PDA

View Full Version : car movie f-ups

cyclone
11-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Ever notice that whenever hollywood tries to make a movie in which a car or car culture is the centerpiece they inevitably screw the whole deal up (think fast n' furious)?
which ones stick out as the worst offenders to car lovers everywhere?
i'll start with something out of left field.
in 1985 there was a movie called My Science Project in which our hero, Michael, drove a late 60's GTO which had an amazing supercharger sticking out through the hood that he could turn on and off at the flick of a switch.
Fisher Stevens had this great line when the two were trying to haul ass "Hit the blower!" lol

Zaairman
11-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Bullitt, where the Charger loses 5 hubcaps.

upsman105
11-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Mad Max had a lever for the same thing.

work2play
11-26-2006, 08:50 PM
In the movie after sunset. They say the year of the suburban, the vin number they show is for a different year.

Jetaholic
11-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Gone In 60 Seconds...
C'mon now, is Nicholas Cage REALLY lucky enough to score with Angelina Jolie?:crossx:

moneypit
11-26-2006, 09:00 PM
The flinstones...Theres no way anyone could make there car go that fast with their feet. But there you have it, it's on TV.

H20 Toie
11-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Chuck Norris was in a movie with a Dodge Ramcharger that he also turned on the supercharger

W.O.T
11-26-2006, 09:27 PM
fast and the furious, pay attention to how many times they shift while drag racing. like 10 times in one drag race.
i also like when they have dirt bikes in a movie and show a four stroke with the exhaust sound from a two stroke or vice versa

upsman105
11-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Chuck Norris was in a movie with a Dodge Ramcharger that he also turned on the supercharger
Lone Wolf McQuade.

QuickJet
11-26-2006, 09:31 PM
The original Vanishing point. In the end of the movie, rather than thrash the '71 Challenger they destroyed a '67 Camaro.
American Grafitti: Bob Falfa's 55 rolls and you can see the single exhaust and the small block oil pan. Clearly the "real" car had big block with dual exhaust.
Back to the Furure: The Delorean is supposed to go 88.7 mph in order to flash back in time. We all know those piles of shit have a hard time doing the speed limit let alone 88.7!

eek-a-RAT
11-26-2006, 11:15 PM
yall forgetin the duke boys.
how many chargers did they go thru.
i remember seein a few of them with the circle tail lights.
i wish i was still a mopar fan. back in the early eightys you could barely give away a mopar, now i have to sell the house to own one.

OKIE-JET
11-27-2006, 03:53 AM
Also when nthe Dukes made a huge jump they would cut back to the front view upon landing and the steering wheel was a different color .....they used the black ones and cream colored ones.

maxwedge
11-27-2006, 04:02 AM
Biker Boys- um pretty much the whole movie.

Jbb
11-27-2006, 04:10 AM
Early seasons of Miami Vice,when Sonny would drive his Corvette based Ferrari....with an automatic....and you would hear him shifting gears like crazy.. :p

Decided Advantage
11-27-2006, 04:55 AM
Flip side. do you remember the beating that 68 Ford pickup took in Mr. Majestic? Ford liked it. They used some scenes from the movie in their commerials for awhile.
The movie came out about the time that first timers were buying similar trucks for around a grand and soon after were trying to follow in the same foot steps. Who would have thought you could launch a 2X Ford 10 foot off and have a ride home to tell about it!?
A buddy bought one and decided to show me how well he could jump his. The truck took the abuse but I took the headliner out in the demo.

HTRDLNCN
11-27-2006, 05:01 AM
Gator with Burt Reynolds,,half the time the big ford sedan was a 4 speed on the floor the other half it was a column shift automatic.. Cool option to have I guess.

sorry dog
11-27-2006, 05:32 AM
In T2 when the semi jumps on the bridge into the drain viaduct you can see the front end of the truck is focked...a few frames later...it's all fixed again.
...and in T3...I want one of those Toyota Tundras...that thing is indestructable.

whited44
11-27-2006, 07:05 AM
How bout Smokey and the Bandit! When Burts bangin gears in that Trans Am. But it's an automatic

BshyBvrGirl
11-27-2006, 07:06 AM
hmmm...Road Racers...the entire movie (but the poster kicks ass)...and Dirty Mary Crazy Larry...the ending. Very cool with the car chase, but if you pay attention, it's full of f*ups but the commentary on the dvd totally makes it worth the purchase.

H20 Toie
11-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Lone Wolf McQuade.
yeah thats it

HocusPocus
11-27-2006, 07:54 AM
just about every show with a car in it... how many times have you heard them squeal the tires when they are on a dirt road?
Commando, when Arnold wrecks the yellow porsche the drivers side is trashed but when he drives off there isn't a scratch on it.
Gone In 60 Seconds...
C'mon now, is Nicholas Cage REALLY lucky enough to score with Angelina Jolie?:crossx:
i believe that more then the fact she was doing billy bob. :crossx:

QuickJet
11-27-2006, 09:09 AM
hmmm...Road Racers...the entire movie (but the poster kicks ass)...and Dirty Mary Crazy Larry...the ending. Very cool with the car chase, but if you pay attention, it's full of f*ups but the commentary on the dvd totally makes it worth the purchase.
Where can I get the DVD Dirty Mary Crazy Larry?

little rowe boat
11-27-2006, 09:21 AM
How about Chips, whenever there was a car crash on the 210 frwy they would show them going about 5 mph, then the next thing you know they are flying through the air and exploding.

BshyBvrGirl
11-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Where can I get the DVD Dirty Mary Crazy Larry?
I bought it off Amazon for $9 for a friend but ended up keeping it for myself because the movie ROCKS! :rollside:

BRSTQUEST
11-27-2006, 09:42 AM
CHiP's had so many....I liked it when they should Mary 3 and 4 riding next to each other from the front and you could see the tie down straps at the bottom of the screen...Also when they turned the bikes would not lean like they should....They magic of tv i guess

Danhercules
11-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Speed Zone, A extention of Cannonball Run,
In the begining when the Lambo skips across the pond like a skipping stone!!!!
Other than that, its my fav chase sene. The downshifting at the roadblock is awsome!

ZBODaytona
11-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Anyone ever see the original gone in 60 sec. They killed like 200 police cars and atleast two mustangs.. He even switches car at a carwash.. But boy those mustangs took a major beating and looked good..

Cas
11-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry with Peter Fonda. They wrecked 3 Chargers....Chargers must have been real cheap and expendable back then.
Trivia for Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (1974)
The famous getaway car featured in the film is a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T with a 440 cubic inch V-8 engine. For musclecar buffs, the color of the Charger is "Limelight" yellow (actually, a fluorescent yellow-green). The black stripe on the side of the car is NOT a "factory" racing stripe (rather one painted on by the crew), and the wheels are classic "American Racing" brand wheels.
Three Chargers were used in the film; Two 1969 Dodge Chargers (one "R/T" and one coupe), and one 1968 Dodge Charger (coupe). Two of the Chargers were intentionally damaged in the front (after a scene where the Charger collided with the truck), and there is a notable difference in the damage from car to car
Six 1972 Dodge Polara 440 V-8 police cars were purchased from the California Highway Patrol for use in the film. All were destroyed during various jumps, rollovers, and crashes.

SB
11-27-2006, 10:29 AM
When someone is trapped inside an old pickup and can't get the door open. The real problem was trying to keep the doors closed.
The Duke boys squeal the tires on a dirt road.
In "Speed" they jump a bus 50' and keep driving it. Also the bus driver, Sandra Bullock, has a cute butt.

Her454
11-27-2006, 10:31 AM
The original Vanishing point. In the end of the movie, rather than thrash the Challenger they destroyed a '69 Camaro.
"Original" Vanishing Point? Wasn't there a movie called Vanishing Point about some Border Patrols (Kris Kristofferson I think) that found an old military jeep in the desert that had something to do with the assasination of Kennedy? That was a great movie but Im not sure of the name of it........................

11-27-2006, 10:38 AM
The flinstones...Theres no way anyone could make there car go that fast with their feet. But there you have it, it's on TV.
It's not that hard to get the car going that fast. The hard part is stopping. LMAO.

Cas
11-27-2006, 10:39 AM
"Original" Vanishing Point? Wasn't there a movie called Vanishing Point about some Border Patrols (Kris Kristofferson I think) that found an old military jeep in the desert that had something to do with the assasination of Kennedy? That was a great movie but Im not sure of the name of it........................
I'm pretty sure the name of that movie is Flashpoint :)

QuickJet
11-27-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm not aware of the Kris Kristofferson movie. Here is a movie poster about the one I'm talking about.
http://mud.mm-a8.yimg.com/image/2784451739
http://mud.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/2529037228
http://mud.mm-a3.yimg.com/image/770260610

BshyBvrGirl
11-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Vanishing Point was pretty decent...except for the bs ending. I watched The Gumball Rally a month or so ago. Again, the ending is bs...at the finish, the first two cars are a split second apart, but the start back in New York was staggered by time. This differential is ignored at the conclusion...but the cars looked good :D

bocco
11-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Here's a link to some good clips from Vanishing Point. Go Kawalski.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hKRflPCPtE&mode=related&search=
I always love the movie trick where they spin the car backwards on the freeway and run 60mph in reverse. Most of my cars have had a fairly low reverse gear. To low to run 60mph. Saw the trick most recently in one of the Fast and Furious sequels. Stalone also pulled that trick in a movie called Cobra. And he was shooting at the bad guy while driving backwards.

Her454
11-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm not aware of the Kris Kristofferson movie. Here is a movie poster about the one I'm talking about.
Sorry, I just looked it up and its FlashPoint. I had no idea KK made so many damn movies!
Plot Summary for
Flashpoint (1984)
Two Texas border guards find a jeep buried for 20 years in the desert, with a skeleton, a scoped rifle, and a box with $800,000 in cash. They decide to keep the money, but quietly check up on the info they find. Soon the Feds are running all over the place, and it looks like jeep maybe linked to the JFK assassination. But the Feds are trying to cover it up, and eliminate anyone involved with the jeep.

Bense468
11-27-2006, 04:02 PM
I have all those DVD's. Some are hard to get
VANISHING POINT (ORIGINAL)
CALIFORNIA KID (BLAIRS SPEED SHOP 34)
2 LANE BLACKTOP
just to name a few

ratso
11-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Sorry, I just looked it up and its FlashPoint. I had no idea KK made so many damn movies!
Plot Summary for
Flashpoint (1984)
Two Texas border guards find a jeep buried for 20 years in the desert, with a skeleton, a scoped rifle, and a box with $800,000 in cash. They decide to keep the money, but quietly check up on the info they find. Soon the Feds are running all over the place, and it looks like jeep maybe linked to the JFK assassination. But the Feds are trying to cover it up, and eliminate anyone involved with the jeep.
That was a bad ass movie!

Her454
11-27-2006, 04:07 PM
That was a bad ass movie!
Yes it is, I think I'll rent it and watch it again, its been years. :)

ratso
11-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Yes it is, I think I'll rent it and watch it again, its been years. :)
Also liked him in that Barbara Streisand movie where he is a fading Rock Star...

Her454
11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Also liked him in that Barbara Streisand movie where he is a fading Rock Star...
Dont think I've seen it. I searched KK movies and all his movies came up, I was quite surprised at the list.

ratso
11-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Dont think I've seen it. I searched KK movies and all his movies came up, I was quite surprised at the list.
I won't ruin it for you then... :D

ratso
11-27-2006, 04:18 PM
I won't ruin it for you then... :D
A Star Is Born... that's the one.

SmokinLowriderSS
11-27-2006, 06:16 PM
That was Lone Wolf McQuade. Been forever since I saw it and couldn't remember the truck ... remembered the remote-controll blower (and it being burried, till he hit the blower. LOL. )

Kilrtoy
11-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Commando, when the porsche rolls and arnie tips it back over and there is no damage

Perfect Mixer
11-27-2006, 07:02 PM
How about the fact that all makes of cars back in the day had Chrysler gear reduction starters in them. It didn't matter if they where starting a lawn mower in a movie, the sound guys had to use the sound of a Chrysler starter!

squirt'nmyload
11-27-2006, 07:13 PM
In T2 when the semi jumps on the bridge into the drain viaduct you can see the front end of the truck is focked...a few frames later...it's all fixed again.
and how bout that dirtbike he was riding. he shifts gears atleast 20 times!!!

SUPERDUTYRHINO
11-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Mad Maxx's superchargers were fake but... Actually, on/off superchargers are for real; Toyota MR2's had one that was engaged with an A/C type clutch.
Tim

Her454
11-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Anyone ever drive by the old auto wreckers in Barstow and see the Mad Max cars the guy has out there? Its pretty cool, there are several of them and Im not sure what he actually does with them but they look alot like the ones from the movie. He is very eccentric.....to say the least. Pretty cool. I have some oldschool pics later I can scan if anyone wants to see them.

OKIE-JET
11-28-2006, 08:21 AM
How about the fact that all makes of cars back in the day had Chrysler gear reduction starters in them. It didn't matter if they where starting a lawn mower in a movie, the sound guys had to use the sound of a Chrysler starter!
Ain't that the truth.

DILLIGAF
11-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry with Peter Fonda. They wrecked 3 Chargers....Chargers must have been real cheap and expendable back then.
Trivia for Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (1974)
The famous getaway car featured in the film is a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T with a 440 cubic inch V-8 engine. For musclecar buffs, the color of the Charger is "Limelight" yellow (actually, a fluorescent yellow-green). The black stripe on the side of the car is NOT a "factory" racing stripe (rather one painted on by the crew), and the wheels are classic "American Racing" brand wheels.
Three Chargers were used in the film; Two 1969 Dodge Chargers (one "R/T" and one coupe), and one 1968 Dodge Charger (coupe). Two of the Chargers were intentionally damaged in the front (after a scene where the Charger collided with the truck), and there is a notable difference in the damage from car to car
Six 1972 Dodge Polara 440 V-8 police cars were purchased from the California Highway Patrol for use in the film. All were destroyed during various jumps, rollovers, and crashes.
There was another Fonda movie where he had a yellow Charger (I think) that crashed into a train at the end of the movie. That isn't the same one is it? I remember seeing it in the theaters and I loved that movie. He, another guy and a girl were on the run from the law. It was just one big chase the entire movie.

QuickJet
11-28-2006, 08:35 AM
There was another Fonda movie where he had a yellow Charger (I think) that crashed into a train at the end of the movie. That isn't the same one is it? I remember seeing it in the theaters and I loved that movie. He, another guy and a girl were on the run from the law. It was just one big chase the entire movie.
Same film.

DILLIGAF
11-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Same film.
I ended up watching that movie over and over. It used to play on TV from time to time but I haven't seen it in years and had forgotten the title.