PDA

View Full Version : Villaraigosa issues veto of $2.7-million settlement with firefighter

Roxysnow
11-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa today issued the first veto of his administration, striking down the City Council's approval of a lawsuit settlement that would pay $2.7 million to a firefighter who claimed he was a victim of discrimination and harassment.
"I'm deeply troubled by the allegations raised here," Villaraigosa said during a televised news conference. But taxpayers have a right to demand a reexamination" in light of new information regarding the incident.
The veto sends a stern rebuke to both the Council -- which voted for the settlement 11-1 -- and to City Atty. Rocky Delgadillo, whose office negotiated the deal. The city firefighter, who is black, had sued upon discovering that during a firehouse dinner he had been fed spaghetti sauce containing dog food.
The size of the settlement unleashed a torrent of public criticism, particularly after photos of the victim -- participating in a series of firehouse pranks -- were posted on the website of a popular radio talk show.
The fallout included heightened racial tensions in the fire department, already the subject of a highly-critical audit earlier this year, and spotlighted a culture of hazing and horseplay. Along with his veto, the mayor decried harassment and outlined a new anti-hazing policy for city employees.
Although the fire department has a "zero-tolerance" policy against hazing, department leaders say the system's quixotic discipline system has left them powerless to control the rank-and-file.
Villaraigosa said he also issued an executive directive banning hazing in all city departments.
"It's time to end this practice once for all, Villaraigosa said. "It's time to change the culture."
This shiat wouldn't happen if Firefighter actually worked! Haha! (I should have been a fireman!)

Havasu1986
11-21-2006, 12:34 PM
I think Yellowboat had something to do with this. :crossx:

phebus
11-21-2006, 12:39 PM
I think what they just did, was better than any hazing.
Here's 2.7 million.........................NOT
That's frickin hillarious :rollside:

Jbb
11-21-2006, 12:43 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860DamnPic.jpg

ratso
11-21-2006, 12:54 PM
That just made my day... :D

Keith E. Sayre
11-21-2006, 12:57 PM
But Phebus, that wasn't a nice thing to say at all...... think
about that young mans feelings for a moment. Maybe we
should send him some of those beatnik pants from the 70's
to wear so that everyone will know that he is in touch with
his inner child and has feelings too.....what do they call those goofy looking kids with no self esteem and strange
clothes that always hang out in the public eye's most popular places???? emo or something?
Keith Sayre

YeLLowBoaT
11-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Good. They need to throw that fooker in jail.

phebus
11-21-2006, 01:01 PM
They should have actually issued him a check, but put a stop payment on it. That would have been great.
I hope when he found out he was getting a settlement, he went out and and bought a new car or house.
I would love to meet that guy, so I could bust his balls. Easy target now.

SUI-CY-COLE
11-21-2006, 01:03 PM
great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4day!!
11-21-2006, 05:47 PM
thank god villa had the balls to veto it.?The only problem is now it will got to court and end up costing the taxpayers even more. Oh well i would rather they spend $5mil in the courtroom than to give that piece of chit, wining, no good, panty waste a phucking penny. :rollside:

DCBob
11-21-2006, 05:56 PM
thank god villa had the balls to veto it.?The only problem is now it will got to court and end up costing the taxpayers even more. Oh well i would rather they spend $5mil in the courtroom than to give that piece of chit, wining, no good, panty waste a phucking penny. :rollside:
Got to stop this bullshit. Cudos to da mayor. And all the dum asses that had anything to do with the negotiations that led up to the settlement should be fired also. Stewards of the taxpayers money.......Righttttt :yuk:

YeLLowBoaT
11-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Got to stop this bullshit. Cudos to da mayor. And all the dum asses that had anything to do with the negotiations that led up to the settlement should be fired also. Stewards of the taxpayers money.......Righttttt :yuk:
i agree.

blackcloud75
11-21-2006, 05:59 PM
As Michael Richards aka Kramer would say........."they need to hang him" :)
I bet now Mayor Villaraigosa is going to get the race card tossed his way from Jackson and Sharpton.......the whole thing is going to get ugly. I feel sorry for the residents and employees of Los Angeles.

11-21-2006, 06:05 PM
First thing I thought about was all the firefighters that have died in the line of duty. And this ninny wants 2.7 million because they fed him dog food. Hell dog food dont taste so bad.

blackcloud75
11-21-2006, 06:07 PM
This shiat wouldn't happen if Firefighter actually worked! Haha! (I should have been a fireman!)
Now that was funny :) ..........you sound like my chick until one shift I started calling her after each alarm, she told me to f-off after the 17th alarm by 11 pm that shift. I was hoping she would've enjoyed the 5 more calls between midnight and 6am :crossx:

little rowe boat
11-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Now that was funny :) ..........you sound like my chick until one shift I started calling her after each alarm, she told me to f-off after the 17th alarm by 11 pm that shift. I was hoping she would've enjoyed the 5 more calls between midnight and 6am :crossx:
I did the same thing to a buddy of mine. The next time I saw him he apologized and his wife called me an asshole. I guess I woke her up also.

RT21
11-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Wow, 22 fires in one shift? I had no idea you guys were that busy. Keep up the good work.

HavasuSelect
11-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Wow, 22 fires in one shift? I had no idea you guys were that busy. Keep up the good work.
They aren't always fires. Mostly medical emergencies and things of that nature.

blackcloud75
11-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Fires?????????????Maybe 8-9 fire type calls(food-on-the-stove, car fires, structure responses), nothing memorable besides the f-bomb from momma. The rest were just people utilizing the 911 system for private medical services like bloody noses, the flu, things that require services from personal physicians. I am sure there were a few legitimate medical responses during that day.

Family4Day
11-21-2006, 08:17 PM
How many of you guys remember probation? Every shift you spent trying to learn the ropes, the guys spent the same amount of time dreaming up another way to make your bedding wet! Believe me, I still use some of those today! This guy is looking for a quick pay out and he almost got away with it. I read he was also going to be given continued salary thru next year and retire with a 30 year pension. That is a slap in the face to not only us, but the citizens paying our salaries. If a little dog food is worth 2.7 million, I wonder what cock shaped meatloaf is worth? I have an engineer that giggles with joy everytime he puts that on the table. He has the shape down a little too good though! Stay safe out there guys, hopefully your off for the Holidays!
Todd

phebus
11-21-2006, 08:20 PM
I wonder what cock shaped meatloaf is worth? I have an engineer that giggles with joy everytime he puts that on the table. He has the shape down a little too good though! Stay safe out there guys, hopefully your off for the Holidays!
Todd
We had a guy that would make that, but he would put white cheese in the middle, and we called it Cum Loaf. Classic.................. :rollside:

FlatStupid
11-21-2006, 08:30 PM
You guys are definately on a roll tonite. Blacks and firemen. My stepdad was killed fighting a fire in San Pedro. The job is a piece of cake until it kills ya! A lot like W's military service.You dont know shit until you have been there. Oh thats right you own a boat and you know it all! :p

4DAY4PLAY
11-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Which OCFA unit runs 22 calls a day???? didnt know they had that busy of a unit. I know 22's is busy, but its got 3 units sharing the load. Maybe it was just an abnormaly busy day. Now LAFD and even LACoFD have units that avg 20+ a day. Just curious.

blackcloud75
11-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Which OCFA unit runs 22 calls a day???? didnt know they had that busy of a unit. I know 22's is busy, but its got 3 units sharing the load. Maybe it was just an abnormaly busy day. Now LAFD and even LACoFD have units that avg 20+ a day. Just curious.
No OCFA for me, bunch of good brothers(and board members) work there..........
I am in East LACo.

4DAY4PLAY
11-21-2006, 10:44 PM
I am in East LACo.
oh....sorry bro thought you were OCFA. Thanks.

blackcloud75
11-21-2006, 10:55 PM
oh....sorry bro thought you were OCFA. Thanks.
No worries..........where do you work?

HavasuSelect
11-22-2006, 06:58 AM
I am in East LACo.
Bn. 15?

Dan Lorenze
11-22-2006, 07:11 AM
I'd eat dog food for much less.....

98 Vector 21
11-22-2006, 07:16 AM
Very well put....I have a new respect for Mr, Villa...

SnakeWrench
11-22-2006, 07:51 AM
The Mayor has some balls. Thank God. I am so friggin sick and tired of all these friggin people getting offended and throwing the race BS around. It was ok for him to prank others, AS THE PHOTOS SHOW, but when someone fires back on him, than it's a racist issue? That my friends is proof that the racist is HIM! Most of you that know me know that I have two half black children that I love more than life itself, so I get to hear this stuff all the time, not from my kids, but from everyone else. In my book, the guy should get shafted for throwing his buddies under the bus. You deal with things INSIDE the department. And why the hell does he think that he deserves 2.5 Million dollars for eating dog food. Hell, dog food is more than likely better for him than the crap he was going to eat later that night anyway.
And don't even get me started on the other issues floating around. The religious BS. That one is another world all together.
If you don't like something someone said to you or about you, be an adult and settle the differances, or IGNORE them and GET OVER IT! Don't file a lawsuit. This world has turned into a bunch of woosies and am sick of crap like this. Thank you Mayor, you are the man!