PDA

View Full Version : So how was YOUR day???

boatsnblondes
11-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Had my first Amtrak train vs. car today....not a good day. Three minor injuries aboard the train, driver of the car didn't make it. Cab car rose up in the air about 5 feet, came back down on the rail head, don't ask me how...ever hear that story of when you honestly think you are gonna die the time, the moment just stops?? It's all true...I don't remember the moments leading up to the impact, or those just after, but I'll never forget the sound of the impact, or the look on his face when he finally looked up and saw me there....say a little prayer tonight, all of you, that you made it home safe, and for Gods sake, stay off the rails.... :cry:
Link to the story.....
http://www.kget.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=83257E53-527B-4A04-BAA8-C798246EE8D2

Throttle
11-29-2006, 10:00 PM
my day does not end till Friday at 8am when I get off work... If I get off work my day will have been awsome! :rollside:

Wheeler
11-29-2006, 10:06 PM
I am very sorry, you have to deal with this.

mbrown2
11-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hear, but glad to hear you are ok and none of your passengers lost their life....

boatsnblondes
11-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Ya know Rio, was not that way this time...more like he maybe lost track of where he was for a moment.....did not feel like a suicide, but he was DEFINATLY not trying to beat me....he just rolled out in front of me at about 5-6 mph...never looked until the last second...I just feel bad tonight...I feel like this guy did not deserve this...the crossing is a nightmare, no gates, 80 mph trains all day....he just drifted out and there I was.......

Magic34
11-29-2006, 11:58 PM
I have a close friend in Kansas who was on the railroad for years. He had an accident in the last couple years of his career and he has issues with it this very day. He sees a Dr. often to deal with what he went though and the guilt he has every day.
I dont know the particulars of his, but take care of yourself with any help you may need. If your company offers any assistance, be sure to use it.
I know it holds my friend back at times where he will seclude himself for weeks at a time.
Sorry that you and the victim's family has to go though this.

Kachina26
11-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Sorry you have to deal with this man. My 3 weeks on the road during training there was one suicide, one bad jump onto a box car and one idiot tried to beat a train. I was very thankful that I didn't witness any of them. My uncle has hit a few people, made eye contact with one of the suicides. Last thing that guy saw was one pissed off conductor calling him everyname in the book. Most importantly, remember, you didn't do anything wrong. You could not have changed this. Don't blame yourself! Thoughts are with ya brotha.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Rode the amtrax/metro link daily for a decade.
Had more than several fatal incidences, sorry you went through it, it sux.
Think a few were suicides.
No excuse to get hit by a train.

killerbeez
11-30-2006, 04:11 AM
I am getting laid off today due to reduction in work force.It seems to be happening alot in the construction industry right now. :cry:

SmokinLowriderSS
11-30-2006, 04:56 AM
BNB, glad you and your passengers are okay. Thanks for helping 'stamp out stupid'. Anyone that has their head so far up their a*s that they don't pay attention at a rail crossing deserves a slap in the face with a couple hundred tons of steel.
The linked article is something an idiot politition would come up with! :rolleyes:
"that residents of rural communities don’t have the most basic protections to keep them from driving into the path of an oncoming train,”->DUH!
Guess our country bumpkin cousins are just too damn stoooopid to look both ways for the choo/choo train! Prolly need a little ol' man with a crossing sign at every RRXing.
How come this doesn't bother me in the least? Glad the innocents didn't get hurt and sorry the train has to go to the body shop. (hey Pixilated, got some work for your old man-lol).
BNB, right below your train window you oughta put a decal of a car with a red slash thru it.
Rio
This is one of those mements I get accused of being harsh, and am in the same "boat" as rio. It has always been my belief that "the most basic protection" from getting hit by a train, is a functioning brain and thought process to watch out for the damn thing and not get in front of it if it is moving.
How many idiots dodge the cross-bars?
At that point, do we need manned guards at the crossings?
How about the train must slow to 3mph at all crossings, city or rural so that any collisions at crossings will be minor and non-lethal?
When are we allowed to be "unsympathetic" toward stupidity killing someone?
I cross an "un-lighted" (let alone non-cross-barr'd) rail crossing every single day I head west, which is 95% of the time. Often it is dicey as it has a siding, near a grain elevator which often has a string of grain cars parked on it, is well above-road-grade coming from my side of it,and hedge tree-lines on the edge of the right-of-way south of the roadway. Fortunately, I cross it mostly at night, with a 1/2-mile approach I can spend searching for any trace of oncoming hugely bright lights as a warning. I keep my brain in gear, period.
It does have 2 very nice, white, x-shaped signs marking the crossing tho. :)
BNB, I'm glad you were not hurt, also none of your pasengers or crew hurt badly. That kind of impact vertical makes for re-work on the railbed & tracks doesn't it? The locomotive can't like that too much either. One hell of a lot of weight coming downward.

Debbolas
11-30-2006, 06:51 AM
I'm sorry that happened to you. I had no idea train engineers saw death so frequently. That must be difficult for you. I have all kinds of respect for you all.
Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day ;)

Kachina26
11-30-2006, 08:30 AM
At that point, do we need manned guards at the crossings?
How about the train must slow to 3mph at all crossings, city or rural so that any collisions at crossings will be minor and non-lethal? BNSF has a different solution, called operation life saver. They are doing all they can to close as many crossings as possible. They are gathering data of events like this to support their arguments. We have cards to report those who cross unsafely. I'm convinced it isn't really for public safety, but rather to help put into place the mechanism for one man crews. But that's another topic for another forum.
Hope you're doing well today, BNB.

Mrs.Racer277
11-30-2006, 08:36 AM
It was the front page of the paper this am.
Glad to hear you are ok.

boatsnblondes
11-30-2006, 11:40 AM
YEah, I saw that..and now the good senator wants to have a news conferance on the site.....great....theres always one.... :mad: