PDA

View Full Version : Sandbar Closed Forever

Rod2614
11-13-2006, 12:21 AM
You heard it here first...they will close the sandbar forever. Have you been there lately. The reeds are growing fast, thick and green. Look around no where else are they growing so fast. My guess is they seeded the area so next year they can claim the birds are now using it as a natural habitat and now people are not allowed.
Watch it happen.
It would be funny if say people thru their pot seeds in the reeds. If the pot grew there the game and fish would cut down all the plant life there and we would get to keep the sandbar. Well, it is better than getting a boat load of day workers with gas weed wackers......I am going to miss the sandbar.

vee-driven
11-13-2006, 12:35 AM
i heard about the reeds a few months ago, 1 more freedom taken away.

cc322
11-13-2006, 05:20 AM
WTF........this dosent suprise me :mad:

BreastManWins
11-13-2006, 05:21 AM
How many people clicked on this thread thinking that Flynt Pubs was going to close THIS PLACE down? :p

HavasuSelect
11-13-2006, 06:18 AM
Now the Mini Sandbar is going to get over crowded.

rvrjunkie
11-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Everyone will just find another place to go. May I suggest Lake Mead.

GHT
11-13-2006, 06:55 AM
You know, now that you mention it. I have noticed the area getting filled with growth. It is quite weird... Is there anything that can be done to stop the growth? How far will they grow into the water (how much of the sandbar will be taken over)? Kind of sucks because all the other places to hang pretty much mandate you have to anchor off shore (lack of space) and my kids love playing in the sand.
If this is true, this would be another example of extreme measures taken to control people when all they have to do is enforce laws already in place. :mad:

Dusty Times
11-13-2006, 06:57 AM
If this is true, this would be another example of extreme measures taken to control people when all they have to do is enforce laws already in place. :mad:
Well said!!!

Devil's Advocate
11-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Somehow we'll survive it. :)

hoolign
11-13-2006, 07:00 AM
You heard it here first...they will close the sandbar forever. Have you been there lately. The reeds are growing fast, thick and green. Look around no where else are they growing so fast. My guess is they seeded the area so next year they can claim the birds are now using it as a natural habitat and now people are not allowed.
Watch it happen.
It would be funny if say people thru their pot seeds in the reeds. If the pot grew there the game and fish would cut down all the plant life there and we would get to keep the sandbar. Well, it is better than getting a boat load of day workers with gas weed wackers......I am going to miss the sandbar.
"pot" won't grow in those conditions....or so I have heard :p

lawbreaker2
11-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Please tell me this is not true :cry: And please tell me they did not seed it, they did something like this at one of our lake, and not they can't stop it and they been have all kinds of find stuff going on, In fact we sold our condo and move out. :rolleyes:

catman-do
11-13-2006, 07:37 AM
Someone can take an old POS boat and stage and accident there claiming the weeds blocked their view as they came around the bend and put in two 50 gallon gas jugs and make sure the whole thing burns. That will make sure the roots dont come back.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
11-13-2006, 07:42 AM
Remember....
It's a "Sandbar"....It will morf with the change of the water conditions....
Later,
CJG
:idea:

framer1
11-13-2006, 07:43 AM
This thread is worthless without pictures :)

prosthogod
11-13-2006, 07:53 AM
"pot" won't grow in those conditions....or so I have heard :p
Why not? What else would to get them to cut it all down. My kids love skimboarding there.

Hallett19
11-13-2006, 07:55 AM
The sandbar at Lake Martinez is way better anyway !!

Jyruiz
11-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Here is a sample, I took this pic in August of this year, I am sure it it worst now.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19871&stc=1

phebus
11-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Reed seeds. Thats funny :rollside:

Sleek-Jet
11-13-2006, 08:12 AM
Remember....
It's a "Sandbar"....It will morf with the change of the water conditions....
Later,
CJG
:idea:
Once again... someone is muddling this thread with facts... for shame... :crossx: :D

Mandelon
11-13-2006, 08:17 AM
One good storm and whoosh.......all gone. That's nature in action, you retards. :rolleyes:
Grass grows, that's what it does. Don't be alarmed.

2Driver
11-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Hate to admit it but my wife and I have been going to that piece of sand for 20 years now. We like it when we are the only ones there, with friends and when it is a reasonable party central.
Unfortunately, like other places along the river the belligerent few have abused their right to use it, hence ruining for those of us who enjoy it. As a national wildlife preserve I'm surprised it has been accessible for this long.
Do officials say, "ok we need 20 more LE to patrol the sandbar area because congestion, boat speed, fighting, alcohol and littering is out of control" or do they just say " hey Fock it close the dam place". Cleary with budgets and manpower they do the later. It a shame so much of the river has just gotten trampled to death over the past 15 years.

LaveyOne
11-13-2006, 10:06 AM
:idea: All we need to do is bring out a few weed whackers and we've got our sandbar back again. :idea: :squiggle:

Nautitwins2
11-13-2006, 10:12 AM
You know, now that you mention it. I have noticed the area getting filled with growth. It is quite weird... Is there anything that can be done to stop the growth? How far will they grow into the water (how much of the sandbar will be taken over)? Kind of sucks because all the other places to hang pretty much mandate you have to anchor off shore (lack of space) and my kids love playing in the sand.
Round up!!

phebus
11-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Damn that Oliver Stone and his reed seeds. It's a conspiracy I tell you!! Next thing you know, they will be putting chemicals in the water that make it turn red when you pee. Rat bastards. :mad:

Tremor Girl
11-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Here's one from the end of Oct.
http://usera.imagecave.com/lakelover/100_0399-copy.jpg

One Particular Harbor
11-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately, like other places along the river the belligerent few have abused their right to use it, hence ruining for those of us who enjoy it. As a national wildlife preserve I'm surprised it has been accessible for this long.
Do officials say, "ok we need 20 more LE to patrol the sandbar area because congestion, boat speed, fighting, alcohol and littering is out of control" or do they just say " hey Fock it close the dam place". Cleary with budgets and manpower they do the later. It a shame so much of the river has just gotten trampled to death over the past 15 years.
100% agree with this post. I started going to Havasu over 30 years ago and have great childhood memories of spending summers at the lake: wooden boats and plugging leaks with bubble gum, camping on the beaches and having tents shreaded during sudden squalls, shore starts and early-morning skis on "glass," etc.
Back then, going to the river made you feel like you were in a small club. If someone broke down, you stopped and lent a hand, gave them a jump, a tow, or whatever else they needed. You carried out your trash and left your camp site better than you found it. You respected others, learned the rights of way, and boated safely.
I don't want to come off as nostalgic, but it is sad that, while many of us still practice the basic courtesies, many do not and we are all being to lose some of our freedoms as result. I have young children and don't go to the Sandbar much anymore, but I've enjoyed some great days there and met some great people there.
Bottom line is that it would be really sad if yet another Havasu "experience" is lost because a sorry few can't refrain from ruining it for the rest.
OPH

Boatcop
11-13-2006, 11:13 AM
No seeding. That stuff (Cattails) grows naturally. This last year just happened to have exceptional conditions for vegitation growth.
What would you expect in a NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE.
We've got cattails growing in front of my office, that never had them before.
Nix the "Round-up" or Weed-Whacker ideas. Unless you want to face a few Federal Charges.

Nautitwins2
11-13-2006, 11:16 AM
No seeding. That stuff (Cattails) grows naturally. This last year just happened to have exceptional conditions for vegitation growth.
Nix the "Round-up" or Weed-Whacker ideas. Unless you want to face a few Federal Charges.
LMAO. What do you mean? We can get in trouble for disturbing a NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE.

That Guy
11-13-2006, 11:16 AM
As usual, the voice of reason... :)

cxr133
11-13-2006, 11:18 AM
WHere is the link or the official info on the closing of the sandbar for public use??
or are we just syaing that the cattails ae taking over???

2Driver
11-13-2006, 11:24 AM
This last year just happened to have exceptional conditions for vegitation growth.
Perhaps the increase in number of households flushing upstream in BH and Laughlin helped promote the growth. :squiggle:

ThongMagnet
11-13-2006, 11:29 AM
The reeds should make a safe habitat for a few rattlesnakes :idea:

kanedog
11-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Where can I get some of these "cattail seeds" they have used so I can grow my own?

Kiddunot
11-13-2006, 11:35 AM
The reeds should make a safe habitat for a few rattlesnakes :idea:
rattlesnakes like really hot rocks and asphault, besides how are they gonna get to the sandbar swim??? by that time they will end up down river....

Sleek-Jet
11-13-2006, 11:40 AM
rattlesnakes like really hot rocks and asphault, besides how are they gonna get to the sandbar swim??? by that time they will end up down river....
Rattlesnakes are some swimmin' sons-a-bitches... I've seen them swim across a lake for several miles...
So keep that in mind while you taking a dip at the lake... :idea: :D

Deano
11-13-2006, 11:41 AM
good post OPH. I remember those days when I was younger. No, no wake zones in the coves, etc..etc.
Riding around in a blown injected surface driven eliminator cruiser with pops. It was one of the biggest and fastest boats out there. Times have changed for the worse and better. The better is the boats. I still go to the sandbar when my kids (6 and 16) are with me. There are always mellow spots on the North end.

2Driver
11-13-2006, 12:15 PM
rattlesnakes how are they gonna get to the sandbar swim??? by that time they will end up down river....
Can't tell you how many drowning rattlesnakes I've seen screamming for help just south of the sandbar from that very reason. :D

GrapeApe
11-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Shhhh... That place sucks!!! Don't go there... :D
*** Grape Ape ***

thumbs
11-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Last weekend at the sandbar.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3770last_river_pipe_003-med.jpg

WYRD
11-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Please tell me your joking......

Biglue
11-13-2006, 01:26 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3770last_river_pipe_003.jpg
That is a lot of reeds. I kinda liked just being able to walk across the sanbar. :mad:

WYRD
11-13-2006, 01:44 PM
http://www.monarchsolutions.com/sunpower/images/sun%20important%20for%20flowers%20r.jpg
Has anybody ever thought that the reeds grow because the sandbar has emerged from the water? Years ago the bar was 12" underwater for most of the year, now the sand has built up so it is now a small island Dirt + Water + Sun= Plants:)

Deano
11-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Dirt + Water + Sun= Plants:)
:idea: hmmmm,Sounds logical....

phebus
11-13-2006, 04:38 PM
I just want to find the bastard that put the weed seeds in my yard :mad:

Phat Matt
11-13-2006, 04:46 PM
http://www.monarchsolutions.com/sunpower/images/sun%20important%20for%20flowers%20r.jpg
Has anybody ever thought that the reeds grow because the sandbar has emerged from the water? Years ago the bar was 12" underwater for most of the year, now the sand has built up so it is now a small island Dirt + Water + Sun= Plants:)
How long did it take you to draw that picture? :p

slowinhavasu
11-13-2006, 04:50 PM
It's odd the growth is only on the up river end of the sand bar, maybe they only spread the seeds at that end....
You guys CRACK me up.... :)

Chubby4Life
11-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Someone can take an old POS boat and stage and accident there claiming the weeds blocked their view as they came around the bend and put in two 50 gallon gas jugs and make sure the whole thing burns. That will make sure the roots dont come back.
Later's boat would be a perfect candidate. :D

BigDoug
11-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Sorry Rick !! i thought you might want some flowers........lol :)

WYRD
11-13-2006, 05:15 PM
How long did it take you to draw that picture? :p
Most the morning, I just figured these guys needed a picture to comprehend the issue at hand :idea:

Phat Matt
11-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Most the morning, I just figured these guys needed a picture to comprehend the issue at hand :idea:
I would send you home with a gold star for the day. :)

77charger
11-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Big deal one less place to sit and stare at your boat all day long! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :c
thats fine since havasu is the only place to boat at in this world.LOL :argue:
YES NEEDLES SUKS TOO :yuk:

707dog
11-13-2006, 07:32 PM
damn what did they do to your guys lil hang out?? i seen past pictures of the same spot and now it looks like some fertilizer company is test some new kinda grow fast seed ..lmao..sux!! well if it helps the s@#t sticks in my area are closing off one of the hottest coves/bridge in nor cal @ lake berryessa :cry: my parents took me when i was a lil booger eater and now i take mine..but next season they are blocking off that part of the lake to boat traffic..now instead of having all the drunks in one area they will be driving around the lake.. :idea:

wsuwrhr
11-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Everyone will just find another place to go. May I suggest Lake Mead.
Lake Mead is a shithole, don't EVER go there.
PLEASE!!!
Brian

shueman
11-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Hey, a big winter and some heavy spring releases out of Davis and it will all wash awy down stream.... :crossx:

jbone
11-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Shhhh... That place sucks!!! Don't go there... :D
*** Grape Ape ***
Yeah, Martinez sucks bigtime. :D
J

Sangerdude
11-14-2006, 01:27 PM
I dont know what the big deal is..... I cant see the reeds and weeds from my front yard, so NO BIGGEE!!! :devil:

edog_103
11-14-2006, 01:41 PM
SHHHHHHH.....Lets keep the whole Lake Martinez thing under wrap if you know what I mean. Next thing you know there will be 400 G-Money Wanna B gangsters bumping Em in there roll bar boats.