PDA

View Full Version : East Cape Mexico??

OutCole'd
12-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Where to stay??
Punta Colorado
Playa Del Sol
Palmas Del Cortez
Just a Father & son fishing trip for next year, so I dont need anything real fancy.

JB in so cal
12-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Where to stay??
Punta Colorado
Playa Del Sol
Palmas Del Cortez
Just a Father & son fishing trip for next year, so I dont need anything real fancy.
You ARE taking your real son this time, right?

sdpm
12-01-2006, 04:07 PM
My brother in law go's down there twice a year to the same place. I'll ask him and get back to you.

MayDaze
12-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Where to stay??
Punta Colorado
Playa Del Sol
Palmas Del Cortez
I've stayed at Playa Del Sol and Palmas Del Cortez... Palmas is probably a little nicer... Try and find the boat "Fresh Catch" they get you into fish

socalUltra22
12-01-2006, 04:15 PM
I've stayed at both Playa de sol and Palmas del cortez, both are very nice you can't go wrong with either one. I've taken several fishing trips there with my dad and some friends. Fishing is the best in the world, I've caught striped and blue marlin, dorado and sailfish and I have never been shut out there. My trips were in the summer though. The hotels cater to americans so there are no worries with the food and drining the water etc. Have a great trip, I want to go back now.

OutCole'd
12-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the tips. I have been to Loreto a dozen times and love it there, but would like to try some place new.

Schiada76
12-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Best hotel by far is Buena Vista Beach Resort.
I've stayed at all of them, well all of them up to about five years ago but I don't think they've built any new ones.
If you're bringing wifey definitely stay at BVBR, no scorpions or sun spiders will fall out of the palapa ceiling on her. :2purples:
The Palmas is closer to Los Barriles though, you can walk into town or to a local bar.

OutCole'd
12-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Which place has the best pool area, & kid friendly? My son is 14.

riverroyal
12-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Which place has the best pool area, & kid friendly? My son is 14.
every place is kid freindly at 14.Senoiritas

OutCole'd
12-02-2006, 10:46 AM
every place is kid freindly at 14.Senoiritas
A Cerveza for me & a shot of penicilan (sp) for the boy, gracias.....

THOR
12-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Where to stay??
Punta Colorado
Playa Del Sol
Palmas Del Cortez
Palmas is more upscale than Playa and right down the beach. Punta I know nothing about. Playa was great when I went with my Dad last month. Killed the Durado and Yellow fin.

Ultracrazy
12-03-2006, 01:26 AM
Best hotel by far is Buena Vista Beach Resort.
I've stayed at all of them, well all of them up to about five years ago but I don't think they've built any new ones.
If you're bringing wifey definitely stay at BVBR, no scorpions or sun spiders will fall out of the palapa ceiling on her. :2purples:
The Palmas is closer to Los Barriles though, you can walk into town or to a local bar.
I'll second this.........stayed at Palmas also........liked Buena more than Palmas.

TrojanDan
12-03-2006, 10:06 AM
I stayed at Buena Vista. Accomodations are "comfortable" but certainly nothing special. Stayed on the property the entire 5 days I was there. I went diving two days and fished the other two, best of both worlds. Killed the dorado and caught my first striped marlin (released). Great staff and one of the best fishing fleets. The other resorts listed are a little closer to the fishing grounds. The pangas were nice and well equipped.
Definitely take a portable dvd for your son since there's not much night life.

Beer Factor
12-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Where to stay??
Punta Colorado
Playa Del Sol
Palmas Del Cortez
I fish the Baja bums tournament almost every year and we all stay at playa del sol. Palmas de cortez is a little nicer and has a better pool area. Either one will take good care of you. I don't know much about the Punta colorado. Awesome fishing down there- "good Luck"

THOR
12-03-2006, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=TrojanDan] Killed the dorado and caught my first striped marlin (released). QUOTE]
Good. I sure hate to see folks bringing back Marlin when they need to be released.

TrojanDan
12-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Good. I sure hate to see folks bringing back Marlin when they need to be released.
I only keep what I eat. That Marlin was beautiful and would never think of keeping it. It was rather small (120 lbs) and was able to bring it on board to unhook it and snap a picture then watched it swim away. :cool:

Schiada76
12-03-2006, 12:41 PM
I stayed at Buena Vista. Accomodations are "comfortable" but certainly nothing special. Stayed on the property the entire 5 days I was there. I went diving two days and fished the other two, best of both worlds. Killed the dorado and caught my first striped marlin (released). Great staff and one of the best fishing fleets. The other resorts listed are a little closer to the fishing grounds. The pangas were nice and well equipped.
Definitely take a portable dvd for your son since there's not much night life.
Hell, the whole Cape is the fishing grounds! :D
The last time I was done my brother brought his son and a friend, non of them had fished Mexico before.
We trolled all over hell the first day and couldn't get bit. I looked at the skipper late in day and said, well I guess we need to head in. He said not until we hang SOMETHING.
Twenty minutes later we're on a school of Stripeys, multiple hookups and we get five to the boat and we're out of bait. Fifth fish the crew wanted to keep so I said go ahead and kill it, they immediately gut it and pull dead baits OUT OF THE STOMACH!!!! We hang two more on the stomach baits, farm one and could have hung more on some squid out of the one fish. We said go ahead and head in even though there was still mutiple boils all around us, you could see the Stipeys pushing bait everywhere.

TrojanDan
12-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Hell, the whole Cape is the fishing grounds! :D
That is very true. I should have said the "Dorado fishing grounds" as that was what I fishing for. For dorado, the fishing captains at BV preferred fishing near the lighthouse near Cabo Pulmo (I think that's where it is). For big tuna and marlin, the captain's headed straight out into the Gulf. A little too harry for a panga. :cool:

Schiada76
12-03-2006, 03:34 PM
That is very true. I should have said the "Dorado fishing grounds" as that was what I fishing for. For dorado, the fishing captains at BV preferred fishing near the lighthouse near Cabo Pulmo (I think that's where it is). For big tuna and marlin, the captain's headed straight out into the Gulf. A little too harry for a panga. :cool:
Depends how the weather is when you go. The first time I went to East Cape the water was "grease" calm, it looked like a pane of glass. There was a buoy about 18" in diameter holding fish about 10 miles off shore. Dorado, Tuna and Wahoo. The fleet fished it for three days, the third day it was thirty miles offshore and pangas were still on it. Every single bait in the water was instant bendo, iron, poppers surface plug. It was a blast. The last day a super seiner pulled up and waited for the fleet to leave then they wrapped everything under the buoy. :cry:
You never know what you're going to see or catch down there. :D

MayDaze
12-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Depends how the weather is when you go. The first time I went to East Cape the water was "grease" calm, it looked like a pane of glass. There was a buoy about 18" in diameter holding fish about 10 miles off shore. Dorado, Tuna and Wahoo. The fleet fished it for three days, the third day it was thirty miles offshore and pangas were still on it. Every single bait in the water was instant bendo, iron, poppers surface plug. It was a blast. The last day a super seiner pulled up and waited for the fleet to leave then they wrapped everything under the buoy. :cry:
You never know what you're going to see or catch down there. :D
It's a blast to stay close to the shore and pick up some Rooster fish.....

Schiada76
12-03-2006, 03:50 PM
It's a blast to stay close to the shore and pick up some Rooster fish.....
Oh hell yes! Or just walk the shore with a jig stick throwing iron or a surface plug. I've caught nice Jack Crevalle and Roosters of the beach. It's fun just watching the Roosters just blow up on the plug even if you don't hook 'em.
This is making me want to book a trip! :D

moneypit
12-03-2006, 04:41 PM
I go to the Plamas every year. Be sure to get pool side. The Palmas is by far the best resort.
I can say that by far, Jesus and Hugo are the best captain and crew hand from any fleet. Jesus will put you on fish when nobody else will. I dont know what boat they are on now. It happens that these guys change boats often. Talk to Herman at the Palmas and he will hook you up. Need anymore info, feel free to PM me.
This is a 50 bull that these guys put me on last year.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/84DSC00044.JPG