PDA

View Full Version : WTF? NO TV FOR BRONCOS vs CHIEFS

Not So Fast
11-23-2006, 08:13 AM
I dont see the game listed?? The paper says the NFL network, didn't know they had a network but this SUCKS BIGTIME. I read somewhere that they were having trouble getting some of the big networks to sign an agreement so I guess we all lose, this is a big game for both teams. DICKHEADS :mad: NSF

slink
11-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Log on at 5, I'll keep you posted :) That is if Im not sound asleep from all the Turkey

racecar.hotshoe
11-23-2006, 08:15 AM
"Go Chiefs" :p :p

squirt'nmyload
11-23-2006, 08:19 AM
that sucks!!!! no problems with directv

framer1
11-23-2006, 08:19 AM
I dont see the game listed?? The paper says the NFL network, didn't know they had a network but this SUCKS BIGTIME. I read somewhere that they were having trouble getting some of the big networks to sign an agreement so I guess we all lose, this is a big game for both teams. DICKHEADS :mad: NSF
Total bull$hit :mad: I'm on charter cable, I can't get it even if I wanted to pay for it. NFL taking care of their fans....Yea right.....Aholes

slink
11-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Total bull$hit :mad: I'm on charter cable, I can't get it even if I wanted to pay for it. NFL taking care of their fans....Yea right.....Aholes
What is the major problem? I assume it has to do with $$$$, but who is at fault? cable companies or NFL

racecar.hotshoe
11-23-2006, 08:24 AM
If you dont have NFL Network just come to my house the game will be on. :p

framer1
11-23-2006, 08:25 AM
What is the major problem? I assume it has to do with $$$$, but who is at fault? cable companies or NFL
That's a good point but either way I don't get to see the game today. It always has to do with money :cry:

framer1
11-23-2006, 08:26 AM
If you dont have NFL Network just come to my house the game will be on. :p
That's a long haul from Paso Robles :) I still may be there though :idea: Everybody have a great thanksgiving.

racecar.hotshoe
11-23-2006, 08:31 AM
That's a long haul from Paso Robles :) I still may be there though :idea: Everybody have a great thanksgiving.
Back at cha!And be safe

JetBoatRich
11-23-2006, 08:35 AM
Looking forward to watching Direct tonight :cool:

racecar.hotshoe
11-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Good morning Rich.Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.Go Chiefs :rolleyes: :p

Not So Fast
11-23-2006, 08:40 AM
So then you are saying Direct TV has it on, JBR? do they charge you for the individual game or is it a NFL package? No matter what its just BULLSHIT. NSF

JetBoatRich
11-23-2006, 08:42 AM
So then you are saying Direct TV has it on, JBR? do they charge you for the individual game or is it a NFL package? No matter what its just BULLSHIT. NSF
Tonights game is part of basic, I forget which channel :rolleyes: I believe somehwere around channel 215 :cool:

racecar.hotshoe
11-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Its free with Direct tv..If you have the sports package.

Not So Fast
11-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Tonights game is part of basic, I forget which channel :rolleyes: I believe somehwere around channel 215 :cool:
Well then maybe it's time to make the switch. The picture quality on NPG cable up here sucks, it has improved over the last 5 years but it is not as good as it should be and as for HD they charge you $24.95 for 6 channels of which ESPN and Discover are all that I would watch. Rural living has it's drawbacks. NSF

JetBoatRich
11-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Well then maybe it's time to make the switch. The picture quality on NPG cable up here sucks, it has improved over the last 5 years but it is not as good as it should be and as for HD they charge you $24.95 for 6 channels of which ESPN and Discover are all that I would watch. Rural living has it's drawbacks. NSF
let me know, I know some people at direct :rolleyes:

Havasu_Dreamin
11-23-2006, 09:08 AM
212 on Direct Tv.....NFL Network has been free on Direct Tv since the channel started.

Jordan_23_85205
11-23-2006, 09:12 AM
It's on 162 and 719 HD on Cox. Oh yeah it's free on Cox.

slink
11-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Just heard a news report on this issue. NFL says it will provide the channel to all cable Co's as long as they provide it as part of the "basic" program package, basically free. The cable co's want to charge up to $10 per month as a premium channel. NFL said "Nope". So it sounds like its the cable companies that are trying to make more $$$$

Havasu_Dreamin
11-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Just heard a news report on this issue. NFL says it will provide the channel to all cable Co's as long as they provide it as part of the "basic" program package, basically free. The cable co's want to charge up to $10 per month as a premium channel. NFL said "Nope". So it sounds like its the cable companies that are trying to make more $$$$
Not according to ESPN.com. The NFL is not completely innocent in this.....
Reprinted without the permission of ESPN
Wednesday, November 22, 2006
Chiefs and Broncos on TV? Only for some
The NFL Network's first broadcast of a regular-season game -- the Denver Broncos vs. the Kansas City Chiefs, at 8 p.m. ET -- will be available to only about 40 million of the nation's 95 million homes with cable TV or satellite dishes. The network is at loggerheads with major cable operators, who've balked at its demands for a big fee hike and a spot on basic cable.
At Comcast, the nation's biggest cable operator (24 million subscribers), the network is available only to customers who pay for premium digital service. No. 2 operator Time Warner Cable (13.5 million subscribers) doesn't carry the NFL Network at all. Among the other top-five cable systems, Charter Communications and Cablevision don't carry the network, either, and Cox Communications relegates it to a premium "sports and information" digital tier.
What gives? The NFL has long had its way in TV matters. Broadcast and cable networks repeatedly have agreed to whopping hikes in rights fees -- a 53 percent jump in the latest round of deals, reaping $3.7 billion a year for the league. But in this case, the NFL met stiff opposition after its three-year-old network announced plans to televise eight Thursday and Saturday night games this season.
The network told cable operators it would have to hike its per-subscriber fee from about 20 cents to 70 cents. The cable operators told the network to take a hike.
"That fee would put them in the top five of our network providers," says Mark Harrad, a spokesman for Time Warner Cable. "We feel that's way out of whack."
This sort of standoff isn't unusual in the cable television industry. Six years ago, for instance, Time Warner and Disney went through a long, public stare-down over rights fees before coming to terms. In most cases, cable operators eventually find a way to make a deal with providers of valuable content. Steve Bornstein, chief of the NFL Network and former president of ESPN, knows how this game is played and won.
But this is a particularly rugged skirmish. The NFL Network has sued Comcast over the cable company's plans to put the network on a premium-priced sports tier in systems acquired from Time Warner and Adelphia. The network also is embroiled in litigation with Charter Communications. The third-largest cable operator (5.9 million subscribers) signed on as the NFL Network's first big cable provider in January 2004, but the network hasn't been on Charter since December 2005 because of a basic-versus-premium dispute.
The NFL Network's insistence on a presence on basic cable goes to the heart of cable TV economics. ESPN, for example, is a cable network that all systems carry on basic. That means ESPN can collect a fee for every cable subscriber, not just those who choose to watch ESPN. The NFL Network wants that kind of a deal, rather than one that confines it to a premium tier with far fewer subscribers. By being on basic, the network also can command more for advertising, based on the larger number of viewers.
There's some further history. The cable operators feel the NFL has favored their satellite TV rivals by awarding them the popular "Sunday Ticket" package. (If not for DIRECTV and Dish Network, which account for about two-thirds of the NFL Network's exposure, its subscriber base would be even skimpier.) Comcast reportedly bid on the package of eight games, only to have the NFL Network decide to keep them for itself. Moreover, the increased cost of sports programming was already pushing cable rates upward, making the NFL Network's grasp particularly unwelcome.
"The NFL is trying to force cable companies to charge many consumers for programming they don't want," says David Cohen, a Comcast executive vice president, in a statement. "Sports programming fees are out of control in general, and the NFL programming is very expensive."
Seth Palansky, a spokesman for the NFL Network, argues that these are not stiff fees and this is not niche fare, to be consigned to the systems' premium channels. To the contrary, he maintains the NFL is TV's most valuable programming and says the cable operators will come around when the games start airing and subscribers start complaining.
"It's 2006, and [for fans] not to be able to see a live NFL game should not be a reality," Palansky says. "The big guys like to feel some serious pain before they're reasonable."
The NFL Network has been trying to apply public pressure to the operators for some time. Its Web site includes an "I want NFL Network" page, telling fans how to express their wishes to their cable provider. So far, Time Warner's Harrad says he hasn't heard a "significant outcry from customers" about the network's absence from his company's systems. But he expects "we'll hear from more" once the games start on Thursday night.
John Mansell, a cable-TV analyst with Paul Kagan Associates, notes that the NFL Network's leverage is reduced by one significant factor: The Thursday and Saturday games still will be broadcast in the home markets of the teams involved. But he adds, "There will be pressure [on the cable operators] if there are really good games and high awareness."
The Denver-Kansas City game on Thursday night, for example, is a more compelling matchup than the two traditional Thanksgiving contests to be aired earlier in the day. The Broncos (7-3) and Chiefs (6-4) are AFC West Division rivals with winning records. Miami at Detroit (CBS, 12:30 p.m., ET) features a host team with a 2-8 record. Tampa Bay drags into Dallas for the 4:15 p.m. ET Fox game with a 3-7 mark.
Looking ahead, several other NFL Network games also have playoff implications. The Baltimore-Cincinnati game on Thursday, Nov. 30 matches the current Nos. 1 and 2 teams in the AFC North. The Thursday, Dec. 14 game also matches two teams -- San Francisco and Seattle -- currently running first and second in the NFC West.
The implications and interest level could greatly change in other late-season NFL Network games, too, depending on on-field developments. The Saturday, Dec. 16 game between Dallas (now 6-4) and Atlanta (now 5-5) could be meaningful or ho-hum, depending on the fortunes of those two teams between now and then.
Palansky claims the cable operators are coming around and want to make deals with the NFL Network now. But even if hostilities end between the network and the cable operators, nobody is predicting they'll be doing business in time for more fans to watch the inaugural portion of the network's eight-game run this season.

Not So Fast
11-23-2006, 11:02 AM
let me know, I know some people at direct :rolleyes:
Thanks JBR, My Daughter in law sort of runs the Santa Ana office I believe so maybe she can help me. Maybe the time has come, I hate to miss this game damnit! NSF

Hallett19
11-23-2006, 12:03 PM
F CHARTER !!!!!!!!!! :mad:
This is from their website:
Q. Why don’t you want to carry the NFL Network?
A. We want to carry the NFL Network – but in a way that best serves ALL of our customers. We have had discussions with the NFL Network and offered to carry the service on our Digital Sports Tier. The NFL Network has rejected our offer.
Q. Why have Charter and other major cable companies been unable to reach an agreement with the NFL Network?
A. Cable companies would like to carry the NFL Network on their Sports Tier, where football fans can receive this programming without requiring other customers who are not interested in football programming to pay additional costs. Unfortunately, the NFL Network wants to be carried on the Expanded Basic Tier, which would mean that a great deal of customers who are not football fans would have the cost of the service reflected in their monthly bills.
Q. The NFL Network says it wants these games to be available to cable subscribers. It doesn’t seem very customer friendly not to provide this programming to your customers.
A. This year, the NFL decided to keep eight games for its own network, which would require Charter and other cable companies to pay extra for these games. In past years, the NFL has offered these games to a broadcaster or a network that is distributed nationally. This means that this year TV viewers will not be able to see these eight games in many markets throughout the country. The NFL expects to get hundreds of millions of dollars from cable companies and their customers by putting this small group of games on the NFL Network, and unfortunately TV viewers will ultimately be picking up the tab.
Q. I was surprised and disheartened to see that NFL Network is not part of your package. There are a lot of us football fans out here, and I would think you would jump at the chance to include this network for your customers.
A. The NFL Network wants every customer, including non-football fans, to pay for these games on the NFL Network. In market areas that DO carry the NFL Network, they are asking for a 250 percent increase for only eight additional regular season games over six weeks - out of 256 games over a 17-week season. This is a very poor value proposition – even for football fans. We understand that you place a high priority on football games; however, Charter has many other customers who are not interested in football programming. Many of our customers tell us that they are not football fans and would choose not to have their cable bill increased in order to gain access to the NFL Network. We have asked the NFL Network to allow us to carry the NFL Network on a Sports Tier where football fans like you can watch it without requiring our other customers who are not football fans to pay higher costs. Unfortunately, the NFL Network will not allow Charter to carry it on a Sports Tier – they want to force nearly every customer to pay for it.
Q. Why can’t you make the NFL Network available on a Sports Tier and allow football fans to pay for it and not charge others who don’t want to see it?
A. A cable operator cannot make a decision like this by itself – it requires agreement by the programming supplier – in this case, the NFL Network, which has refused to make the programming available just to the customers who want to receive it.
Q. Why does Charter want to carry the NFL Network on a Sports Tier rather than on the Expanded Basic tier?
A. Charter offers several digital tiers that appeal to specific interests. We do this to give our customers options with regard to prices and programming choices. Choice is very important and it allows customers to maximize the value they receive for their money. However, offering channels by genre can only happen if the programming suppliers agree.
Q. So, will I not be able to receive the NFL football games I want to watch this season?
A. Charter offers a wide variety of sports programming on other channels, and a huge amount of football programming is available this season. The NFL owns the NFL Network and when the NFL decided to give this 8-game package to its own network, it was aware of the limited carriage of its service around the country. Even knowing that the NFL Network had limited distribution, the NFL made this choice and is now spending huge amounts of money in advertising to try to force operators into carriage under a deal with a value proposition that is not in the best interest of our customers.
Blow me !

Riomouse911
11-23-2006, 12:54 PM
I was a cable user for years: Comcast, Cox whatever they were from year to year. Booted them out, cut the wire from the house and got a dish 5 years ago and I'll never go back. IMO DirecTV is the way to go.

BajaMike
11-23-2006, 01:35 PM
It's on 162 and 719 HD on Cox. Oh yeah it's free on Cox.
Channel 162 and 719 don't show up on my Cox guide.....I have high def, and the other channels, but it skips from 718 to 721.
Does if show up in anyone else's Cox guide??
:idea:

Havasu1986
11-23-2006, 05:32 PM
KC 3 Den 0 in 1st

jbone
11-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Update???

burbanite
11-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Update???
The only update I have is already evident.... the NFL are a bunch of money grubbing pricks who are trying to strong arm the cable companies and me in return. And I say that as a football fan.....FOCK the NFL...

Tom Brown
11-26-2006, 07:16 PM
I watched that game on local access cable.

JetBoatRich
11-27-2006, 04:27 AM
May just have to head down to S.D. when they play the bolts :rolleyes:

jbone
11-27-2006, 04:30 AM
I just found out if you have COX digital, you get NFL Network on channel 332 for no additional price.
I missed the game and didn't have to.
J

Decided Advantage
11-27-2006, 04:40 AM
Actually it's greedy owners. Of course they want the citiies and states to build a new sadium every 10 years whether they need them or not.
The real solution is community owned teams like GB.
For now, I'd recommend spending your time watching racing.
BTW. I was in Denver/Colorado Springs for the holiday. The locals weren't real happy with situation after just popping for a new sadium for the Doncos. :crossx: