PDA

View Full Version : Any snowboarders in here???

NOTALENT
11-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Season is coming up....I have only gone once due to injurys or having no benefits back then and didnt want to chance getting hurt. This season I see myself going alot though. :rollside:
Looking to get a package; Board, bindings and boots....any recommendations?? I was thinking either a Forum or Burton.....

Mandelon
11-28-2006, 08:17 AM
My whole family boards now. Ask BoardsmnJ he's the local expert I think.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-28-2006, 08:18 AM
We snowboard. Or used to before we bought dirt toys. Me and Jason met while snowboarding in Mammoth. And Jason used to be an instructor in Big Bear. Awwwww, this past weekend was the anniversary of our first date, a four day weekend in Mammoth.
Ok, I got a little side tracked. LOL
We rode nothing but Salomon boards.

NOTALENT
11-28-2006, 08:18 AM
My whole family boards now. Ask BoardsmnJ he's the local expert I think.
Nice...I forgot about jason...the old snowboard instructor!!! :rollside: Thanks.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Nice...I forgot about jason...the old snowboard instructor!!! :rollside: Thanks.
ooooooooh, you are gonna get in trouble for calling Jason old. :)

bordsmnj
11-28-2006, 08:22 AM
old? let me check my list of recently banned words and i'll get back to you.

NOTALENT
11-28-2006, 08:24 AM
ooooooooh, you are gonna get in trouble for calling Jason old. :)
haha....ok...older. :p

NOTALENT
11-28-2006, 08:25 AM
old? let me check my list of recently banned words and i'll get back to you.
haha...come on manng...help a brotha out! :crossx:

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
11-28-2006, 08:27 AM
I used to be sponsered by burton, way back when it was a new sport. Your best bet would be rent different brands this year and buy package in off season. BIG JOE

bordsmnj
11-28-2006, 08:39 AM
burton makes good boards if you spend the money.forum boards are a grossly over priced cookie cutter board. get a board that comes up to your chin when standing on end. start wiyth an "all mountian" board unless your gonna pose around the terrain park all day. don't buy junk. get boots that fit perfect. rember most boots are made in europe and have two sizes with sold in the U.S. so for SAE size 9 there,s actually two metric sizes in that range. one,s about a quarter inch bigger than the other. make sure your board width goes with your foot size. your big toe nails center should be 1 inch back from the rail on your back foot. if your heel is hanging way over the edge than the board is two narrow. too wide of a board can be a pig when going from rail to rail(turning). in other words when running too narrow of a board and your hauling ass your heel will hang out and pop the rail loose in the midddle of a back hand turn and send yuh spining. so buy boots first put them on and then figure out board width. binding play into this as well. some bindings hold the boot right down on the deck board needs to be wide for this. some bindings hold the boot quite a ways up off the deck allowing you to run a narrower board. another trick is to buy last years top of the line model on sale this year. you'll save thirty percent. you can haggle with board shops quite a bit.

catman-do
11-28-2006, 08:40 AM
If you dont go much, head up to one of the local mountains during demo days. You can ride several brands of boards. You can get a feel for which board your most comfortable on. I personally think Burton is a POS. they are more about quantity than quality. Forum used to be very good but has gone down hill a bit with popularity. I ride M3's right now and like them. Have some friends sponsored by Hervonster and like them. Figure out what your going to be riding. If its just down hill get something narrower and longer with a stiff core, more powder go long and a bit wider with a stiff core. if its freestyle then figure if you will be jumping more or rails. The boards with react different. A rail board will have more forgiveness in the center so that you dont hit the rail and bounce off. A board desinged more for jumping will have more "pop" in the nose and tail sections so that you can get higher/further in the air. I like the M3's because they have alot of pop and I can manuever easier because of it. I went up to Mt high last night and it was decent. Better than Mammoth was the last few weekends.

NOTALENT
11-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks...lots of good advice from you all...I figured Burton and Forums were all hype...Kinda like DCB's.... :crossx: I dont care for names just whatever feels good. I will be hitting all terrains probably....jumps, rails, boxes, powder, back country etc...Planning a trip to a family condo in Park City Utah soon.... :rollside: Any idea when the Demo days are???

bordsmnj
11-28-2006, 08:54 AM
i think they (who ever) used to leave flyers at sport chalet advertising demo dates at the local mtn's.

catman-do
11-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks...lots of good advice from you all...I figured Burton and Forums were all hype...Kinda like DCB's.... :crossx: I dont care for names just whatever feels good. I will be hitting all terrains probably....jumps, rails, boxes, powder, back country etc...Planning a trip to a family condo in Park City Utah soon.... :rollside: Any idea when the Demo days are???
Maybe try going to a ski/snowboard expo and they will probably have demo days info there. The company that I worked for that did them was Vision Entertainment. They do expo's, demo days, and hot import nights. If you think more freestyle check out boards with Balsa cores. they are light and flexible. Downside is they need to be replaced after fewer rides than traditional boards. Maybe look at a capped side rail as well.

al cole'holic
11-28-2006, 09:25 AM
I got a brand new pair of Burton boots size 13 for sale :)

AirtimeLavey
11-28-2006, 10:21 AM
I ride a Burton cruiser. I'm more into all mountain, than terrain parks. I would probably also fall into that "older" crowd. My kids are on Burtons as well. No probs., yet. Looking forward to this season. Width/sidecut is a big deal, as some mentioned already. Oh yeah, and try not to fall on your a--, it hurts... :crossx:

NOTALENT
11-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Maybe try going to a ski/snowboard expo and they will probably have demo days info there. The company that I worked for that did them was Vision Entertainment. They do expo's, demo days, and hot import nights. If you think more freestyle check out boards with Balsa cores. they are light and flexible. Downside is they need to be replaced after fewer rides than traditional boards. Maybe look at a capped side rail as well.
What kind of M3 are you riding??? Found a nice Discord with boot and binding package for under $300...not bad.

FreshTracks
11-28-2006, 11:25 AM
I've been riding for 14 seasons and let me tell you Burton is not hype at all. Do yourself a favor a pick up a Burton Custom. The perfect all around board, park,pipe, backcountry, the do all board. They retain their snap far longer than most of the other crap out there. Yeah, they are a few bucks more but they will last longer. As with boating and everything else, you get what you pay for.
As far as Forum, my friend used to be their warranty manager and he rode a Burton.
What ever you get, this is going to be a great season. Whistler just got 10' of freshies, and Tahoe and the Rockies are getting dumped on!

NOTALENT
11-28-2006, 03:10 PM
I've been riding for 14 seasons and let me tell you Burton is not hype at all. Do yourself a favor a pick up a Burton Custom. The perfect all around board, park,pipe, backcountry, the do all board. They retain their snap far longer than most of the other crap out there. Yeah, they are a few bucks more but they will last longer. As with boating and everything else, you get what you pay for.
As far as Forum, my friend used to be their warranty manager and he rode a Burton.
What ever you get, this is going to be a great season. Whistler just got 10' of freshies, and Tahoe and the Rockies are getting dumped on!
The custom is way out of my range right now....I will stick to something basic. For now anyways. I hope its a great season. Sooner it starts falling the better! :rollside:

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
11-28-2006, 03:57 PM
I will stick tp may statement, go ride differant brands, buy the one you like best. Even if you dont buy this year. good luck on search BIG JOE

AirtimeLavey
11-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Sport Chalet used to rent decent boards, and then let you apply the rentals to the purchase... :cool:

lawbreaker2
11-28-2006, 07:19 PM
I ride to, but we only have bunny hills here, so no real riding for me here, I have been skiing for 20+ years and boarding for about 4 years now, But I still suck at it, But I have fun. :rollside:

bignet
11-28-2006, 08:49 PM
The custom is way out of my range right now....I will stick to something basic. For now anyways. I hope its a great season. Sooner it starts falling the better! :rollside:
Dude, I go pretty frequently with a lot of bros, and most of us roll with either Lamar, Ride, Burton, and M3....I've had my Ride board (158") for 2 seasons and love it! :crossx: But, it's like drinking beers, some fools swear by one and others favor another. Unless you plan on doing tricks and jumps right away, than you should definately buy good solid gear. If not, just pick up a decent board as per Bordsmnj's advice. Right now is the WORST time to buy a board cuz the season is kicking off. Like buying a boat in June! Wait till the bomb ass sales in May. Active, Pharmacy and many mountain shops will be selling this years stuff pretty cheap to make room for the new sh*t. Also, the snow and ski expo in Orange County is usually in September....sweet package deals there. There's also ebay. Lots of package deals!
:crossx:
bignet

NOTALENT
11-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Dude, I go pretty frequently with a lot of bros, and most of us roll with either Lamar, Ride, Burton, and M3....I've had my Ride board (158") for 2 seasons and love it! :crossx: But, it's like drinking beers, some fools swear by one and others favor another. Unless you plan on doing tricks and jumps right away, than you should definately buy good solid gear. If not, just pick up a decent board as per Bordsmnj's advice. Right now is the WORST time to buy a board cuz the season is kicking off. Like buying a boat in June! Wait till the bomb ass sales in May. Active, Pharmacy and many mountain shops will be selling this years stuff pretty cheap to make room for the new sh*t. Also, the snow and ski expo in Orange County is usually in September....sweet package deals there. There's also ebay. Lots of package deals!
:crossx:
bignet
Just found out that Jacks Surfshop is having a big sale this weekend on Burton boards and Z J's Boardshop in Santa Monica is as well....gonna go check it out...I have been leaning torwards the M3 Discord 155.5 or 158 thats what I found on EBAY for a decent price under $300 shipped...

NOTALENT
11-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Oh....and does anyone know any good Chat Forums for snowboarding???

bordsmnj
11-29-2006, 04:40 PM
no such thing. the are all a bunch of 12 year old kids.don't waist your time. just go ride.