PDA

View Full Version : Kids 4 Wheelers

Wet Dream
11-30-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm ready to outfit my kids with 4 wheelers. The wife has hers, I'm still looking, but the boys are ready. One is 7, weighs in at an average build at 75 lbs. He is the balls out kid. He drives the boat like a bat outta hell and doesn't bother him. The other one is 10 and he's a big kid. A little on the tame side, but tips the scales at 130. What are good rides for these guys? We don't have dunes out here, we have nothing but hills, wooded areas/ coal strip mines and plenty of trails.

selfmade
11-30-2006, 04:43 PM
I just bought an 07 kfx 90 for my 7 year old daughter. I like it because its green sticker first of all and second is the footpeg area is completely closed in so she cant get her foot caught by the rear wheel. I just turned down the throttle completely and it slowed the bike down enough to make me feel comfortable.

revndave
11-30-2006, 04:57 PM
I bought the Polaris Predator 90 for my 10 yr old.He rides the crap out of that thing.Stay away from China quads.We had one last only 4 days out in the desert.

OCMerrill
11-30-2006, 05:15 PM
My daughter is 7 and rides a Honda Fourtrax 90. Its now two years old and runs flawless. This year has elec. start which is a big plus. My daughter can now pull start it herself as she got tired of waiting for me or my wife to start it all the time. Kids adapt quick. My son is 3 and rides a LT50 so cant help you there.
As for your other boy you need something bigger. There is a huge gap in selection but the Honda 250 or 300 (with a clutch) EX Fourtrax.
or -
Yamaha Blaster might be a good choice but only a kick start and an old school air cooled two stroke 200 machine with updated plastics. Manual clutch and Looks good. If he is a bit timid this might be to much for him.
I am a fan of Honda but any name brand is pretty good.
Any thing you get them...you will be a big hero no matter what. My kids love to go out and will pack their own gear bags, wash their own machines, etc. My daughter wants a lighted whip for xmas. Life is good for this Dad.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-30-2006, 05:21 PM
At that age you don't want a shifting quad. Thats not until they're 11 or 12 just for safety sakes.
If the child is on the small side the KFX 90, if he's gonna be a big boy the Suzuki 90.
Both offer engine breaking. The Suzuki does 45 mph and is the only quad that has kid size hand controls.
The Polaris 4 stroke 90 is the same unit as the Kawi KFX 90 if you're pricing around.
Avoid the China quads. Tempting all shiny and new and cheap,, but they suck.

Ziggy
11-30-2006, 05:52 PM
I have a Polaris90 Predator for sale all outfitted with FMF exhaust and paddles plus the stock equip. It's otherwise bone stock reliable.
Safety details it came with is the fully protected foot wells and lanyard cutoff switch and a Horn.
Its a gas-n-go, no shifting and also has the throttle limiter. Electric start or kickstart.
This was my daughters bike.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/343polaris90quad-med.jpg

GHT
11-30-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm ready to outfit my kids with 4 wheelers. The wife has hers, I'm still looking, but the boys are ready. One is 7, weighs in at an average build at 75 lbs. He is the balls out kid. He drives the boat like a bat outta hell and doesn't bother him. The other one is 10 and he's a big kid. A little on the tame side, but tips the scales at 130. What are good rides for these guys? We don't have dunes out here, we have nothing but hills, wooded areas/ coal strip mines and plenty of trails.
They will have a ball on whatever they end up with.... Was thinking about pulling the trigger on one for my kid (7yrs) but I think I'm going to wait a couple more years..

Wet Dream
11-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Very cool. Thanks for the replies. With the growing stages, I doubt I'm going with something brand new. I want them to learn the basics first, then graduate into clutch shifting (gotta start somewhere). I love the full foot well. Anyone that has ever started riding and tried to put their foot down knows what I'm talking about. :D