PDA

View Full Version : Third Young girl dies in Rhino Mis-Haps:

Trailer Park Casanova
11-28-2006, 07:35 AM
One young girl and man killed in seperate Rhino Accidents, a third accident has claimed the life of another young girl:
Article from the IV Press
Another victim has died from injuries sustained in an off-road vehicle accident over the holiday weekend, making it the third death this year in Imperial County dunes recreational areas.
Eighteen-year-old Danielle Bernard of Lake Forest died when her Yamaha Rhino, a golf cart-type off-road vehicle, rolled and landed on her head and neck.
Bernard was traveling through the open desert in the Ocotillo Wells recreation area near Pole Line Road in eastern Imperial County around 10:40 a.m. at 20 mph, the California Highway Patrol said.
She was driving south down a dirt embankment when she attempted to make a sharp left turn while still accelerating, the Highway Patrol said. Officials said the Rhino overturned, partially ejecting Bernard causing the vehicleÂ’s roll bar to land on her head and neck.
The first victim during the holiday week, Abbey West, 13, of Imperial died as a result of a similar accident, as the off-road recreational golf cart she was riding in overturned causing the roll bar to land on her head and neck, the Highway Patrol said.
The second fatal accident occurred when Guillermo Gomez, 24, of El Cajon failed to see the edge of the Coachella Canal and drove directly into it.
According to the California Highway Patrol, Gomez originally survived the accident, but before he could be rescued he apparently drowned.
Medical aid calls were down this year.
“There has been a decline in the severity of injuries we have seen at the hospital this year,” said Dr. Michael Burger, an emergency room physician at Pioneers Memorial Hospital in Brawley.
He added there were three people who had fractured spines on Saturday and one person who had a life-threatening vascular chest injury.
El Centro Regional Medical Center base trauma nurse coordinator Amanda Magaña said riders are taking more precautions and they have seen fewer injuries from the dunes.
Bureau of Land Management dunes manager Neil Hamada said there were around 130 medical aid calls during the Thanksgiving holiday. Last year during the same holiday season there were 150, he said.
The total deaths during Thanksgiving week last year was five. This year there was a decrease because of the police presence and riders taking better precaution, Magaña said.

DILLIGAF
11-28-2006, 07:39 AM
That's messed up :(.
I think a lot of people look at these things as toys and forget they can cause death. Someone called them the jet skis of the desert and it kind of sounds like it to me. As long as you got money you can buy one but it doesn't mean you know the limitations of the vehicle.
Sad....RIP

ratso
11-28-2006, 07:39 AM
One young girl and man killed in seperate Rhino Accidents, a third accident has claimed the life of another young girl:
Another victim has died from injuries sustained in an off-road vehicle accident over the holiday weekend, making it the third death this year in Imperial County dunes recreational areas.
Eighteen-year-old Danielle Bernard of Lake Forest died when her Yamaha Rhino, a golf cart-type off-road vehicle, rolled and landed on her head and neck.
Bernard was traveling through the open desert in the Ocotillo Wells recreation area near Pole Line Road in eastern Imperial County around 10:40 a.m. at 20 mph, the California Highway Patrol said.
She was driving south down a dirt embankment when she attempted to make a sharp left turn while still accelerating, the Highway Patrol said. Officials said the Rhino overturned, partially ejecting Bernard causing the vehicleÂ’s roll bar to land on her head and neck.
The first victim during the holiday week, Abbey West, 13, of Imperial died as a result of a similar accident, as the off-road recreational golf cart she was riding in overturned causing the roll bar to land on her head and neck, the Highway Patrol said.
The second fatal accident occurred when Guillermo Gomez, 24, of El Cajon failed to see the edge of the Coachella Canal and drove directly into it.
According to the California Highway Patrol, Gomez originally survived the accident, but before he could be rescued he apparently drowned.
“There has been a decline in the severity of injuries we have seen at the hospital this year,” said Dr. Michael Burger, an emergency room physician at Pioneers Memorial Hospital in Brawley.
He added there were three people who had fractured spines on Saturday and one person who had a life-threatening vascular chest injury.
El Centro Regional Medical Center base trauma nurse coordinator Amanda Magaña said riders are taking more precautions and they have seen fewer injuries from the dunes.
Bureau of Land Management dunes manager Neil Hamada said there were around 130 medical aid calls during the Thanksgiving holiday. Last year during the same holiday season there were 150, he said.
The total deaths during Thanksgiving week last year was five. This year there was a decrease because of the police presence and riders taking better precaution, Magaña said.
Things like this have happened on 4 wheelers for years... Not the Rhino's fault... driver error and stupidity are to blame. Just like the inexperienced girl that stole dad's sportscar, it's gonna bite you if you don't respect it.

JetBoatRich
11-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Very sad, out having a little fun, ends in tragedy

Wet Dream
11-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Things like this have happened on 4 wheelers for years... Not the Rhino's fault... driver error and stupidity are to blame. Just like the inexperienced girl that stole dad's sportscar, it's gonna bite you if you don't respect it.
4 wheelers never had rollbars that would crush your head or neck like a dull guillotine, as in the case of 66% of the deaths in this report. 4 wheelers never had seatbelts that kept you trapped in the vehicle and drowned you, as in the other 33% of the deaths. But I'll give the benefit of the doubt that maybe he just couldn't swim and resulted in drowning, but I'm I'm thinking he was trapped and the vehicle turned over, or somehow kept him from escaping.

Warlockjer
11-28-2006, 07:56 AM
What really gets me is the parents who turn their kids loose in them. They have got no clue as to what they are doing and these things roll VERY easy. :mad:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-28-2006, 08:14 AM
We stayed in Ocotillo until Monday and had breakfast at the Blue Inn. The cook is also a fireman for Ocotillo and told us there was 22 emergency calls and 1 fatality in Ocotillo this weekend. Very sad.
So with the Rhino accidents, I wonder if they were wearing shoulder harness type of seatbelts?

Cole Trickle
11-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Most of the stock Rhinos (Non 4 seaters with aftermarket cage) I saw while out at Dumont had stock belts. In more than a couple cases people were not even wearing the factory belts.
I saw more than a couple 10 year olds driving Rhinos around there camps and out in the flats.
I was able to go everywhere except the BIG dunes in the middle of the compound and never had to press my luck. Sadly these are cases of drivers that didn't know what they are doing.

catman-do
11-28-2006, 08:56 AM
That's messed up :(.
I think a lot of people look at these things as toys and forget they can cause death. Someone called them the jet skis of the desert and it kind of sounds like it to me. As long as you got money you can buy one but it doesn't mean you know the limitations of the vehicle.
Sad....RIP
That was me that said it and I still think that. Over t-giving i saw more of these people driving like jackasses out in Glamis. Somehow people think these things are rails and try to drive them at 40-50 through the woops on the drags. Saw one get jiggy and rip off the rear tire and another one flip. The only good thing about the rhino drivers was tehy tended to stay towards the middle while the morons on quads all went by at 80mph 5 feet away from the people. I think the cops should crack down more on the people that break the speed limit law 50 feet from people.

Big Warlock
11-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Just accept it's the Lord's way of keeping the gene pool clean! :crossx:

Todd969
11-28-2006, 09:08 AM
While this is truely sad news, I have to wonder what those parents are\were thinking.
Don't blame the machine for USER error.

Wet Dream
11-28-2006, 09:09 AM
I like to call it "Thinning the herd".

Ziggy
11-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Read the report posted:
All the fatalities in Imperial were related to Rhino/Carts. That's pretty indicative where the issue is..........driver error or not. Consider the girl who got trapped by the rollbar, put her on a quad and she probably gets scraped up or breaks an arm....
Its really sad to read about these accidents..........The general public who doesn't know the difference between the type of vehicles plops all ORV's into one catagory thusly creating anti-sentiment towards all off roaders.. :argue:
A viscious cycle.
My heart goes out to the families affected by these accidents :( :cry:

2Driver
11-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Nice, maybe you should speak at the girls funeral :rolleyes:

Her454
11-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Exactly. Pretty insensitive thing to say. Its not the kids fault, its the parents. Either way, its a tragedy.

Wet Dream
11-28-2006, 09:52 AM
:rolleyes:

Bow Tie Omega
11-28-2006, 09:58 AM
I worked on the Trauma Team at Palomar Medical Center in Escondido for almost 4 years and let me tell you, November thru March or April on weekends are horrible. I would say a solid 50% of the major trauma's with a trauma score of 7 or less are from out in Ocotillo/Glamis/ Imperial County. Most of the serious cases go to either UCSD or Palomar or sometimes to Brawley enroute to UCSD or Palomar. Drinking and riding, riding at night and improper restraints are among the most common causes of serious injury, all a result of operator error. I have seen near decapitations who still have a pulse, crushed chests/abdomens, major skull fractures, some with brain matter herniating thru the skull fx. If you have an accident and get away with a broken leg or arm only, consider yourself lucky. It is all fun times as long as you are safe and use common sense. Even then you do not have control of the drunk ass in the other vehicle doing 60+ in the dark with no lights. And Trauma knows no age, it can be you, or your 6 year old son or daughter. Best way to have fun and be safe and reduce risk of injury......Wear your helmets, pads, gloves, wear your seat belt where applicable and run only during daylight hours and be sober. Save the drinking for the night around the camp fire after the sand rail is parked for the night. I know, I sound like a party pooper, but I have seen way to many of you good people become seriously injured or even die, even after you are as safe as can be because of the drunk stupid asses that none of us can control.

AirtimeLavey
11-28-2006, 10:05 AM
I know the 18 yo's mom (they're divorced). She wasn't out there. I guess the girl was with her Dad and brother. Rhinos look harmless, but like anything, unless you know what you're doing, they can be dangerous.
My condolences to the family, it's a stunning and tragic loss. I'm making sure my kids think about what they're doing and who they're doing it with, and that many activities we enjoy, boats, PWC's, quads, snowboarding, etc. have to be treated w/respect and done safely. I tell them about these fatalities, so they learn from others mistakes, and keep it in mind. It would kill me to lose one of my kids, as I'm sure these families are devastated. :frown:

Ziggy
11-28-2006, 10:07 AM
I worked on the Trauma Team at Palomar Medical Center in Escondido for almost 4 years and let me tell you, November thru March or April on weekends are horrible. I would say a solid 50% of the major trauma's with a trauma score of 7 or less are from out in Ocotillo/Glamis/ Imperial County. Most of the serious cases go to either UCSD or Palomar or sometimes to Brawley enroute to UCSD or Palomar. Drinking and riding, riding at night and inproper restraints are among the most common causes of serious injury, all a result of operator error. I have seen near decapitations who still have a pulse, crushed chests/abdomens, major skull fractures, some with brain matter herniating thru the skull fx. If you have an accident and get away with a broken leg or arm only, consider yourself lucky. It is all fun times as long as you are safe and use common sense. Even then you do not have control of the drunk ass in the other vehicle doing 60+ in the dark with no lights. And Trauma knows no age, it can be you, or your 6 year old son or daughter. Best way to have fun and be safe and reduce risk of injury......Wear your helmets, pads, gloves, wear your seat belt where applicable and run only during daylight hours and be sober. Save the drinking for the night around the camp fire after the sand rail is parked for the night. I know, I sound like a party pooper, but I have seen way to many of you good people become seriously injured or even die, even after you are as safe as can be because of the drunk stupid asses that none of us can control.
Amen....
I believe the Rhino offers an easy get in and go to some that can be dangerous. Laziness has alot to do with the younger "I'm invinsible" group. Instead of having to put on alot of safety gear before going for a ride they can put on a bandana over their face and go....
But as in any recreational sport it all comes down to the person, abilities, common sense, sobriety and to some degree luck....

wolfie
11-28-2006, 10:10 AM
What really gets me is the parents who turn their kids loose in them. They have got no clue as to what they are doing and these things roll VERY easy. :mad:
It's the same type of parents that just turn their kids loose in life as well.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-28-2006, 10:26 AM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812post-3494-1164536174_thumb-med.jpg
13 year old Abby West
Sweet as Sugar

beever_retreever
11-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Most of the stock Rhinos (Non 4 seaters with aftermarket cage) I saw while out at Dumont had stock belts. In more than a couple cases people were not even wearing the factory belts.
I saw more than a couple 10 year olds driving Rhinos around there camps and out in the flats.
I was able to go everywhere except the BIG dunes in the middle of the compound and never had to press my luck. Sadly these are cases of drivers that didn't know what they are doing.
I was out at Dumont over TGiving weekend as well. There were 6 custom Rhinos and 2 of them rolled. Broken arm for both drivers. Not sure how it happened.
On another note, I got two free rides up comp hill from a guy named Sean in a sand rail. Freakin Sweet.

boatnam2
11-28-2006, 11:13 AM
already have said it a few times but pretty ****ing sad some little girls have to die because the rhino wont look cool without a cage net.terrible!

pixilatedpussy
11-28-2006, 11:25 AM
So sad! My prayers, thoughts & condolences go out to the families! I personally wouldnt let my kids drive a Rhino out in Ocotillo or Glamis. But I am overprotective. They can ride with us in a full caged rail with a 4 point harness or ride their quads. Yes they still may get injured but they have been riding bikes since they were 3 yrs old & I feel more comfortable.
I have to say I was VERY impressed with the level of mellowness in Glamis last week. Lots of people but it was very quiet.

slink
11-28-2006, 11:29 AM
I was at a T-day gathering and overheard one of the guest mentioning something about a class action suit against Yamaha due to all of the injuries. Anyone else heard of this? The guest claimed to be a manager of a dealership.

2Driver
11-28-2006, 11:30 AM
I worked on the Trauma Team at Palomar Medical Center in Escondido for almost 4 years .
I ended up at that hospital for a week 2 years ago. Have to say it is a great little hospital with top notch people. Gald you guys were there.

Wet Dream
11-28-2006, 11:32 AM
I was out at Dumont over TGiving weekend as well. There were 6 custom Rhinos and 2 of them rolled. Broken arm for both drivers. Not sure how it happened.
Its natural instinct to put your arm out when you begin to tip or roll over. The best thing for the driver and even the passengers is wrist restraints that won't allow you to place your arms outside the vehicle.

Big Kahunaa
11-28-2006, 11:39 AM
remeber the honda pilot it had straps to keep you hands on the wheel and not let them fly out if you rolled

uvindex
11-28-2006, 11:44 AM
I was at a T-day gathering and overheard one of the guest mentioning something about a class action suit against Yamaha due to all of the injuries. Anyone else heard of this? The guest claimed to be a manager of a dealership.I googled litigation yamaha rhino and the first hit is an attorney who's representing 25 clients (so far) in Rhino "product defect litigation." His site says, "This is not a class-action case. The discovery process will take about a year, and as the cases get closer to a trial, they will either be settled or there will be jury trials."

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-28-2006, 11:55 AM
i knew that it would only be a matter of time:( I didnt want to say it but I knew I would start seeing these threads:(

Big Warlock
11-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Apparently you don't know me too well. I would be HAPPY to speak at this girl's funeral or any other. No charge whatsoever! Insensitive or not, get back to reality is what is required. Life is like the Titanic. We all know the ending! :crossx:

LHC30Victory
11-28-2006, 01:19 PM
...4 wheelers never had seatbelts that kept you trapped in the vehicle and drowned you, as in the other 33% of the deaths. But I'll give the benefit of the doubt that maybe he just couldn't swim and resulted in drowning, but I'm I'm thinking he was trapped and the vehicle turned over, or somehow kept him from escaping.
A more likely possibility is that he suffered injury on the initial collision that may have cause him to lose consciousness. (for what my 02 is worth - he's still gone :cry: )
Like Clint Eastwood said in one of his movies, "A man's got to know his limitations." And that of his equipment....

djunkie
11-28-2006, 01:32 PM
I can't believe how quick to judge you people are. I know I'm wasting my time with this post but I've got nothing better to do at the moment so here it goes.
I own a Rhino. In the past I have owned 2 wheel dirt bikes, quads, and even a sandrail. I have been beat up in all of them. Almost died in the sandrail. The Rhino to me feels to be the safest of them all. First all because it won't go as fast. People are failing to examine the facts of these Rhino accidents. If you read into them you will realize that probably 90% of them are to be blamed on the operator. Accidents are gonna happen no matter what type of vehicle your in/on. I invested in extra safety equipment to reduce the chances of injury. I'm not saying it won't happen but the chances of me being hurt will be reduced.

Her454
11-28-2006, 01:40 PM
I can't believe how quick to judge you people are. I know I'm wasting my time with this post but I've got nothing better to do at the moment so here it goes.
Actually my first thought was to "blame the parents" for putting their child in one. Im not sure I would do that on a busy weekend at Glamis but I dont know all the circumstances. Maybe those parents were safe. Maybe they were not. Its not up to me to judge. They LOST A CHILD. I know I raised my child to be safe but let her take some chances at times that maybe she shouldn't have. I probably shouldnt have trusted her in a boat at an early age but I taught her safety and knew her limitations. BUT GOD FORBID anything ever happened and someone judged me for be being a bad parent on top of losing a child. Sometimes I think we get so caught up with blame in todays society that we lose sight of the real loss.
My heart goes out to the parents regardless of what happened.

djunkie
11-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Heres a first hand experience to the story here. Its terrible that this had to happen. I don't wish these things on any people.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=92232&hl=

pixilatedpussy
11-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Actually my first thought was to "blame the parents" for putting their child in one. Im not sure I would do that on a busy weekend at Glamis but I dont know all the circumstances. Maybe those parents were safe. Maybe they were not. Its not up to me to judge. They LOST A CHILD. I know I raised my child to be safe but let her take some chances at times that maybe she shouldn't have. I probably shouldnt have trusted her in a boat at an early age but I taught her safety and knew her limitations. BUT GOD FORBID anything ever happened and someone judged me for be being a bad parent on top of losing a child. Sometimes I think we get so caught up with blame in todays society that we lose sight of the real loss.
My heart goes out to the parents regardless of what happened.
Well Put hunny.

pixilatedpussy
11-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Heres a first hand experience to the story here. Its terrible that this had to happen. I don't wish these things on any people.
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just like I said! BUCKLE UP! :mad: :mad: So sad indeed!
Thanks for the post Dave. I know this hits a nerve with you babe.... :rollside: Much love!

djunkie
11-28-2006, 02:04 PM
OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just like I said! BUCKLE UP! :mad: :mad: So sad indeed!
Thanks for the post Dave. I know this hits a nerve with you babe.... :rollside: Much love!
Let me tell you T. The first major thing I bought for rail and the Rhino were good seatbelts. The Crow 5 points I had in my rail saved my life so now my Rhino now has a set. Granted my rail accident was mostly my fault being inexperienced but the right precautions were taken and I am still here today. The same could be said for a lot of these Rhino accidents if people would just get the right equipment. All these vehicles are dangerous in their own ways, but if your smart about it it can be prevented.

Ziggy
11-28-2006, 02:05 PM
I own a Rhino. In the past I have owned 2 wheel dirt bikes, quads, and even a sandrail. I have been beat up in all of them. Almost died in the sandrail. The Rhino to me feels to be the safest of them all. First all because it won't go as fast. People are failing to examine the facts of these Rhino accidents. If you read into them you will realize that probably 90% of them are to be blamed on the operator. Accidents are gonna happen no matter what type of vehicle your in/on. I invested in extra safety equipment to reduce the chances of injury. I'm not saying it won't happen but the chances of me being hurt will be reduced.
I didn't judge, or maybe my words weren't stated clearly.........You are one of the several exceptions that run them, especially considering your past experience in the buggy. Others jump in them and shortcut the safety measures built in........and again I ain't judging what happened to any of the poor people that the original post brought to light because many unknown factors probably exist.

djunkie
11-28-2006, 02:06 PM
I didn't judge, or maybe my words weren't stated clearly.........You are one of the several exceptions that run them, especially considering your past experience in the buggy. Others jump in them and shortcut the safety measures built in........and again I ain't judging what happened to any of the poor people that the original post brought to light because many unknown factors probably exist.
It wasn't directed at you Ziggy. I don't want to point out the ones so I figured I woukld just make it a generalized statment.

Cole Trickle
11-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Sad Sad Sad.....
I wear 4 points just cruising to get ice or take a piss.
I have all 5 points connected anytime there will be spirited driving.(Adding a cross bar and 5points was the first thing I did to my Rhino)
This past weekend I saw good and bad while out at the dunes. I saw young drivers with a 4 seater rhino and all of them had belts and helmets on.
I also saw several carts,Rhinos,Rangers,Artic Cats at Comp hill come dark with passengers handing off the side or back and even in lawn chairs and bean bags in the beds.
On two seperate occasions I saw a Rhino with a stock cage and back seat with kids in them.(No rear cage :mad: )

pixilatedpussy
11-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Let me tell you T. The first major thing I bought for rail and the Rhino were good seatbelts. The Crow 5 points I had in my rail saved my life so now my Rhino now has a set. Granted my rail accident was mostly my fault being inexperienced but the right precautions were taken and I am still here today. The same could be said for a lot of these Rhino accidents if people would just get the right equipment. All these vehicles are dangerous in their own ways, but if your smart about it it can be prevented.
Agreed! :rollside: We have those belts as well! We just actually upgraded the front belts because of a recall.

djunkie
11-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Sad Sad Sad.....
I wear 4 points just cruising to get ice or take a piss.
I have all 5 points connected anytime there will be spirited driving.(Adding a cross bar and 5points was the first thing I did to my Rhino)
This past weekend I saw good and bad while out at the dunes. I saw young drivers with a 4 seater rhino and all of them had belts and helmets on.
I also saw several carts,Rhinos,Rangers,Artic Cats at Comp hill come dark with passengers handing off the side or back and even in lawn chairs and bean bags in the beds.
On two seperate occasions I saw a Rhino with a stock cage and back seat with kids in them.(No rear cage :mad: )
And its all the Rhinos fault. :rolleyes:
Ignorrance is everywhere. Its just too bad that sometimes it takes a bad accident for some of these people to learn.

Ziggy
11-28-2006, 02:16 PM
It wasn't directed at you Ziggy. I don't want to point out the ones so I figured I woukld just make it a generalized statment.
Thanks bud...........Sad fact is they can and do roll over on a fairly regular basis. Sadly, you have to expect some sort of regulations will be impressed upon them sometime in the future, think back to the days of ATC's and the creation of quads.

djunkie
11-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks bud...........Sad fact is they can and do roll over on a fairly regular basis. Sadly, you have to expect some sort of regulations will be impressed upon them sometime in the future, think back to the days of ATC's and the creation of quads.
Honestly though Zig I don't think they roll as much as people think. But thats just my opinion. It just seems like they do cause everyone brings it up so much. It does seem more common in the dunes though. So I do see changes out there happening very soon. Luckily I didn't get mine for the dunes.

Ziggy
11-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Honestly though Zig I don't think they roll as much as people think. But thats just my opinion. It just seems like they do cause everyone brings it up so much. It does seem more common in the dunes though. So I do see changes out there happening very soon. Luckily I didn't get mine for the dunes.
It really does parallel the 3 wheeler in that respect IMO.......they were fine if you did what they are capable of, but if its limits were pushed it pushed back.
We humans keep having to push that envelope....bigger/better.
Shit, I think back at when I raced MX and the jumps we sometimes pushed ourselves to do are like tiny speedbumps compared to Supercross nowadays.

djunkie
11-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Shit, I think back at when I raced MX and the jumps we sometimes pushed ourselves to do are like tiny speedbumps compared to Supercross nowadays.
Very true. But people don't seem to bash 2 wheelers with all the accidents people have on them.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Very true. But people don't seem to bash 2 wheelers with all the accidents people have on them.
Good take,, and no age restrictions on them like with ATV's. That's always bugged me.
The BLM is taking a long look at Rhinos, and expect something along the line of licensed drivers only, 4 point belts,, and a few other items.
----But, it's almost un-enforceable with a 3 LEO to 10.000 camper ratio, perhaps higher,, no,, way way higher.

unleashed
11-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Im in Glamis every weekend.....I witness these Rhinos roll all the time. People think they can zip them around like a quad or rail but they dont handle that well. Harnesses should definitly be required when riding in these things. The worst is when parents let there kids take them and they pile in and stand in the back bed holding on to the cage. I gaurantee these are not the last deaths you'll hear about in Rhinos. I always take the time to educate some of these kids when I see them. All it takes is a couple of seconds out of your day. If they dont listen...well than thats life!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

Ziggy
11-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Sadly thats true, or at least not in the same regard because 2 wheelers have been around since the begining of time and are expected to fall over.....3 and 4 wheels give everyone a false sense of security thus the uproar...."it shouldn't do that" cry.
Whatever the case may be there have,are and will be more injuries and deaths related to Rhino's and the sort.
Deano makes a great point about trying to educate people. It should be mandatory to get some sort of training...........Believe it or not I carry a CORRSA certified ATV training cert with me I got eons ago, it was a class offered via a new ATV purchase from Yamaha back in the late 80's

Trailer Park Casanova
11-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Im in Glamis every weekend.....I witness these Rhinos roll all the time. People think they can zip them around like a quad or rail but they dont handle that well. Harnesses should definitly be required when riding in these things. The worst is when parents let there kids take them and they pile in and stand in the back bed holding on to the cage. I gaurantee these are not the last deaths you'll hear about in Rhinos. I always take the time to educate some of these kids when I see them. All it takes is a couple of seconds out of your day. If they dont listen...well than thats life!
Deano
The Homemade rollcage that the passengers heads are higher than and sticking above are what kills us.

Her454
11-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Interesting article...............
http://sun.yumasun.com/artman/publish/articles/story_28253.php

Warlockjer
11-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Hey Big Warlock, I don't know you either but from one Warlock guy to another that was a pretty cold statement....

Devil's Advocate
11-28-2006, 05:00 PM
But this judgement also comes with maturity. Hmmm...What's up parents???
Nonetheless, such a tradgic loss and prayers to the families.

RiverRatMike
11-28-2006, 05:16 PM
I seems to amaze me that people don't know what the hell they are doing and don't know the limits of the Rhino. I've got well over 500 miles on mine and haven't even come close to rolling it or crashing into a canal. Geese!

Bradman
11-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Obviously good seatbelts will save lives. So why doesn't Yamaha step up to the plate and just put the best seatbelts in their Rhino's at the factory.

3 daytona`s
11-28-2006, 05:26 PM
I seems to amaze me that people don't know what the hell they are doing and don't know the limits of the Rhino. I've got well over 500 miles on mine and haven't even come close to rolling it or crashing into a canal. Geese!
you are an expert :idea:

Trailer Park Casanova
11-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Obviously good seatbelts will save lives. So why doesn't Yamaha step up to the plate and just put the best seatbelts in their Rhino's at the factory.
Yamaha is a thick skulled company,
Very slow to change or to admit problems.

wsuwrhr
11-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Unfortunately Rhinos were not DESIGNED with the intended use the general public has embraced with this vehicle.
It is a damn farm cart.
Sad accidents that were easily preventable.
Brian

shueman
11-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Sad, so sad....does not half to happen.... :cry:

RiverRatMike
11-28-2006, 06:56 PM
but to always come out with the best high performace products first!

pixilatedpussy
11-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Deano
I hear ya Deano! We see it all too often out there! I saw quite a bit of stupidity this last trip...( not as much as usual)..never the less very sad & preventable deaths! Bless them all!
~ Lets all learn from other peoples mistakes~ Please Buckle Up & Take Care Of Your Babies....Educate Them~
It is just too damn hard hearing crap like this!

unleashed
11-28-2006, 09:55 PM
I hear ya Deano! We see it all too often out there! I saw quite a bit of stupidity this last trip...( not as much as usual)..never the less very sad & preventable deaths! Bless them all!
~ Lets all learn from other peoples mistakes~ Please Buckle Up & Take Care Of Your Babies....Educate Them~
It is just too damn hard hearing crap like this!
Hey saw you guys for one second than missed you the rest of the trip??
This trip was actually alot more mellow than the past 5 thanksgivings...it was nice! :rollside:
5 point harnesses in rhinos should now be mandatory..they will save lives!
Deano

pixilatedpussy
11-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey saw you guys for one second than missed you the rest of the trip??
This trip was actually alot more mellow than the past 5 thanksgivings...it was nice! :rollside:
5 point harnesses in rhinos should now be mandatory..they will save lives!
Deano
I know ....it was really really hard to film footage! Even taking that quick jaunt with Jason around Olds & a box of beads did NOTHING!! :crossx: :crossx: Did Mark get to shoot some footage of you? I know he was hoping to get some helmet cam action. He took some footage of Geza railing some bowls....but pretty mellow. Hopefully on Martin Luther King for the clean up we can all do a big ride! I would love to take the kids together!

bignet
11-28-2006, 10:09 PM
I worked on the Trauma Team at Palomar Medical Center in Escondido for almost 4 years and let me tell you, November thru March or April on weekends are horrible. I would say a solid 50% of the major trauma's with a trauma score of 7 or less are from out in Ocotillo/Glamis/ Imperial County. Most of the serious cases go to either UCSD or Palomar or sometimes to Brawley enroute to UCSD or Palomar. Drinking and riding, riding at night and improper restraints are among the most common causes of serious injury, all a result of operator error. I have seen near decapitations who still have a pulse, crushed chests/abdomens, major skull fractures, some with brain matter herniating thru the skull fx. If you have an accident and get away with a broken leg or arm only, consider yourself lucky. It is all fun times as long as you are safe and use common sense. Even then you do not have control of the drunk ass in the other vehicle doing 60+ in the dark with no lights. And Trauma knows no age, it can be you, or your 6 year old son or daughter. Best way to have fun and be safe and reduce risk of injury......Wear your helmets, pads, gloves, wear your seat belt where applicable and run only during daylight hours and be sober. Save the drinking for the night around the camp fire after the sand rail is parked for the night. I know, I sound like a party pooper, but I have seen way to many of you good people become seriously injured or even die, even after you are as safe as can be because of the drunk stupid asses that none of us can control.
I Agree, and please stop letting your 10-12 year old kid ride around the campfire in the Rhino or whatever without a helmet! :mad: Damn, it never ceases to amaze me, when a friend will let his kid drive within sight, as if he's proud of his kid or something. F*ck let the little f*cker put his helmet on first. Or drag his butt off the ORV/ ATV. Sorry, but last year a friend of mine was paralyzed when he was farting around the campfire going about 10 miles an hour on a 50. He flipped backwards and fractured his spine. You never know people.....Way to screw up a nice outing being medivac (sp?) out of the desert.
My .02
:crossx:
bignet

pixilatedpussy
11-28-2006, 10:10 PM
I Agree, and please stop letting your 10-12 year old kid ride around the campfire in the Rhino or whatever without a helmet! :mad: Damn, it never ceases to amaze me, when a friend will let his kid drive within sight, as if he's proud of his kid or something. F*ck let the little f*cker put his helmet on first. Or drag his butt off the ORV/ ATV. Sorry, but last year a friend of mine was paralyzed when he was farting around the campfire going about 10 miles an hour on a 50. He flipped backwards and fractured his spine. You never know people.....Way to screw up a nice outing being medivac (sp?) out of the desert.
My .02
:crossx:
bignet
:mad: :mad: Wow...I hear ya! Our kids know they are not to even look at their bikes without all of their gear! :mad: :mad: Sorry about your friend hun!

Ziggy
11-29-2006, 08:25 AM
JUST READING these posts and was thinking ,i never wear my seatbelt in my rhino,but always in my car/truck,and always(after work)have a beer(or 6) while driving my rhino(we live in the middle of no where) and always trying to find out where the rhino won't go?.i think i will start wearing my belt in the rhino from now on,god bless these deaths :frown:
Thats been a large point I'm trying to express MArk........So many take shortcuts because you get a false sense of security. If all the equipment supplied is used properly then less injuries would happen.
As someone else pointed out these Rhinos are being used differently than originally designed for, nothing wrong with that but if you're gonna modify it put extra measures of protection to equal the new intended use.....

Baja Big Dog
11-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Hey Big Warlock, I don't know you either but from one Warlock guy to another that was a pretty cold statement....
Well here it goes....I was watching and reading with amazment the reactions of us folks regarding the loss of life, any life young or old, but in this case it was the life of a child, and for Big Warlock to make the comment about cleaning the gene pool was and is without a doubt the lowest form of a post to get attention I have ever seen.
Read this my friend and look deep into the mirror and determine how you would write a post of appoligy to the HB fourm comunity.
You see Big Warlock I have burried a child, and the statment "you are not suppose to bury your children" never hits home until you live it. During the whole ordeal you hear from friends the statement "I dont know what to say".
Wll they dont, because what has happened is beyond words, but I must say that I never even gave thought to "cleaning the gene pool".
You say you would speak at the girls funeral, who are you, Jesus Christ? You would speak the the funeral, how dare you degrade the last time the parents have with this child by saying you would speak the funeral, let me ask you this, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY? Or was this statement also made for attention, if so you got mine, and IM sure the parents would be very pleased to know that you the attention starved junior Jesus Christ would speak at the funeral of their daughter.
I say that you need to appoligize to the fourm knowing well you probobly wont, you will make an attempt to justify your statment, remember, act like you are making the statment to the parents, (and grandparents, and siblings) of this beautiful life that is now gone.
ILL climb off my soapbox now, had to post, this hits home and it was just wrong.

pixilatedpussy
11-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Well here it goes....I was watching and reading with amazment the reactions of us folks regarding the loss of life, any life young or old, but in this case it was the life of a child, and for Big Warlock to make the comment about cleaning the gene pool was and is without a doubt the lowest form of a post to get attention I have ever seen.
Read this my friend and look deep into the mirror and determine how you would write a post of appoligy to the HB fourm comunity.
You see Big Warlock I have burried a child, and the statment "you are not suppose to bury your children" never hits home until you live it. During the whole ordeal you hear from friends the statement "I dont know what to say".
Wll they dont, because what has happened is beyond words, but I must say that I never even gave thought to "cleaning the gene pool".
You say you would speak at the girls funeral, who are you, Jesus Christ? You would speak the the funeral, how dare you degrade the last time the parents have with this child by saying you would speak the funeral, let me ask you this, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY? Or was this statement also made for attention, if so you got mine, and IM sure the parents would be very pleased to know that you the attention starved junior Jesus Christ would speak at the funeral of their daughter.
I say that you need to appoligize to the fourm knowing well you probobly wont, you will make an attempt to justify your statment, remember, act like you are making the statment to the parents, (and grandparents, and siblings) of this beautiful life that is now gone.
ILL climb off my soapbox now, had to post, this hits home and it was just wrong.
I have nothing more to say....
But...Thankyou for your post, & god bless you & your family, I am so very sorry for your loss.

little rowe boat
11-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Very well said.
Thank you.

Her454
11-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Very well said, and I too am sorry for your loss.

Bradman
11-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Apparently you don't know me too well. I would be HAPPY to speak at this girl's funeral or any other. No charge whatsoever! Insensitive or not, get back to reality is what is required. Life is like the Titanic. We all know the ending! :crossx:
With statements like this, who in the hell would want to know you? Baja Big Dog sorry for you loss, our paryers to you and your family.

mbrown2
11-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Did not read the thread entirely, but definitely a tragic weekend.....kind of like reading a bunch of Jet Ski deaths on the opening of summer Memorial Day weekend.....don't like any season to get off to a tragic start..
Do Rhino's come stock with just lapbelts? If so I would think that is definitely a recipe for disaster....as the upper body would not be contained in a rollover...If so Yamaha I think needs to correct this.
Also, since most of these Rhino's are mod'd with upgraded ECU's that go faster then the manufacture's recommended top speed I would this also lessens Yamaha's liability.....as for speed / rollover risk...
Just terrible anyway you look at it and this is only the beginning of the season...

Cole Trickle
11-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Did not read the thread entirely, but definitely a tragic weekend.....kind of like reading a bunch of Jet Ski deaths on the opening of summer Memorial Day weekend.....don't like any season to get off to a tragic start..
Do Rhino's come stock with just lapbelts? If so I would think that is definitely a recipe for disaster....as the upper body would not be contained in a rollover...If so Yamaha I think needs to correct this.
Also, since most of these Rhino's are mod'd with upgraded ECU's that go faster then the manufacture's recommended top speed I would this also lessens Yamaha's liability.....as for speed / rollover risk...
Just terrible anyway you look at it and this is only the beginning of the season...
They come with a shoulder harness car like seat belt. (IMO there junk)

djunkie
11-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Rhinos come with shoulder/lap belts just like in any new car or truck. I agrre that Yamaha should not be liable for deaths or injuries when the Rhino is used wrong. Thats why some of us have made the changes to them to make them safer. Are they 100% safe? Of course not, but most things we do in life aren't.

Bense468
11-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Its amazing how many people are buying these for the sand. I think they are cool, for running to your buddies down the street, doing work around the ranch or farm, hunting, or playing around in the desert a bit but I think I will stick to my quad or the buggy for the sand.
In my opinion the rhinos are too top heavy short and narrow for the sand (and yes I have been in one)Financing and the "latest trend" is not helping glamis...thats for sure. I just had the talk with my 19 year old sister when I found out she coming out to glamis with her boyfriend and his rhino. Felt un-easy all weekend knowing she was riding in one.