PDA

View Full Version : Breaking windows...

Froggystyle
12-04-2006, 09:38 PM
I keep hearing people talk about using a spark plug, but can't for the life of me figure out why or how... When I was growing up, I heard that the littlest chip of the insulation would break a window... so of course the next time through a junkyard we tested out the theory. Not accurate. What does break them is a center-punch like is used for machining. Every time in fact.
What is the trick with the spark plug, and who the hell figured that one out?

riverbound
12-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Its the ceramic off the spark plug that people USED to use. now the tool of choice is the punch like you stated.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
Ask 460, big lue and his relatives ..................... um nevermind:D
I have done it in my backyard when I was young. You have to throw it hard though;)

Rexone
You take a wrist rocket slingshot and fire the spark plug into the window. It works pretty well.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 09:41 PM
now the tool of choice is the punch like you stated.
and you know this how........:idea:

Big Kahunaa
it will do the trick on non saftey glass

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
You take a wrist rocket slingshot and fire the spark plug into the window. It works pretty well.
Damn mike, why you gotta be all lound and schit:D

Kilrtoy
12-04-2006, 09:42 PM
What does break them is a center-punch like is used for machining. Every time in fact.
What is the trick with the spark plug, and who the hell figured that one out?
Same concept, use a little more strenght next time

Rexone
12-04-2006, 09:42 PM
I've heard that impacting a window with old used Nikes works ok too.

riverbound
12-04-2006, 09:43 PM
and you know this how........:idea:
Ummm...no comment ;)

Froggystyle
12-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Why wouldn't a ball bearing work the same way? Or a rock? Why the spark plug insulator?
I imagined it would work, but I am just curious as to why, or if anyone even knows.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 09:44 PM
LMFAO:D:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Just give the guy a boot to the chest and make sure he is standing by the window:D

riverbound
12-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Why wouldn't a ball bearing work the same way? Or a rock? Why the spark plug insulator?
I imagined it would work, but I am just curious as to why, or if anyone even knows.
something to do with the insulator absorbing the noise. I dont really know the technical aspects, but I know it works.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 09:48 PM
something to do with the insulator absorbing the noise. I dont really know the technical aspects, but I know it works.
I agree, it really does work. Hey wes, just try in on your neighbor's new ride:D Then report back to ***boat;)

riverbound
12-04-2006, 09:49 PM
I agree, it really does work. Hey wes, just try in on your neighbor's new ride:D Then report back to ***boat;)
How do you know it works?? ;)

Big Kahunaa
12-04-2006, 09:49 PM
i don't know why it works but every car that is on it's way to the junk yard doesn't have any windows in it when it gets there

Froggystyle
12-04-2006, 09:58 PM
i don't know why it works but every car that is on it's way to the junk yard doesn't have any windows in it when it gets there
Clearly you have never been to "Ray's Auto Salvage" in cosmopolitan downtown Sonoma. AKA "The place Wes basically bought every part for every car he built as a kid growing up"
I was a junkyard dog. I loved that place. I knew where everything was, and though about the "inventory" before starting on projects. You definitely tried to keep it at Ray's, because if you had to go down to Napa to "Pick-your-part" you were screwed price-wise.

Kachina26
12-04-2006, 10:00 PM
I heard this and tried it on a customer's window. Thank God I missed. Once my co worker told me he wasn't kidding, I tried it on a totalled vehicle out back. I crushed a spark plug in a vice and took a small piece, no bigger than the size of a smilie :D and tossed it ever so gently toward a side door window of the totalled vehicle. Let me tell you, that window dropped like right focking now! And it was ever so quiet. I don't konw why, but that's what happened.
This post was approved by Mrs. K26
she wants to make sure I'm not stirring up shit.

Froggystyle
12-04-2006, 10:05 PM
I heard this and tried it on a customer's window. Thank God I missed. Once my co worker told me he wasn't kidding, I tried it on a totalled vehicle out back. I crushed a spark plug in a vice and took a small piece, no bigger than the size of a smilie :D and tossed it ever so gently toward a side door window of the totalled vehicle. Let me tell you, that window dropped like right focking now! And it was ever so quiet. I don't konw why, but that's what happened.
See, this is what I have heard, and tried probably four or five different times with different pieces of glass that "needed" shattering. I have never seen it work, but only heard about it.
I am starting to think it is like the urban legend about the oxygen bottle that had the top knocked off and went through two cement walls, a big rig and totalled three cars in the parking lot before it came to a stop. Nobody ever actually saw it happen, but everyone knows someone who swore they saw it...

Jordy
12-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I heard that too. Think they tried it on Mythbusters and found that the fungus and jam in the used kicks just melted the glass away with no noise. :D :D :D

Kachina26
12-04-2006, 10:11 PM
See, this is what I have heard, and tried probably four or five different times with different pieces of glass that "needed" shattering. I have never seen it work, but only heard about it.
I am starting to think it is like the urban legend about the oxygen bottle that had the top knocked off and went through two cement walls, a big rig and totalled three cars in the parking lot before it came to a stop. Nobody ever actually saw it happen, but everyone knows someone who swore they saw it...
I did it, more than once. It was a side window, which is different than a front windshield. It was rolled up instead of down (don't know if that mattered). Really, I just tossed it kinda like a dart tossed at the bullseye. Try it on a window that you don't want to break, I promise it will work then :D

Moneypitt
12-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I have seen a story on escaping from a submerged car where the doors and windows are jammed due to loss of battery power. The tool of choice was a spring loaded centerpunch. Just put it against the window and press. The spring action shatters the window allowing the occupants to escape in the event of fire or water submersion. Stands to reason it would work just as well from the outside. The "safety experts" recomended carrying one in the console/glovebox, so a common theif would/could explain away the tool in a traffic stop/shakedown............MP

Flying Sterling
12-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Ok my neighbors address is uhhhhhh one number less than mine. Try his car. Ok try all his cars.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 10:14 PM
How do you know it works?? ;)
Because I have done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Ok my neighbors address is uhhhhhh one number less than mine. Try his car. Ok try all his cars.
LOL, how about we try on jordy's car:idea:

Jordy
12-04-2006, 10:21 PM
LOL, how about we try on jordy's car:idea:
What car??? I dont have a car. :notam:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 10:26 PM
What car??? I dont have a car. :notam:
Oops I mean redneck caddy:D

wsuwrhr
12-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Woudn't calling someone a redneck be a racial slur?
Just curious.
Brian

Jordy
12-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Redneck caddy??? Where did you come up with that??? Just because my rims ain't spinnin' everytime I stop and I don't have 27 woofers and 32 TV's in my ride... it's just there to pull the boat. :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Just curious.
Brian
Go ahead, start that lame ass shit up again brian. I guess you like negativity. I noticed that you have been in it lately:rolleyes:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Redneck caddy??? Where did you come up with that??? Just because my rims ain't spinnin' everytime I stop and I don't have 27 woofers and 32 TV's in my ride... it's just there to pull the boat. :D
All you need is a few arizona pinstripes and your golden:D

Rexone
12-04-2006, 10:35 PM
You mean he still has those spinners. Those things are so 04.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-04-2006, 10:39 PM
You mean he still has those spinners. Those things are so 04.
Ding!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wrong again mikey. I dont have spinners on my truck anymore. I do have a nice set of dub bellagio's on my lexus though;)
Dont you have some inventory to do dammit........ :rollside:

Jordy
12-04-2006, 10:41 PM
I do have a nice set of dub bellagio's on my lexus though;)
Don't those spin??? :idea:
You know, in all reality, spinners are pretty cool....
That is, if you like shit that sucks. :D :D

Riomouse911
12-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Several car thieves/ burglars I have come across in my travels used the chips in the following way:
They would carefully break the insulating ceramic from the plug, and try to keep a piece about 1/4" to 1/3" long in tact so it has the hole in the center (looks like a small life-saver). They would than run a string or shoelace through it, and wear it as a necklace. When they saw a car they wanted into, they would pull the necklace off, swing the ceramic, break the window, and put the necklace back on. Quick, easy, and missed by a lot of cops on searches (It's a misdemeanor to have them, considered burglary tools in Ca)
I did not believe the window smashing stories either until I actually threw a 1/4" piece of ceramic insulator against the rear passenger side window of a Mazda wagon. It literally blew a hole through the glass the size of a brick, shattering the glass into a million pieces. Believe me, if it didn't work, crooks wouldn't waste their time with it.
Yes, the punch-tools are much better, and can be used from inside to escape as well. But the ceramic insulator really does work, and has been used by thieves for decades to get into cars. (I first started running into them in 1991/1992 or so)

beyondhelpin
12-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Dont ask me how I know (Dad used to tell me he hoped I had a kid just like myself!) but the easist way to drop a car window is the use one of the old Daisy BB guns. The one you cock one time with a lever action. Drops out a window with no noise at a distance. Works almost every time. Right combination of mass and velocity! :220v: :220v: :220v:

Kilrtoy
12-04-2006, 10:53 PM
REALLY
I wonder who said this
Funny, I felt the same way coming over here HB is a cool place, you just have to stay out of the drama dept.

wsuwrhr
12-04-2006, 10:55 PM
I noticed that you have been in it lately:rolleyes:
????

whiteworks
12-04-2006, 11:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8tx3B5YxNQ

Jordy
12-04-2006, 11:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8tx3B5YxNQ
That's wild. Who knew???

boatnam2
12-04-2006, 11:14 PM
her is another little car deal i didnt believe...you can open a locked car door with your remote over the cell phone.so if you ever lock your car keys in your car instaed of calling triple a just call home and have someone hit your back remote.

Huckleberry
12-05-2006, 01:39 AM
her is another little car deal i didnt believe...you can open a locked car door with your remote over the cell phone.so if you ever lock your car keys in your car instaed of calling triple a just call home and have someone hit your back remote.
Nope. Doesn't work. It's one of those urban legends.
Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp)
I tried it just to confirm it does/doesn't work. No workey!

Kachina26
12-05-2006, 02:06 AM
REALLY
I wonder who said this
Funny, I felt the same way coming over here HB is a cool place, you just have to stay out of the drama dept.
Paul B.

boatnam2
12-05-2006, 05:00 AM
Nope. Doesn't work. It's one of those urban legends.
Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp)
I tried it just to confirm it does/doesn't work. No workey!
really the car we did it on was a 05 chevy truck,will try it on my dodge.

SmokinLowriderSS
12-05-2006, 05:42 AM
Just curious.
Brian
He was just noting Jordy's sunburn. :p

YeLLowBoaT
12-05-2006, 05:47 AM
The reason why "safty glass" breaks if you nick the surface is that it has a soft temper. When you temper glass all of the strength goes to the surface, if you disturb the surface it will shatter. Its the same reason why you can't drill or cut it. you must drill/cut b4 you temper.

Mandelon
12-05-2006, 05:49 AM
might depend on the type of remote, alarm, phone and signal strength.

Garrddogg
12-05-2006, 06:46 AM
Once I knew a guy THAT knew a guy that would carry a piece of the insulating ceramic stuff in his pocket and would hold a piece between his index and middle finger and slap the window and it would almost silently fall :crossx:
Force (i used to know a guy) 26

rrrr
12-05-2006, 07:43 AM
Ask 460, big lue and his relatives ..................... um nevermind:D
I have done it in my backyard when I was young. You have to throw it hard though;)
LOL, you need to write a book...
HINTS FROM DA HOOD......
How to vandalize stuff without getting caught

Sherpa
12-05-2006, 08:33 AM
spring center punch works every time.......... I keep one in my truck........
---Wes, you grew up in Sonoma-?
--Sherpa

Bense468
12-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Maybe your too lean on the spark plugs

Jbb
12-05-2006, 08:48 AM
I broke a window at Brown's place once...big frozen chicken flew right through it....Bang! :p

jbtrailerjim
12-05-2006, 08:56 AM
I've tried it before and it does work. It was a fairly small piece and it shattered the whole side window of a car and was real quiet when it broke. You don't have to throw it hard. I have no idea why it works though.

Kilrtoy
12-05-2006, 09:02 AM
I see a whole lotta 10851 /459 SUSPECTS in this thread

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Why you gettin' all techincal and schit:rollside:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-05-2006, 09:16 AM
We know that youve got a few cousins that are good with the spark plugs...:D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-05-2006, 09:35 AM
my freind:rolleyes: always used a rock.. easy to use, easy to find :D
Plus they come equipped with multiple fingerprints:D

460 jus getn it
12-05-2006, 09:43 AM
3rd post and my name gets dropped in this. Actully, I KEEP A SOFTBALL BAT in the trunk....Yea, anyone remember that.