PDA

View Full Version : Going spare-less in the Rhino, Radial Plugs

2Driver
11-15-2006, 06:22 PM
I got some of those Radial tire plugs in a kit with tools for fixing flats. The Kit did not include any glue or cement for the plugs.
Are those plugs pre-glued, they sort of look it? I've seen other kits with the cement included. What's the diff?

Garrddogg
11-15-2006, 06:26 PM
What about breaking a bead? or tweekin a wheel?

squirt'nmyload
11-15-2006, 06:28 PM
the plugs i've used have the stuff already on them.....it's easy to tell. what if you slice a tire????

YeLLowBoaT
11-15-2006, 06:50 PM
bring a few cans of fix a flat... and a coulpe of tubes to super glue( I have had to fix tires rock crawling that every thing else would not fix.)... pump is a good idea as well.

rrrr
11-15-2006, 06:51 PM
what if you slice a tire????
He'll be with 297 other Rhino owners. One of 'em will be smart enough to carry a spare. :crossx:

2Driver
11-15-2006, 07:06 PM
What about breaking a bead? or tweekin a wheel?
If we go "real" back country I'll get one. It's a space and weight distribution issue right now.
Worst case scenario I'll run on the rim and pay the damage bill. I've heard of guys ramming 5 and 6 of those plugs in tandem for a side wall tear and getting back with a slow leak and a couple of air ups on the way home.

Garrddogg
11-15-2006, 07:20 PM
If we go "real" back country I'll get one. It's a space and weight distribution issue right now.
Worst case scenario I'll run on the rim and pay the damage bill. I've heard of guys ramming 5 and 6 of those plugs in tandem for a side wall tear and getting back with a slow leak and a couple of air ups on the way home.
When I bought my wheels and tres I bought 5 and im going to have a mount on the rear of the cage..

squirt'nmyload
11-15-2006, 08:08 PM
He'll be with 297 other Rhino owners. One of 'em will be smart enough to carry a spare. :crossx:
lmao

djunkie
11-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Find a way to bring a spare.

scarabrick2
11-16-2006, 07:40 AM
I've gone on a few trips with my Scrambler 4x4 500 with no spare. polaris vs rhino prob weighs the same :) I put a can of slime in each wheel. helps out a little (cactus thorns). I carry a 12volt pump (3" x 8" overall length) i got from auto zone. 3 dzn plugs, plug tool, reamer and a razor knife. gone on a few 100 mile trips in a day up in utah and az and you really need the extra plugs for the big rip/tear. one of my tires has 9 plugs in it (SIDEWALL) yes its safe. remember by bike is 4x4 and weights a ton. well almost, roughly 750 pounds total. i also carry a tube of rubber cement for the plugs. just put a little on each plug and push it in. the fix a flat SUCKS but it does have air in it. If the bead is broken which is very hard to do, my bro has a big box on his king quad and we carry a small can of STARTING FLUID. spray a little i mean 1 -2 sprays and throw a match at it. the bead will seat and then fill it. thats only if you can't blow it up with the comp. if the bead is broken a air comp will never seat it. also try and wrap the tire with a ratchet strap and fill it . wow long winded sorry

2Driver
11-16-2006, 09:06 AM
That's good info.
Spare location: I tell you with the rear seat in and full cage you run out of placement options. Hanging off the back of the cage or cooler rack makes no sense and just puts all the weight off the back of the box. On top of the cage adds to much high center of gravity weight.
Anyone have that hitch mounted spare holder yet?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/3347DCP_2221.JPG