PDA

View Full Version : Job burn out

Biglue
11-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Do any of you hit these really boring periods though out your employment? Sometimes I get these REALLY unmotivated periods where the job is just plain boring. It's not really challenging anymore and just drags on. I'm going to contradict myself and say I actually do like my job, and I work for great company and so forth. I guess I could really just do without some of the bullshit that makes you feel unfilfilled at the end of the day. I find myself unmotivated over them a whole lot. Perhaps a break in the day to day routine could be a positive. What do you guys do if and when you find yourself in the middle of one of these stinks?

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
11-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Since it isn't the first time, and it's not going to be your last, you really don't have much choice to ride it out. I am not sure what you do, but I tell my guys that when the job gets boring, they have to create work for themselves. That never sounds good at the time but those that take my advice come out of their slump faster. And as sales people, that usually equates to more money.. I am sure we all go thru it. I own the company and there are times I go thru it. It's tough to stay motivated all day, every day.
If you don't like that advice, just post some bullshit on here and maybe pick a fight or two!! ha ha

IN2-IN2MX
11-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Do any of you hit these really boring periods though out your employment? Sometimes I get these REALLY unmotivated periods where the job is just plain boring. It's not really challenging anymore and just drags on. I'm going to contradict myself and say I actually do like my job, and I work for great company and so forth. I guess I could really just do without some of the bullshit that makes you feel unfilfilled at the end of the day. I find myself unmotivated over them a whole lot. Perhaps a break in the day to day routine could be a positive. What do you guys do if and when you find yourself in the middle of one of these stinks?
Hey Lue. I work in manufacturing and like my job also. But yes, I feel like that every few months or so. It's definitely boredom and sometimes I am just annoyed with the directors at my company. What we (my coworkers) do is try to do a happy hour after work, go to lunch and vent/drink or go walking at lunch. It gets us out of there...sometimes we just need a breather. Can you change any of your duties? Maybe a little change in what you do on a daily basis will prevent you from becoming stagnant and kick start some new motivation. :)

Rexone
11-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Normally when I get feeling like this I just Look around the world a bit (http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=16571) and it improves my outlook on things almost immediately. :)

Tom Brown
11-13-2006, 07:44 PM
What do you guys do if and when you find yourself in the middle of one of these stinks?
I've experienced the same workplace malaise you speak of many times, Lue. At times such as this I call Hoolign, tell him I'm his parole officer, and then tell him routine surveillance has caught him with 261 counts of parole violations. He's usually crying by the time I ask him to surrender himself at the local police station before 10 am the next morning.
If that doesn't brighten your day... you might as well swallow a bullet.

AZKC
11-13-2006, 07:57 PM
I took a year off and then took a job with the County, but its boring me to tears so I'm thinking about going back to the real world :cry:

Biglue
11-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey Lue. I work in manufacturing and like my job also. But yes, I feel like that every few months or so. It's definitely boredom and sometimes I am just annoyed with the directors at my company. What we (my coworkers) do is try to do a happy hour after work, go to lunch and vent/drink or go walking at lunch. It gets us out of there...sometimes we just need a breather. Can you change any of your duties? Maybe a little change in what you do on a daily basis will prevent you from becoming stagnant and kick start some new motivation. :)
I'm in manufacturing as well. Most of my problems arise from the personnel I manage. Managing cry babies gets old. Some people just don't get it. I've had to ramp up to 3 shifts as well purchase more machine tools because of huge company growth and finding people to staff the shifts is next to impossible. We have several temp agencies bringing candidates forward and by the time I find people worth bringing aboard the ones I hired have already found a way to fock their employment up. We're having a terrible turn around with new people. With the unemployment at 4% or whatever it is, I'm told it's just going to be a way of life. Damn.....just typing this out I just defined to myself what a big part of my problem is. I'm stuck in this cycle that I can't get out of.
Rex, that's a really humbling reminder. It is very true what you posted.
Tom Brown, PM me Hooli's number. :D

RitcheyRch
11-14-2006, 05:22 AM
I get job burn out all the time and thats why am a job shopper. Figure when get burned out its time to move on to another company. The longest job have had and didnt get burned out was at Boeing in Long Beach. I think the reason didnt get burned out was because of all the travelling to other cities and countries to support the customer. Sure made things interesting.

hoolign
11-14-2006, 07:07 AM
I've experienced the same workplace malaise you speak of many times, Lue. At times such as this I call Hoolign, tell him I'm his parole officer, and then tell him routine surveillance has caught him with 261 counts of parole violations. He's usually crying by the time I ask him to surrender himself at the local police station before 10 am the next morning.
If that doesn't brighten your day... you might as well swallow a bullet.
Myself, I take pride in impersonating the local utility companies and making emergency calls at all hours! :p

wright27
11-14-2006, 07:22 AM
I know how you feel Lue. I am at a job with crazy times of stress or just slow times full of boring hour after boring hour. It has really got to me mentally. What I did was start a side business. I got my wife involved who is a stay home mom , and now my business is making more than my job. My goal was to leave this job at the end of 2006 and I am ahead of schedule.

NOTALENT
11-14-2006, 07:28 AM
I get like this on a daily basis :cry: Sales is at its slow point this time of year. At least it is for engines. Since im not on the sales desk no more its slowed down a bit more because I dont have to deal with the as many customers. I ***boat or myspace it up to take the time away... :p Then the gym afterwork to release the stress of being bored or you can always drink your problems away... :crossx:

v-drive
11-14-2006, 07:34 AM
Crybabies are a pain in the neck....v-drive

Jbb
11-14-2006, 07:34 AM
My jobs stress me out too....Not to mention Brown's never ending harassment...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860MgmtLesson.jpg

socalmoney
11-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Start treating your coworkers like this and things will get real exciting.
http://www.johnandkenshow.com/blogimages/Firemanhazing.JPG

Sleek-Jet
11-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Who doesn't... I just spent most of the evening last night complaining about might job...
It's get's old... the boss pisses you off... the people that you work with piss you off... the people that work for you piss you off...
I enjoy what I do, quite a bit actually, but the day-to-day wears everyone down.
Payday helps quite a bit though... :idea: