PDA

View Full Version : Whipple HP525 EFI Supercharger Kit ?

No Name
11-18-2006, 11:50 AM
IÂ’m considering doing a whipple charger on my 525. Looks like a simple job but I just donÂ’t want any problems with it after I do the install. Has anyone here done one and if so howÂ’s it working out?

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
11-18-2006, 11:57 AM
IÂ’m considering doing a whipple charger on my 525. Looks like a simple job but I just donÂ’t want any problems with it after I do the install. Has anyone here done one and if so howÂ’s it working out?
I was going to do the same with my 500's but it's a turn ket boat and I decided not to F with it, but keep me posted on the progress

Pussywhippled
11-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Whatever you think it's going to cost triple it and you'll be fine.

Keith E. Sayre
11-18-2006, 12:21 PM
those whipple kits if properly installed make about 700 hp+
in real terms, as a reference point only, they will give our
28 foot triple sponsoned deckboats about 16 mph if installed properly. there's a retired guy here in town that
does alot of them for boaters, his name is Bernie Van Kampen. Used to work with Art Whipple , he's a great machinist and he can install them and set them up right.
I have his number if anyone wants it. When installed
properly, they are as close to turn key as a high performance boat motor can be . they work well.
run good quality pump 92 gas minimum and change
your oil twice as often as usual. you'll love it.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400

SHAKEN Not Stirred
11-18-2006, 12:37 PM
I saw Aaron at Absolute do one over the Summer.....Nice set-up.....
You're going to need a few other items....sea strainer for the intercooler and such....
Give Aaron a call.....928-855-2252....
Later,
CJG
:)

ECeptor
11-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Is the Whipple really that much of an improvement over the supercharger that's already on the 525? Seems like it would be a poor $$$/hp investment.

Keith E. Sayre
11-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Eceptor: the 525 that we're referring to is the NEW 525
that's been out for about 4 years. it's a 502 with alum
heads and efi and is not blown or turboed. Quite possibly
you are referring to the old "525 " package from Merc that
was discontinued about 6 or 7 years ago? it was a 454 with a small blower on it that also made about 525 hp.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

playdeep
11-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Just curious,do you already have hydraulic steering?
If not,you're probably gonna need it.
Also gonna have to go to a larger prop,so figure that into the equasion...

Pussywhippled
11-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Just curious,do you already have hydraulic steering?
If not,you're probably gonna need it.
Also gonna have to go to a larger prop,so figure that into the equasion...
Outdrive, Steering, Fuel System, Boost Guage, Etc... Oh yeah and the Whipple to begin with.
Like I said... Triple it...

jojoshow
11-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Yeah just do it. LOL!!!!So I take it your going to keep it??? I know that my friend wants to do it to his Cobra with 525, but don't know if he has done it yet. I'll let you know when he does. see ya round bro.
Joel.

Pussywhippled
11-18-2006, 02:46 PM
I just made an addition to my signature. It's a quote and I had to share it again with everyone. Two words bother me in this quote "simple" and "I". If only life was really that easy...

BadKachina
11-18-2006, 03:24 PM
I just made an addition to my signature. It's a quote and I had to share it again with everyone. Two words bother me in this quote "simple" and "I". If only life was really that easy...
For most that might be a tough job but no-name was a mechanic forever and would have no problems installing a Whipple. He's already got full hydraulic steering. I would recommend a fuel pressure guage and a pyrometer, that's easy enough. You just have to have a bung welded in your headers. The XR is at best the minimum drive needed, a B-Max or Imco 4x4/1000 would be a better choice. I personally wouldn't ruin a 525 with a Whipple, build a tall deck and throw one on real blower motor and save the 525 in case you kill the other motor.

No Name
11-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Outdrive, Steering, Fuel System, Boost Guage, Etc... Oh yeah and the Whipple to begin with.
Like I said... Triple it...
IÂ’m not really that worried about the cost, just wanted to know if anyone else has done it and how the engine was holding up. As far as the simple and IÂ…Â…itÂ’s like BadKachina ( AKA Paul ) said, donÂ’t think that will be a problem.
But thanks for your concern Pussywhippled. :D :D

Pussywhippled
11-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Kachina, not being an ass, that sounds great...
But I happen to know plenty of "professional marine mechanics" as i'm sure you know too, that charge dearly for their services and still can't get the Whipple's right. They do this everyday and it's still trial and error. Been there and paid for it as well with time and cash.
It's just funny when it's put in the context of "It looks like a simple job". and "After I do the install".
Tell both Teagues, The Phaff, Tyler Crockett, Etc. and my mechanic Larry Peto it's a simple job, maybe they will discount their services to everyone then. The "simple jobs" that I get done aren't cheap for some reason.
This is not directed as a bashing to No-Name because I don't know him but...
Maybe i'm the only sucker in boating.

No Name
11-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Option # 2Â….....And yes I will do the install.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/308712407.jpg

BadKachina
11-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Kachina, not being an ass, that sounds great...
But I happen to know plenty of "professional marine mechanics" as i'm sure you know too, that charge dearly for their services and still can't get the Whipple's right. They do this everyday and it's still trial and error. Been there and paid for it as well with time and cash.
It's just funny when it's put in the context of "It looks like a simple job". and "After I do the install".
Tell both Teagues, The Phaff, Tyler Crockett, Etc. and my mechanic Larry Peto it's a simple job, maybe they will discount their services to everyone then. The "simple jobs" that I get done aren't cheap for some reason.
This is not directed as a bashing to No-Name because I don't know him but...
Maybe i'm the only sucker in boating.
I would agree on most cases, but isn't the 525 kit supposed to come with everything including the new computer and programs? The nuts and bolts part of it is what I'm saying he's capable of. As long as the kit comes properly programmed it should just be plug and play. The reason I would recommend the pyro is so you'll know right away if you're running too lean. Anything over 1200 deg and you'll be doing a head job at minimum. Fuel pressure is just piece of mind. I ran an Aeromotive pump, and adjustable bypass regulator so I could dial my fuel pressure in. That fuel system alone is an extra 1500 dollars..... That a long with my pyro has made my motor last (knock on wood). Check the Hot-Boat issue from two months ago about fuel pressure, that's my motor that and fuel system that Timm and I set up. Actually I set it up, Timm did some maching to my fuel cooler and made a nice little article about it. Since the only guy with a computer that can reprogram efi's in Phoenix is AZSM, I'm working with another Hot Boat guy who wants to make the investment in the program, software and hardware so we can offer an alternative to them.

Pussywhippled
11-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Option # 2Â….....And yes I will do the install.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/308712407.jpg
Wow !!! No-Name now thats a nice motor, but still a dodge? Right?
Anyways, well the complete truth is that I'm just jealous and wish I had that much disposible income to throw around.
There I said it for everyone to hear (or read) I'm really a poser... Yes it hurts but I'll make it in life someday or somehow.
Install away...
Wait... I just had an idea. What if you got the Ilmor and put a Whipple on it.
Now that's the ticket...

No Name
11-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Wow !!! No-Name now thats a nice motor, but still a dodge? Right?
Anyways, well the complete truth is that I'm just jealous and wish I had that much disposible income to throw around.
There I said it for everyone to hear (or read) I'm really a poser... Yes it hurts but I'll make it in life someday or somehow.
Install away...
Wait... I just had an idea. What if you got the Ilmor and put a Whipple on it.
Now that's the ticket...
Bro.....if I had a lot of money I would own a Skater and not a Kachina. I was just looking into getting some more speed out of my sled.
No baller here.

INSman
11-18-2006, 06:12 PM
The 525 is a good motor and a great motor with an added Whipple. Get in touch with Gary Taylor (TPI) here on the boards and he can even take care of the install for you, not to mention that I think he has one of these kits for sale at present.
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?t=133484

ECeptor
11-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Eceptor: the 525 that we're referring to is the NEW 525
that's been out for about 4 years. it's a 502 with alum
heads and efi and is not blown or turboed. Quite possibly
you are referring to the old "525 " package from Merc that
was discontinued about 6 or 7 years ago? it was a 454 with a small blower on it that also made about 525 hp.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
You nailed it! I asked that very question to someone the other day and they said all 525's were SC'd 454s...that's what I get for believing them! Thanks for the info.