PDA

View Full Version : Some more Rhino trivia....

wsuwrhr
11-17-2006, 08:39 PM
In case you didn't already know.......
You know that idiot light on the dash for engine overheating?
Just so you know, apparently that light seems to come on when the coolant reaches 250 degrees.
I renamed that light to the "Engine Destruction Light."
By the time that light comes on, motor is dead.
I would recommend you ballers install a temp gauge or a lower temp sensor. More to come on the lower temp sensor.
Brian
*****DISCLAIMER******
This thread is completely unrelated to previous Rhino thread.

RiverRatMike
11-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Gonna do a temp gauge soon. Would be a good idea.

wsuwrhr
11-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Just want to make sure everyone gets a chance to see it.

Forkin' Crazy
11-18-2006, 10:17 AM
*****DISCLAIMER******
Rhino, shmino... do you guys know of anything else? : :boxed:
;)

wsuwrhr
11-18-2006, 03:08 PM
So everyone is interested in melting down their Rhino?
Brian

RiverRatMike
11-18-2006, 04:34 PM
with a yamaha motor you never have to worry about that.

wsuwrhr
11-18-2006, 05:43 PM
with a yamaha motor you never have to worry about that.
Are you serious?
Two came in this week with the same problem.
Brian

2Driver
11-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Since you seem to be on top of this, what are the main causes of Dumb-ass ballers overheating their stupid Rhinos?

hoolign
11-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Are you serious?
Brian
are ya stupid?? That was posted on the internet! :p

wsuwrhr
11-18-2006, 05:56 PM
are ya stupid?? That was posted on the internet! :p
Nice, you jackass hooli.
I am just out in the trenches helping out the ***boaters

wsuwrhr
11-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Since you seem to be on top of this, what are the main causes of Dumb-ass ballers overheating their stupid Rhinos?
The two overheaters weren't baller machines really.
Just your everyday ride just a bunch of you guys have.
Too be honest, don't know yet.
I just mentioned the post because you would THINK the sender would come on BERFORE the engine was toast, not after.
240 degrees is too hot and too late.
Just trying to help out where I can.
Brian

hoolign
11-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Nice, you jackass hooli.
I am just out in the trenches helping out the ***boaters
Well you have your work cut out for you! I dont think half the people on here anymore know the difference between a air cleaner and a oil filter!

RiverRatMike
11-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Are you serious?
Brian
I've owned all different kinds of Yamaha's over 25 years and never once have I had a serious problem with any of them. It's how the owners treat them when they abuse them, anything will fail. That 660 cc is a excellent motor. Now Honda's that a whole different story.

2Driver
11-18-2006, 06:35 PM
I dont think half the people on here anymore know the difference between a air cleaner and a oil filter!
There's 2 of those filter thingys?

hoolign
11-18-2006, 06:48 PM
There's 2 of those filter thingys?
I dont think your included in that reference!~ :D
:p

HighRoller
11-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Wow, you learn something new everyday. I didn't think Rhino owners actually drove them. I assumed they bought them just to have something to post on here about.

djunkie
11-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Wow, you learn something new everyday. I didn't think Rhino owners actually drove them. I assumed they bought them just to have something to post on here about.
Shocking what you learn when you take your head out of your ass isn't it? :crossx: :crossx:

hoolign
11-19-2006, 01:43 PM
:p Then store them for the half the year they cant afford the insurance :p

wsuwrhr
11-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Please don't turn this thread into some pissing match.
I posted this information for the people with Rhino's to evaluate the need to know that the coolant is at 240 degrees.
Nothing more, nothing less
Brian

BreastManWins
11-19-2006, 01:47 PM
You mean the Rhino's motor isn't water cooled?

djunkie
11-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Please don't turn this thread into some pissing match.
I posted this information for the people with Rhino's to evaluate the need to know that the coolant is at 240 degrees.
Nothing more, nothing less
Brian
It was only a joke. I swear. :crossx: :crossx:

wsuwrhr
11-19-2006, 01:50 PM
You mean the Rhino's motor isn't water cooled?
I believe the new technical term is LIQUID cooled. Call it whatever you want.
Could use urine I suppose.
Lunchtime.
Brian

hoolign
11-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Lunchtime.
Brian
Good point..water doesnt cool like antifreeze and doesnt hold the same attributes to defend against freezing

djunkie
11-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Good point..water doesnt cool like antifreeze and doesnt hold the same attributes to defend against freezing
Doesn't straight water cool better than straight anitfreeze? Antifreeze mixed correctly with water just adds lubrication and antifreeze protection I thought. Hell what do I know? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hoolign
11-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Doesn't straight water cool better than straight anitfreeze? Antifreeze mixed correctly with water just adds lubrication and antifreeze protection I thought. Hell what do I know? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
antifreeze raises the boiling point of water ..so I thought that would make it better for cooling??

djunkie
11-19-2006, 02:18 PM
antifreeze raises the boiling point of water ..so I thought that would make it better for cooling??
Yes but straight water cools better than straight antifreeze doesn't it?

wsuwrhr
11-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Yes but straight water cools better than straight antifreeze doesn't it?
I believe water is a better conductor of heat.

djunkie
11-19-2006, 02:22 PM
I believe water is a better conductor of heat.
I guess I feel asleep that day in class cause I could swear I was taught that straight water in a radiator cooled better than straight antifreeze. But the mixture is what made it work. As well as a proper radiator cap.

djunkie
11-19-2006, 03:20 PM
No
SO what your saying is, if I ran 100% coolant in my radiator it will cool better than 100% water? :confused: :confused:

djunkie
11-19-2006, 03:32 PM
No
Nevermind. I think I need the Hanasalator for all you canatards.

wsuwrhr
11-28-2006, 06:45 PM
It seems that ANY engine mods are resulting in overtaxing the cooling system.
It seems this farm cart-turned sandrail is not liking extended high load sessions.
Heed my warning about your overheat light gentlepeoples.
PWR radiators and oil coolers seem to be the way to go.
Brian

rrrr
11-28-2006, 06:59 PM
It seems this farm cart-turned sandrail is not liking extended high load sessions.
LMAO!! :crossx:

RiverRatMike
11-28-2006, 07:00 PM
It seems that ANY engine mods are resulting in overtaxing the cooling system.
Heed my warning about your overheat light gentlepeoples.
PWR radiators and oil coolers seem to be the way to go.
Brian
huh, kinda funny that this hasn't happened to my Rhino. Over the weekend pulled a medium sized motorcycle trailer behind my rhino out into the desert to rescue my buddy when his dirtbike broke down. I climbed hills, rocks and even in deep sand with whoops and my Rhino never failed. Thought to myself, well maybe the engine hot light is going to come on cause I was really working that motor hard, but it never did. I was very very impressed with the engine performance of the 660!

wsuwrhr
11-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Thought to myself, well maybe the engine hot light is going to come on cause I was really working that motor hard, but it never did. I was very very impressed with the engine performance of the 660!
You mean the engine-destructo light?
By the time that light comes on, you might as well just keep going, cause the motor is already toast.
Brian

RiverRatMike
11-28-2006, 07:24 PM
You mean the engine-destructo light?
By the time that light comes on, you might as well just keep going, cause the motor is already toast.
Brian
so where do you get these low temp sensors that come on before a problem occurs?

OCMerrill
11-28-2006, 07:26 PM
If that light was in the shape of a Coors Light and lit up blue like the can liner....
It would get noticed. :rollside:

Kindsvater Flat
11-28-2006, 07:31 PM
water boils at 212 and I believe the boiling point raises 3 degrees for every lb on the radiator cap. Straight antifreeze boils at 300 degrees. I might be wrong since its been away since I was told this.

OCMerrill
11-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Lunchtime.
Brian
Actually urea is used in many items designed to get very cold without freezing and aids in heat transfer.
I used to injection mold and assemble a product called the slush mug for kiddies. Filled with a liquid. Guess what it was? FDA required it for listing. Cool product would slush up coolaid or soda after a small sit time in the freezer.
So yes....you could pee in it. :rollside:
Also Anti-freeze will raise the boiling point sure but it does not aid in heat conduction or transfer. Lubrication and raise of the boiling point is all. There are additives for heat transfer that contain mixed amounts of sufactant. This cuts down the surface tension of the water allowing it to stick (lack of a better term) to the metal and remove the heat.
When I raced my CR500 the "Liquid Coolant" was in no way an anti-freeze. Just a bunch of surfactant and water pump lubricant with blue dye.
Putting prestone in that thing would screw the ball of wax.

Magic34
11-28-2006, 07:39 PM
In case you didn't already know.......
You know that idiot light on the dash for engine overheating?
Just so you know, apparently that light seems to come on when the coolant reaches 250 degrees.
I renamed that light to the "Engine Destruction Light."
By the time that light comes on, motor is dead.
I would recommend you ballers install a temp gauge or a lower temp sensor. More to come on the lower temp sensor.
Brian
*****DISCLAIMER******
It is 205 degrees not 250.

wsuwrhr
11-28-2006, 07:58 PM
It is 205 degrees not 250.
I hope you are right, the three we tested were all 250.

Magic34
11-28-2006, 08:06 PM
I hope you are right, the three we tested were all 250.
The one my buddy has on his, think it is a 2006, he also has a water temp gauge but it is hidden a little. He saw the light flash on and looked at his water temp and it was just about 210. He told me that it was at 205, and he has done 3 686 or greater upgrades on 3 of the Rhinos he has owned.
You may be right, but the water temp gauge and that light going on each time just before 210 shows that is is at 205.
Maybe it changed from 2005 to 2006?

wsuwrhr
11-28-2006, 08:11 PM
The one my buddy has on his, think it is a 2006, he also has a water temp gauge but it is hidden a little. He saw the light flash on and looked at his water temp and it was just about 210. He told me that it was at 205, and he has done 3 686 or greater upgrades on 3 of the Rhinos he has owned.
You may be right, but the water temp gauge and that light going on each time just before 210 shows that is is at 205.
Maybe it changed from 2005 to 2006?
I don't know the years of the Rhinos in question.
I started the thread just to let everyone know.
Brian

Rexone
11-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Lunchtime.
Brian
Glad I missed lunch.

wsuwrhr
11-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Glad I missed lunch.
Good news Rexie.
I have always heard you can "recycle" your urine at least twice before it becomes too concentrated.
Just something to think about in case you ever need to know.
Brian

wsuwrhr
11-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Glad I missed lunch.
BTW,
Thanks for pissing all over my thread.
:rollside: :rollside:
Brian

Magic34
11-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Good news Rexie.
I have always heard you can "recycle" your urine at least twice before it becomes too concentrated.
Just something to think about in case you ever need to know.
Brian
In college, rumor was that at least 1 now-pro athlete(football) that drinks his own piss to retain the nutrients.
I'd rather be fat.