PDA

View Full Version : Opening day Whitetail deer season,

SmokinLowriderSS
11-29-2006, 04:35 PM
and one very nice doe is freezer-bound. :) 120 pounds, should yield arround 60 pounds of great venison. :)
Be back after dressing her out. :yuk:

wsuwrhr
11-29-2006, 04:39 PM
This thread is completely worthless without pictures.
Without a sample taster pack, this thread is completely a tease.
Brian

djunkie
11-29-2006, 04:40 PM
and one very nice doe is freezer-bound. :) 120 pounds, should yield arround 60 pounds of great venison. :)
Be back after dressing her out. :yuk:
Small one huh? When was opening day for you?

SmokinLowriderSS
11-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Today was, and yes, she's kinda small, but decent.
4 more antlerless tags to go, and 1 any sex to get a Buck. We have WAY too many arround here. Been trying to thin the herd for about 7 years now, slowly, without cullings by DWP.
Back out in the snow tomorow. :)
Ahhhhh it sure beats a day at work. :)

SmokinLowriderSS
11-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Now for a hot shower and to figure out what to have for dinner. :idea:

Itsahobby
11-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Soak the liver in terriaki(SP) for an hour, bread and fry in 1/2 inch of canola oil. How long does it take to fly to Kansas from Cali? Cause I can taste the liver from here :)

brianthomas
11-29-2006, 06:10 PM
1. Soak liver in salt water to remove blood.
2. Soak liver in favorite BBQ for four hours.
3. Light grill 1/2 hour before cooking.
4. Pour excess BBQ sauce off and discard.
5. Put burgers on grill.
6. Throw liver in garbage can, it tastes just like SCHIT!

SmokinLowriderSS
11-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Probably take about 3 hrs to fly here. It's waiting in the garage, frozen solid. None of us here like liver, you're welcome to it. :yuk:
I'm with you brianthomas. :boxed:

YeLLowBoaT
11-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Just turn it all into jerky. :D
Deer jerky is by far the best kind.

SmokinLowriderSS
11-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Sure is the best, even after a friend of mine sent me some Caribou and some Musk Oxen jerkey from Alaska.
Those dried smoked salmon sticks were REALLY fine!! Kinda like Slim-Jims, but 1,000 times better.

SmokinLowriderSS
11-30-2006, 05:17 AM
I didn't take the camera with me yesterday, and the end result last night is rather "un-photogenic". Perhaps pix of the next one.
Would be nice to get another buck like the one 3 years ago, was a good deal over 300 pounds. Unfortunately, that was the season BEFORE I bought a winch setup and a scale. :cry: 156 pounds of meat came from him, as did the 10-point set of antlers on my wall. :)
There is a smart old 12-point nearby to the north, I just have to try to get him to come my way. :idea:

Old Texan
11-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Those dried smoked salmon sticks were REALLY fine!! Kinda like Slim-Jims, but 1,000 times better.
Up in Alaska they call them "Squaw Candy"......good stuff.:cool:

SmokinLowriderSS
12-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Day 3, 6 inches of snow yesterday, and the buck tag is filled today. He's a smallish 190 pounds but only growing 1 pretty pathetic 3-point antler so he needed culled, and will taste just like a 12-pointer, which is yummmmmmy. Can expect arround 90 pounds from him. Now off to my mess-making in the garage. :yuk:

Kim Hanson
12-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Big Game Hunters :rolleyes: sick shit in my eyes............( . )( . )............. :mad:

SmokinLowriderSS
12-01-2006, 04:57 PM
What's really sick is the Trophy Hunters, after a huge rack to mount on the wall, to he11 with the meat. I'm just trying to fill the freezer while enjoying time off from work. A bad day hunting beats the hell out of a good day at work. The bonus is alll the venison recipes I have.
We also have a problem with too many deer here, I see at least 4 new road-kills every week on the 30 miles from my house to the city I work in. Every one of those is a screwed up car and an injured (and possibly killed) person (except the occasional smear from a Peterbuilt). They tend to jump just as you hit one, which puts 200+ pounds of animal (as much as 350 pounds) (100 to 170 kilos) often right THROUGH the windshield on the freeway, which tends to fuk up any front-seaters. :yuk: I'm just trying to help reduce the problem.
Controlling the does is the population controll. We feed them well here from all the tillage crops and 2/3 will drop twins if the nutrition is available. Very rare in the big-game world to birth more than 1 fawn a year per doe, except Whitetails.
IF I am lucky to fill every tag available to me (I have never gotten more than 2 deer in any year), I could harvest a buck (done) and 5 does (1 down, 4 to go) removing likely 9 animals from the herds for next year, and putting as much as 400 pounds of food in my freezer.
That still ignores crop predation (eating) and damage from sleeping in corn-fields, which is significant.
It's not for you Kim, and that's fine. I'm sure you do a few things that you really enjoy that I would have no interest in either. The world needs all kinds. :boxed:

djunkie
12-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Big Game Hunters :rolleyes: sick shit in my eyes............( . )( . )............. :mad:
mmmmmmmmmm Good. :crossx: :crossx:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20537&stc=1

YeLLowBoaT
12-01-2006, 05:04 PM
I agree, if your not going to eat it, you shouldn't shoot it. One thing that many "anti hunters" don't understand is with out regulated hunting many populations of diffrent animals would out produce what the land can with stain.
I personally think bow hunting is very cruel. A deer shot with a rifle is dead very quickly. When they are shot with a bow, it can take mins to die( some times hours) When the most commen bow shot is a "lung shot", nothing like drowning in thier own blood.

Blown 472
12-01-2006, 05:21 PM
I agree, if your not going to eat it, you shouldn't shoot it. One thing that many "anti hunters" don't understand is with out regulated hunting many populations of diffrent animals would out produce what the land can with stain.
I personally think bow hunting is very cruel. A deer shot with a rifle is dead very quickly. When they are shot with a bow, it can take mins to die( some times hours) When the most commen bow shot is a "lung shot", nothing like drowning in thier own blood.
So you haven't been in wisconsin for gun deer season then? I used to late season bow hunt and saw plenty of shot up deer come thru.

YeLLowBoaT
12-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Now thats just wrong, if your not sure you can make a clean kill with a shot you should not take it. I was talking to one jack a$$ when I worked at the gun store that use to site is rifle out to 800 yds. :rolleyes: yeah like your going to hit anything at 800yd with a 415 rigby, um no.
Its ppl like that give all the other hunters a bad name.

shirkey4750
12-01-2006, 07:21 PM
What's really sick is the Trophy Hunters, after a huge rack to mount on the wall, to he11 with the meat. I'm just trying to fill the freezer while enjoying time off from work. A bad day hunting beats the hell out of a good day at work. The bonus is alll the venison recipes I have.
We also have a problem with too many deer here, I see at least 4 new road-kills every week on the 30 miles from my house to the city I work in. Every one of those is a screwed up car and an injured (and possibly killed) person (except the occasional smear from a Peterbuilt). They tend to jump just as you hit one, which puts 200+ pounds of animal (as much as 350 pounds) (100 to 170 kilos) often right THROUGH the windshield on the freeway, which tends to fuk up any front-seaters. :yuk: I'm just trying to help reduce the problem.
Controlling the does is the population controll. We feed them well here from all the tillage crops and 2/3 will drop twins if the nutrition is available. Very rare in the big-game world to birth more than 1 fawn a year per doe, except Whitetails.
IF I am lucky to fill every tag available to me (I have never gotten more than 2 deer in any year), I could harvest a buck (done) and 5 does (1 down, 4 to go) removing likely 9 animals from the herds for next year, and putting as much as 400 pounds of food in my freezer.
That still ignores crop predation (eating) and damage from sleeping in corn-fields, which is significant.
It's not for you Kim, and that's fine. I'm sure you do a few things that you really enjoy that I would have no interest in either. The world needs all kinds. :boxed:
Just ask my wife, totaled her blazer a couple of weeks ago.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/120DSC01084.JPG
But revenge is sweet.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/120Camp_Pictures_004.jpg

SmokinLowriderSS
12-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Now thats just wrong, if your not sure you can make a clean kill with a shot you should not take it. I was talking to one jack a$$ when I worked at the gun store that use to site is rifle out to 800 yds. :rolleyes: yeah like your going to hit anything at 800yd with a 415 rigby, um no.
Its ppl like that give all the other hunters a bad name.
Agreed wholeheartedly, that and a .416 RIGBY for a few hundred pounds (max) of DEER????? Well, hope he enjoyed the recieving end of the African anti-elephant artillery piece, gads. 60 pounds of recoil from what I have seen. :2purples: :2purples: OUCH!
Just did a look in my loading data, the big 400 grain bullet takes an act of god to get it over 2,000 FPS, and 2100 is highly unlikely. the 350 grainer is somewhat better, 2200+FPS is available, which makes the rifle good for about 200 yards, max. At 800 yards, I wonder how high he was shooting at 400 and 500 yards, I would bet about 3 feet, maybe higher. Out-done balistically by the modern 150-grain capable muzzleloader looks like.
'Course (and not to bash on anyone here) but we have folks here in Ks with an obsession with using the 7MM Rem Magnum for whitetails. Fine with me, but just overkill, way overkill. 'Course, IMO overkill is WAY better than the opposite. :cool: Some folks in some states get to (and do) use .223 remington. :mad:
The Mag guys figure they are good to go out to 400 or 500 yards tho (well, not all of them, but some do). If they are good enough shots, cool, a lot are not.
I set my range out a little ways, 1" high at 200 yards puts me dead on at 300, about 4" low at 350, only about 2+" high in at 100 yards. 300+ yards would put me picking them off the neighbor's property anyhow, and all of it is posted and painted purple (no hunting color code).
So far, I have never tried a shot beyond 225 yards, and so far, 7 of my 9 kills in the recent years I have become an annual deer hunter have been within 10 of 100 yards, 1 at aprox 175, the 225'er. Those 2 long ones were the same day too, about 5 min apart.The comotion stirred a small herd out of a tree-grove, and they stopped to look to figure it out, stopped too long for 1.
Shirkey, since you didn't mention it, I'll assume your wife was uninjured, which I am happy for. Sure woulda been clean undie time tho. :p
A few weeks ago, I crocked a roast all night on low, then made up a rich bourbon/brown sugar/molasses/maple syrup/ketsup/vinegar/onion/garlic/etc BBQ sauce, and left it in the pot that day (after deboning and shredding it) ...... Man oh man......... :) :) :)
Damn, wonder if I have another roast downstairs. :idea:

Mrs.Racer277
12-02-2006, 07:22 AM
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww why did I look. :yuk:
You killed Bambi :cry: :cry: :cry:

SmokinLowriderSS
12-02-2006, 07:27 AM
And I'm not knocking the guys who take home 27 non-typical points to mount on the wall AND 150 pounds of steaks, backstraps,and burger home. That'd be ME if one like him ever walks out in front of me. :cry:
Once in a while, I slice the backstraps, soak them ikn a corrupted margarita marinade (tequilla, lime, onion, garlic, a bit of chili powder) and grill lightly for "deeritas". another yummmmy. :)

SmokinLowriderSS
12-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Nope, Bambi's aunt, and cousin. :)
I think I have a line on where her step-sister is hanging out these days too. :idea:
:p :) :)

Mrs.Racer277
12-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Nope, Bambi's aunt, and cousin. :)
I think I have a line on where her step-sister is hanging out these days too. :idea:
:p :) :)
LOL
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

YeLLowBoaT
12-02-2006, 07:36 AM
I have met several "professional hunters" ( not the ones on tv, but the ones that are hired to thin heards/take out sick animals) and almost all of them use .223. Then again all they do is head shot at close range, normally close to houses so they don't want something that can go a mile or more.
If you see a 200lb deer in CA your damn lucky. Something like a 22-250 or a 243 is more then enough in CA to work with the right bullet. I personally use a 30-06( but I don't hunt deer... pigs yes, deer hunting in CA cost $$$ and so much BS its not fun)
Its funny most ppl that are "anti deer hunting" change thier mind after the population explodes and they eat every thing in thier yards...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-02-2006, 07:37 AM
It ok hun. Ill hand you a few tissues:)
LMFAO, she said bambi

SmokinLowriderSS
12-02-2006, 08:16 AM
I have met several "professional hunters" ( not the ones on tv, but the ones that are hired to thin heards/take out sick animals) and almost all of them use .223. Then again all they do is head shot at close range, normally close to houses so they don't want something that can go a mile or more.
If you see a 200lb deer in CA your damn lucky. Something like a 22-250 or a 243 is more then enough in CA to work with the right bullet. I personally use a 30-06( but I don't hunt deer... pigs yes, deer hunting in CA cost $$$ and so much BS its not fun)
Its funny most ppl that are "anti deer hunting" change thier mind after the population explodes and they eat every thing in thier yards...
At least the guides do use the calibre in a manner that is fitting to it's abilities, and I don't have a problem with that, a lot of folks don't tho. Heck, .22 rimfire works great I hear if you can slip it in the ear hole before pulling the trigger, a feat much easier said than done. :crossx:
Yes, deer size varies all over, I am lucky to be here where they get big, head S, E, or West and the natural forage is much worse in quantity, so they grows much smaller. A friend of mine in Tennessee remarks about hunting "dogs" since he claims many are close in size to a healthy German Sheppard. Kansas has a .25 calibre minimum limit here, which I think is apropriate. It does unfortunately kick out a capable round or 2 like the .243, and allow some of the 25's which IMO have very few bullets correctly designed for large animals. Most are thin-jacketed for varmit and pest use, much smaller animals (coyotes, prarie dogs, chucks, etc), and not really suited to getting deep in the vitals of an animal over a foot thick, with heavy rib and shoulder bones and large, thick, muscle groups. Again, shot selection is paramount. I have a wider array of angles at ranges I can work from with my .308 than from my .50 muzzleloader, or a hot .25, let alone a hot .22 due to the capabilities of the round to get where it needs to to be as quick and humane as possible.
The NE used to be very heavy anti-deer-hunting back when the herds were unfortunately overhunted in the 60's and 70's. Then, in the late 80's and 90's, they overgrew so much, those folks who were anti-kill became very anti-deer since they were sleeping in thir yards (welcome), eating their expensive decorative shrubs & bushes (much less welcome), and becoming a road hazzard (also not popular), rutting sparring behavior tearing up trees, mailboxes, and other stuff a buck could get his horns into.
Due to house congestion, several towns set up some special rules, permits, training, etc, and even permitted bowhunters INSIDE town, as long as you found someone who would let you hunt their property of course. Very successful program, over the screeches of "birth-controll" animal rights loons, not very expensive (for the govts involved or the hunters), very little if any property damage issues, and after a number of years, a much better balance was reached, with all parties happy (well, OK, not the animal rights bunch, but you gota break a few eggs to get an omelette).
I know that's not the only area, just one my reading has run me across. Have heard of similar problems in the south, with them literally trying to survive in forest areas eating the pine branches within reach, which is much poorer forage than the animal is designed for. One of these years, in some of these areas, there will come a severe winter, with a huge natural kill from starvation, such a shame.
Here 15 years ago, you sent $$ in for a deer permit lottery, hoped, and maybe, put in for a leftover tag to get 2, MAYBE 3 in a 2nd leftover drawing.
About 5 or 6 years ago, you could buy the tags over-counter at license retailers (Wal-Mart, etc) and DWP offices. Must buy an any-sex tag first, then doe carcas tags up to a max number limit, 5 I think. The herd had been under-harvested for years and needed thinning. Some places in Ks it is getting close to "about right" and the January antlerless only firearm season does not aply, and tags are fewer in those areas. In other areas, still heavilly overpopulated, is still like the above.
One of these years, I want to hunt pigs. Lots of them nearby, just not Ks. Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, lots of wild boar hunting there. Something new for the freezer and the L. L. Bean cookbook. :)

SmokinLowriderSS
12-02-2006, 08:21 AM
LOL
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Come by in a few weeks for a pan of Lasagna, or a plate of my Bermuda Stroganoff. :)
Perhaps my fajittas instead? Chilli? Enchilladas? Picadillo?:D :D

YeLLowBoaT
12-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Come by in a few weeks for a pan of Lasagna, or a plate of my Bermuda Stroganoff. :)
Perhaps my fajittas instead? Chilli? Enchilladas? Picadillo?:D :D
Just send her( and me) 1 lb of jerky... after she try it she will want to go hunting next year.

YeLLowBoaT
12-02-2006, 08:28 AM
a hot 22lr works very good on deer. A few years back, I was out plinking when I saw a deer that had a arrow stuck in its back hip. It was in alot of pain and could barly walk a 22 to the head at about 35ish yards droped it like a stone. Me and a few friends went strait to the ranger after that. I would like to find the person that took a shot like that and shoo them in the ass with a bow.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-02-2006, 10:16 AM
a hot 22lr works very good on deer. A few years back, I was out plinking when I saw a deer that had a arrow stuck in its back hip. It was in alot of pain and could barly walk a 22 to the head at about 35ish yards droped it like a stone. Me and a few friends went strait to the ranger after that. I would like to find the person that took a shot like that and shoo them in the ass with a bow.
Nicely done, a shame it had to be done tho. :skull: