PDA

View Full Version : Glamis Candles / Sobe Bombs???

BADBLOWN572
11-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Some friends tried one last weekend out at Ocatillo. Didn't work out so well. How are they built?

Rev. Williams
11-13-2006, 01:47 PM
I have seen these before out in Glamis. What are they?
They're BAD A$$ !!!
It's just race fuel in a Sobe bottle with a tiny hole in the cap, that is then placed into a very hot fire and as the pressure builds in the bottle the fuel blows out making the intense flame, then at the end when the pressure builds WAY up it causes a final BOOOOOOOM !!! and glass goes flying and it looks like a nuclear bomb went off in the camp.
:rollside: :rollside:
Ahhh Good Times !!

squirt'nmyload
11-13-2006, 01:47 PM
poke a tiny hole in the cap......fill bottle with gas......build a small seperate fire away form everyone......put bottle in fire.......run away...then watch!!!!!!

That Guy
11-13-2006, 01:48 PM
We're going to need those for the next rhino run..... :crossx:

riverbound
11-13-2006, 01:50 PM
cool to watch, but kinda (VERY) nerve wracking when you have kids around :(
/basically it is a SObe bottle woith gas in it, there is a small hole poked in the lid and you place it in the coals of the fire. then watch the show.

BADBLOWN572
11-13-2006, 01:53 PM
How big should the hole be?
How much gas should you put in the bottle?
Should you take the plastic cap liner out or leave it in?
Do you screw the cap on all the way or leave it slightly loose?
Some people did it at our camp last weekend that did not work out so well. They put about a 3/16" hole in the bottle cap and filled it about 1/3 of the way full of fuel. They put it in the fire. You watched the gas boil, and the flames come out of the top, but the bottle never blew off the cap so we didn't get a good flame out of it. Eventually the gas just evaporated and the bottle stayed in the camp fire.

Mrs.Racer277
11-13-2006, 01:56 PM
They're BAD A$$ !!!
It's just race fuel in a Sobe bottle with a tiny hole in the cap, that is then placed into a very hot fire and as the pressure builds in the bottle the fuel blows out making the intense flame, then at the end when the pressure builds WAY up it causes a final BOOOOOOOM !!! and glass goes flying and it looks like a nuclear bomb went off in the camp.
Ahhh Good Times !!
And you would know this how???? :p LMAO

riverbound
11-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Some people did it at our camp last weekend that did not work out so well. They put about a 3/16" hole in the bottle cap and filled it about 1/3 of the way full of fuel. They put it in the fire. You watched the gas boil, and the flames come out of the top, but the bottle never blew off the cap so we didn't get a good flame out of it. Eventually the gas just evaporated and the bottle stayed in the camp fire.
Thats about right...the bottle should not explode if done right. the cap should lblow off first. I think the hole was made by a nail. It was about 3/4 full of fuel once it was done right. IT should boil, then shot the flame and then lastly blow the top off. If done right, it should NOT explode the bottle. Do a google search for them.

squirt'nmyload
11-13-2006, 01:57 PM
really tiny....i use the tip of a knife
i usually fill it 1/2 way maybe more
i've only ever used sobe bottles and all i do it poke a hole in the cap
screw it on tight
aka: a dud...............

ChumpChange
11-13-2006, 01:58 PM
We used to do this with MGD 40s. MGD had the good bottles with the narrowing neck and a normal size mouth. The wide mouth bottles aren't so good. We'd fill them to the top with Gas and set them nicely in the fire pointing straight up.
We wouldn't poke a hole in the cap and never had a bottle actually blow up.

AZKC
11-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Its all fun and games :) then somebody looses an eye :crossx: :)
I can't wait to try this :)

Ziggy
11-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Not to mention the glass in the sand after one of the bottles explode.
Great, more mayhem for me to try and piss off the wife....LOL

mbrown2
11-13-2006, 02:15 PM
really tiny....i use the tip of a knife
i usually fill it 1/2 way maybe more
i've only ever used sobe bottles and all i do it poke a hole in the cap
screw it on tight
aka: a dud...............
Good advice...small hole, tight lid, half full....good hot fire, place right in the middle, make sure pointed directly straight up...
Get some good fire retardent gloves...up to the elbows to place in the fire...
Three bottles at a time are really cool...(only Sobe)...Parker's Finest have gotten a call or two due to large Sobe clouds up near the dam...:)

squirt'nmyload
11-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Three bottles at a time are really cool
ya know, i can't believe i've never thought of doing more than one at a time!!!!!! i usually dig a pit, get a couple of shovel fulls of hot coals, then put them around the bottle, then throw a couple pieces of wood on it to catch fire so i'm not reaching through flames to put the bottle in the fire

squirt'nmyload
11-13-2006, 02:28 PM
dry ice bombs are fun too.....they are freakin loud!!!

Reaper1
11-13-2006, 02:28 PM
We did this once with the big bottle of Goose. Blew out the ass of the bottle and almost caught someone on fire. Good Times! :)

CHEETAH24
11-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Its all fun and games :) then somebody looses an eye :crossx: :)
I can't wait to try this :)
Then it's just fun.... :)

EmpirE231
11-13-2006, 02:41 PM
You can use any bottle that has a screw on metal cap!! we always did it with boone's bottles... cheap, gets the girls a lil buz... then blow it up for entertainment!! the bottle shouldn't break... the hole should be tiny (ex. tip of a nife.. a lil bigger then the tip of a pen) ... could be filled with any gas... doesnt need to be race gas.. atleat 3/4 full or to the botton of the neck. if the tip is too big...it'll just make a torch until it runs out of fuel! if the tip is right it'll make a really fine torch and then it'll start cutting in and out when the gas is boiling (sounds awesome) ... then when the hole expands due to the fire KABOOOM! awesome lil mushroom cloud :crossx: :220v: :crossx: ... last year we did a huge one with a handle of smirnoff vodka! that mofo warmed up the whole camp! have fun :crossx:

Chipster27
11-13-2006, 02:43 PM
http://thh.fbox.net/index.php?showtopic=15
REMOVE THE GASKET, or cut around the hole...
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/HEY_DOGG/campinrasorroad037.jpg

boatnam2
11-13-2006, 02:59 PM
we seen it done at octillo,guy mixed gas and vodka i think half a bottle or so.worked good.

boatnam2
we seen it done at octillo,guy mixed gas and vodka i think half a bottle or so.worked good.the

boatnam2
we seen it done at octillo,guy mixed gas and vodka i think half a bottle or so.worked good.the guy

boatnam2
we seen it done at octillo,guy mixed gas and vodka i think half a bottle or so.worked good.the guy was

boatnam2
we seen it done at octillo,guy mixed gas and vodka i think half a bottle or so.worked good.the guy was shit

boatnam2
we seen it done at octillo,guy mixed gas and vodka i think half a bottle or so.worked good.the guy was shit face

boatnam2
we seen it done at octillo,guy mixed gas and vodka i think half a bottle or so.worked good.the guy was shit face drank a

boatnam2
we seen it done at octillo,guy mixed gas and vodka i think half a bottle or so.worked good.the guy was shit face drank a half

boatnam2
we seen it done at octillo,guy mixed gas and vodka i think half a bottle or so.worked good.the guy was shit face drank a half bottle of something else to do it again.while were messing with it the ranger pulls up with a girl and asked if she was with us she was walking through the desert in the middle of the night she was teh guys gf and walked away when we were not watching,after she tore her ass up on our fifty lol.it was so funny.

boatnam2
11-13-2006, 03:05 PM
whats going on i put delete message and it make 5 copies of itself.

squirt'nmyload
11-13-2006, 03:08 PM
looks like you are the one drinking http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/squirtnmyload/biggrin2.gif

racecar.hotshoe
11-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Post who*e!........... :crossx: :p

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
11-13-2006, 03:29 PM
We would use Mickey's Big mouth, Someone must pound it to appease the fire Gods or else it will blow up. One night I volunteered to chug all 6 and it made the next mornings buggy ride vomitastic. Never heard of a dry ice bomb, please enlighten

BRAWNY
11-13-2006, 03:35 PM
boatnam2 whats going on i put delete message and it make 5 copies of itself
you trying to get your post count up? :D

boatnam2
11-13-2006, 03:38 PM
we use to do dry ice bombs all the time,2 litre plastic bottle,crush some dry ice put in bottle and add water.its scary because the bottle is screaming when you put on the lid.we did one and it didnt explode so we got this great idea to drive by and hit it with something.it was sitting on a table my buddy hangs out the window and hits it with something as we drive by and boom i could feel the concussion he was screaming took a little to the face i guess no damage.sometimes it dosent blow you can hear the bottle streching.

squirt'nmyload
11-13-2006, 03:42 PM
we use to do dry ice bombs all the time,2 litre plastic bottle,crush some dry ice put in bottle and add water.its scary because the bottle is screaming when you put on the lid.we did one and it didnt explode so we got this great idea to drive by and hit it with something.it was sitting on a table my buddy hangs out the window and hits it with something as we drive by and boom i could feel the concussion he was screaming took a little to the face i guess no damage.sometimes it dosent blow you can hear the bottle streching.
sometimes it does take awhile, it depends on how much dry ice and water u put in......we put gas in one before and threw it next to the fire...i don't recommend trying that!! my friend still bitches to this day about all the little holes in his favorite camping chair from the coals getting "blasted" everywhere

boatnam2
11-13-2006, 03:44 PM
boatnam2 whats going on i put delete message and it make 5 copies of itself
you trying to get your post count up? :D
no kidding i feel like kilrtoy!

Dezertrider
11-13-2006, 04:15 PM
They're BAD A$$ !!!
Ahhh Good Times !!
If the bottle blows you have done it wrong. We did about 10 of em a few weeks ago with a full bottle and a pin hole on the top. It works great but make sure the fire is hot and you need to place some wood around the bottle to make sure it does not tip over.
I like the large vodka bottles with a plastic top. The plastic top melts and there is a huge flame that shoots up!!!! More fuel = more boom

EmpirE231
11-13-2006, 04:20 PM
kinda funny about how we bitch about gas prices.... and when we do these bombs...it's always 91 octane... kinda gets pricey for the entertainment :idea:

riverbound
11-13-2006, 04:24 PM
kinda funny about how we bitch about gas prices.... and when we do these bombs...it's always 91 octane... kinda gets pricey for the entertainment :idea:
"You cant put a price on fun" thats what I always tell myself.

riverroyal
11-13-2006, 04:27 PM
you leave glass every where around camp?Im guessing everyone,including the dogs wear boots all day.Maybe you should put nails in the bottle first so you get a flat as you leave on your way home

callbob4homes
11-13-2006, 04:29 PM
glass bottles.............sand dunes..............expensive tires...................kids with cut feet..................yeah thats fun :rolleyes:
same thing with pallets............they burn good..........nails don't :cry:

Phat Matt
11-13-2006, 04:32 PM
The bottles don't explode. All the pressure goes through the cap.

riverroyal
11-13-2006, 04:34 PM
The bottles don't explode. All the pressure goes through the cap.
did I read it wrong

Chipster27
11-13-2006, 04:37 PM
you leave glass every where around camp?
If done right the bottle remains in tact and you can pic them up the next day.
http://www.webs4racers.com/images/spot_x/DSCN0248.JPG

Phat Matt
did I read it wrong
There is a boom but it is more a flame thrower mushroom cloud kind of thing out the top of the bottle. The bottle stays in one piece.

boatnam2
threw the bottles away in the trash when we were done,i guess if one did break and the kids wanted to play in the ashes in the fire pit when the fire wasnt going they may cut there feet only problem is there feet would be so black you couldnt see it even if they did.

riverroyal
11-13-2006, 04:39 PM
There is a boom but it is more a flame thrower mushroom cloud kind of thing out the top of the bottle. The bottle stays in one piece.
ok it sounds fun then

2Driver
11-13-2006, 04:46 PM
The next thread will be:
Open fires banned forever at Glamis, they are taking away our freedom. :D :D

Phat Matt
11-13-2006, 04:47 PM
The next thread will be:
Open fires banned forever at Glamis, they are taking away our freedom. :D :D
Do you want to start it or should I? :D

squirt'nmyload
11-13-2006, 05:38 PM
i take a minimum of 5 gallons of "play gas"

77charger
11-13-2006, 06:19 PM
dude you guys dont now what your missing when we go on a shooting trip to the desert we use 5 gallon cans of gas and 5 gallon propane tanks with flares tied to them then shoot at them with tracer rounds.You then will see what real bombs can do.LOL
As for sobes my brother is good at them he backs off the cap a little with the smallest hole he can put in it.

squirt'nmyload
11-13-2006, 06:22 PM
dude you guys dont now what your missing when we go on a shooting trip to the desert we use 5 gallon cans of gas and 5 gallon propane tanks with flares tied to them then shoot at them with tracer rounds.You then will see what real bombs can do.LOL
thats what i'm talkin about....lmao!!!!

Bense468
11-13-2006, 07:41 PM
this is ol school...Been doing this shit for years with beer bottles and vodka bottles. thats small time.
now oxi bombs are something else.

H20Advantage
11-13-2006, 07:51 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SYGLxALFlWg&search=bomb
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=832908651870313673
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1312447889

wsuwrhr
11-13-2006, 07:53 PM
Cool,
Explode a glass bottle in the sand where $600 worth of paddle tires roll by when the next group camps there.
Maybe the next week children will make a little track right where you were camped.
Come on guys, seriously.
I'm bummed to hear this seems to be so commonplace, I have never heard of it.
All the shit everyone talks about setting a good example in the channel. I would have never expected this shit from ***boaters.
Light off some illegal fireworks or something, anything better than a gas filled glass bottle.
Brian

Phat Matt
11-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Cool,
Explode a glass bottle in the sand where $600 worth of paddle tires roll by when the next group camps there.
Maybe the next week children will make a little track right where you were camped.
Come on guys, seriously.
I'm bummed to hear this seems to be so commonplace, I have never heard of it.
All the shit everyone talks about setting a good example in the channel. I would have never expected this shit from ***boaters.
Light off some illegal fireworks or something, anything better than a gas filled glass bottle.
Brian
BOTTLES DON'T EXPLODE!

riverroyal
11-13-2006, 08:19 PM
BOTTLES DON'T EXPLODE!
do they explode???HAAA.

wsuwrhr
11-13-2006, 08:26 PM
BOTTLES DON'T EXPLODE!
Alot of SHOULDS in a couple of those posts.
We did this once with the big bottle of Goose. Blew out the ass of the bottle and almost caught someone on fire. Good Times! :)
Thats about right...the bottle should not explode if done right. the cap should lblow off first. I think the hole was made by a nail. It was about 3/4 full of fuel once it was done right. IT should boil, then shot the flame and then lastly blow the top off. If done right, it should NOT explode the bottle. Do a google search for them.
They're BAD A$$ !!!
Ahhh Good Times !!

wsuwrhr
11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
If anyone in my camp was doing this around my family/motorhome/toys, I will pack my shit and move to a different spot.
Probably will be the last time I will be out camping with them as well.
Brian

Phat Matt
11-13-2006, 08:58 PM
If anyone in my camp was doing this around my family/motorhome/toys, I will pack my shit and move to a different spot.
Probably will be the last time I will be out camping with them as well.
Brian
Just bring illegal fireworks then, they are safe too. :)

Cs19
11-13-2006, 08:59 PM
I dont know about the smallest hole possible Robert. We took a full drill bit kit to the river and tried everything from real small to about 1/4". A little under 1/8" is ideal.
We used to blow up everything in sight back in the day at the river but by far the best thing ever was these waterproof bombs my buddy had, i think they were seal bombs or something..UNfockinREAL!! Cops came for that one along with many others.Actually almost went to jail that night come to think of it. :rolleyes:
The propane tank is pretty psycho but Id like to see that! :)

Cs19
11-13-2006, 09:07 PM
oh and the bottles dont blow up when done right. :)
There was another bomb my buddy made that was pretty cool, he was a pool guy and took some form of acid he had in his truck and poured it into a rather large plastic bottle of some kind then dropped a small piece of crumpled up tin foil into the bottle, threw it and ran like hell. It took a while but it let go pretty damn good, definatly entertaining but not the same when there isnt fire involved.

Riomouse911
11-13-2006, 10:07 PM
I'll be honest, I rarely see anyone cleaning up bottles or nails picked up from fire pits after a weekend bender. Like the guys who bring bottles to the desert shoot at, most of that stuff just gets left behind for the kiddies, dogs, etc.. to tread on when barefootin' in the sand... and that stuff NEVER rots away.
As for the bombs, the ice bombs and acid bombs are all big time felonies in Ca., and a great way to get hurt quickly. Happens all the time around the fourth of July and the new years holiday. The acid flies all over, and has an amazing knack of finding the face and eyes of everyone around, usually the kids. I guess if you're going to do it, make sure you don't hurt anyone... the pokey would not be a great vacation spot for the kiddies to visit mommy or daddy for the holidays..
I love the posts on HB, but this is one that we'll be reading about sooner or later where so-and-so got hurt... :rolleyes:

wsuwrhr
11-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Just bring illegal fireworks then, they are safe too. :)
So would you please enlighten me on how unsafe lighting a fuse can be on a bottlerocket/mortar/ ect ect compared to putting gasoline in a bottle and putting it into a fire?
Come on Matt.
Please do tell.
Brian

Phat Matt
11-13-2006, 10:19 PM
So would you please enlighten me on how unsafe lighting a fuse can be on a bottlerocket/mortar/ ect ect compared to putting gasoline in a bottle and putting it into a fire?
Come on Matt.
Please do tell.
Brian
Both of them have there risks is my point. How many people go to the hospital each year from fireworks vs bottles full of gas?
On the bottle, the pressure comes out the top, it doesn't explode. I guess it would be kind of like a fountain (fireworks). I never saw them until my Glamis trip a couple of weeks ago. I guess you have to see it to get the images of flying glass out of your head.

Kindsvater Flat
11-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Hmmmm...
Dry draino, ping pong balls, elect tape and gas. Fill balls with draino and wrap in tape. Throw them in a container of gas. When the gas melts the tape and hits the draino its suppose to burst into flames. (haven't tried it)
"Works" brand toilet bowl cleaner (wal mart), alum foil, 2 liter bottle. shread alum foil so you fill about 2" at the bottom of the 2 liter bottle, put about 1/2 cup of cleaner in with it and cap it tight and throw. Chemical reaction creates heat and expands bottle to twice its size. Very large bang.
Our favorite on the ranch is a 35 gallon round up barrel filled with acetylene and oxygen then thrown in a fire.

OGShocker
11-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Make sure you bookmark this LINK (http://www.burnsurvivor.com/treatmentproducts.html).

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Sobe bombs are really neato when they work but sometimes they don't work. They make me nervous and I no longer stay outside when they are doing them. and they scare my dogs worse than fireworks do.

lawbreaker2
11-14-2006, 08:21 AM
That cool looking, Never don't that, but have blowen up cars and stuff like that, Take a oxy-healem ballon and put into an old car with windows in it. :D But don't do this at home, you must be a pro at this to try.