PDA

View Full Version : removing stearing hub from boat

dschifan
11-26-2006, 10:35 PM
i'm tryin to pull off my steering wheel hub off the steering shaft and the dam thing will not pull off... anyone have any tricks to getting it off? thanks

YeLLowBoaT
11-26-2006, 10:38 PM
3 jaw puller. most automotive parts stores rent them for little or no cost ( you just pay for every thing up front and get it back when you return.)

Forkin' Crazy
11-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Steering wheel/harmonic balancer puller.

BADBLOWN572
11-26-2006, 11:00 PM
3 jaw puller. most automotive parts stores rent them for little or no cost ( you just pay for every thing up front and get it back when you return.)
The three jaw pullers work, but some of them don't fit between the steering hub and hub base. Also, if you are not very careful, you will bend the hub. The wheel pullers that I use to get them off are ones like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/37800-37899/37824.gif
You should be able to get them at any local hardware store and are usually pretty cheap for a set. I believe that they are around $20.00. :)

boatsnblondes
11-26-2006, 11:02 PM
1. Take one end of chain, attach to hub.
2. Take other end of chain, attach to truck.
3. Get in truck, put it in drive, pull forward.
4. Repeat as necessary.

dschifan
11-26-2006, 11:07 PM
thanks alot, i have been trying to use the method of pounding on the stem as someone is pulling the steering whell, but it just seems seized on there and i reall dont want to have to cut the stem off and replace the helm. i'm in the process of re-doing all the boats powdercoated trim parts

Forkin' Crazy
11-26-2006, 11:25 PM
If you use the puller kit like above, you don't really have to tighten the three bolts to the hub super tight. It is more important that they are the same distance. Tighten up the puller bolt (center) until it is pretty tight, then pop it with a hammer. If it doesn't pop off tighten and hit it again.
If that doesn't work, get the hot wrench out... ;)
I hope you didn't mushroom the shaft. :eek:

Tom Brown
11-26-2006, 11:28 PM
While pulling the hub towards you, tap the shaft with a hammer. (with the nut on the shaft so the hammer doesn't damage the threads) Unless it is really corroded, it should pop right off :rollside:
I've always been able to get my wheels off by tapping with a bronze hammer. If it's stuck so tight it won't come off with a hammer, it's time for a puller.

YeLLowBoaT
11-26-2006, 11:46 PM
I had to use a sawzall on mine. 30 somthing years with stee shaft and a AL hub works wonders.
the reason why I said 3 jaw vs steering wheel puller is that most of them have a point on the part that pushes on the shaft. which is fine for cars, they have a hole there for it to go into, most boats don't have that so you end up with a funk angle deal that can do damage. plus I have seen them strip out the bolt holes on older boats( once again steel and AL for 30 years are a great combo...)

HMF'er
11-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Get a bigger hammer.