PDA

View Full Version : Need Home alarm.....

lewiville
11-28-2006, 08:58 PM
anyone here got any good people in the know? I just bought a house and need a good alarm company. Had one show up today after I called off of a post card that said " free 7 day carnaval cruse ". What I got was a drunk, smoking old lady. God I hate the smell of cig's,,,yuck. She had absolutly no clue on what the hell she was selling, no ideas on what to cover, and showed up 45 min late.
Just need some advise. Company's , product, etc.

Outnumbered
11-28-2006, 09:02 PM
I've had Brinks for about 10+ years in 3 houses and have been very happy with the system and the price.
http://www.brinkshomesecurity.com/home-security-systems-and-pricing/

Rexone
11-28-2006, 09:04 PM
I've used Noiron Alarm for about 20 years at all my shops and homes.
Call Victor Noiron up. I highly recommend them. 626-914-6060

lewiville
11-28-2006, 09:07 PM
what system, does he come out to Murrieta?

bigq
11-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Mijac Alrm Rancho Cucamonga at the 10 and 15.
http://www.mijacalarm.com/

Rexone
11-28-2006, 09:11 PM
what system, does he come out to Murrieta?
They go all over so cal. He's out of Glendora.

4DAY4PLAY
11-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Im in Temecula, and just reasearched alarms 2 months ago. I went with a company that installed a honeywell system, that includes 10 openings, a talking control panel, installation and equipment for $250. I pay $34 a month (2 year contract) to be fully monitored by ADT. Let me know if you want the name and #, i can dig it up.

lewiville
11-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Im in Temecula, and just reasearched alarms 2 months ago. I went with a company that installed a honeywell system, that includes 10 openings, a talking control panel, installation and equipment for $250. I pay $34 a month (2 year contract) to be fully monitored by ADT. Let me know if you want the name and #, i can dig it up.
Sounds like the company that came by today. Was it King Alarm?

4DAY4PLAY
11-28-2006, 09:43 PM
No, its a company based out of Temecula called Northstar....(951) 699-0990,
cant remember the name of the guy i dealt with but i believe he was the owner. ask about what specials there offering right now. Mine was installed on 10/4 so it still should be about the same price, depending onthe # of openings you have. i just did my whole bottom floor, not concerned with upstairs, plus during the summer its nice to be able to sleep with the windows open. also, i didnt get the motion detectors, i think its a bit more.
Let me know if you need any more help.- James.

Turbojack
11-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Do not know about what alarm company but here are some questions you need to ask if you are talking to some of the smaller companies. Not sure if all of these questions apply were you live but this will help you decided.
Some of the smaller companies are called truck slamers. One person company that works out the their car or truck. Will tell you anything you want to hear so they can get you to sign a contract. In Texas you have 3 days to cancel a contract if you sign it at your home. A lot of the big companies will get you to sign contract and tell you they can not come out for at least 3 days to start the install. That way you are locked in with them and can not get out of contract.
I think a mid size company is the way to go. If you have a problem you will be able to talk to the same person where in a big company your chances are?
How long has company been in business?
Do they do their own monitoring? or subcontract it out? Monitored in state or out? Does central station have backup if something happens to central station? Ie: fire marshall tell central station to evacuate building, can alarms be forwared to another station?
Do they keep the contract or do they sell it right away? Stay away from the sellers. All they want to do is get you to sign contract so they can sell it for big $.
What do they consider an alarm system? Some of them think an alarm system is 3 doors or windows, 1 motion and keypad. This person wants your money and does not care about you. Min. should be all opening doors and windows. A number of years ago 20/20 did a report on alarm systems. They tried to give alarm systems/companies a bad rap because they had a house broken into and the alarm did not go off. They did not inform that the reason the alarm did not go off was because the window the guy went thru was not on the alarm system because home owner went the 3 contact free or $99.00 install.
How is the alarm going to communicate to the central station? Do you have a reguar Pots line or are you going to use VoIP. If you use VoIP watch out. The jury is still out as if this is really a safe way to communicate. With VoIP if you do not have backup battery on your router and modem as soon as you have a power outage your alarm will not be able to communicate. Not all VoIP provides have battery backup on their side either.
Look at the complete price, alarm install & monitoring cost. Some give you a real low install price and then nail you for monitoring.
Length of contract & how much can they raise price ever year?
Ask about what options are avaible. Such as panic keyfob, alarm screens, motion detectors, glass breaks, Cellular backup, extra keypads, & strobe lights.
Hope this helps you.

AirtimeLavey
11-28-2006, 09:50 PM
I was in the business for 10 years, and these guys are solid, if they'll go down to Murr./Tem. You def. want a reputable co., because a lousy install will lead to false alarms, pissed neighbors, poss. fines, etc. Good luck. :cool:

voodoomedman
11-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah. Do research on the company and make sure they have been in business for a while. Do not get the 3 contact for free or $99 deal. It is worthless. If you are going to do that then just get a sign and put it in your yard. Find a good company that you can get a good price. There are some smaller local companies that are good. Sounds like the one Rexie mentioned is good. My in-laws also have WCD which is in Covina or Azusa or something and they seem to be great. I had Millenium at my last house and they were good until they were bought out by Valley Alarm. They suck. The new house I got all the ads in the mail and went with a private ADT installer after checking them out first. No funny business with them. They were on time for the appointment, installer was on time and installed everything well and for just above 5 bills I have every window and door in my house with a sensor on it, I also have 3 motions and two fire detectors. This place is Fort Knox. ADT monitors it for I think 31 or 32 a month including the fire monitoring. ADT's company sales people would have charged me probably around 3 grand for all that I have and 39 bucks for the monitoring.
Basically in a nutshell..............
Shop Around.

KreatinKaos
11-28-2006, 10:18 PM
I've had ADT for allmost 18 years ... great service . The one time some crackhead entered my house , they had the cops there in time to catch the focker :crossx: A few years ago I had a fire behind my mantle and their sensors went off , they had the fire department there in no time ... without the ADT monitoring my house would have burned down :)

lewiville
11-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Do not know about what alarm company but here are some questions you need to ask if you are talking to some of the smaller companies. Not sure if all of these questions apply were you live but this will help you decided.
Some of the smaller companies are called truck slamers. One person company that works out the their car or truck. Will tell you anything you want to hear so they can get you to sign a contract. In Texas you have 3 days to cancel a contract if you sign it at your home. A lot of the big companies will get you to sign contract and tell you they can not come out for at least 3 days to start the install. That way you are locked in with them and can not get out of contract.
I think a mid size company is the way to go. If you have a problem you will be able to talk to the same person where in a big company your chances are?
How long has company been in business?
Do they do their own monitoring? or subcontract it out? Monitored in state or out? Does central station have backup if something happens to central station? Ie: fire marshall tell central station to evacuate building, can alarms be forwared to another station?
Do they keep the contract or do they sell it right away? Stay away from the sellers. All they want to do is get you to sign contract so they can sell it for big $.
What do they consider an alarm system? Some of them think an alarm system is 3 doors or windows, 1 motion and keypad. This person wants your money and does not care about you. Min. should be all opening doors and windows. A number of years ago 20/20 did a report on alarm systems. They tried to give alarm systems/companies a bad rap because they had a house broken into and the alarm did not go off. They did not inform that the reason the alarm did not go off was because the window the guy went thru was not on the alarm system because home owner went the 3 contact free or $99.00 install.
How is the alarm going to communicate to the central station? Do you have a reguar Pots line or are you going to use VoIP. If you use VoIP watch out. The jury is still out as if this is really a safe way to communicate. With VoIP if you do not have backup battery on your router and modem as soon as you have a power outage your alarm will not be able to communicate. Not all VoIP provides have battery backup on their side either.
Look at the complete price, alarm install & monitoring cost. Some give you a real low install price and then nail you for monitoring.
Length of contract & how much can they raise price ever year?
Ask about what options are avaible. Such as panic keyfob, alarm screens, motion detectors, glass breaks, Cellular backup, extra keypads, & strobe lights.
Hope this helps you.
I had no idea there was this much shizzle