PDA

View Full Version : My son is going in for surgery

wright27
11-30-2006, 07:43 AM
I am needing some positive feedback. It is nothing major. He broke his elbow last weekend riding and needs pins put in. I am so nervous. I have had a few surgeries myself, I know it is nothing to worry about, but he is only 13. He is still my little bud no matter how old he is or how big he is getting. I got to be the strong dad, so I cannot let him know I am nervous.

Devil's Advocate
11-30-2006, 07:45 AM
It's normal to be nervous. Try not to worry, I'm sure he's in very good hands and your little guy will be just fine! :)

phebus
11-30-2006, 07:45 AM
Of course your nervous. That's love showing through, and I'm sure he see's some of it, and it's O.K. It let's him know you care.

Bow Tie Omega
11-30-2006, 08:00 AM
Hang in there. IMO there is nothing worse than when your children get sick and have to spend some time in the hospital. I have a two year old who was born 5 weeks premature and have had to spend a good bit of time in the hospital due to issues stemming from him being premature, mostly immune system issues. Your son will be fine. Believe it or not, his confidence will depend on you and your confidence. Give him a hug, try to be the last person he see's before surgery and the first when he wakes up. During the surgery, it will be a good time to catch up on some Hot Boat Magazine, reading will distract you as well. Hang in there. Moments like this are when people become "parents". Good luck to you and your son.

wright27
11-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Of course your nervous. That's love showing through, and I'm sure he see's some of it, and it's O.K. It let's him know you care.
The love you have for your kids, it is so crazy to love someone that much. I am just trying to keep him from being scared. Telling him it is no big deal. If he sees me scared he will be scared. He goes in today at 1:00pm. I have said some good prayers.

Mr. C
11-30-2006, 08:07 AM
My son had a couple of pins put in his hand last year. He was pretty nervous waiting to go in for surgery, we asked the doctors if he could listen to his ipod during surgery. They said no problem and it calmed him down alot (even though it was his mosh pit music sh*t). Funny thing is during surgery they changed to one of the doctors ipods (opera type music).
Everything worked out just fine and I'm sure it will for you and your son as well.
May i suggest a double goose on the rocks for your nerves :rollside:
Good luck

Mr. C
11-30-2006, 08:15 AM
And don't forget to asked him alot of questions when he is starting to wake up. You will be suprised at some of the answers. He won't remember answering so you can bring them up at the dinner table or in the car, the blank stares (how did you know that) i got were priceless.

wright27
11-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Hang in there. IMO there is nothing worse than when your children get sick and have to spend some time in the hospital. I have a two year old who was born 5 weeks premature and have had to spend a good bit of time in the hospital due to issues stemming from him being premature, mostly immune system issues. Your son will be fine. Believe it or not, his confidence will depend on you and your confidence. Give him a hug, try to be the last person he see's before surgery and the first when he wakes up. During the surgery, it will be a good time to catch up on some Hot Boat Magazine, reading will distract you as well. Hang in there. Moments like this are when people become "parents". Good luck to you and your son.
Thanks. Glad to hear all is great with your child.
Great idea about the Hot boat mag. I will take a few, otherwise I will stuck reading National Geographic. :)

All-Star
11-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Yes it is super scary to have your children in the hospital. And What a great father you are for being so concerned.
I wanted to let you know that I also had elbow surgery. I shattered the tip of my elbow and broke the Ulna Bone. They placed 3 pins and 3 wires in my arm. Then I went in for another surgery to remove all the hardware.
My major recomendation is to please, please, please make sure that once he is out (And I know he will be out of surgery fine!).... Go to every single bit of Physical therapy that you can. And do not miss an appointment. I kind of took it lightly and now I have a crooked arm (Not to bad). Only I can really tell, no one else really seems to notice.
Once they took the hardware out they let me go to more physical therapy and I am seeing more improvement. If my arm does not go all the way straight then they will give me a brace to wear at night to force it to go straight by tightening it a little bit every night. But If I had really been better in the very begining then maybe this would not have happened.
So I wish you and your son luck and my prayers will be with you and your family.
P.S. And if you are concerned about the scar.... just let me know, I have some killer topical ointment that really takes the scar away. :idea:
Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Ziggy
11-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Best of wishes for your son. I lived through multiple major surguries on my sons ears when he was between 10-15. Real scary shit for me but had to put my trust in the Dr. Thankfully now he does has about 50% hearing instead of having the chance of loosing it or worse..
Defenitely take your own reading material, and I have to totally agree ask some interesting questions :p

topless
11-30-2006, 09:16 AM
My son broke his arm roller blading when he was 9. He droke bothe the ulna and radius so his arm was just hanging there. He also had to go into surgery the next day because they couldn't set it. Yeah, it was scary but he came out with flying colors. Hang in there, he'll be fine.

Charley
11-30-2006, 09:17 AM
W27 it's normal to be concerned, you sound like a good dad...Ironically I had 2 buddies in the middle of possibly 2 worse situations just last night with their daughters in emergency rooms.... One popped 20 asprin after her boyfriend broke up with her, the other has bolemia and was rushed to the ER based on some blood test results they took earlier this week, I guess she had like a 0 chloride rating and another very low reading putting her at risk of immediate heart attack....she is 19 the other brokenhearted girl is 14.....best of luck with the surgery, hopefully things will be ok with your son.

Not So Fast
11-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Try this one on. One fine day when my twins were 10, after baseball where ne got hit in the back of the head with a ball, two days later he complains of his head hurting so off to the emergency at Mission Viejo Regional. Long story short, we are told he has to have brain surgery immediately for a large blood clot (1/3 the size of his brain) and you can imagine our feelings. the next 3 days were hell because not only did they do one surgery they had to open him back up because the body formed a sack in the space where the clot was removed. He played the 2nd half of baseball season and is now 28. I am so proud of him (my other sons also) I thank God !!! Name of the surgeon was Jaques Palmer at MVRH who was head of the trauma unit, exellent is all I can say. Moral to this, treat all hits to the head as life threatning. :chi: NSF

ratso
11-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Tell him that the chick's dig it... :D

Not So Fast
11-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Oh, and most important, GOOD LUCK!!! NSF

Trailer Park Casanova
11-30-2006, 10:04 AM
Tell him that the chick's dig it... :D
That's so true.
It's good they now have this surgery, and it's perfected, he'll do fine.

Throttle
11-30-2006, 10:05 AM
good luck, hope for a good recovery soon!

Her454
11-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Wright, I had SEVERAL pins and a few rods put in my arm a few years ago. SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME until after it was over. Had no idea what I was in for so just be there for him and assure him everything will be ok. Good luck .....to you both :)

wright27
11-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Thank you to all. Hearing stories of similar and much more serious events with good endings helps alot. Well I am off to the hospital.
Thanks again.

pixilatedpussy
11-30-2006, 11:08 AM
I am needing some positive feedback. It is nothing major. He broke his elbow last weekend riding and needs pins put in. I am so nervous. I have had a few surgeries myself, I know it is nothing to worry about, but he is only 13. He is still my little bud no matter how old he is or how big he is getting. I got to be the strong dad, so I cannot let him know I am nervous.
He will be fine. You are such a sweet & amazing dad to be so concerned. Wish him luck from the Pixi family. :rollside: :rollside:
Mind if I ask how her broke it riding?? What does he ride?

catman-do
11-30-2006, 11:21 AM
He will be ok. Ive gone through a few surguries in which they put pins in me. Not a big deal, it just hurts like hell when you accidentally flinch and the pins tighten up. Good luck on the heeling. Make the scar BIG because chicks dig scars!

boatnam2
11-30-2006, 12:12 PM
dont worry about it,if hes a rider he will get use to it.our kid goes down and gets pins put in by himself now.

wright27
12-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Well all went well. He is a trooper. Doc wanted him to stay over night, but said it was up to him. Two hours after surgery he got up got dressed the nursed wheeled him out, he puked all over himself , cleaned up and went home.
His response was 4th gear pinned through the whoops, got knocked out broke my elbow stuck my braces through my lip and it didn't even hurt that bad, I am not scared of anything now.
Thanks for all the support.

Mr. C
12-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Glad to hear everything went well for him. Like someone else said, don't miss any of his rehab appointments.

wright27
12-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Glad to hear everything went well for him. Like someone else said, don't miss any of his rehab appointments.
I will make sure he hits them all. I have made many rehab mistake myself. I don't want him ending up like me. :cry:

livin da dream
12-01-2006, 10:50 AM
hang in there dad. Been there done that at 12 years old with 2 screws in my elbow. Now at 50+ just livin da dream and healthy(knock on wood).
My brother 3 years older(at 15) broke his wrist with a similar accident- (we were involved in marshal arts-competition) and he was lazy with therapy and suffered for many years.
I was religious with therapy (discipline) and was stronger after the acccident.
work with you child in getting him strong and he will do well. Stay engaged with his recovery and both of you will be stonger
Make it happen Dad