PDA

View Full Version : MSD Box

Jetaholic
11-28-2006, 02:09 AM
Anyone have an MSD box that has failed? What I'm looking for is a guinea pig MSD box (preferrably the 6M-2 since it is the marine version, but I also know some of you probably run the 6A-L as well so one of these would be great to have as well) that I can strip apart and reverse engineer to make a service schematic of. Through the hot chick thread I've learned that MSD boxes commonly fail, so I figure if I can make a schematic and look at the circuit, I can figure out what would be the most likely components to fail, and offer MSD box repair as a service to all of us boaters.
Anyone interested? Anyone have a bad box they'd like to donate to the cause (again I'm not asking for donations of money, just an MSD box lol)? Once I make the schematic, I can even try to fix the donated box and return it to the sender after it's been tested as a spare box. Anyone interested in donating to the cause PM me.
Jon

Havasu1986
11-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Maybe Rexone has 1 laying around :crossx:

bordsmnj
11-28-2006, 07:30 AM
your not tweeking are you???
...anyway 6m-2 are filled solid with some substance,i forget what and they(msd) dont repair them. i have a bunch of these boxes but i'm building a wall in my back yard with them. i think Crane has a comparable model but i don't know about their rep.

Warlockjer
11-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Check your PMs...

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-28-2006, 08:25 AM
...anyway 6m-2 are filled solid with some substance,i forget what and they(msd) dont repair them. i have a bunch of these boxes but i'm building a wall in my back yard with them. i think Crane has a comparable model but i don't know about their rep.
LMFAO!!!! :rollside:

Jetaholic
11-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Maybe Rexone has 1 laying around :crossx:
I hear this is the latest "word on the street". :p
That's some good info. I've never opened one up. Lots of people do that to prevent reverse engineering. It's like a black epoxy of some sort. Maybe I can figure out a way to melt that down to expose the board itself. If it's too much trouble I won't even pursue it, but offering the service is just a thought.
Jon

Sleek-Jet
11-28-2006, 09:49 AM
The boxes are filled with a potting compound... there is really no way to strip if off without destroying the circuit board.

bordsmnj
11-28-2006, 09:52 AM
I hear this is the latest "word on the street". :p
That's some good info. I've never opened one up. Lots of people do that to prevent reverse engineering. It's like a black epoxy of some sort. Maybe I can figure out a way to melt that down to expose the board itself. If it's too much trouble I won't even pursue it, but offering the service is just a thought.
Jon
the 6al is the same as a 6m just with out being filled solid.

later
11-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Anyone have an MSD box that has failed? What I'm looking for is a guinea pig MSD box (preferrably the 6M-2 since it is the marine version, but I also know some of you probably run the 6A-L as well so one of these would be great to have as well) that I can strip apart and reverse engineer to make a service schematic of. Through the hot chick thread I've learned that MSD boxes commonly fail, so I figure if I can make a schematic and look at the circuit, I can figure out what would be the most likely components to fail, and offer MSD box repair as a service to all of us boaters.
Anyone interested? Anyone have a bad box they'd like to donate to the cause (again I'm not asking for donations of money, just an MSD box lol)? Once I make the schematic, I can even try to fix the donated box and return it to the sender after it's been tested as a spare box. Anyone interested in donating to the cause PM me.
Jon
The driver for the LED tends to fail on the MSD. One back fire or maybe two and thats it. Maybe a filter on the input of the driver would prevent this from happening. Something to eliminate a big spike?. Hey Jet. You have to much time on your hands. Later