices mix with spice mixture and baist often, about every 30 to 45 min or as needed. The important thing is not to let the cheese cloth dry out and burn. When bird is close to being finished remove cheese cloth and continue baking until a golden brown. Also you might need to cut open at the thigh of the bird while it is cooking so it cooks evenly.....Good luck, they taste great this way just takes a little more time...

Her454
11-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Hey T, hows it going with the ticket situation? Also for the turkey indircted heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per pound. I have done it in the past and they are great that way, I have always taken our turkeys and put a mixture of butter and chicken broth a little paprika and garlic salt then covered the bird in cheese cloth and made sure that all of the cloth is soaking wet with broth and spices. Place on grill (with all coals on outside edges with drip pan in the center). cover wing tips and leg ends with foil so they dont burn. After bird starts releasing juices mix with spice mixture and baist often, about every 30 to 45 min or as needed. The important thing is not to let the cheese cloth dry out and burn. When bird is close to being finished remove cheese cloth and continue baking until a golden brown. Also you might need to cut open at the thigh of the bird while it is cooking so it cooks evenly.....Good luck, they taste great this way just takes a little more time...'
Thanks for all the great tips everyone! Rob - working on the ticket situation... I'll let ya know the outcome :)

robsformula
11-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Traci, I hope everthing works out for you on that. Good luck......

Desert Rat
11-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Also for the turkey indircted heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per pound. ..
1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound ??:2purples: = 22-30 hours for a 15lb turkey in a weber will end up as Turkey Jerkey :cry: A 15 lb turkey should be DONE in 2 hours

Phat Matt
11-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Im getting hungry for Turkey already............... Thanks!
Hmmmmmm. Maybe I'll get a turkey leg this weekend. :)

Ziggy
11-09-2006, 05:19 PM
AS the question is stated seems to me she needs to start with placing large amounts of coals in the Weber first and light them.............
Everyone is assumming that was already done, kinda like everyone assummed the plane had wheels :p :p :p :p

charlyox
11-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Try throwing a few chunks of hickory on the coals for flavoring.

squirt'nmyload
11-09-2006, 05:32 PM
. and just letting it go all day while were out riding:
riding all day at pismo????? i saw the whole place in 30 minutes!!!!! http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/biggrin2.gif i loved it up there though, i hope to make it back soon
i'm thinking i might deep fry one this year......yum!!

Her454
11-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Hmmmmmm. Maybe I'll get a turkey leg this weekend. :)
ROTFLMAO! Damn I wish I still had that pic! Have fun!
AS the question is stated seems to me she needs to start with placing large amounts of coals in the Weber first and light them.............
Everyone is assumming that was already done, kinda like everyone assummed the plane had wheels :p :p :p :p
Um........the coals don't light themselves? :crossx: :rolleyes: :rollside:

Mr. C
11-10-2006, 09:17 AM
I find adding a little broth to the turkey pan will give you a nice start for some gravy, let the drippings cool and remove the light layer (which you will probably get) of fat from the top. you can add some flour and seasoning for texture and taste.

34MagicOnHavasu
11-10-2006, 09:27 AM
just cooked a 15 pound turkey in my weber a couple weeks ago. indirect heat, drip pan half full of water, keep the grill at 325 degrees by adding a dozen coals to each side of the grill each hour, and adjust vents top and bottom to control temp. un-stuffed took 3 hours 45 minutes, and tasted great! oh yeah, inject the bird with some cajun seasoning too!

CBadDad
11-10-2006, 09:32 AM
A 15 lbs turkey is perfect.
Get a large foil pan and layer the bottom with celery and carrots, it help prevent burning the bird. Put seasoned bird on it and cover with foil.
You'll need a ten pound bag of charcoal. Get about 8lbs white hot and then add the other two. Put the rack down and then the bird down on it and cover with lid. Be sure the vents are "cracked" open so the coals don't suffocate and go out.
Return after two hours, open the foil a little bit and throw some wood chips down. I prefer Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel chips that can be found at most specialty BBQ stores or online. Give it another 15 to 30 minutes and it should be ready to go.

HCS
11-10-2006, 10:02 AM
This is how you do it Traci.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/637IMG_0228.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/637IMG_0229.jpg

a catered life
11-10-2006, 11:29 AM
dont have much experience with bbqing a turkey but i have seen DR's set and his process and his turkeys come out looking great. :p

HCS
11-10-2006, 12:35 PM
I am hungry as a bigfoot chasing a donkey (whatever the **** that means) and that looks outstanding
It was delicious. :D
BBQ'd to perfection.