PDA

View Full Version : Street legal in CA?????

Parker
11-26-2006, 10:27 AM
I am trying to decide if I should buy a rhino, jeep, buggy, manx, etc...My trouble is with the rhino and the street legality of it in CA. We stay at a park on the CA side of the river and the people running it said that it could be run on the CA side of the river if it was licensed in CA. Has anyone gone about this to a rhino on the CA side?

djunkie
11-26-2006, 12:43 PM
AInt gonna happen. Some say its possible but the DMV laughed at me when I tried.

hoolign
11-26-2006, 12:46 PM
AInt gonna happen. Some say its possible but the DMV laughed at me when I tried.
So what'd they do when you actually asked them?
:p

djunkie
11-26-2006, 12:46 PM
So what'd they do when you actually asked them?
:p
The nice lady laughed and said "no it aint happening"

riverbound
11-26-2006, 12:55 PM
I am trying to decide if I should buy a rhino, jeep, buggy, manx, etc...My trouble is with the rhino and the street legality of it in CA. We stay at a park on the CA side of the river and the people running it said that it could be run on the CA side of the river if it was licensed in CA. Has anyone gone about this to a rhino on the CA side?
Go to www.blackrhinoperformance.com (forums) I know when I had mine there was a thread about some guy that found a loophole where a AZ registered vehicle could be driven in Ca. This was a while ago though. There has got to be a way to do this, and once I pick up another Rhino I will be looking into it again.

riverbound
11-26-2006, 12:55 PM
The nice lady laughed and said "no it aint happening"
maybe she thought you were asking her out on a date ;)

hoolign
11-26-2006, 12:57 PM
:crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

djunkie
11-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Have you been in a Ca. DMV and seen the women that work there? Even I couldn't degrade myself that bad. :crossx: :crossx:

riverbound
11-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Have you been in a Ca. DMV and seen the women that work there? Even I couldn't degrade myself that bad. :crossx: :crossx:
LOL....they have great personalities though :rolleyes:

djunkie
11-26-2006, 01:02 PM
LOL....they have great personalities though :rolleyes:
If you think so. :crossx: :crossx:

Fire Angler
11-26-2006, 01:10 PM
I had a 2 stroke golfcart I was able to get a ca plate for. I just told them I use it at a campgroung but I need a plate so I could cross the street. I filled out a smog exemption form, mailed it to Sacramento and in about 3 weeks, I was good to go. No turn signals, seat belts or windshield. Give it a try.

djunkie
11-26-2006, 01:25 PM
I had a 2 stroke golfcart I was able to get a ca plate for. I just told them I use it at a campgroung but I need a plate so I could cross the street. I filled out a smog exemption form, mailed it to Sacramento and in about 3 weeks, I was good to go. No turn signals, seat belts or windshield. Give it a try.
I'm sure that would work, but the first time you try cruising that thing on a real street the cops will pop you. Just cause the DMV gave the plate out doesn't mean its legal to drive on the street.

stoker
11-26-2006, 01:39 PM
I have CA plates on my Rhino. They are smog exempt because of the cc's and being single cylinder.

Fire Angler
11-26-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm sure that would work, but the first time you try cruising that thing on a real street the cops will pop you. Just cause the DMV gave the plate out doesn't mean its legal to drive on the street.
I picked up kids at the bus stop all of the time, where the cops are always sitting, they just smile.......
You can't drive it on the street with speed limits above 35 or 40.

Parker
11-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Stoker, did you just go to the DMV and ask for them, or is there some story I should have ready?

stoker
11-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Stoker, did you just go to the DMV and ask for them, or is there some story I should have ready?
Tell them it is smog exempt because it is less that 860 cc's and two cyclinders or less. I had to have it inspected by a smog referee. Take that paprerwork to the DMV, have them inspect for windshield, blinkers, horn and brake lights. It's a pain in the arse but well worth it. I use it on the streets all the time.

shadow
11-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Tell them it is smog exempt because it is less that 860 cc's and two cyclinders or less. I had to have it inspected by a smog referee. Take that paprerwork to the DMV, have them inspect for windshield, blinkers, horn and brake lights. It's a pain in the arse but well worth it. I use it on the streets all the time.
What city/county do you live in?

stoker
11-26-2006, 03:37 PM
What city/county do you live in?
Newport Beach/Costa Mesa

Parker
11-26-2006, 03:49 PM
thanks for the info, i'll give it a try.....

Garrddogg
11-26-2006, 03:54 PM
what about the tires are they DOT approved?

riverbound
11-26-2006, 04:13 PM
what about the tires are they DOT approved?
if that was the only hurdle it would be easy to change the tires out for BFG's like Wes did on his.

moneypit
11-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Street legal in calif?? KTM 525 exc :D

SUI-CY-COLE
11-26-2006, 05:04 PM
rhino would be cool to drive on the street until someone sees you,hahahahaahaaaa

Garrddogg
11-26-2006, 05:15 PM
if that was the only hurdle it would be easy to change the tires out for BFG's like Wes did on his.
thats why i was wondering if the dmv was a stickler on that?