PDA

View Full Version : 496HO question

phebus
01-23-2006, 04:14 PM
In the throttle body on the 496HO, is a IAC muffler. It is just a block of foam, with a hole in it. Can someone tell me which direction to place the foam in the housing? Which direction does the hole face?
Thanks

Beer-30
01-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Doesn't need it. Throw it away.

phebus
01-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Took it out, and can't stand the hissing noise. Besides that, while at idle, you hear the IAC cycling on and off. Don't like that either. :mad:

Mandelon
01-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Damn you are hard to please today. :rolleyes:

Phat Matt
01-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Turn your stereo up. :)

phebus
01-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Turn your stereo up. :)
Speaking of which....I installed the new Phoenix Gold amps I bought from Wes (1200.1, and 200.4), and the new system really kicks ass. It sounds so good, my wife will hate me. Slow down, turn down the stereo....I'm gonna kill the poor girl. :rollside: :argue: :rollside:

phebus
01-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Damn you are hard to please today. :rolleyes:
I am, but I've had one of those days.
Don't you hate it when you have a problem with something, and the person you are talking to about it tells you, "Boy, I've never heard of that before", or "I've never seen that happen before"
Lucky me......... :mad:

Phat Matt
01-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Speaking of which....I installed the new Phoenix Gold amps I bought from Wes (1200.1, and 200.4), and the new system really kicks ass. It sounds so good, my wife will hate me. Slow down, turn down the stereo....I'm gonna kill the poor girl. :rollside: :argue: :rollside:
Nice! :)

Kilrtoy
01-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Put a RAYLAR in it , That will solve everything :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
This was only a joke

shadow
01-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Put a RAYLAR in it , That will solve everything :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
This was only a joke
solved mine and gained me 10mph smartass. :D

Kilrtoy
01-23-2006, 05:34 PM
solved mine and gained me 10mph smartass. :D
There always has to be one , right :rollside:

THOR
01-23-2006, 05:45 PM
In the throttle body on the 496HO, is a IAC muffler. It is just a block of foam, with a hole in it. Can someone tell me which direction to place the foam in the housing? Which direction does the hole face?
Thanks
Is this the same as the filter? Can you post a pic. I'd like to see this part you all are tossing.

phebus
01-23-2006, 06:56 PM
I will post a picture later, but it is a small (approx 1/2" X 1/2") cube of white (when new) filter like material, inserted at the top of the throttle body. You can see it, and access it just be removing your engine air filter.
Mercury calls it the IAC muffler. Mine was removed after my boat was stalling when shifting in gear from neutral. The mechanic said if they become clogged, the IAC cannot function, and the engine cannot adjust idle speed for the load placed on it, and your engine will stall.
The mechanic said it was there just for sound reasons, and provided no other function, and could be removed. The problem is, when removed, you hear a hissing sound at idle, and I don't like it (obviously I'm not alone, hence the reason for the gall darned part)
So, today I went and bought a new one. It is basically a square that has a small hole from one side to the other. I asked which way to install it, and was told to install it with the hole in the direction of air flow. Here lies the problem. The air enters from the front of the throttle body, and exits from the side (or visa versa on the flow). In other words, the air doesn't flow straight through, but enters and exits at a right angle.
O.K., I am a slow typer, and I'm into my second beer, but I hope you got my drift.........
Oh, and I'm not sure if that was even my problem, as the boat stalled when I took it off the trailer, and shifted from reverse to neutral and then back to forward. That was the only time it stalled though, and I tried to go in and out of gear a bunch of times to test it.
Whew.........

THOR
01-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Mine might be removed already cuz I hear a hissing noise now. I have a whopping 38 hours on the boat now. :)

Beer-30
01-23-2006, 09:32 PM
It is a little foam piece that fits in the square opening at 12 o'clock. Directly above the throttle blade. A rubber hose connects a nipple to the back of the motor - where the IAC motor is. The air is filtered, so there is no need for the foam in there.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/503/2433KN1.jpg

phebus
01-23-2006, 09:44 PM
It is a little foam piece that fits in the square opening at 12 o'clock. Directly above the throttle blade. A rubber hose connects a nipple to the back of the motor - where the IAC motor is. The air is filtered, so there is no need for the foam in there.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/503/2433KN1.jpg
If you have the stock Mercury flame arrestor, the air isn't filtered at all. the screen is for fire protection, and belt dust, contaminants, etc. get on the foam muffler, and plug it up over time. Only if you have a aftermarket filter like a K&N, is the air actually filtered.

Raylar
01-25-2006, 08:37 AM
I think I am going to have you guys start answering all my tech emails, you guys are just getting to good!! See ya at the LA Show!!
Ray @ Raylar :rollside:

phebus
01-25-2006, 09:01 AM
I think I am going to have you guys start answering all my tech emails, you guys are just getting to good!! See ya at the LA Show!!
Ray @ Raylar :rollside:
So, which way does the hole go.....grasshopper? :rollside:

desertbird
01-25-2006, 10:35 AM
So, today I went and bought a new one. It is basically a square that has a small hole from one side to the other. I asked which way to install it, and was told to install it with the hole in the direction of air flow. Here lies the problem. The air enters from the front of the throttle body, and exits from the side (or visa versa on the flow). In other words, the air doesn't flow straight through, but enters and exits at a right angle.
If the hole was truly in the direction of air flow, it wouldn't really be a filter, would it! I recommend that you install the little booger with the hole facing the outlet and the filter side facing the Throttle Body inlet.
I have the K&N Filter, and my 496 hisses, so I don't think I have the filter piece either. Probably sucked it in the motor! :rollside:

phebus
01-25-2006, 10:49 AM
If the hole was truly in the direction of air flow, it wouldn't really be a filter, would it! I recommend that you install the little booger with the hole facing the outlet and the filter side facing the Throttle Body inlet.
I have the K&N Filter, and my 496 hisses, so I don't think I have the filter piece either. Probably sucked it in the motor! :rollside:
No, it isn't meant to be a filter. It is what Mercury calls a muffler, and is meant to quiet the air from the IAC. It does work, as my boat sounds a lot different with it out.

Beer-30
01-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Desertbird, mine has never had it either. I was also thinking it got sucked into the motor / IAC. I don't think it could get through the hose, though.
Phebus, I have the K&N on. That pic I posted was for all those peeps that thought the screen was actually a filter / boats don't need filters. The dirt around the inlet shows we need filters.
I, for one, don't mind the whistle as I am always listening for proper / improper sounds.