PDA

View Full Version : CHP chief charged with off-duty DUI

Phat Matt
11-21-2006, 03:04 PM
What are the chances of these house guest coming back over for dinner? :jawdrop:
Article Launched:11/21/2006 12:00:00 AM PST
The assistant chief of the California Highway Patrol's Inland Division in San Bernardino is facing charges of driving under the influence of alcohol, officials said Monday.
Michael Maples, 58, was arrested by his own CHP officers at his home in Reche Canyon about 11:15 p.m. Thursday after failing a field sobriety test, said Capt. Sharon Baker, commander of the CHP's Riverside field office.
Maples was off duty and returning home when he pulled into his driveway, lost control of his department-issued 2005 Ford Crown Victoria and crashed it into a car parked in his driveway, Baker said.
The car Maples crashed into belonged to someone who was visiting at his home, and that unnamed person was the one who called police to report the crash, Baker said.
Maples, who could not be reached for comment Monday, was cited and released from custody following his arrest. The case will be submitted to the Riverside County District Attorney's Office for review, Baker said.
No injuries were reported, she said.
Maples has been assistant chief of the CHP's Inland Division in San Bernardino for the past five years. The Inland Division covers the largest area of the CHP's eight divisions statewide,
spanning 50,000 square miles in San Bernardino and Riverside counties, and a slice of Kern County.CHP Sgt. Eric Phipps would not disclose Maples' employment status, citing the Peace Officer's Bill of Rights and that the matter was a confidential personnel matter.
By law, vehicle collisions that occur on private property are handled civilly between private parties, and law enforcement is precluded from getting involved. If, however, they involve reckless driving or someone possibly driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, it becomes a matter for police, Phipps said.
Contact writer Joe Nelson at (909) 386-3887 or via e-mail at joe.nelson@sbsun.com.

Kilrtoy
11-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Thats some balls right there, ARREST YOUR OWN BOSS......

NOTALENT
11-21-2006, 03:12 PM
wow...yup balls....and someone staying in your own house calling the police knowing who he was??? Damn....kick them the fock out!

boatnam2
11-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Thats some balls right there, ARREST YOUR OWN BOSS......
dont think hes going to be the boss to long.

phebus
11-21-2006, 03:23 PM
That says something about the guy, when house guests call the law on him. Must have been a real jewel to deal with.

superdave013
11-21-2006, 03:23 PM
wow...yup balls....and someone staying in your own house calling the police knowing who he was??? Damn....kick them the fock out!
it was prolly some 17 year old flatbiller that just banged his daughter. :D
LMAO

Beer-30
11-21-2006, 03:36 PM
That says something about the guy, when house guests call the law on him. Must have been a real jewel to deal with.
He probably called on himself. If he just calls, and deals with it, he will keep his job. If he tried to cover up the dept ride being damaged another way and got caught - he'd lose his job, retirement, benefits. He probably made the call.

YeLLowBoaT
11-21-2006, 03:54 PM
There is some one that needs to be fired. They will most likly just force him to retire.

RitcheyRch
11-21-2006, 03:56 PM
As odd as it sounds it does make a lot of sense.
He probably called on himself. If he just calls, and deals with it, he will keep his job. If he tried to cover up the dept ride being damaged another way and got caught - he'd lose his job, retirement, benefits. He probably made the call.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Very hypocritical on his part.....Helluva way to throw away what was probably a very rewarding career.....

YeLLowBoaT
11-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Very hypocritical on his part.....Helluva way to throw away what was probably a very rewarding career.....
he had to be making over 100k a year+ full bennies and killer retirement...He just shot himself in the foot.
IMO he should lose all of that. Here is your last check and your pink slip, you have 30 mins to clean out your office.

blackcloud75
11-21-2006, 05:11 PM
he had to be making over 100k a year+ full bennies and killer retirement...He just shot himself in the foot.
IMO he should lose all of that. Here is your last check and your pink slip, you have 30 mins to clean out your office.
Here we go w/ your opinions again............He did phuck up, he does need to be disciplined(demotion,forced retirement,tremination) for his mistake but withdrawl of his benefits I would disagree. He earned his years on and at 58 y/o I bet he retired 10 minutes after posting bail.

Phat Al
11-21-2006, 05:13 PM
What goes around comes around

John.
11-21-2006, 05:16 PM
He probably shouldn't have been cruising around off duty in his department issued car...
kinda sucks though. I'd hate to be the guy who had to arrest his boss.

acatitude
11-21-2006, 05:22 PM
probably his wifes boyfriend that called cuzz he crashed into his car when he came home early, lol....... yea losing your bennies and retirement are a little harsh... wouldnt happen if you were a carpenter or plumber so why should he lose his. and being the cap he aint out writing tickets just a paper pusher anyways . so heres the other side of the coin wheres the popcorn.

acatitude
11-21-2006, 05:23 PM
hey Jon which one was nadia in that pic about the dogs you didnt make that real clear :rollside: :rollside:

chub
11-21-2006, 05:27 PM
There is some one that needs to be fired. They will most likly just force him to retire.
Buddy can't have a cocktail. Please! :mad:

YeLLowBoaT
11-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Buddy can't have a cocktail. Please! :mad:
you can drink all you want, but to drive drunk in a state owned car...let me ask you this, what would happen to you if you drove a company car drunk and got in a wreck?

YeLLowBoaT
11-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Here we go w/ your opinions again............He did phuck up, he does need to be disciplined(demotion,forced retirement,tremination) for his mistake but withdrawl of his benefits I would disagree. He earned his years on and at 58 y/o I bet he retired 10 minutes after posting bail.
I know in MY union, if you are booted, you don't get a dime back of what you put inthe fund... why should it be any diffrent here? Alot of places have a policy that if your booted for a crimal act. you lose all money in your retirement fund that was not placed in there by you.
Since this directly effects my tax dallors you can bet I will email, fax and mostlikly leave a message for the head of the CHP explaing my feelings and what should happen to him. in fact, I'll draft a letter right now to send to him. I already let the local fire cheif know my feelings about hazing... I actually got a nice email back from his office( most likly from his secratary)
I am pretty sure they will just let( or force) him retire...They should atleast fire his ass and make him pay for the car, but that we all know that won't happen.
I have every right to my opinion, he is being paid with MY money, it might as well came strait from my check book. It always cracks me up how some civil service works don't understand, that I sign the check... I get a say in what goes on. If you don't like that, get out of civil service.

blackcloud75
11-21-2006, 06:22 PM
I know in MY union, if you are booted, you don't get a dime back of what you put inthe fund... why should it be any diffrent here? Alot of places have a policy that if your booted for a crimal act. you lose all money in your retirement fund that was not placed in there by you.
Since this directly effects my tax dallors you can bet I will email, fax and mostlikly leave a message for the head of the CHP explaing my feelings and what should happen to him. in fact, I'll draft a letter right now to send to him. I already let the local fire cheif know my feelings about hazing... I actually got a nice email back from his office( most likly from his secratary)
I am pretty sure they will just let( or force) him retire...They should atleast fire his ass and make him pay for the car, but that we all know that won't happen.
I have every right to my opinion, he is being paid with MY money, it might as well came strait from my check book. It always cracks me up how some civil service works don't understand, that I sign the check... I get a say in what goes on. If you don't like that, get out of civil service.
Obvious, you don't pay my check. As well, your union is not a "union" more like a fellowship. Unions are established to protect working conditions, wage, and employee rights which sounds like yours may have limited benefit. I would be interested to educate myself on the type of union in which you pay dues. Or even the profession which welcome such an association. Your obviously are not employed by the state of California. State employees are responsible(financially) for accidents occurred negligently while operating state property(criminal/non-criminal acts).

11-21-2006, 06:24 PM
you can drink all you want, but to drive drunk in a state owned car...let me ask you this, what would happen to you if you drove a company car drunk and got in a wreck?
Come on, you've never been so drunk you dint care WHAT car you got into?

slink
11-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Cory, this was obviously some type of CHP hazing or initiation going on. Shiat, he was probably out with his bosses getting loaded and they forced him to drive home. Too bad he aint a minority or He'd probably be offered a 3 million $$$$ settlement :)

11-21-2006, 06:28 PM
I also wanted to say, YELLOWBOAT thats one sexy turkey!

YeLLowBoaT
11-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Obvious, you don't pay my check. As well, your union is not a "union" more like a fellowship. Unions are established to protect working conditions, wage, and employee rights which sounds like yours may have limited benefit. I would be interested to educate myself on the type of union in which you pay dues. Or even the profession which welcome such an association. Your obviously are not employed by the state of California. State employees are responsible(financially) for accidents occurred negligently while operating state property(criminal/non-criminal acts).
Its a trade union, they protect working condtion, wages and what tools you can and can not use( not near as strickly as b4). Basicly by being a member it means you know what your doing and you get X ammount a hour to do job Y. I also get my INS and bond thru them( saves me about 25%)
The fact that the state pays for the damage rather or not your on the clock or not is exactly my point...
I mean when I make a mistake or brake the law it cost me money( or my livly hood.. I would hope that some one paid by me( yes you are paid by me) would be "man" enough to stand up and take responsibility for thier actions. If the officer would be man enought to stand up quit, offer to repay the damages and not try to collect a pension, I would respect the man for takeing responsibility for his actions.
Thats one of the big probs with the world today, no one wants to stand up and take some responsibility.

YeLLowBoaT
11-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Come on, you've never been so drunk you dint care WHAT car you got into?
Yes I have, I will not get behind the wheel if I have had so much as one drink in the last 4 hours. I have lost way to many freinds to drunk drivers, besides I could not live with myself if I killed some one.

blackcloud75
11-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Its a trade union, they protect working condtion, wages and what tools you can and can not use( not near as strickly as b4). Basicly by being a member it means you know what your doing and you get X ammount a hour to do job Y. I also get my INS and bond thru them( saves me about 25%)
The fact that the state pays for the damage rather or not your on the clock or not is exactly my point...
I mean when I make a mistake or brake the law it cost me money( or my livly hood.. I would hope that some one paid by me( yes you are paid by me) would be "man" enough to stand up and take responsibility for thier actions. If the officer would be man enought to stand up quit, offer to repay the damages and not try to collect a pension, I would respect the man for takeing responsibility for his actions.
Thats one of the big probs with the world today, no one wants to stand up and take some responsibility.
As far as your persistances on paying my paycheck, you must educate yourself the difference between different forms of city/community governments. Many public servants are employed by a "district" and receive no funds from CA. Just citizens/customers who pay bonds and Public Safety taxes who live within those boundaries. I do agree with your statement on accountability issues in today's society. If you have any questions feel free to PM the city in which you reside and I can directly forward information on how your money is spent in your neighborhood. If you do live in my employed city, I will hand deliver my paycheck stub and MOU for your reference.
BC75

YeLLowBoaT
11-21-2006, 07:15 PM
not all of the money that pays firemen comes from the local gov. some is federal and some is state.

GHT
11-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Just goes to prove, even cops are regular people..... Everyone is a saint about drinking and driving..... Until they get caught.... Or, they become saints, Once they are caught.... WTF??? :cool: