PDA

View Full Version : RV help

riverbound
11-11-2006, 03:58 PM
We are going to be getting rid of the Rig we currently have (40' Alfa toyhouse and Freightliner FL60) and going into a diesel pusher.
Question is...we knew about the truck and trailer, adn which manufactures were the best in what we are looking for, but when it comes to coaches.... there are so many different makes and we have no idea which one is better.
Here is what we looked at and really liked these 2
Newmar Mountain Aire
http://www.newmarrvs.com/images/newmar.jpg
and the Travel supreme select
http://www.hrvc.com/images/TravelSupremeSelect/exterior_1000_adj.jpg
Both are 42' both have the 400hp cummins/Allison combo. They are pretty similar in options and layouts. but is one better quality than the other? Should we also look at something else? I read some bad things about the monaco so we sayed away from them.

slowinhavasu
11-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Prevost...or nothing.... :cool:

riverbound
11-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Prevost...or nothing.... :cool:
want to stay less than 350k....prevost are a lot more than that ;) already looked at them.

wsuwrhr
11-11-2006, 04:09 PM
A buddy of mine has an FL60 he converted to a toter.
Bad ass.
When I grow up into a baller, that is what I will have.

MONEYFURNOTHIN
11-11-2006, 04:16 PM
True ballers go with featherlite

riverbound
11-11-2006, 04:16 PM
A buddy of mine has an FL60 he converted to a toter.
Bad ass.
When I grow up into a baller, that is what I will have.
Looked at those, and the toter really doesnt fill what we are looking to do. Currently I am the only one who actually puts anything in the back of toyhauler, every other time it is used it is empty. so the decision has been made to increase our living area and if need be, we will purchase an enclosed trailer for the toys.

boatnam2
11-11-2006, 04:24 PM
either one would be a tough way to roll.i will ask my buddy he runs a golf course motorhome resort where you own your space.i think out of 500 motorhomes he should be able to come up with some info.he was telling me about one of the memebers that just bought one for 1.8 million lot of scratch for a rolling room.

riverbound
11-11-2006, 04:37 PM
either one would be a tough way to roll.i will ask my buddy he runs a golf course motorhome resort where you own your space.i think out of 500 motorhomes he should be able to come up with some info.he was telling me about one of the memebers that just bought one for 1.8 million lot of scratch for a rolling room.
Yah, some of them were out of control. I was blown away how many 6-700K rigs there were. The prevost were amazing, but wayyyy too much for what we were looking for.

JustMVG
11-11-2006, 04:52 PM
RB try this http://www.rv.net/ i have had the best experience as good as hot boat when asking a question and getting opinions, there are many folks who have purchased whatever model and can give you the ups downs and fuggits.
Try it you'll like it.
Mikey

IDRPSTF
11-11-2006, 05:06 PM
You've got mail

riverbound
11-11-2006, 05:12 PM
You've got mail
responded...here is what we got.
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19765&stc=1

racecar.hotshoe
11-11-2006, 05:51 PM
http://www.featherlitecoaches.com/plat_1.jpg
http://www.featherlitecoaches.com/plat_2.jpg
http://www.featherlitecoaches.com/plat_3.jpg
http://www.featherlitecoaches.com/plat_4.jpg

riverbound
11-11-2006, 06:03 PM
http://www.featherlitecoaches.com/plat_2.jpg
http://www.featherlitecoaches.com/plat_3.jpg
http://www.featherlitecoaches.com/plat_4.jpg
Looks nice...but way too mid 70's pimp for us :)

racecar.hotshoe
11-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Looks nice...but way too mid 70's pimp for us :)
The chicks wont care. :p

Angry Inch
11-11-2006, 06:17 PM
We're getting a Country Coach on the 10th of Dec. Very stoked.

ULTRA28
11-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Love my Country Coach. Take one for a test drive and you'll be sold.

Angry Inch
11-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Love my Country Coach. Take one for a test drive and you'll be sold.
No doubt! Can't wait to take delivery!!!! There are some '06s floating around for a REALLY GOOD DEAL. 100k off '07.

riverbound
11-11-2006, 07:10 PM
No doubt! Can't wait to take delivery!!!! There are some '06s floating around for a REALLY GOOD DEAL. 100k off '07.
The newmar is an 06 and they are knocking off 100k. so its kinda hard to pass up that....360k msrp getting it fo 260k. I think in that range there isnt really mouch thatcould touch it.

Roaddogg 4040
11-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Riverbound. You might want to take a look at mine. 42' Monaco Dynasty Quad Slide 2004 w/400 Cummins and tag axel. Excellent shape. It's here in LHC if you want to talk... OOPS, I thought that you lived here...
Steve

riverbound
11-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Riverbound. You might want to take a look at mine. 42' Monaco Dynasty Quad Slide 2004 w/400 Cummins and tag axel. Excellent shape. It's here in LHC if you want to talk... OOPS, I thought that you lived here...
Steve
we looked at the monacos today also. we kept going back to the Newmar. mainly just owndeirng if anyone has heard anyhting bad about them. Looks like we are leanign towards the newmar. it is an '06 so they are willing to deal, already knocked close to $100k off the price.

JetBoatRich
11-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Terrible problem to need help with :rolleyes:

riverbound
11-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Terrible problem to need help with :rolleyes:
I dont recall ever saying it was a problem.... I was just hoping that since quite a few people on here have RV's they might be able to give some feedback. :rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
11-11-2006, 08:48 PM
I dont recall ever saying it was a problem.... I was just hoping that since quite a few people on here have RV's they might be able to give some feedback. :rolleyes:
You asked for help, my bad :cool:
I bought a 37' Pusher earlier in the year :cool: great move we made :cool: pulls the boat or other toys no problem :cool:

JustMVG
11-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Heck why not hit Traveland right at the 5 - 405 y

Magic34
11-11-2006, 10:59 PM
I was going to say Country Coach.

MBlaster
11-12-2006, 01:32 AM
Can't go wrong with Newmar, CC, Travel Supreme, Foretravel, Beaver, Fleetwoods American line.
It really all boils down to chassis and engine. Most guys swear by independent front suspension. I believe Newmar has that. Drive them all and see what you like best.
Good thing you are buying a 06 or earlier as all 07 diesels are built to ULSD specs and engines will cost on average 10K more.
I'm looking at used dp's myself. But my budget is <80K :cry:

NdaWind
11-12-2006, 07:45 AM
My buddy has the 05 Newmar 42' with cummins 400 and has had very few breakin problems. He loves the coach. 2 best exras he likes is the basement flat screen TV and the dual stage jake brake. We have the same jake brake and it really makes driving (stopping) a breeze.
If your using this for Glamis try not to go to fancy inside or you will be cleaning after every trip.

riverbound
11-12-2006, 07:50 AM
My buddy has the 05 Newmar 42' with cummins 400 and has had very few breakin problems. He loves the coach. 2 best exras he likes is the basement flat screen TV and the dual stage jake brake. We have the same jake brake and it really makes driving (stopping) a breeze.
If your using this for Glamis try not to go to fancy inside or you will be cleaning after every trip.
it will see some glamis use and ocotillo use. I'm pretty anal about it, so it will be cleaned after every trip regardless.
it does have the outside entertainment with the flat screen and the 2 stage jake brake. went through the options list last night and it has every option available already on it.

Huckleberry
11-12-2006, 07:55 AM
A friend of mine is the motorhome Service Manager at mike Thompson RV in Fountain valley. He keeps telling me COUNTRY COACH!!! He sees them all come in and what their problems are. Country Coach is by far the best built for the price.

riverbound
11-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Can't go wrong with Newmar, CC, Travel Supreme, Foretravel, Beaver, Fleetwoods American line.
It really all boils down to chassis and engine. Most guys swear by independent front suspension. I believe Newmar has that. Drive them all and see what you like best.
Good thing you are buying a 06 or earlier as all 07 diesels are built to ULSD specs and engines will cost on average 10K more.
it does have the independent front suspension. and they are saying its one of the best riding coaches.
we'll be test driving it on Monday. driving that and the travel spreme mid engine.

riverbound
11-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Heck why not hit Traveland right at the 5 - 405 y
that's where we were. the only thng is no matter who you talk to there, they are all the best and the others are junk ;) we found what we like, so just trying to get some input to see I there are any real issues with them.

Angry Inch
11-12-2006, 12:22 PM
if you could pull an extra 19k....I know of a totaly bitchen coach for sale. :boxed:
RB...sounds like a deal...If you like it, pull the trigger. :) RVs are the shit. I've never been in a newmar, or seen one for that matter.
Did you like your Alpha? I hear good things about their RVs. They look plain; but, I hear they put the money in the materials used inside...

riverbound
11-12-2006, 01:02 PM
if you could pull an extra 19k....I know of a totaly bitchen coach for sale. :boxed:
RB...sounds like a deal...If you like it, pull the trigger. :) RVs are the shit. I've never been in a newmar, or seen one for that matter.
Did you like your Alpha? I hear good things about their RVs. They look plain; but, I hear they put the money in the materials used inside...
The Alpha was great for what it was orginally bought for. but our needs have changed and hauling a 40' and using the Freightliner, is just too much of a hassle for my parents and they have pretty much stopped using it, so we want to get something that is easier for them to use adn something they will enjoy more.

Grinnin'B
11-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Hey there,
I sold RV's (Monaco) and thin you made a good decision staying away from thier entry mid level coaches. I am waiting on road data from the AllStar ME-2 Chassis. Having grown up in everything from class C to DP's I think New Mar has a great product for the $. The real bottom line beyond Chassis, Service, and Construction is Floor Plan and your specific wants. Several of the coaches refersnced here pass muster for the first three however here are my thoughts to ensure a happy delivery!
1. If you can - Negotiate a factory tour during the final 3/4 of assembly for your coach (you would be amazed at how that 2K in travel expence will serve you long term, corrective measures are nothing compared to a manager communicating to the builders that your comming to the factory to view)
2. If you can -Negotiate reciept from the factory; 95% of the coaches are in the land of amish love, do you really want some jack charging you 2k to set the cruise and break in the motor to his specs?
3. For the 06 if its in stock make the dealer furnish the dealer finance (the bank that floats all the product on the ground) invoice. Alot of older units are accuring interest, most dealers want to get out of it and have that expense covered. Negotiate a 15% profit deal based on dealer cost not including transportation, advertising, or local market support. I have yet to identify the promotional money paid by new mar, however know that the marketing support is key to find if you can. if you can identify all the $ streams the better opportunity you have for negotiating.
4. www.rv.net is a great site, and I thinks its best use is for great service locations! in an effort to minimize laim service, (I am not familiar with the dealer you spoke of) Attempt to place a deposit load the coach completely (water, fuel, and primary RV gear you already have) and taka a shake down run (I wouldnt call it that with the dealer) prior to contracting. They will push back however dealers are much more motivated to handle details (and there are deatail fixes on all coaches) prior to signing a contract vs after.
5. You are on the web now and an RV owner....Keep using the tool(web). Different coaches are popular in different markets for many reasons, however one of the most significantly is how the coach performs for specific uses. on new coaches looking in different markets is critical. You know the deal living in socal, we pay to live and play. However looking online in different markets (specific regiones that the manufacturer sells more product, New Mar should offer that up without a problem) will offer so many pieces of information even if you still choose to buy at home.
Congrats on your coach! Given that your already a RV family I wont go into the finance department, however if you want more detailed information just PM me.
Grinnin'

riverbound
11-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Hey there,
I sold RV's (Monaco) and thin you made a good decision staying away from thier entry mid level coaches. I am waiting on road data from the AllStar ME-2 Chassis. Having grown up in everything from class C to DP's I think New Mar has a great product for the $. The real bottom line beyond Chassis, Service, and Construction is Floor Plan and your specific wants. Several of the coaches refersnced here pass muster for the first three however here are my thoughts to ensure a happy delivery!
1. If you can - Negotiate a factory tour during the final 3/4 of assembly for your coach (you would be amazed at how that 2K in travel expence will serve you long term, corrective measures are nothing compared to a manager communicating to the builders that your comming to the factory to view)
2. If you can -Negotiate reciept from the factory; 95% of the coaches are in the land of amish love, do you really want some jack charging you 2k to set the cruise and break in the motor to his specs?
3. For the 06 if its in stock make the dealer furnish the dealer finance (the bank that floats all the product on the ground) invoice. Alot of older units are accuring interest, most dealers want to get out of it and have that expense covered. Negotiate a 15% profit deal based on dealer cost not including transportation, advertising, or local market support. I have yet to identify the promotional money paid by new mar, however know that the marketing support is key to find if you can. if you can identify all the $ streams the better opportunity you have for negotiating.
4. www.rv.net is a great site, and I thinks its best use is for great service locations! in an effort to minimize laim service, (I am not familiar with the dealer you spoke of) Attempt to place a deposit load the coach completely (water, fuel, and primary RV gear you already have) and taka a shake down run (I wouldnt call it that with the dealer) prior to contracting. They will push back however dealers are much more motivated to handle details (and there are deatail fixes on all coaches) prior to signing a contract vs after.
5. You are on the web now and an RV owner....Keep using the tool(web). Different coaches are popular in different markets for many reasons, however one of the most significantly is how the coach performs for specific uses. on new coaches looking in different markets is critical. You know the deal living in socal, we pay to live and play. However looking online in different markets (specific regiones that the manufacturer sells more product, New Mar should offer that up without a problem) will offer so many pieces of information even if you still choose to buy at home.
Congrats on your coach! Given that your already a RV family I wont go into the finance department, however if you want more detailed information just PM me.
Grinnin'
thanks for the info!!!
Luckily for us we are in a position of not having to deal with the Finance dept. on this, but I know exactly whta you are talking about. We are doing the "shakedown" run tomorrow morning. and if everythign works out with the trade in of our current rig. it should be pretty close to a done deal. So far the coach meets all of our needs and th efloor plan is perfect for us. we will se ehow it handle/drives tomorrow.

JB in so cal
11-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Sweet. Orange aprons rock!!

riverbound
11-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Sweet. Orange aprons rock!!
Yup...gott love dem orange aprons :D

BajaMike
11-12-2006, 09:59 PM
We are going to be getting rid of the Rig we currently have (40' Alfa toyhouse and Freightliner FL60) and going into a diesel pusher.
Question is...we knew about the truck and trailer, adn which manufactures were the best in what we are looking for, but when it comes to coaches.... there are so many different makes and we have no idea which one is better.
Here is what we looked at and really liked these 2
Newmar Mountain Aire
http://www.newmarrvs.com/images/newmar.jpg
and the Travel supreme select
http://www.hrvc.com/images/TravelSupremeSelect/exterior_1000_adj.jpg
Both are 42' both have the 400hp cummins/Allison combo. They are pretty similar in options and layouts. but is one better quality than the other? Should we also look at something else? I read some bad things about the monaco so we sayed away from them.
My only comment is those two don't have very good windows in the front passenger compartment (where your passengers ride)......I would want more "picture" windows to enjoy the scenery...... :idea:
:rollside:
Compare those to this one....

riverbound
11-12-2006, 10:04 PM
My only comment is those two don't have very good windows in the front passenger compartment (where your passenger ride)......I would want more "picture" windows to enjoy the scenery...... :idea:
The other side does have large windows. where the couches are.

sleekcrafter
11-13-2006, 02:44 AM
My aunt and uncle, have a 2005 mountainaire, they absolutely love it. The warranty work is no hassel, even if you need to do repairs your self to get going, you get paid for your time and money. My wife and I visit the factory last spring, it's quite the outfit, owned and operated by the Omish. We stayed with them for the weekend, while their coach was in for warranty work, at the factory, in Nappanee, Indiana.

Sherpa
11-13-2006, 07:24 AM
what are you looking at for your trade in on your current rig-?
pm me if you don't want to post it here.
thanks,
--Sherpa

revndave
11-13-2006, 08:03 AM
We bought a 37ft 2004 Georgie Boy.La Mesa had it marked for 88,000.Walked out 3hrs later for 58,000.No problems with it.They told me the worst thing you can do is pay for a RV cash.I guess because they are soft??Good luck with the new rig.See ya at the desert.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-13-2006, 08:24 AM
We have a sweet ass 1994 Damon Hornet we will sell you ! LOL
Good luck with your quest. My parents have a big ol' Monaco pusher and seem to have quite a few promblems with it. But it is cushy and nice!
:)

Sleek-Jet
11-13-2006, 08:33 AM
We have a sweet ass 1994 Damon Hornet we will sell you ! LOL
Good luck with your quest. My parents have a big ol' Monaco pusher and seem to have quite a few promblems with it. But it is cushy and nice!
:)
The QC in the RV industry is horrible... it's kind of a crap shoot as to how good of luck you have. I have freinds that buy half million dollar Monaco's every 2 years and the coach spends most of the time in the shop, and people that buy 90,000 dollar Fleetwoods that don't do any more than change the oil... and visa versa as well.
I have always been a fan of Newmar products... very solidly built.
I would go for something with Aluminum/Metal sides...
That pretty much leaves Holliday Rambler in the higher end rigs, unless you go Prevost...

Grinnin'B
11-13-2006, 08:34 AM
We bought a 37ft 2004 Georgie Boy.La Mesa had it marked for 88,000.Walked out 3hrs later for 58,000.No problems with it.They told me the worst thing you can do is pay for a RV cash.I guess because they are soft??Good luck with the new rig.See ya at the desert.
Actually:
Because RV's qualify as a second residence. The dealers use that as "a clear benefit" for finance. Total BS, unless it fitw your financial plan. The most effective financial plan I have seen is to purchase personally or into a trust then lease it back to your business. Great tool for advanced depreciation, income offset, and a tool to leverage the real world depreciation of "new" coaches. I am not a tax planner...just my.02.
by the way for your "shake down" take it atleast 100 mi out stop, use everything, then head back. I would recommend taking shower, do everything you are going to do on the road. And yes I agree with New Mar's rep for service.
B
By the way check out http://www.tyron.com/flash/index.htm I think a must for any coach.

BajaMike
11-13-2006, 08:58 AM
The other side does have large windows. where the couches are.
I got it...they are both beautiful!!
Good luck!

Grinnin'B
11-13-2006, 09:13 AM
The QC in the RV industry is horrible... it's kind of a crap shoot as to how good of luck you have. I have freinds that buy half million dollar Monaco's every 2 years and the coach spends most of the time in the shop, and people that buy 90,000 dollar Fleetwoods that don't do any more than change the oil... and visa versa as well.
I have always been a fan of Newmar products... very solidly built.
I would go for something with Aluminum/Metal sides...
That pretty much leaves Holliday Rambler in the higher end rigs, unless you go Prevost...
I so agree. Specifically the QC. All manufacturers suffer from QC dis-ability.
I have not seen the newr Rambler stuff, however all the pr looks good.
B

bohica
11-13-2006, 10:32 AM
The price of $260K on a 06 coach that has an msrp of $370K is just an ok deal. You should be able to negotiate at least 25% off of msrp on any coach. Also, a 400hp motor in a 42' tag axle rig is a little under powered. I'd step up to the CAT 525 hp in a rig that size, especially if your going to be towing a heavy trailer. A buddy of mine just picked up a new American Eagle with the 525hp, nice rig for sure. Watch the tow rating on the coaches as well. Even some of the tag axle rigs will only have a 10K tow rating.
I've looked at them all and my next coach will be a Foretravel.