PDA

View Full Version : No More Rhinos?

2forcefull
11-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Heard this from the yamaha dealer,
He said that Yamaha stoped production on the rhino,
he also said that Yamaha would not say why!
I would think that there is one of two reasons,
#1 they are comming out with a new wider bigger motor
unit and they want to make sure that all the others are sold
#2 they up to there elbows in wrongfull deaths and major
injurie law suites.

Garrddogg
11-30-2006, 06:27 PM
:cry:

djunkie
11-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Lots of rumors are floating around. We'll see what really happens. Glad I got one though. :rollside:

riverroyal
11-30-2006, 06:36 PM
so when the 08 are out the dont have 07 inventory left,That my guess.They are hot here in socal,but theres alotta country out there that cant go for a 12k hunting golfcart

Beer-30
11-30-2006, 06:37 PM
I heard the boat manufacturers got together and formed a union to stop production. It seems boat sales and useage had come to a screaming halt, due to the Rhino fad. They were not willing to take it laying down.
j/k :cool:

2Driver
11-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Sort of glad my 16K investment is gone and I can go pre-runner shopping. :D :D

2forcefull
11-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Lots of rumors are floating around. We'll see what really happens. Glad I got one though. :rollside:
the dealer I talked to said the only rhino they are getting are from other dealers that can't sell what they got.
guess if you are in 4 foot of snow you aint running out and buing a summer toy

2forcefull
11-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Sort of glad my 16K investment is gone and I can go pre-runner shopping. :D :D
you had a real nice rhino!! :cool:

77charger
11-30-2006, 06:48 PM
How long did they expect the trend to last first it was golf carts then lifted ones,Xr50s,atc70s,rhinos whats next?

djunkie
11-30-2006, 06:58 PM
How long did they expect the trend to last first it was golf carts then lifted ones,Xr50s,atc70s,rhinos whats next?
Well from what I can tell, people are still building custom golf carts, 50's, and 70's. Just not on this forum.

GHT
11-30-2006, 07:00 PM
I agree with the second post.... They have the 07's out and will continue through the year (would imagine). That means (if the rumor is true) they should be available into 08'....
Law suits wouldn't be the problem, in my opinion. If that were the case they would stop production of all dirt bikes, quads, snow mobiles, etc.... There are more people killed on those than Rhinos...

2Driver
11-30-2006, 07:11 PM
or coffee at McDonalds

djunkie
11-30-2006, 07:18 PM
or coffee at McDonalds
LOL!!!!! :crossx: :crossx:

GHT
11-30-2006, 07:19 PM
or jet ski's :cry:
Now Jet Skis are something they SHOULD quit producing..... F'ing Lake Lice.. :crossx: :)

RiverRatMike
11-30-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm glad I got mine also

2forcefull
11-30-2006, 07:31 PM
vegasrhinoscom has rhinos for 10300, no blue, green or camo that does not include tax

vee-driven
11-30-2006, 08:32 PM
i dont know about all that,
Because when we were in glamis over the weekend for turkey day a few of my friends have fixed up rhinos and 4 japanese guys from yamaha of japan were wandering around and stopped by our camp and were asking us what we did and did not like about the rhinos and what we would like to see on future rhinos.

riverracerx
11-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Just wait till next August and you will be able to buy the Kawasaki, or even better...wait till late sept and buy the Honda version....

2forcefull
11-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Just wait till next August and you will be able to buy the Kawasaki, or even better...wait till late sept and buy the Honda version....
heard honda pulled out, Ithink there will still be rhinos but I'll bet that they have a new model in the works longer travel , more power and wider track

work2play
11-30-2006, 09:15 PM
I bet they just stopped production on the currant model and will have the new 700 motor, and maybe powersteering next year.

duffster
11-30-2006, 09:16 PM
I hear stand up jet ski are the next fad coming in to play "1500cc 4-strokes" :rollside:

2forcefull
11-30-2006, 09:38 PM
I bet they just stopped production on the currant model and will have the new 700 motor, and maybe powersteering next year.
thats what I'm think'n .
the dealer said they told him that they stopped production, and wouldn't say why

Chubby4Life
11-30-2006, 09:45 PM
thats what I'm think'n .
the dealer said they told him that they stopped production, and wouldn't say why
Supply and demand maybe?

76ANTHONY
11-30-2006, 09:48 PM
maybe yamaha ran outta squirrels :D :D :idea: :D

2forcefull
11-30-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm think'n ther is a $hit pile of them back east, and they are mak'n a major change
kinda like when the 3 wheelers were hurt'n everyone
and they came out with the quads

EAZYKILLER2006
11-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Now Jet Skis are something they SHOULD quit producing..... F'ing Lake Lice.. :crossx: :)
oh my gosh too f* funny LMFAO!!!

Magic34
11-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Think about this though...
If sales are stong, which they are, why would Yamaha stop production to start a new one? It makes no sense.
The parctical business thing to do on this is make it a seamless transition into the new model if that is the case. They can forecast ordering components fairly well, and if they had a new model ready with old inventory left over, it's simple, put incentives on old inventory and bring out the new one for $X more.
Now legally, I could see a few issues. When they had the green and camo one, they could easily claim that it is a backwoods hunting machine not intended for driving around huge bowls at the dunes. However, now they are making colors that make it more attractive and not for the forestry type stuff it was initially designed for. You are not hiding in the woods in a blue, red, or silver rhino.
Just stopping makes no sense unless there was a judgement against them, but the dealers would have heard that since it is public knowledge.

INSman
11-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Kawajabi, NO :220v: Honda, YES !!!! :cool:

MOBrien
11-30-2006, 11:17 PM
i dont know about all that,
Because when we were in glamis over the weekend for turkey day a few of my friends have fixed up rhinos and 4 japanese guys from yamaha of japan were wandering around and stopped by our camp and were asking us what we did and did not like about the rhinos and what we would like to see on future rhinos.
those guys weren't from Yamaha of Japan.....they were spies in disguise!!!! Did they show you fake business cards and everything?? :crossx:

Trailer Park Casanova
12-01-2006, 04:16 AM
It's a shame.
We've seen so many families having fun with them at the dunes this year.
Literally thousands of them just buzzing around not bothering anyone for miles having fun.
2 Rhino Deaths in So Cal this weekend, 24 nationwide year to date.
But:
Three Deaths at the Dunes Over Holiday
By Nicole Squibbs, Sun Staff Writer
Nov 30, 2006, 3:47 pm
Autopsies have been completed on the three young Californians who died after accidents at the Imperial Sand Dunes and other off-highway vehicle recreation centers during the holiday weekend, according to Imperial Deputy Coroner Investigator Chris Macken.
The first death occurred Wednesday, when 13-year-old Abigail West of Imperial, Calif., was riding an off-road vehicle that rolled over on Superstition Mountain, an off-highway recreation center 15 miles northwest of El Centro.
Macken said she was partially ejected and not wearing a helmet. He said she died of a neck fracture and blunt force trauma to the head.
The second victim was 24-year-old Guillermo Gomez of El Cajon, Calif., who died Saturday. Macken said Gomez drove his all-terrain vehicle into the Coachella Canal near Glamis, south of Highway 78, near the crossing of Ogilby Road.
Macken said Gomez' death appears to have been a drowning, because rescuers had to pull him from the canal. Evidence at the scene led them to believe Gomez could not swim, but Macken said they hadn't yet confirmed that with a family member.
The third death occurred Sunday, when 18-year-old Danielle Bernard of Lake Forest, Calif., was partially ejected in an off-road vehicle rollover.
Bernard was riding in Ocotillo Wells, an off-highway recreation center close to the northwest border of the county, off Highway 78, near the crossing of Highway 86. Macken said that Bernard, who was not wearing a helmet, died of blunt force trauma to the head.

RiverRatMike
12-01-2006, 05:06 AM
Kawajabi, NO :220v: Honda, YES !!!! :cool:
I'm so waiting for the Honda version to come out cause it will have nothing but valve problems and transmission issues! Just like there bikes.

Trailer Park Casanova
12-01-2006, 05:52 AM
I'm so waiting for the Honda version to come out cause it will have nothing but valve problems and transmission issues! Just like there bikes.
I thought it was just me experiencing that.
It all started with my new CBX.
When the engine warmed up,,,, ahhh forget it.

Chipster27
12-01-2006, 06:15 AM
Magic34 has it right. Marketing 101. These are hot and one of the few vehicles many dealers can sell at or above MSRP. This helps them compensate for the bikes they sell with little margin. Why cut the nipple off the cash cow.
The solution seems pretty simple. In most cases it appears that the cause of death is ejection and neck/head trama. Build the damn things like a pre-runner, not like a huning golf cart, or come out with 2 versions. A desert version with 5 pt harness, doors, roll cage and window nets to keep people's melons in the vehicle and a hunter version with gun rack and a place to hold your deer/beer.
They are a cool concept, but seem to be a little under powered and still in the early stages of development. I don't think Yami knew how popular they would be, or the full extent of their use.

catman-do
12-01-2006, 07:15 AM
I dont see any lawsuits that would make it through. Its not Yamaha's fault people drive these things like jackass's. People need to remember there original design was for labor. Just like the mule it was designed for farm work etc... People turning 90 degree corners at 40mph, putting back seats in, refab-ing the roll cage and making more power would all throw any law suit straight out the window. unless someone died on a Rhino doing 5 mph on a level surface and the seat ejected them out and underneath the rear tire, these arent going anywhere.

catman-do
12-01-2006, 07:22 AM
But valve problems are expected when we are putting out more compression and power. Havent you ever thought to yourself "why is it that a Honda keeps whooopin my ass!" :crossx: Tranny i havent experienced any problems with though, but then again I ride a race bike not a xr (hondas version of wr)

2forcefull
12-01-2006, 07:25 AM
But valve problems are expected when we are putting out more compression and power. Havent you ever thought to yourself "why is it that a Honda keeps whooopin my ass!" :crossx: Tranny i havent experienced any problems with though, but then again I ride a race bike not a xr (hondas version of wr)
do you ride a crf450?

havaduner
12-01-2006, 07:51 AM
those guys weren't from Yamaha of Japan.....they were spies in disguise!!!! Did they show you fake business cards and everything?? :crossx:
So, do you think it was Bo and Luke Duke??

SurfOnH20
12-01-2006, 08:21 AM
I am going to wait a couple of years until I buy a Rhino. It will be then people will be dumping them to buy something else..Extra inventory = good used prices..

Magic34
12-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Hondas are some of the slowest at the dunes. Stock for stock on the 450 quads... Suzuki is fastest, then Yamaha, then Honda. When my 700 Raptor was stock, I was beating piped Honda 450s up the hill.

THOR
12-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Pretty bold statement from a Yamaha guy that is constantly looking at the ass end of Hondas. :crossx:

Ziggy
12-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Marketing 101...........Low supply=higher prices
and/or they're about to launch new product.

GETSOME
12-01-2006, 09:10 AM
I heard from a very good source that BLM is planning on banning all rhinos at all BLM riding areas because of the deaths this past weekend. I guess they are going to vote on it in the next week or so. This could put a huge damper on the rhino owners. No Glamis and no Octillio Wells. Keep your ears open and see if it happens

Magic34
12-01-2006, 09:13 AM
I heard from a very good source that BLM is planning on banning all rhinos at all BLM riding areas because of the deaths this past weekend. I guess they are going to vote on it in the next week or so. This could put a huge damper on the rhino owners. No Glamis and no Octillio Wells. Keep your ears open and see if it happens
No way. I'm not calling you a liar, but if they ban those, they need to ban all the homemade sh*t that is out there too. Now a age limit would be good for it. Such as 16 and older.

GETSOME
12-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Dont kill the post man just word on the streets from someone high up in BLM.

Cole Trickle
12-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Wasn't one of the deaths out there this weekend in a golf cart not a Rhino?
I don't forsee them banning them. The same amount of people die in rails,bikes and quads every year.
I don't have a problem with a minimum age or drivers license.

GETSOME
12-01-2006, 09:43 AM
I agree with both of you i would hate to see them banned and it probably will not happen. Age requirement would be a good thing and i think helmets are not the worst idea in the big stuff.

Cole Trickle
12-01-2006, 09:45 AM
I agree with both of you i would hate to see them banned and it probably will not happen. Age requirement would be a good thing and i think helmets are not the worst idea in the big stuff.
I deffinatley wouldn't let drunk guys ride in the bed with out a seat belt and cage!! :crossx:

GETSOME
12-01-2006, 09:51 AM
I deffinatley wouldn't let drunk guys ride in the bed with out a seat belt and cage!! :crossx:
Drunk guy? Where? It was good times though. Would do it again in a heart beat. I cant remember laughing soo much in my life

4DAY4PLAY
12-01-2006, 09:52 AM
I remember when ATC's (3 wheelers) started taking heat because of several deaths.....then they werent made anymore, which practically cut thier value in half overnight. If Rhinos are not produced anymore...in a few years there will be no parts for them.....anyone wanna sale theres for half price right now?????? j/k

Cole Trickle
12-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Drunk guy? Where? It was good times though. Would do it again in a heart beat. I cant remember laughing soo much in my life
Next time we can bring more beer and a radio for the scenic view with the ladies.
Shoot maybe william can come next time:D

76ANTHONY
12-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Next time we can bring more beer and a radio for the scenic view with the ladies.
Shoot maybe william can come next time:D
yeah i cant wait, oh wait you never fricken invite us biatchhhhhhhhhh :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

TOBTEK
12-01-2006, 10:06 AM
heard the Kawasaki/Suzuki is INSIANE! should be able to slam moocho speakers in one of those :)

Cole Trickle
12-01-2006, 10:08 AM
yeah i cant wait, oh wait you never fricken invite us biatchhhhhhhhhh :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
Whatever dj.... :crossx:
You better get out side and rake some rocks before shortcake gets home!!!

76ANTHONY
12-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Whatever dj.... :crossx:
You better get out side and rake some rocks before shortcake gets home!!!
haha, she didnt go to work, or your house , today sucka....... :crossx:

Cole Trickle
12-01-2006, 10:32 AM
haha, she didnt go to work, or your house , today sucka....... :crossx:
Why in the world are you on the puter if the 2 of you are home? :hammer2: :hammer2: :sqeyes: :crossx: :p :D

Ziggy
12-01-2006, 10:41 AM
heard the Kawasaki/Suzuki is INSIANE! should be able to slam moocho speakers in one of those :)
Yup, that make sense to put them 12" subs 3 inches from your head......Toby,Toby,Toby :rolleyes: :p :p :D :D
Bling is so 2005, now its functional stuff to goes balls out :D Wonder what the 2007 rage will be? :idea:

Ziggy
12-01-2006, 10:42 AM
I remember when ATC's (3 wheelers) started taking heat because of several deaths.....then they werent made anymore, which practically cut thier value in half overnight. If Rhinos are not produced anymore...in a few years there will be no parts for them.....anyone wanna sale theres for half price right now?????? j/k
I remember it well.......and those new quad thingys are funky looking ;) Who'd ever have guessed they were sliced bread :D

Bense468
12-01-2006, 11:17 AM
I ride a yamaha banshee but you want me to show you the junk parts pile from a yamaha 450. Titanium valve streched, and hung open on a NEW bike. Piston, rod, cylinder, crank, and head all toast. Worst lunch I've ever seen. After researching. Yamaha doesn't back these as its a "race" bike and people are having to replace pistons after 30 hours. Lots of problems. No different then the honda. What do you do when you have a new bike you paid too much money for and now it costs you 2 grand to fix?
I'll stick to my 2 strokes. Still kicks all the other 4 strokers ass up the hill and I can re-build it out in the sand if I have to. At 2 grand less then then the 450 from the stealership. Shit with 2 grand in the motor you could put double on that 4 stroke. Then you just need shocks.

Magic34
12-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Here is the question I asked about Rhinos and the BLM over on gd.com
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=92668

Bella
12-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I have 3 2007 Green 660's. They will be tuesday night at the latest. started with 10 and down to the last 3. $10,500 to anyone from HB
Remember 2007 has the digital dash already and the fuel gauge is in the dash.
Thanks

Cole Trickle
12-01-2006, 11:42 AM
I have 3 2007 Green 660's. They will be tuesday night at the latest. started with 10 and down to the last 3. $10,500 to anyone from HB
Remember 2007 has the digital dash already and the fuel gauge is in the dash.
Thanks
How much more was the MSRP on 07's?

2Driver
12-01-2006, 03:27 PM
07 MSRP was 9K. Available at Altus. SE was $9,600. I would hope above is OTD with taxes paid. :rolleyes:

riverracerx
12-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Altus doesn't have any!

RiverRatMike
12-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Pretty bold statement from a Honda guy that is constantly looking at the ass end of Yamahas. :crossx:..

Bella
12-01-2006, 05:21 PM
I think your numbers are wrong. they took and 06 to 07 increase and they added the digital dash as well as the fuel gauge.
Either way, you want one i got 3 left and the first 7 people said thanks and are very happy.
Brett
07 MSRP was 9K. Available at Altus. SE was $9,600. I would hope above is OTD with taxes paid. :rolleyes:

2Driver
12-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Altus doesn't have any!
Tire kicker :D :D
Bella, those figures are from my invoice..ie what I paid

THOR
12-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Yamaha bikes just dont have the performance or power of the Hondas. Never have and never will.

RiverRatMike
12-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Yamaha bikes just dont have the performance or power of the Hondas. Never have and never will.
Yeah right. I've got poof Honda's suck! I had a CRF450, big piece of crap! Burnt valves, trans problems you name it! Never again! Yamahas are by far the best, longest lasting bikes on the dirt and road. :crossx:

riverracerx
12-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Tire kicker
I bought one. Just not as nice as yours... :p

Todd969
12-01-2006, 08:29 PM
:idea: pics NOW :crossx:

2Driver
12-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Congrats, give it time, I bet it gets there quick. Nice meeting you and the family. I'll have something for the desert before long, besides the 97 land crusher

riverracerx
12-01-2006, 08:40 PM
pics NOW
It is coming.....
with the others I ordered.

Todd969
12-01-2006, 08:43 PM
It is coming.....
with the others I ordered.
Sweet, I hope the ride I gave Robbi was a deciding factor :)

THOR
12-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Yeah right. I've got poof Honda's suck! I had a CRF450, big piece of crap! Burnt valves, trans problems you name it! Never again! Yamahas are by far the best, longest lasting bikes on the dirt and road. :crossx:
Uhhh, okay. If you are happy with 2nd, 3rd or 4th places, then by all means ride a Yamaha. Hondas rules the desert and tracks. Drag your clapped out Yamadog to the baja and we'll see how you run. :cool:

Bella
12-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Not for a 2007 660
Tire kicker :D :D
Bella, those figures are from my invoice..ie what I paid